Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Which diesel is best ?

I think i mentioned once before..
    Caltex 50ppm is actually around 34ppm..They just not allowed to advertise it like that.
    So maybe the shell standard is around 48ppm and the ULS is similar to caltex of between 20-30ppmJust a thought

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    They have different additive packages. There is very little real technical explanation of the difference on shells website but it sounds like they may have different cetane numbers (the higher cetane would burn cleaner = less soot build up), one is less likely to foam (anti-foaming additive to allow heavy duty vehicles with large tanks to fill up quicker), the one is more suited for heavy duty fleet vehicles (I think its the extra), one is specifically formulated to reduce soot and injector deposits (not that the other one isn't, the one is just better).

But honestly from their site I cant determine which would be better for us.

https://www.shell.co.za/motorists/sh...er-diesel.html
    https://www.shell.co.za/business-cus...avediesel.html
    https://www.shell.com/business-custo...avediesel.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_V-Power
    https://www.engineeringnews.co.za/ar...20/rep_id:4136 - This suggests the extra is aimed for the commercial sector
    What is Low Sulphur Diesel?

As the adverse side effects of having a high sulphur content in fuel became known, great effort was made to produce an even ‘cleaner’ diesel than the 500ppm diesel. 50ppm Diesel is now the most broadly used diesel across South Africa, in many other African countries and abroad, where available, and is used in standard road vehicles as well as vehicles with heftier workloads, like mine excavators and trucks. This product has a wide variety of benefits for the diesel engine in which it burns, and it alleviates some of the pressure placed on the environment through lower sulphur dioxide (SO2) emissions.
    What is Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel?

The creation of low sulphur diesel paved the way for ultra-low sulphur diesel, which has an incredibly minimal sulphur content of between 15- and 10ppm. Ultra-low sulphur diesel allowed further emissions control technologies to come to fruition, lowering harmful emissions of sulphur dioxide and fine particulate matter (PM), providing even greater benefits to diesel engines of all sizes as well as benefiting the environment, as it is 97% cleaner than other diesels.
    Bruce Hunter
    "your signature should not be used to judge you or your opinions"

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    What is Low Sulphur Diesel?

As the adverse side effects of having a high sulphur content in fuel became known, great effort was made to produce an even ‘cleaner’ diesel than the 500ppm diesel. 50ppm Diesel is now the most broadly used diesel across South Africa, in many other African countries and abroad, where available, and is used in standard road vehicles as well as vehicles with heftier workloads, like mine excavators and trucks. This product has a wide variety of benefits for the diesel engine in which it burns, and it alleviates some of the pressure placed on the environment through lower sulphur dioxide (SO2) emissions.
    What is Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel?

The creation of low sulphur diesel paved the way for ultra-low sulphur diesel, which has an incredibly minimal sulphur content of between 15- and 10ppm. Ultra-low sulphur diesel allowed further emissions control technologies to come to fruition, lowering harmful emissions of sulphur dioxide and fine particulate matter (PM), providing even greater benefits to diesel engines of all sizes as well as benefiting the environment, as it is 97% cleaner than other diesels.
    So there lies the answer..True 10ppm must have a sulphur content of under 10 to be classified as such and advertised
    So Shell ULS as shown is between 10-15 so they cannot advertise it as 10 hence the different naming from the standard

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EGO View Post
    Sasol cross the Total in Pretoria Gardens is the cheapest Sasol garage in Pretoria. They are about 30c per liter cheaper than Dastek when i last checked. Obaro(Total)is still the cheapest
    Currently Dastek is 60c a litre cheaper than Sasol Claremont close to the tunnel. Dastek now R15. 57

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BruceHun View Post
    I would love to see some empirical evidence where someone can prove one fuel gives better consumption. The only way to prove this is to drive on a traffic free route at a fixed speed for a fixed time over a fixed distance( anything left out?)
    At the same temperature and the same constant wind speed in the same direction.

Even with different conditions I have the following results on a per tank basis. Even with different conditions wrt travelling to work and back.
    6.88 6.82 6.83 6.83 6.94 6.43 6.65 L/100km
    Times I have to travel faster than normal I can see it on a per tank basis.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2021/06/15 at 04:10 PM.

Those claiming a better consumption on certain brands than others, how do you verify that you always fill to the same level?
    Do you fill up until a certain level in the filler neck? Like in full full?
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

This topic makes me think about those diet cookies,…
    both are 1000 calories, but one claims that it doesn't make you fat?
    The energy locked up in diesel fuel with the same cetane rating is the same, you can do whatever you like..? It should give you the same consumption.

Look for your nearest coop. Usually they are the cheapest and there is almost no reason to dilute their diesel with anything.
    Most of their clients are quite clued up about diesels and any skelmstreke would quickly be sorted out.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mapog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    I use the App to get to the cheapest diesel I can find.
    This is the best advice on this thread. Get the cheapest diesel among the known brands and just drive. In my 150 there is no diesel I've not put in, never got any issues. Ok but I service it religiously every 5000km.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to byaru1 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mapog View Post
    ........................ no reason to dilute their diesel with anything.
    Often in Zim I have smelt the paraffin in the diesel, as they fill up. I prefer to give ZIM a miss for diesel.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

I am by no means an expert on diesel fuel. Also hate it to comment on subjects that I does not have first hand experience of.

The same subject were discussed on another forum some time ago. Someone pointed out that the energy value of 10ppm is slightly lower than that of 50ppm.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    I am by no means an expert on diesel fuel. Also hate it to comment on subjects that I does not have first hand experience of.

The same subject were discussed on another forum some time ago. Someone pointed out that the energy value of 10ppm is slightly lower than that of 50ppm.
    Yes, hydrotreating (the process used to remove the sulphur) decreases the energy density of the fuel and I think its due to secondary cracking during this process, specifically a break up of aromatic compounds. Cracking basically describes the break up of the heavier hydrocarbon molecules into lighter molecules. Using cetane boosters (additives) they can adjust for that loss of energy density.

Perhaps another interesting point is below.

"Sulfur is not a lubricant in and of itself, but it can combine with the nickel content in many metal alloys to form a low melting point eutectic alloy that can increase lubricity. The process used to reduce the sulfur also reduces the fuel's lubricating properties. Lubricity is a measure of the fuel's ability to lubricate and protect the various parts of the engine's fuel injection system from wear. The processing required to reduce sulfur to 15 ppm also removes naturally occurring lubricity agents in diesel fuel. To manage this change ASTM International (formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials) adopted the lubricity specification defined in ASTM D975[6] for all diesel fuels and this standard went into effect January 1, 2005.[7] The D975 standard defines two ULSD standards, Grade No. 2-D S15 (regular ULSD) and Grade No. 1-D S15 (a higher volatility fuel with a lower gelling temperature than regular ULSD).The refining process that removes the sulfur also reduces the aromatic content and density of the fuel, resulting in a minor decrease in the energy content, by about 1%.[citation needed] This decrease in energy content may result in slightly reduced peak power and fuel economy." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra-low-sulfur_diesel

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=ChasingSunsets;4663782]Yes, hydrotreating (the process used to remove the sulphur) decreases the energy density of the fuel and I think its due to secondary cracking during this process, specifically a break up of aromatic compounds. Cracking basically describes the break up of the heavier hydrocarbon molecules into lighter molecules. Using cetane boosters (additives) they can adjust for that loss of energy density.[QUOTE]

Thanks for a very informative post. So it is possible that with the slightly higher energy value of 50ppm there is 'n chance that a vehicle could add a km or two too a tank over 10ppm

Thanks for a very informative post. So it is possible that with the slightly higher energy value of 50ppm there is 'n chance that a vehicle could add a km or two too a tank over 10ppm
    In my understanding it will depend on, amongst other things, the cetane value. A 50ppm fuel with a cetane value of 45 will be less energy dense that a 10ppm fuel with a cetane value of 48. In this case the 10ppm will be more efficient and cleaner burning. So I think its dependent on the additive package and what they decide is a suitable cetane value for the fuel. But one study that I read said that the loss of energy density is around 1% so not sure its noticeable in our day to day stuff.

Grips, just for clarity I am no expert. Just interested and trying to understand more about it all.
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2021/06/18 at 11:25 AM. Reason: spelling

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Thanks. I understand the difference is in the calorific value.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    So many factors wrt diesel. Working as an appy electrician on the Railways in East London. Part of our training was being sent to the harbor to work on the electrical equipment there. Big fuel ships would enter the harbor and pump their fuels into large land tanks, regardless. The fuel would then be sent out via trucks to different depots.

Now correct me if wrong, but I did not see a shell ship, Engen ship, caltex ship fill up just their tanks at the harbor.

Many factors effect fuel consumption. Just saying.
    Exactly, though the processing at each refinery differ. But note that Shell is a partner in SAPREF (BP is the other partner) and SAPREF is located in Durban. ASTRON is located in Cape Town (was the CALTEX refinery way back), ENGEN is in Durban and finally, NATREF (TOTAL and SASOL are the partners) is in Gauteng. Both ASTRON and ENREF is currently closed.
    Last edited by bredsj; 2021/06/21 at 06:33 AM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to bredsj For This Useful Post:

Honest John, the motoring correspondent to The Daily Telegraph (UK paper) recommends only using Shell V Power or BP Ultra wotsit for both petrol & diesel if you want to keep your engine running sweetly and get slightly better fuel consumption. Whatever you do, avoid the cheap supermarket stuff. As an extra note here, my Pathfinder went into limp mode a while back. Took it to my local service guy, NOT the Nissan cowboys, who checked the fuel filter which was clogged after only about 5 months since the last service by him. Seems the garages are known for letting their tanks run so low before refilling you end up with all their crud in your tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Hennie84 View Post
    Sasol Dastek is probably one of the cheapest in Pta, there's one a bit further down the road not sure how much they are per liter.
    They are indeed, from what I've seen - in the area, that is.
    Too far for me to drive though - I never go out that way.
    Last edited by Mtber; 2021/06/21 at 08:25 AM.
    2018 Ranger DC 2.2 XLS Auto 4x4
    Bushtech Canopy and goodies
    Canon 5DMkIV with L-goodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel 4x4 View Post
    sasol
    I use both Engen 50ppm and Sasol 10ppm in my Jeep. Sasol, Dastek in Moument Park 10ppm is around R 1 per liter cheaper than any other filling station in Centurion where I live. Hard to argue against that ...
    old habits dies with their owners

31. The Following User Says Thank You to 35S For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown KZN View Post
    Afternoon all

As a relatively new Hilux owner, 2.8 manual, 2018 - I am new to the diesel world.

Initially I simply filled up at the local Shell and selected the more expensive one - V Power.

I have since noticed that Engen and BP don’t have different types of diesel just 1 option and around a rand per litre cheaper vs the Shell option.

Has anyone tested / a viewpoint on which diesel delivers best milage / which is best or cleanest ?

Shell V-Power diesel.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast