Default Richtersveld Entrance and Exit points

A group of us are planning a trip to Richtersveld next year and would like appreciate some help regarding entry and exit to and from the park.

Plan is to enter via Sendelingsdrif and camp at de Hoop first night. Although a lengthy trip, I believe if we get to the gate early enough (from Port Nolloth) we should have enough time to make camp before dark. But confirmation of that would be nice.

For the rest of the trip, we plan to stay in Tatasberg, Kokerboomkloof and lastly Gannakouriep.

Hopefully all of the above is do-able, but I'd appreciate advice if not. Also please help on best route out from Gannakouriep. Which gate would be best ? We'd ideally like to come back to Vioolsdrif to camp along the Orange en route home to Cape Town, but I'm guessing that'll be too long a haul. So does that leave Port Nolloth again as the best first night port of call after leaving Gannakouriep?

Thanks for any suggestions/advice in advance.
    Last edited by Cookie69; 2021/06/11 at 12:50 PM.

Default Re: Richtersveld Entrance and Exit points

Timewise, I don't think you would have an issue making it from Port Nolloth to De Hoop.

Best route out from Gannakouriep will be via the Helskloof pass, which comes out at the Helskloof gate. If I were you, when exiting at the Helskloof gate, I would head down to Eksteenfontein and then take the other Helskloof pass (yes - there are two in the Richtersveld - one in the park, and one in the community conservancy) to end up at the Orange river. It is perfectly doable in a day.

Enjoy the trip.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Thanks Ian !

I didn't know there was another Helskloof - I heard the one is fairly tough. Is this one pretty do-able?

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie69 View Post
    Thanks Ian !

I didn't know there was another Helskloof - I heard the one is fairly tough. Is this one pretty do-able?
    Yes, there are two. As mentioned, one in the park (highlighted red), and one in the community conservancy part of the Richtersveld (highlighted green).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HK.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	618663

They're both easily doable - I did not think they were very rough, but will probably depend on vehicles and experience and similar.

This is a photo of the Helskloof pass in the national park.

Name:	HK-3.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	334.1 KB 
ID:	618666

And these are photos of the Helskloof pass in the community conservancy section, as well as the piles of stones just before the pass (or afterwards, depending on which way you are going).

Name:	HK-1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	383.6 KB 
ID:	618664

Name:	HK-2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	467.0 KB 
ID:	618665

I did them both in November last year. The trip report is here, where there should be some more photos, and also some details about accommodation between Eksteenfontein and Vioolsdrif.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...kwa?highlight=

I'd seriously recommend doing both of them though and going back via Vioolsdrif. It's beautiful.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Hi in 2019 we drove to De Hoop from Porth Nolloth in 6 hours 15 min of which 4 hours 15 was driving time

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mve100 For This Useful Post:

Thanks Ian - very helpful info !

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Yes, there are two. As mentioned, one in the park (highlighted red), and one in the community conservancy part of the Richtersveld (highlighted green).

Name:	HK.png 
Views:	89 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	618663

They're both easily doable - I did not think they were very rough, but will probably depend on vehicles and experience and similar.

This is a photo of the Helskloof pass in the national park.

Name:	HK-3.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	334.1 KB 
ID:	618666

And these are photos of the Helskloof pass in the community conservancy section, as well as the piles of stones just before the pass (or afterwards, depending on which way you are going).

Name:	HK-1.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	383.6 KB 
ID:	618664

Name:	HK-2.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	467.0 KB 
ID:	618665

I did them both in November last year. The trip report is here, where there should be some more photos, and also some details about accommodation between Eksteenfontein and Vioolsdrif.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...kwa?highlight=

I'd seriously recommend doing both of them though and going back via Vioolsdrif. It's beautiful.

Last month we left Kokerboom Kloof via Helskloof Gate, and I was pulling an off-road trailer and it took me around 3.5 hours. Picturered is friend travelling ahead of us.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Nissan Navara 2.5Tdi D/C 2010
    Alucab, Longrange fuel tanks, 2nd spare wheel, TJM suspension 50/55mm lift, Sat/Nav/Revcamera,
    Dual battery system
    Invader Cheeky Off-road Camping Trailer
    Former car: Mahindra 2007 Scorpio 4x4 SUV2.6GLX