Default China turns on nuclear-powered 'artificial sun'

Riaan

2019 Toyota Land Cruiser 200 GX-R
    2019 Toyota Hilux Extracab 2.8GD6 4x4
    2018 Bush Lapa Ratel 4 (B1244)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkey-D For This Useful Post:

Default Re: China turns on nuclear-powered 'artificial sun'

That is so cool.
    Our planet needs this to become accessible to survive.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2020/12/07 at 04:33 AM.

But birth control will be more beneficial to our ability to sustain what we have.

BTW: I think theirs is only in experimental phase like the others popping up in the West.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    But birth control will be more beneficial to our ability to sustain what we have.

BTW: I think theirs is only in experimental phase like the others popping up in the West.
    Yes, the greatest danger the planet faces is overpopulation. If this elephant in the room could be dealt with, most other problems will diminish.

Regarding fusion reactors, the in joke is that they are always 30 years away. The largest one is in France called ITER:

The catch is that these reactions generate very hot and very unstable globs of plasma (in excess of 100 million Kelvin/ 500 million degrees Fahrenheit) which require tremendous amounts of energy to maintain. To date, the longest recorded sustained plasma operation is just over one minute long. Enormous magnets are required to keep the plasma in a doughnut-shaped vacuum chamber, which is called a “tokamak.” ITER is far and away the largest tokamak reactor in existence.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Olyfboer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RoelfleRoux View Post
    That is so cool.
    Our planet needs it to become accessible survive.
    I'm surprised you would be so positive about an energy source that President Trump revitalised in the US.

Democrats were trying to kill the technology in the US, but now even Biden says he will continue with Trump's plan. Imagine if Trump had run against Obama, where they would be now.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MarcR View Post
    I'm surprised you would be so positive about an energy source that President Trump revitalised in the US.

Democrats were trying to kill the technology in the US, but now even Biden says he will continue with Trump's plan. Imagine if Trump had run against Obama, where they would be now.
    I had the good sense to delete my original post before pushing "send", so I don't have to publish an apology later.
    Here is my politically correct language reply:
    These types of endeavors are so hugely expensive and there is no guarantee that it will even be successful, that it is understandable when some countries feel they have higher priority issues to spend money on.
    This should really be an international collaboration, but I imagine the benefit to a single country, if it wins the race to get a fully operational unit, will be huge. Maybe that is why there are different units being researched and developed across the globe.
    Maybe it will be cheaper to buy a licence from the Chinese than to R&D your own. I bit like running your own smelter with expensive and demanding labour vs. simply importing cheaply produced steel..... or even better, the whole car.
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2020/12/07 at 05:08 AM.

International collaboration is definitely the way to go. Unless I read incorrectly the bottom of the article does talk about the Chinese wanting to collaborate with the world which I think is a good thing, I am actually more for making this world a better place to live than spending huge amounts of money in space exploration. My only concern which I really stuffed up to explain with my previous post is with great power comes great responsibility, we must becarefull that enough controls are put in place so that these amazing advances are not used for the incorrect purposes or are used to give countries a monopoly. And that we remember that people come first and not greed ambition and science

i am in the science field , and in terms of technology and science all you can say is well done China, all I hope is that one day the world can develope things together

I wonder if they build a similar suit with those cool octo arms

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    If all the bleaters are finished can we now post on this thread about the original topic, or is this another freaking democrat/liberal/anti trump/atheist/ pro trump/ American shitfaced politics thread

The original topic is actually very freaking interesting, if any of you can take the bloody time to notice!

Imagine, the risk assessment on this?

Imagine getting it wrong

Does anyone here know what can the result be of a magnet failure (or if the reaction cannot be contained)
    I said magnet failure due to ignorance of the proper terminology?
    To imagine that energy is a technical issue that is not overtaken by politics is naive.

Control of energy sources through any means leads to economic and political control at national and international levels.

The constraints are not in the technologies, but in the manipulation of the narrative regarding environmental issues and safety.

More than once on the forum the question has been asked, "why are these (nuclear) technologies not being rolled out if they are so good?" and I have not replied for the very reason you kick off with... the answers are political, not technical.
    "The problem with internet quotes is that they are very often unverified."
    -Abraham Lincoln

To imagine that energy is a technical issue that is not overtaken by politics is naive.

Control of energy sources through any means leads to economic and political control at national and international levels.

The constraints are not in the technologies, but in the manipulation of the narrative regarding environmental issues and safety.

More than once on the forum the question has been asked, "why are these (nuclear) technologies not being rolled out if they are so good?" and I have not replied for the very reason you kick off with... the answers are political, not technical.

So what Marc? This thread is not about the politics of energy creation... FFS.

Although in your life no doubt you could attribute going to the crapper as a politically driven event, I tend to want to believe that when I go, it is because I am full of crap.. Simple as that.

There is a thread, or even three, that you can go and discuss the failings of the democrats in America.
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2020/12/07 at 11:20 AM.
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

In this case the constraints are completely technical, your discussion is not about nuclear fusion.

Nuclear fusion is not yet feasible, hopefully one day it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Yes, the greatest danger the planet faces is overpopulation. If this elephant in the room could be dealt with, most other problems will diminish.

Regarding fusion reactors, the in joke is that they are always 30 years away. The largest one is in France called ITER:

The catch is that these reactions generate very hot and very unstable globs of plasma (in excess of 100 million Kelvin/ 500 million degrees Fahrenheit) which require tremendous amounts of energy to maintain. To date, the longest recorded sustained plasma operation is just over one minute long. Enormous magnets are required to keep the plasma in a doughnut-shaped vacuum chamber, which is called a “tokamak.” ITER is far and away the largest tokamak reactor in existence.
    The elephant in the room will eventually shoot itself in the foot. It’s a self limiting phenomena. It will attain an equilibrium, not a nice equilibrium, nor one I cherish. An equilibrium of rich and poor, of haves and have nots, of enough people living to Keep the species alive, of enough people dying to leave space and resources to keep the living alive.

Technology will shift that balance around, that’s all.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Olyfboer View Post
    Easy solution. A global pandemic or WWIII..............
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Easy solution. A global pandemic or WWIII..............
    Temporary hiccup at best.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

You do understand this about nuclear fusion, a fundamentally different technology to nuclear fission that is used in traditional nuclear power plants?

If you want to discuss politics please leave it for the political threads.
    Anton Muller

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens.

2020 X3 M40i
    Birkin SR20VET race car

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mullerza For This Useful Post:

In the event of them not being able to contain this, the China Syndrome would not come into play?
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Hummer H3 V8

#itsnotaboutME

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    In the event of them not being able to contain this, the China Syndrome would not come into play?
    Meltdown to the core?? LOL!!
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2020/12/07 at 12:25 PM.
    Ranger 3.2, LC 76 V8, Navara 2.5, NP300, Patrol 4.8, Everest 3.0, Jimny 1.3, Defender 110 SW Puma

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Temporary hiccup at best.
    It will help............what happened to MAD? Can't we get all that stuff our of storage?
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Last edited by Duggen; 2020/12/07 at 12:31 PM.

The guy who wrote the article was really fumbling. Clearly has no clue.

C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast