Default Snomaster ice maker 12V on special

The Snomaster ice maker 12V 15kg is on special on Takealot for R5499.00.
    Still a bit expensive, but its power usage (110W) seems way less than running an ice maker through an inverter.
    I'd prefer to take the pain once on the purchase price (especially at R2k off), instead of getting a cheaper AC unit and suffering every time I use it due to increased power consumption. YMMV

https://www.takealot.com/snomaster-s...v/PLID53984026
    Stuart

2006 Toyota Land Cruiser 100 4.7L V8

Default Re: Snomaster ice maker 12V on special

Do you have a camp fridge / freezer? Might be worthwhile to look at the Snowva ice tray...

I have a 40L engel fridge. I rarely use its freezer capability.

The engel 40L sips power like a tiny humming bird drinking nectar from an ipomoea heavenly blue. Max power draw is 2.5A / hour.
    If I run the ice maker @ 8A/h for 3 hours a night that's 24A, plus about 10A for the fridge depending on how hot or cold it is.
    The national luna 25A charger that came with my NL green box should easily put that back the next day after just over an hours driving.
    Last edited by slodj; 2021/06/14 at 04:29 PM.
    Stuart

4. The Following User Says Thank You to slodj For This Useful Post:

Is the Snowmaster 12v unit any good?
    Would love to hear from people who have it

I should have been taking delivery of my ice maker today.
    Unfortunately, yesterday I saw that my order had been cancelled by Takealot due to lack of stock.
    So I went to the site of the company selling the ice maker(not Snomaster), and lo and behold, they have stock!
    So fortunate for them to get stock right after failing to supply my order due to lack of it.

Because I didn't want them to lose out on my order, and because the ice maker is still being advertised on special, I ordered again.
    Next ETD (estimated time of disappointment) 8 July.
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by slodj View Post
    I have a 40L engel fridge. I rarely use its freezer capability.

The engel 40L sips power like a tiny humming bird drinking nectar from an ipomoea heavenly blue. Max power draw is 2.5A / hour.
    If I run the ice maker @ 8A/h for 3 hours a night that's 24A, plus about 10A for the fridge depending on how hot or cold it is.
    The national luna 25A charger that came with my NL green box should easily put that back the next day after just over an hours driving.
    Be careful with fridges power draw. That Engel 2.5A/hour is averaged over 24 hours. So it actually draw 4-6A/hour for the times that it is On and 0A/h for the time when it is Off. Manufacturers purposely use obscure ways of rating 12V fridges to hide the facts.

Engel say 0.5 - 2.5 A/h. What they are actually saying is that if you set the temp tp 10 deg C and the ambient is 12 deg C it will switch on for 2.5 hours in a 24 hour period, giving you 0.5 A/h averaged over 24hours.. Now try doing the fridge at -18 deg C at an ambient of 35 deg C and see what happens to your power consumption.

And as usual, there is nothing for nothing, no wonder drug and no silver bullet. 110W is 110W at 12V and 110W at 220v and still draws 110W from the battery and gives you 110W of cooling. No way around it, if it draws less, it cools less, that's physics.

Also that National Luna 25A charger wont put it back in just over an hour, simply because the battery wont suck it up in that time. It's not a linear rate, it may start at 25 Amp for a few minutes and then tailor off, ultimately requiring several hours to put it all back.

-------------------

Just some food for thought incase somebody lands up disappointed or with vrot meat and warm beer.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Be careful with fridges power draw. That Engel 2.5A/hour is averaged over 24 hours. So it actually draw 4-6A/hour for the times that it is On and 0A/h for the time when it is Off. Manufacturers purposely use obscure ways of rating 12V fridges to hide the facts.

Engel say 0.5 - 2.5 A/h. What they are actually saying is that if you set the temp tp 10 deg C and the ambient is 12 deg C it will switch on for 2.5 hours in a 24 hour period, giving you 0.5 A/h averaged over 24hours.. Now try doing the fridge at -18 deg C at an ambient of 35 deg C and see what happens to your power consumption.

And as usual, there is nothing for nothing, no wonder drug and no silver bullet. 110W is 110W at 12V and 110W at 220v and still draws 110W from the battery and gives you 110W of cooling. No way around it, if it draws less, it cools less, that's physics.

Also that National Luna 25A charger wont put it back in just over an hour, simply because the battery wont suck it up in that time. It's not a linear rate, it may start at 25 Amp for a few minutes and then tailor off, ultimately requiring several hours to put it all back.

-------------------

Just some food for thought incase somebody lands up disappointed or with vrot meat and warm beer.
    Thanks Fluffy. Absolutely, ambient temperature, the temp the fridge is set at, how often it's opened and closed, how empty or full it is, will all affect power usage.

I assume, based on Engel's claim, that the 40L will use 2.5A / hour if set at its lowest temperature and operated in nominal ambient conditions eg 20C or 25C.

Still, I camped, this winter, used my fridge, turned it down at night, charged cell phone, and in 3 days 28% of my battery was used.
    In full summer, and with more people opening and closing, this will be higher, how much I don't yet know.

I have a lithium battery, which so far seems to charge at the charger amp rating. It happily guzzles 15A or 30A per hour from my victron charger.

For example, my 108Ah battery is currently at 74% - 80Ah.
    When charging, the battery bluetooth shows the following:

Charging at 15A/h: 15.13A coming in, 1h53 mins to full
    Charging at 30A/h: 30.12A coming in, 55 mins to full

Admittedly, I haven't independantly timed this to verify that these times are actually achieved.

I am worried though that my alternator might not cope (I think it's 80A), which is why the NL green box is not connected yet. Still need to research this more.
    Last edited by slodj; 2021/07/03 at 01:40 PM.
    Stuart

Good news! My 2nd attempt at ordering this ice maker worked

It has been shipped, is with the courier, and I should get it Monday <Insert dance for joy emoji here>.

And it's still on special at takealot, R2k less than anywhere else

I'll try to follow up with how well it works, power draw etc.
    Stuart

Sweet excitement has given way to the bitter ashes of disappointment.

Takealot moved up the delivery date to today, via an SMS at 6h30. A bit inconvenient as I had no way of knowing when they were arriving, and stuff to do.
    Anyway, this worked out and the ice maker was delivered at 16h15. New shiny on a Sunday. Well done Takealot!

Only ....... it's the wrong one. But in a very subtle way.

It is the 12 volt ice maker, but looks like an older model. I received a ZB-15D. The latest model is a ZBC-15D.

This is rather odd, as the specs of this ice maker, on Takealot, match the latest model as advertised by SnoMaster, but do not match the one I got.
    The model number is not specified on Takealot, but the supplier, Ice Cold Online, clearly advertise this ice maker as a ZBC-15D.
    Takealot are also advertising this as being part of 'SnoMaster's Full Range'. Yet the ZB-15D I received is not advertised anywhere on SnoMaster's website. In fact it does not appear to be sold new by anyone. Thus it cannot be part of SnoMaster's range, anymore.

I feel that either someone has made a mistake, or someone is trying to con me into buying old stock.

Tomorrow I'll call SnoMaster to find out more about this ZB-15D.
    Then I'll call Ice Cold Online.
    Then a replacement or refund request to Takealot.
    Last edited by slodj; 2021/07/04 at 08:15 PM.
    Stuart

All is good I spoke to SnoMaster. The model I received is the very latest, just come out it seems. SnoMaster and Ice Cold Online are still displaying the old model number on their sites.

So, kudos to Takealot, Ice Cold Online and SnoMaster.

The new model is 800g lighter than the outgoing at 16.4Kg.

Its power draw seems to be 7A.

It has a black BH connector and cable for 12V.

I'm taking it camping at Ruah so I'll try to give some stats after this weekend.
    Last edited by slodj; 2021/07/05 at 10:13 PM.
    Stuart