Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Which diesel is best ?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown KZN View Post
    Very interesting results, no votes for Shell, BP, Total and Caltex.

Sasol and Engen with the honours.

Does anyone if itís only Shell that offers 2 different types of diesel?
    Some of my bakkie's best consumption was on Shell, unfortunately not one close to where I stay. BP I get similar consumption to Sasol, never tried Caltex but a friend with an Amarok V6 swears by it. Total also not bad consumption, I think they sell 10 and 50ppm.
    Last edited by Hennie84; 2021/06/14 at 06:33 AM.

Where I get Ucount points --> Caltex

Where I consistently get clean diesel.

Your first consideration for where to buy diesel on a day to day long term basis is not cheapest or best consumption, but cleanest. To me that is not linked to a specific brand, but more to the specific garage. Some garages tanks are just cleaner than other's or their filtering is better.

And off, course, that theory goes out the window when you have to fill up diesel in some small one horse town or in Botswana or Zambia.

Really, don't stress or overthink this too much. My current 2.8 is my 6th diesel vehicle in 20 years. Not once got 'bad' diesel. I never fill up with 10 ppm. It runs on 50ppm, even had some of 500ppm through it as well, but at least it was clean.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/06/14 at 06:50 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Most brands get fuel from the same depo..The additive is the only thing that changes.
    Toyota actively market engen because dealers use engen oil product and more often have fuel accounts at engen stations.
    The best diesel to use is at the station where contamination is monitored and quality product a priority.
    We have a place in Bloem where diesel is R1.58 cheaper than me..Thats less than my cost price..I hear of guys having issues with their vehicles after a few fill ups there.
    Many of these guys receive fuel from transporters who dont make sure of quality product,have any additive added and some will take the chance of using small ratios of parafin just to score a buck or two.
    So always check who is delivering at these cheaper places and make sure its at least a reputabel company

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hennie84 View Post
    Interesting, my brother and I got our worst consumption with Engen, granted that was with petrol vehicles. With my 2.4 Hilux the consumption was also terrible on Engen.

The other major reason I don't use Engen is because of a friend that works on the Durban Engen plant shutdown every year and he's sent me photos of the crap that's taken out of the valves there.
    Petrol and Diesel are totally different and fuell doesnt contribute much to Fuel consumption >> you probably just had a major service on your 2.4 >. Petrol you can have anything and its all the same , just another badge but Engen Diesel is better on your Engine than say Sasol according to the experts which is what this thread is about >>

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post

sasol
    Totally agree. Try and stay with 10 ppm where ever possibly.

Don't get fooled by cheaper diesel.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spook For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Petrol and Diesel are totally different and fuell doesnt contribute much to Fuel consumption >> you probably just had a major service on your 2.4 >. Petrol you can have anything and its all the same , just another badge but Engen Diesel is better on your Engine than say Sasol according to the experts which is what this thread is about >>
    Which "experts"? Sounds like a matter of opinion.

I fail to see how a service will affect diesel consumption. I'm also comparing Sasol 10ppm which as far as I know is not available in PE to Engen 50ppm.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown KZN View Post
    Thanks spiceman - which App, Pitstops ?

I have downloaded it, very interesting
    Thats the one. I heard of it here. It seems my cheap diesel is not a known name such as Sasol, Shell, Caltex etc.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

Diesel (spit) is dirty.. and it stinks

2021 FJ Cruiser

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hennie84 View Post
    Which "experts"? Sounds like a matter of opinion..
    Exactly.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

14. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

So many factors wrt diesel. Working as an appy electrician on the Railways in East London. Part of our training was being sent to the harbor to work on the electrical equipment there. Big fuel ships would enter the harbor and pump their fuels into large land tanks, regardless. The fuel would then be sent out via trucks to different depots.

Now correct me if wrong, but I did not see a shell ship, Engen ship, caltex ship fill up just their tanks at the harbor.

Many factors effect fuel consumption. Just saying.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Diesel (spit) is dirty.. and it stinks
    Well diesel is popular vs petrol. You get diesel mens after shave and deodorant , diesel dark glasses but not petrol in the above
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

I fill up with Engen because it's the closest when I go on a trip ect.

I don't do enough mileage to check which diesel gives me the best fuel consumption, and I don't know what diesel is better for an engine.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

It might have changed in the meanwhile, but last time when I checked Engen did not meet the minimum cetane requirement for the GD-6 engine?
    Last edited by PieterOos; 2021/06/14 at 08:24 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PieterOos For This Useful Post:

Interesting thread.

I drive a 3.0D4D - it seems to prefer 50ppm vs 10ppm.

Any observations in this regard?
    2015 Prado VX 3.0 D4D
    2012 FJ Cruiser 4.0 V6 (SOLD)

The Brand is not that important, most of the 50ppm comes from the same refineries. except for SASOL.
    the more important thing is contamination of diesel. beware of very cheap diesel as it is normally watered down with paraffin or such like. this was not an issue on pre common rail engines but modern engines with high injector pressures and lowered lubricity due to reduced sulphur make contamination much more of an issue.

Also avoid garages that do not have a high turnover of clientele as the diesel is more likely to be old and have contamination from old tanks and water.
    I did this as part of my final year project for my engineering degree, I tested various garages lubricity and the effect of paraffin and 2 stroke on lubricity.

the small garage that was not open 24hrs a day and thus lost clientele to the larger garage a block away that was 24hrs, had questionable quality diesel most likely due to the diesel standing too long and corroded underground tanks.

all the brands (SHELL, ENGEN,SASOL, CALTEX and BP) tested to similar lubricity levels

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Robert M For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Robert M View Post
    beware of very cheap diesel as it is normally watered down with paraffin or such like.
    My FIL always tells me to go fill up at the depot. They are over R1 cheaper, but I hate going there for what you describe above.
    I don't know much about fuels, but a cheap dirty place is not a place where I want to fill up my car.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

In Pretoria we have MBT fueling stations. They have 50 and 10ppm. I'm guessing it's Sasol fuel then? I've tried 10 and 50, consumption stays the same, although my mech who looks after my vehicle says Sasol 10ppm should be my choice?

When I told my service advisor that I used Sasol in my Hilux he told me thats the "Worst thing you can do ' and as I said above Engen is recommended for Toyota Diesel engines
    I would love to talk to your dealer and get the "facts" (not hearsay) from him.

I was involved in the Sasol upgrade projects for the cleaner fuels, would love to hear your "expert" explain how it is "the worst thing you can do".

Care to share the name of this expert?

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JS-V8 For This Useful Post:

This discussion pops up a lot and it usually goes the same direction with personal preferences being mentioned. However, I think its too generalized and what works for your specific brand common-rail might not work as well for someone else's 4.2 1HZ.

Too much emphasis is placed on the ppm count but that's just a measure of environmental cleanliness (at the expense of lubrication). The real good stuff happens when looking at the Cetane number (a measure of the combustibility of the fuel). High compression engines prefer a different cetane number when compared to lower compression engines. Ideally a modern common-rail should not be using anything with a cetane number less than 45. So while its said that most of the diesel comes from the same bulk supply, I think too little emphasis is placed on the additive packages. When last I checked Engen supplied a diesel with a cetane of 45 (I cant find the info for the others now). I am with FNB so I'd love to use Engen but man I definitely notice that my car does run as well.

https://www.carmag.co.za/technical/t...uel-additives/

I'd very much enjoy a definitive technical explanation, but I suspect its very much a trade secret as to which supplier uses what in their product and why they use that.
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2021/06/14 at 10:06 AM. Reason: clarification

30. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Which experts? a toyota service advisor Please....
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast