Default Advice for a newbie

Hi guys and girls

I have been lurking in the background for a while now and i have the opportunity to get myself a 2001 Defender td5.

The car in question has alot of milage 300k but full service history and kept very nice with new seat upholstery and it has most accessories i want anyway like roof frack, light bars bull bars, drawersystem, snorkel, watertank all keys etc

I know that all cars are different but would it be a bad idea to get a defender td5 witj those kind of milage am i asking for trouble?

To clarify it will not be my only car and will be used ro go out camping and exploring our beautiful country and its Naigbours
    Please drop your advise ��
    Last edited by I8lusaka; 2021/06/13 at 11:35 AM.

Default Re: Advice for a newbie

With a full service history those km's should not be anything to worry about.

Not sure whether that model still had the 10P motor. They had some issues with the head - fuel rail that runs internally, if I remember correctly.

Check for oil in the engine wiring harness.
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

1998 Disco Tdi
    1959 SII 88"
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    197? RRC
    AND SWAMBO's Unmentionable Abomination

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

Talking Re: Advice for a newbie

Thanks bro

Yes I have done my homework on the injector harness and the oil problem that follows andnits solid

Don't get dazzled by the extras - they don't have anything to do with the reliability of the vehicle. Get an unbiased opinion from someone on the forum - I am sure there is someone near you.
    Babushka - 3.5 V8 Defender Highline
    SWAMBO - 1.6 Nissan Livina X-Gear

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DSouter For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by I8lusaka View Post
    Hi guys and girls

I have been lurking in the background for a while now and i have the opportunity to get myself a 2001 Defender td5.

The car in question has alot of milage 300k but full service history and kept very nice with new seat upholstery and it has most accessories i want anyway like roof frack, light bars bull bars, drawersystem, snorkel, watertank all keys etc

I know that all cars are different but would it be a bad idea to get a defender td5 witj those kind of milage am i asking for trouble?

To clarify it will not be my only car and will be used ro go out camping and exploring our beautiful country and its Naigbours
    Please drop your advise ��
    There are a few places in JHB/PTA that can look at it for you. I would definitely have it checked before buying. Message me if you cant find a place.

Also listen carefully for drivetrain clunks... which will also tell you a bit if the vehicle had a hard life.
    Last edited by ZAGreenLeader; 2021/06/18 at 07:58 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ZAGreenLeader For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DSouter View Post
    Don't get dazzled by the extras - they don't have anything to do with the reliability of the vehicle. Get an unbiased opinion from someone on the forum - I am sure there is someone near you.

Where will you find an unbiased opinion on vehicles on this forum. Asking for a friend.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fred56 For This Useful Post:

Best advice I can give is take the vehicle to a good indy for a check over and secondly dont believe everything you read on the forum.

I had a 1999 TD5 110. When I bought it everyone claimed it to be the worst motor and it was going to let me down etc etc. After 280k kms with some very minor problems I traded it in on a Puma.
    The harness did push oil through it but I fixed this by stripping the wires near the ecu and put a drop of solder on them then obviously wrapping them all up again. I believe there was a replacement harness released but I never bothered as my fix worked perfectly for probably 60000 to 80000 kms. .
    The second problem I had was the fuel cooler started to leak on the way back from the magadigadi. I noticed this after parking over night. I bi-passed the system with some pipes i found at a farmers co-op in the middle of no where and drove back to JHB like that where i later had it fixed (was a cheap rubber o ring). I never had any other issues.

All the best with the decision and purchase.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2021/06/18 at 03:22 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys much appreciated
    I have not yet decided but I hope in the next month or 2