Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Building my first house - low budget

Quote Originally Posted by jeev View Post
    My advice is if you are unsure of the stability of the ground you intend to put the piers/pillars/stilts on, then get a ground engineer to do soil samples.

I built my current house on a slope[La Mercy 1985] . Was advised to get ground engineers to do the deep soil tests[ used Drennan Maud and partners].

The foundation for the piers ended up being 1x 1 metrex480cm thick concrete footings 3meter below ground. a 480cm foundation brick pier was built to ground level upon which steel reinforced foundations were cast. So yes if the ground is not stable then building on a slope could be costly .

But having a contractor on labour contract and suppling materials my self and using at the time ready mixed pumped concrete for foundations ,garage floor slab and main floor slab, has left me with a house that still stands strong to this day.

If you intend to live there for as long as possible , build a low budget house by all means ,but do not sacrifice quality and safety standards. Note : builders/contractors are the biggest nightmare that you will face ,trust nothing ,verify it yourself ,today we have google.

For the early investment in high quality structural concrete ,corobrik clay commons and clay face bricks,I have saved thousands of rand in maintenance costs. Best of luck and quick success to your home.

Thanks for the help. I actaully thought the structural engineer (required for council submission) would perform a soil test on site automatically - thanks for bring this to my attention - I will make sure we have one done.
    Last edited by horizon; 2021/06/15 at 08:47 AM.

Last edited by BushNomad; 2021/06/15 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post

Medicine - just not modern and scientific.
    ... looks like the annual convention of
    civils are trying to reach a decision ! ...
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BushNomad For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by horizon View Post
    Hi , we are building our first house after many years of working saving for a deposit. We have designed the house very low budget as we simply can’t afford much however are in need of engineer to help us with the foundations for the stilts and for council submission. We are building on a steep slope and have opted for stilts as they seem cheapest.
    does anyone know a affordable engineer?
    thank you.
    Here are a few varied designs of some stilt houses -hopefully some ideas there for you to consider and discuss with your engineer.

https://www.archdaily.com/963300/10-...off-the-ground
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3