Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Which diesel is best ?

A few years ago after a service I only put in 10PPM and took a trip down to DBN from JHb. When I checked the oil level the oil was stil clean (same as in the container colour) and not black like a diesel.
    I then put in 50 ppm (to search for Sasol garages made me tired) and returned home and when I checked the oil it was black.
    Does the 10 ppm keep the oil cleaner?

Land Rover Freelander 2009 Td4 2.2 HSE (his)
    Land Rover Freelander 2005 td4 2.0 HSE facelift (hers)

Modified Jurgens xt 75

Quote Originally Posted by PieterOos View Post
    It might have changed in the meanwhile, but last time when I checked Engen did not meet the minimum cetane requirement for the GD-6 engine?
    <br>

For what it's worth, the most important factors for me are cetane and then contamination. Cetane is as important for diesel engines as octane is for petrol engines.

How to deal with contamination and PPM has been discussed in this thread.

Manufacturers specify the minimum cetane rating for optimal performance (e.g. last time I checked BMW stipulate 51; VAG 50). I thus searched the internet when I bought my new diesel quattro in Jan 2019 and found the following cetane ratings (please note that some of the sources and websites are dated, so there might be newer info)

BP = 55
    Shell = 51
    Shell V power = 55 (tbc)
    Engen = 45
    Sasol 50ppm = 49
    Sasol 10ppm = 52
    Caltex = 48
    Total = 50
    Total Excellium = 54

I keep a detailed log book and try to be diligent with my fuel consumption calculations. The worst consumption I get is with Engen, and the best with Sasol and Shell - this is with both my previous quattro and the new quattro (soft-roaders - not genuine 4x4 as some might say
    Last edited by dupacc; 2021/06/21 at 09:59 AM.

3. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dupacc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lammie View Post
    A few years ago after a service I only put in 10PPM and took a trip down to DBN from JHb. When I checked the oil level the oil was stil clean (same as in the container colour) and not black like a diesel.
    I then put in 50 ppm (to search for Sasol garages made me tired) and returned home and when I checked the oil it was black.
    Does the 10 ppm keep the oil cleaner?
    Yes, the low sulphur diesel is less "harmful" to the engine oil. I fill up with 10ppm 90% of the time and have no oil discoloration between services. I find no performance or economy difference between 10ppm and 50ppm. The km/L i get is more related to my right foot.

I was initially using Sasol (from Dastek) and decided to try the Engen by Pierre van Ryneveld. Bakkie appeared to feel more responsive (very scientific!) and consumption was about the same.

However on the last two tanks, one from Engen in Highveld and then Pierre van Ryneveld, the consumption has been worse.
    These fill ups happened a month apart.

Earlier post it was mention how the Engen test results varied...not keen to go back to Engen regardless of how good it used to feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown KZN View Post
    Afternoon all

As a relatively new Hilux owner, 2.8 manual, 2018 - I am new to the diesel world.

Initially I simply filled up at the local Shell and selected the more expensive one - V Power.

I have since noticed that Engen and BP don’t have different types of diesel just 1 option and around a rand per litre cheaper vs the Shell option.

Has anyone tested / a viewpoint on which diesel delivers best milage / which is best or cleanest ?
    From my understanding, the lower the sulphur content, the better the fuel. The "normal" is 500ppm (parts per million i think). Then you get 50ppm which is the recommended one, and only Sasol sell 10ppm.
    Between brands, i will be VERY surprised if anyone can find a difference. The anecdotes can only be relied on if all other factors are controlled, i.e. routes, acceleration, speed etc.

Guys... I'm not going to tell you which fuel/company are best, but merely try to explain how the fuel business work... somewhere I've seen somebody mentions that there are only 4 fuel(seems like) refineries in the good old of RSA... there are actually 6... Cape Town, Mossel bay, Durban(x2), Sasol and Secunda..... that means ALL the different fuel companies in that area draws "mainly"(MAINLY) from that refinery... however, there are pipelines from DBN to the reef, sometimes companies imports refined products, sometimes an excess has been been produced and then it gets exported.... etc,etc... it is a very 'fluid-ie' process (excuse the pun...) ... due to availability and shutdowns of refineries, fuel are moved across the country, fuel may be sent by ship from DBN to CPT and visa-versa, East Londen is replenished by ship coming from anywhere there is product....MSB, DBN or CPT, sometimes also import stuff...... it's all about availability and cost effectiveness.. as I say... "fluid-ie"...
    Now some time ago, there was a favourite saying that SA's diesel is 'dirty' - it is not and was not ever 'dirty'...... what has been referred to was the -sulphur contend- and that is where the 50ppm and 10ppm stems from.... ppm=parts per million.... it used to be 500ppm... the whole world's diesel was 500ppm... but due to emissions controls and need for catalytic converters and more advanced engines, extended service periods, etc, etc... this figure needed to drop.... the main concern for this sulphur-thing is that it clogs-up the cat converters.... that is why there is a "de-coking-button" somewhere on the dash/console.... (read the manual)..... yes, some of it ends up in the oil, but the oil has detergents and stuff to clean that or hold it in suspension until the next service too. This is not a big issue if you use good oil, the big thing is the cat(platinum,etc) ...the 10 & 50ppm has nothing to do with calorific values or performance.... performance and fuel economy is more defined/controlled by the density of the product which depends on which crude they used or could get hold of, etc,etc... the 10 or 50ppm-thing, to me is more of a personal preference-thing and unless you drive a Porsche or some million dollar-car or you're still in guarantee-contractual-requirement and do your services regularly, 50ppm will be fine... but if you like to give the best and have the money, do the 10ppm... it's your preference..
    All the diesels and fuels I've been talking about is made to a specific specification or rather within parameters of a spec... the MAIN thing is, not to get CONTAMINATED(other fuel or dirt) fuel in your system... that means to fill-up at a renowned or trusted source.... and beware of the "cheap" diesel from a guy around the corner, from a 25lt plastic container-type-thing..... people do throw stuff in there... like paraffin, etc... the car will still go, but....
    o ja, the difference of the fuels between the companies (the Totals/Shells,etc,etc-the majors) is the additives they put in their fuels... that is different stuff they put in there, BUT all of it does mainly ONE THING.... and that is "cleaning" the engine/injection system/intake, etc, etc,... also nothing to do with performance... does't matter WHAT the add says....

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cazper For This Useful Post:

All Im saying is stay away from Sasol. My average on Sasol was about 50km less on a tank than any other brand.

This reminds of the argument as to which butter is better.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Quote Originally Posted by unrealchris View Post
    All Im saying is stay away from Sasol. My average on Sasol was about 50km less on a tank than any other brand.

Let me rather sit on my hands!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

It all depends upon where you are.

All the diesel and petrol that is manufactured by Sasol in Secunda is marketed in the old Transvaal by the various fuel companies including Sasol, with the shortfall coming from Durban. The fuel companies do add some propriety "doepa", or so I was told.

Tjerk Lammers
    Service station owner in Pretoria for over 50 years.

My Mercedes C270 cdi W203 is 16 years old. It has 480,000 km on the clock.
    I bought from a fanatical friend with 50,000km.
    He advised me to always put 50ppm Sasol. The Merc mechanic said the same.
    I once topped up with whatever they put in in Mozambique, calculated to get me enough miles to finish the tank as I got down to the Sasol at the bottom of the hill back into SA.
    When I got the car I always went to Sasol for 50ppm. Then when 10ppm came out, I stuck to that, except when out of town, and forced to take 50ppm at some other brand station.

On occasion my service interval has stretched to 30,000km. Twice. Because cashflow!

I am still on the original turbo.
    Gearbox has been reconditioned, and torque converter replaced.
    I'm on my 3rd set of injectors. (Changed twice)

2 years ago Mercia started getting a bit smoky. Actually very smoky. Like white smoke overtaking me at the traffic lights. And the turbo got all whimpy and a bit squeally. So we limped off to our favourite road side mechanic. The boost pipe was shot (for the third time). After replacing the boost pipe and cleaning the EGR valve it was still smokey. I was convinced the turbo was finally retiring. But the mechanic said the injectors were more likely fouled up. But cashflow!

He suggested I start putting 200ml of 2-stroke oil into the tank with every full tank. No pump jockey has ever looked at me strangely. Apparently lots of older diesels do this.

A few tanks later the smoking stopped completely. The old bat goes like crazy, and is good for another few hundred thousand.

Almost exclusively Sasol 10ppm or Something else 50ppm.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MarkCorke For This Useful Post:

Ugh, stupid FNB eBucks gives me back R4 a liter for fuel at Engen, and it is hard to argue with that... Luckily I put in 50ppm diesel at an Engen close to me in Pretoria East that is super busy, so I'm assuming they won't scrape the bottom of the tank or leave it for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkCorke View Post
    2 years ago Mercia started getting a bit smoky. Actually very smoky. Like white smoke overtaking me at the traffic lights. And the turbo got all whimpy and a bit squeally. So we limped off to our favourite road side mechanic. The boost pipe was shot (for the third time). After replacing the boost pipe and cleaning the EGR valve it was still smokey. I was convinced the turbo was finally retiring. But the mechanic said the injectors were more likely fouled up. But cashflow!

He suggested I start putting 200ml of 2-stroke oil into the tank with every full tank. No pump jockey has ever looked at me strangely. Apparently lots of older diesels do this.

A few tanks later the smoking stopped completely. The old bat goes like crazy, and is good for another few hundred thousand.

Almost exclusively Sasol 10ppm or Something else 50ppm.
    Now you have done it!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

18. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MarkCorke View Post

He suggested I start putting 200ml of 2-stroke oil into the tank with every full tank.
    What rubbish!

I add 500ml to a full tank!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

Silly question but before 50 & 10ppm diesel hit the market... Did you old ballies argue which garages 500ppm gave better milage.. Asking for a friend
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Unless you consistantly getting 100km or more per tank between brands the whole mileage thing is not even a consideration.The most important thing is that you get clean diesel,not in PPm but in cleanliness..I recon no one here has ever taken a small clear container and filled it with R10 or so to check colour and visible issues..
    I do it on site regularly and once picked up that i was sent 10ppm instead of 50ppm..It was very clear,nearly like water and i closed my site thinking it was until it was confirmed 10ppm.
    If you know the colour of 50ppm and you draw a sample on your travels at a small station you at least know what you getting

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by montanaZA View Post
    Interesting thread.

I drive a 3.0D4D - it seems to prefer 50ppm vs 10ppm.

Any observations in this regard?
    I have always used the Sasol 10ppm on my VW diesels because of the low sulphur. With my new 190KW Amarok I noticed the engine getting rougher and “clattery”. Only 10000km on the clock. Sounded like a real truck. Was quite concerning and was always checking the oil. On a recent trip to Durban I “had” to fill up with Shell V power for the trip back home to JHB and immediately noticed the clanging is gone, engine smooth again. Am going to try a couple more tanks and see how it goes but would be interested if anyone else has had the same experience. Perhaps the V6 needs the extra lubrication from higher sulphur content? CanÂ’t really comment on consumption, the V6 only cares about doing any speed with any load on any road and to hell with fuel 😁

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    What rubbish!

I add 500ml to a full tank!
    ... thats heavy consumption,
    ... must drive a lot of sandways.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

... 50ppm is 0.005% !!!!!?

If you wash your overalls with plain water
    then the water stays quite clean,
    ... but ... if you add detergent in it goes
    and makes the wash water dirty ?!

10 ppm is an average ,
    the fuel varies from about 5ppm-15ppm
    & 50 ppm probly varies about 25ppm-75ppm
    or something like that and who say garage x
    always consistantly maintains a given ug tank as 10 or 50 ?

Theres probably more dirt, water and crud
    in a garages ground tanks than the quanta
    of S ppm etc we talking about

Fuel specs have/are changing to meet, address
    & comply with emission legislation more than
    customers engine performance or health etc

What are suppliers profit margins contributions
    for 5ppm, 50ppm , 500ppm etc and could
    that somehow be relevant !!!

etc
    etc

rant
    rant ....
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2021/06/22 at 07:12 AM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

Quote Originally Posted by dimitricon View Post
    I have always used the Sasol 10ppm on my VW diesels because of the low sulphur. With my new 190KW Amarok I noticed the engine getting rougher and “clattery”. Only 10000km on the clock. Sounded like a real truck. Was quite concerning and was always checking the oil. On a recent trip to Durban I “had” to fill up with Shell V power for the trip back home to JHB and immediately noticed the clanging is gone, engine smooth again. Am going to try a couple more tanks and see how it goes but would be interested if anyone else has had the same experience. Perhaps the V6 needs the extra lubrication from higher sulphur content? CanÂ’t really comment on consumption, the V6 only cares about doing any speed with any load on any road and to hell with fuel 😁
    My mate also has a V6 and says the same thing about the noise when using 10ppm.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast