Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    49
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 5

    Default Which tyre for 95% tar - Hilux ?

    Hi everyone

    Looking for some suggestions on which tyre to consider with following conditions. I have a 2018
    2.8 manual Hilux 2 X4 with 40 000kms.

    Its my daily driver to and from work doing about 1000kms a month.

    It might see a dirt / gravel road every 2 months for 30kms - so very little off road.

    Do I consider an AT tyre or do I go with a Highway tyre ?

    If AT - which tyre is the most road biased tyre ?

    I have the 265/60/18 size rim.

    The SUV options that pop up options for things like Q7s, X5s - eg Michelin Latitude Tour HP.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    44
    Posts
    442
    Thanked: 151

    Default Re: Which tyre for 95% tar - Hilux ?

    Hi,
    The OEM fitment from Toyota for those are the Dunlop AT20 or AT25.
    They’re good for your use (or else wouldn’t be OEM :-) and I still have them on my Fortuner, same size). You should get atleast 70000km on them.
    2017 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 A/T

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Henties
    Posts
    4,110
    Thanked: 1876

    Default Re: Which tyre for 95% tar - Hilux ?

    If you want to fit a tame AT tyre, look at the Michelin LTX AT2 or the Michelin LTX Force.
    They do give you the same on road comfort and grip as most bakkie / SUV HT OEM tyres, but are a bit nicer on gravel and should give you better mileage.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    49
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Which tyre for 95% tar - Hilux ?

    Quote Originally Posted by AK77 View Post
    Hi,
    The OEM fitment from Toyota for those are the Dunlop AT20 or AT25.
    They’re good for your use (or else wouldn’t be OEM :-) and I still have them on my Fortuner, same size). You should get atleast 70000km on them.

    Thanks AK77 - my opinion on the Dunlop AT25’s is somewhat different. I think that Toyota uses them as they are the cheapest tyre available.

    Their traction in the wet is simply atrocious in my viewpoint. I admittedly drive pretty poorly - too fast and believe the best tyres, shocks and brakes one can afford are key to me.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie Brown KZN For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Citrusdal
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,536
    Thanked: 337

    Default Re: Which tyre for 95% tar - Hilux ?

    Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    If you want to fit a tame AT tyre, look at the Michelin LTX AT2 or the Michelin LTX Force.
    They do give you the same on road comfort and grip as most bakkie / SUV HT OEM tyres, but are a bit nicer on gravel and should give you better mileage.
    Very good advice!
    2011 FJ Cruiser
    Afrispoor Serval

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    49
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Which tyre for 95% tar - Hilux ?

    Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    If you want to fit a tame AT tyre, look at the Michelin LTX AT2 or the Michelin LTX Force.
    They do give you the same on road comfort and grip as most bakkie / SUV HT OEM tyres, but are a bit nicer on gravel and should give you better mileage.
    Thanks Hugo that was both on my short list and suggested by TWT.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    36
    Posts
    698
    Thanked: 250

    Default Re: Which tyre for 95% tar - Hilux ?

    I would just fit a HT tyre of your choice.

    If you want best performance for braking etc, all AT tyres will fall short of road tyres.

    30km of dirt every 2 months won't be a problem at all.

    My mate has a Kia Sportage, drives it to a farm house he rents, down +- 50km dirt outside Laingsburg, just before Seweweeks Poort, every few months. It has normal road tyres and they are fine, we often take it to Carlitzdorp with the 4 of us as I only have a 2 seater.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walnut For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Rustenburg
    Age
    51
    Posts
    4,376
    Thanked: 7786

    Default Re: Which tyre for 95% tar - Hilux ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    I would just fit a HT tyre of your choice.

    If you want best performance for braking etc, all AT tyres will fall short of road tyres.

    30km of dirt every 2 months won't be a problem at all.

    My mate has a Kia Sportage, drives it to a farm house he rents, down +- 50km dirt outside Laingsburg, just before Seweweeks Poort, every few months. It has normal road tyres and they are fine, we often take it to Carlitzdorp with the 4 of us as I only have a 2 seater.
    This is good advice.
    HT's can cope with gravel stints every now and then without a problem
    _______________________________________
    Andrew van Staden
    =Anti Lockdown Activist=

    2021 FJ Cruiser

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    44
    Posts
    12,749
    Thanked: 2456

    Default Re: Which tyre for 95% tar - Hilux ?

    General Grabbers.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

    Then it it a chisel.

    083 399 2046

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    49
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Which tyre for 95% tar - Hilux ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    General Grabbers.
    I’m pretty sure that these are advertised as ideal for 50 / 50 on and off road use ?

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    36
    Posts
    698
    Thanked: 250

    Default Re: Which tyre for 95% tar - Hilux ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown KZN View Post
    I’m pretty sure that these are advertised as ideal for 50 / 50 on and off road use ?
    Depends which ones. They do SUV, car, offroad etc.

    One thing I would recommend. Whatever you get, make sure it's a common size and tyre.

    I cannot find any GG muds in 265/70/16. They not importing tyres which are not popular due to costs.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    29
    Posts
    55
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: Which tyre for 95% tar - Hilux ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown KZN View Post
    Thanks AK77 - my opinion on the Dunlop AT25’s is somewhat different. I think that Toyota uses them as they are the cheapest tyre available.

    Their traction in the wet is simply atrocious in my viewpoint. I admittedly drive pretty poorly - too fast and believe the best tyres, shocks and brakes one can afford are key to me.

    Hi Charlie,

    We have a wide range of products that cater to most needs.The Grandtrek range has a strong history with Toyota over the past few decades and patterns such as the AT1, AT20, AT22 & AT25 OE fitment to vehicles such as the Fortuner, Hilux, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser 200 and 70 series - you'll find that this is due to the quality of Dunlop Grandtrek products. That being said, your experience of the product is unfortunate and we hope that your next experience will be a better one!

    Cheers for now,



    Quinton De Beer
    Dunlop Community Manager

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    65
    Posts
    924
    Thanked: 212

    Default Re: Which tyre for 95% tar - Hilux ?

    After going back and forth to others over the past almost 40 years of offroad and long distance on-road driving, I have come to stick with Goodyear Wranglers. Easy to find wherever you may need a new tyre, never disappointed me with regard to tar handling and dirt road resistance to punctures. Works very well in sand as well. Just a good all-rounder.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ouarzazate For This Useful Post:


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •