Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default mecer inverter to a mppt controller?

Hi, anyone know if it is ok to hook up this mecer inverter - https://www.takealot.com/mecer-1200v...00/description to a MPPT solar charge controller.
    I like the fact that it can charge via AC if no sun and that it autmoatically switches over to DC when eskom shuts off.
    Can this inverter work with LIFEPO4 batteries? I didnt find anything on the mecer website.
    Last edited by horizon; 2021/06/12 at 01:46 PM.

Default Re: mecer inverter to a mppt controller?

Quote Originally Posted by horizon View Post
    Hi, anyone know if it is ok to hook up this mecer inverter - https://www.takealot.com/mecer-1200v...00/description to a MPPT solar charge controller.
    I like the fact that it can charge via AC if no sun and that it autmoatically switches over to DC when eskom shuts off.
    These do charge over ac as long as there is ac supply given to it.
    There is a pwm charger you can buy for these inverter made by mecer.

Current: Pajero 3500 V6 24v LWB M/T Gen 2.5
    Previous: Pajero 3.2 Did LWB A/T
    Previous: Colt 2.8tdi D/C 4x4 Extreme

One Heart: Land Rover Defender Puma 110, 2 x TD5 110
    http://oneheartint.weebly.com/

No inverter/charger will "see" a MPPT solar controller connected directly to the batteries - just do it. No need for switching between Solar and AC, leave it all connected. The one that supplies the higher voltage will just lead the charging and the other trail or supply low to zero current
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/06/12 at 12:28 PM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 126 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted >60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 125 000 km

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    No inverter/charger will "see" a MPPT solar controller connected directly to the batteries - just do it. No need for switching between Solar and AC, leave it all connected. The one that supplies the higher voltage will just lead the charging and the other trail or supply low to zero current
    Thanks for the info! so when eskom shuts off, the inverter will switch to battery which in turn will be replenshed by the solar (if sunny) until eskom decides to give power again?
    tx

The unit will senses when the power in the wall plug is cut, and then switch to battery power. Once the Eskom mains power comes back to the wall plug, it will switch over to charging. 10A or 20A depending on the little switch at the back. It will keep charging until the battery is at its full level. Then it will go to standby. Power is then effectively fed directly from the wall to your equipment. IE the inverter doesn't stay running until the next power failure.

The MPPT solar charger will check the voltage of the battery, and when its low enough, it will start charging via solar.
    TBH, not sure how useful your solar charging is going to be in that 2 hour window when the voltage is low enough. Unless you already have all the solar stuff and its for fun.
    Last edited by Quiksilver; 2021/06/12 at 01:18 PM.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    The unit will senses when the power in the wall plug is cut, and then switch to battery power. Once the Eskom mains power comes back to the wall plug, it will switch over to charging. 10A or 20A depending on the little switch at the back. It will keep charging until the battery is at its full level. Then it will go to standby.

The MPPT solar charger will check the voltage of the battery, and when its low enough, it will start charging via solar.
    TBH, not sure how useful your solar charging is going to be in that 2 hour window when the voltage is low enough. Unless you already have all the solar stuff and its for fun.
    Just a note, something I have seen is that the solar charger does not charge when eskom mains are on as the charger makes the controller think there is full battery power by the voltage from there. Either need to charge via solar or eskom, cannot do both at same time

Quote Originally Posted by allandell View Post
    Just a note, something I have seen is that the solar charger does not charge when eskom mains are on as the charger makes the controller think there is full battery power by the voltage from there. Either need to charge via solar or eskom, cannot do both at same time
    They will not both charge at full pace one will take over... can connect both but one will see a full battery and the other will take over. There is no reason to have switching.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

You have seen correct but your conclusion is incorrect, there no reason to have it switching separately

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    You have seen correct but your conclusion is incorrect, there no reason to have it switching separately
    What I am basically meaning, is they both can be connected but if eskom turns on the eskom charging will take over and the solar will no longer charge

Edit..
    I have 2 systems like this running, 1 at work and 1 at home. I have seen that as soon as eskom is on and the built in charger starts the solar one stops, it reads the battery voltage from the inverter then as that is higher than battery and the amps going to battery drop virtually immediately from solar to zero
    Last edited by allandell; 2021/06/12 at 01:48 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to allandell For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Quiksilver View Post
    The unit will senses when the power in the wall plug is cut, and then switch to battery power. Once the Eskom mains power comes back to the wall plug, it will switch over to charging. 10A or 20A depending on the little switch at the back. It will keep charging until the battery is at its full level. Then it will go to standby. Power is then effectively fed directly from the wall to your equipment. IE the inverter doesn't stay running until the next power failure.

Hi thanks, we have panels already. we had a transformer blow recently and had no elec for half the day hence the solar backup. Also playing it safe who knows whats going to happen with eskom. We work from home and cant afford to be without elec for long periods

13. The Following User Says Thank You to horizon For This Useful Post:

Hi thanks, we have panels already. we had a transformer blow recently and had no elec for half the day hence the solar backup. Also playing it safe who knows whats going to happen with eskom. We work from home and cant afford to be without elec for long periods
    What is yoir budget to spend? With an amount in mind I can possibly help you with some self install options like I have done. My cell is 0845482147 for what's app (note, I am not an expert but from several personal installs and experience and lots and lots of reading up on this)

Thanks, thats ok by us. We just have solar as a backup for extended perioids of no eskom power outages

What is yoir budget to spend? With an amount in mind I can possibly help you with some self install options like I have done. My cell is 0845482147 for what's app (note, I am not an expert but from several personal installs and experience and lots and lots of reading up on this)
    Hi tx, my budget is about 10k.
    I have just bought 12 v DIY LIFEPO4 kit from lithium batteries SA for around R6500.
    Just deciding on a mppt controller - looking at the tracer for 2k. What do you use?

I am now wondering if the mecer inverter will be ok with LIFEPO4 12v pack? Dont want to ruin it.

I have just bought 12 v DIY LIFEPO4 kit from lithium batteries SA for around R6500.
    Just deciding on a mppt controller - looking at the tracer for 2k. What do you use?

I am now wondering if the mecer inverter will be ok with LIFEPO4 12v pack? Dont want to ruin it.
    Send me what's app. 084 548 2147

Just ensure that kit includes one of their BMS's. I also recommend you add, in addition, an active balancer. Only R500 extra for the AB but very good insurance. I see the 4S AB is sold out at LBSA but they are readily available on Banggood etc
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/06/12 at 03:36 PM.

Why don't you look at the MECER 1200VA 1000W 12V with build-in MPPT they can charge leadacid and lithuim?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snake Oil For This Useful Post:

As per the replies from Dungbeetle I can just share my actual experience and values as just measured.

After LS my PV is busy charging a 100Ah lead acid. While charging at a 3A rate I also connected my 220V smart charger and the PV only dropped to 2.9A while the 220V charger charged at 4.5A to provide a 7.4A going to the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    As per the replies from Dungbeetle I can just share my actual experience and values as just measured.

After LS my PV is busy charging a 100Ah lead acid. While charging at a 3A rate I also connected my 220V smart charger and the PV only dropped to 2.9A while the 220V charger charged at 4.5A to provide a 7.4A going to the battery.
    Very interesting. I will make a video of my one at work tomorrow and show what I seen.
    My one at home does not show any values so cannot give any accuracy here

23. The Following User Says Thank You to allandell For This Useful Post:

It might be related to the combination of specific charger and controller. In my case it is China PWM and China charger.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post

Exactly, in your case I deduct that your battery was drained, so it was "sucking" up all you could supply...

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast