Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shower Bucket Thievery

To The Complete Jack-Wagon who stole the shower buckets from a number of camp sites in the CKGR:

Most of us come to remote places like the CKGR because we love nature, we love the wildlife, we love the sunrises, the sunsets, the stars.

The sightings where it’s you and a mom and baby cheetah and nobody else.

The fact that it is 200km or more from the nearest town.

The fact that the kind of theiving losers we find in Joburg, Pretoria, etc, aren’t there.

We don’t need the shower buckets you stole.

But why would you come to a place like that - a special place - and do that? I sincerely hope karma bites you in the arse.

We found at least three sites with recently stolen shower buckets. The rangers at Matswere gate were commenting on it. May you please get three flats with one spare on a deserted road.

Regardless - still one of the coolest places on earth.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2021/06/13 at 02:54 PM.

Default Re: Shower Bucket Thievery

Maybe the mice carried the buckets away.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

3. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

We were in CKGR end April and first week in May and found as you did. Also found some other stuff:

The fireplaces were never cleaned of ash. Ever. Had to clean someone else's fire and sometimes piles of it every nite we arrived at camp.

Then the mess at Kori2. We were there on 29 April and whoever was there on 27 or 28 April evening - may you rot in hell. The fireplace was filthy with a lot of ash and about 3 or 4 broken bottles - must have been fun smashing then in wild Africa - and crap around the campsite. You must have a real scum like upbringing. Have never seen as bad in CKGR for 22 years we have been there.

The trip was great and the evening chore was just ..... and did not rob the trip of its highlights. There were few people in the park and loads of empty campsites - so the daily mess was disappointing.

Yes we clean fireplaces as we leave in the morning. Always done it.

Just saying...

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Maybe the mice carried the buckets away.

Apparently they’ve taken out quite a few cars recently, so I guess …

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    Apparently they’ve taken out quite a few cars recently.. )
    Thus my comment.....
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2021/06/13 at 06:47 PM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Unfortunately this is another thread about bad behavior, it seems to have suddenly mushroomed!

Friends of mine have just got back from Mabua, and there it was the same shocking behavior. People were camping at the water holes, sometimes large groups and these were people who were not there for the first time.

I realize this is slightly off topic to the original posting, but the same trend continues.
    Malcolm
    2015 Pajero 3.2 LWB
    Bushwakka Sundowner No. 31

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcowell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Thus my comment.....

But these things were held there by steel cables, not copper wire…must have been a BIG rat.

My experience exactly on a recent visit.
    Also no toilet seat, just jagged concrete totally unsuitable for human use.

I for once can't believe anyone would stole a shower bucket or toilet seat in CKGR!

What do you want to do with it?

I believe more a case of neglecting of campsites and not replacing broken stuff.

Littering and not cleaning - Yes - unfortunately happening regular.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisA For This Useful Post:

Its really heart breaking to read this post and some of the additional posts in the comments.

surely if you can afford to have a 4x4 and off grid camping setup, you can afford to buy your own bucket. I simply cannot see any logic or reason why on Gods green earth you would even consider it.

As mentioned, most of us will get by without the bucket and it's not a necessity, but come on people, what have you gained by stealing buckets.

It really is sad that in places like CKGR, MABUA ETC and more, we need to have these sorts of posts and behaviour to deal with. A little bit of self respect and common decency goes along way. A few minutes to get rid your waste and cover up and clean a fire pit is not a big ask, seeing as we get to spend time in such pristine, wild, beautiful places like this.

Really irritated by these posts....
    2017 Fortuner 2.8 GD6 4x4 Auto

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Donlux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
    I for once can't believe anyone would stole a shower bucket or toilet seat in CKGR!

What do you want to do with it?

I believe more a case of neglecting of campsites and not replacing broken stuff.

Littering and not cleaning - Yes - unfortunately happening regular.

They (were) quite unique - metal with a tap and shower head fitted to the bottom. Cables cut - definitely stolen.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Angry Re: Shower Bucket Thievery

Na ek al die gelees het wonder ek nou hoe lewe sulke mense by hulle eie huise as hulle nie self agter hulle self skoon maak nie hoekom ook goed vat wat nie nodig is nie die geriewe is mos vir almal dis mense soos julle wat steel en vuil maak wat ander n slegte naam gee mokket

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boslover For This Useful Post:

Could this have been done officially?
    We found 5 dead birds in one shower bucket at Pipers in 2019. The bucket was hanging vertically. Perhaps the birds were attracted to any water remaining after someone's shower?
    Not sure why they could not escape but if this is a regular occurrence someone may have decided to remove them.
    Suggest we all place them upside down on the surrounding fence after showering to prevent recurrence. Have a photo I could post.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SANZ For This Useful Post:

This puts a whole new perspective on the phrase "bucket list"
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

We left Cori 2 on the 24th April.The camp was left clean.People moved from Cori 3 to Cori 2 for one night,family of 4.So it must have been the next people that left the camp with the broken bottles and dirty fireplace.

Fortunately we knew of the missing shower bucket and took our own shower with.From Cori 2 we moved to Deception 3,with missing shower bucket and dirty firepit!!

What I noticed and don't understand is the broken firepit?It is made of concrete with reinforcing,but in borth our campsites they were broken.....how?It should not break up like that just from fire?Damaged on purpose?

Neverless,we really enjoyed our stay in CKR
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

25. The Following User Says Thank You to DiscoFrans For This Useful Post:

This sounds like the mindless vandalism common in RSA and usually perpetrated by the Brakeless-Brandy_Brigade.
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

27. The Following User Says Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

A quick question in relation to the OP.

I have never camped CKGR and it is on my list (perhaps less now because of the stories) but this type of theft to me doesn't seem like it would be somebody who camped there.

Is it not possible that it is someone who bypassed security to do so? i.e. a non-camper?

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoFrans View Post
    We left Cori 2 on the 24th April.The camp was left clean.People moved from Cori 3 to Cori 2 for one night,family of 4.So it must have been the next people that left the camp with the broken bottles and dirty fireplace.

Fortunately we knew of the missing shower bucket and took our own shower with.From Cori 2 we moved to Deception 3,with missing shower bucket and dirty firepit!!

What I noticed and don't understand is the broken firepit?It is made of concrete with reinforcing,but in borth our campsites they were broken.....how?It should not break up like that just from fire?Damaged on purpose?

Neverless,we really enjoyed our stay in CKR
    The broken firepits could possibly come from traffic going over them in error? People jacking off them sometime? Or they are damaged during the build? Or they are damaged and the heat and cold cycles carry the damage on? They are precast concrete and i would think that it would need some special design to keep the right cover to the reinforcing - if any - and for the concrete to be durable enough to handle that heat? Some thoughts.

Noticed that the containment ring is often snapped and that it does not have lugs holding it tight to the concrete, then it would also have an inherent weakness. May just be poor design and fabrication quality in the end.

Also enjoyed our stay immensely!

Quote Originally Posted by Juddvdb View Post
    A quick question in relation to the OP.

I have never camped CKGR and it is on my list (perhaps less now because of the stories) but this type of theft to me doesn't seem like it would be somebody who camped there.

Is it not possible that it is someone who bypassed security to do so? i.e. a non-camper?
    You don't accidently, or even on purpose, bypass security to go to these sites, they're many kilometres from the gates. This is campers, well, "campers". We've seen them, no interest in the wildlife or wild life, they're mostly passers by testing their vehicles and adding a GPS reference.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

Hi, I posted this after out trip to the CKGR in 2019/2020.

The best thing about some of the Botswana Parks (like the CKGR) is the freedom they offer. Unfenced camps, the fact that you may leave your vehicle, the lack of traffic and the solitude. Unfortunately this freedom is sometimes abused. On a recent 6 week trip to the CKGR we saw so much litter in the camps and along the tracks; visitors driving off-road; garbage dumped in the long-drop toilets; braai rings left full of ash and litter; and a disregard for no-entry signs and the attempts by DWNP to close off illegal tracks. We found it incredible that some visitors seem unable to self-police and follow the five simple rules of the Park. These unique wild places may not be there for ever but while they are let's respect them and our fellow visitors by sticking to the basic rules, after all, there are so few on them.

I have attached fire ring, before and after - took me 5 minutes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Before.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	157.5 KB 
ID:	620021   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	After.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	620022  

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Keith E For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast