Default Paint Protection Film

Just got quoted a freaking large amount of money to stick some plastic film on the 4x4.. Not even the whole 4x4 just the most vulnerable parts...

Is it worth it?
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2021/06/11 at 07:27 AM.

2021 FJ Cruiser

Default Re: Paint Protection Film

It might be a good time to get quote for paint respray to compare... and I mean a proper respray.

PPF does seam to be pretty expensive, but the alternatives are just ludicrous.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RoddieJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Just got quoted a freaking large amount of money to stick some plastic film on the 4x4.. Not even the whole 4x4 just the most vulnerable parts...

Is it worth it?
    As jy baie bos ry, dan ja, in my opinie is dit elke sent werd.

My broer het dit op sy Isuzu gehad. As mens vergelyk hoe lyk my bakkie se verfwerk met syne, dan is dit die moeite werd, veral as jy beplan om die kar later in te ruil.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

The quote exceeds R20k..
    I actually felt my jaw hit the ground!

2021 FJ Cruiser

Its a piece of metal used for enjoyment and transport.when you sell it the guys will offer a tad less because of the scratches.
    Have you ever asked the guys who stick the stuff how long it takes to remove and the costThis stuff does not just pull off easy..and if you dont do the whole car then when you do remove it you have paint blemish between the sun exposed parts and the covered ones.
    I recon once you sell and can find a decent workshop that can buff the vehicle a bit it will remove most marks

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    As jy baie bos ry, dan ja, in my opinie is dit elke sent werd.

My broer het dit op sy Isuzu gehad. As mens vergelyk hoe lyk my bakkie se verfwerk met syne, dan is dit die moeite werd, veral as jy beplan om die kar later in te ruil.
    Perhaps, just perhaps, the film has nothing to do with it and your brother is just the better driver...
    Last edited by iandvl; 2021/06/11 at 08:50 AM.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

9. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Ive experienced it twice now when looking at vehicles to buy, that the salesman have said the vehicle isnt on the floor at the moment as its getting its clear coat redone cos they pulled the old, yellowing paint protection off and it pulled some of the clear coat with it.

Just saying.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

Iíve used Xpel PPF on the front of the engine of my motorbike. Itís brilliant. Most bikes like mine are destroyed by stone chips but mine is still like new.

A strip of PPF on the leading edge of a bonnet might be worth it to prevent stone chips.

The film itself is expensive. Itís not just a bit of polythene. The Xpel Ultimate PPF I used is self-healing. Warm water makes it ďhealĒ any dents or scratches on its surface to keep it looking smooth and glossy.

Thereís also a lot of labour involved in installing it. You have to prepare the surfaces first and if itís not put on properly, it will look crap.

PPF definitely works but whether the cost of installing it is worth it depends on how exact you are about your paintwork. If youíre thinking about resale value, as others have said, itís probably cheaper to get it sprayed or polished before you sell

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Ive experienced it twice now when looking at vehicles to buy, that the salesman have said the vehicle isnt on the floor at the moment as its getting its clear coat redone cos they pulled the old, yellowing paint protection off and it pulled some of the clear coat with it.

Just saying.
    That reminds me. There is a product that needs to be applied to it from time to time to prevent it from yellowing but most people donít bother.

I am in this industry and have been for just short of 27 years.

Early Paint protection films (polyurethane) had both yellowing and orange peal issues, however this has long been sorted. The recognised films dont yellow anymore.

Also todays films are relatively easy to remove. Park the vehicle in the sun for a few hours and the film should remove relatively easily taking all the adhesive with it. For stubborn areas you can heat up with a heat gun or even hair dryer to assist with removal.

As has been said the latest self healing films remain looking good for years (in fact you should not even know its there) and work extremely well in protecting the vehicle.

Regards Gavin
    2015 Discovery 4 30 SDV6 SE
    2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4
    Bush Lapa Baobab 2470
    Previous
    Metalian Off Road Trailer
    2010 Discovery 4 30 TDV6 SE
    Discovery 3 V6 S
    Discovery 2 TD5
    Defender 90 TDI
    Defender 110 V8 Hard Top
    Jurgens Xplorer

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wedwo For This Useful Post:

Ja die wrap is baie duur wat hulle op voertuie sit ek 2 jaar teug prys gekry vir my F was mal prys , ek polish my F liewer

Quote Originally Posted by Wedwo View Post
    I am in this industry and have been for just short of 27 years.

Early Paint protection films (polyurethane) had both yellowing and orange peal issues, however this has long been sorted. The recognised films dont yellow anymore.

Also todays films are relatively easy to remove. Park the vehicle in the sun for a few hours and the film should remove relatively easily taking all the adhesive with it. For stubborn areas you can heat up with a heat gun or even hair dryer to assist with removal.

As has been said the latest self healing films remain looking good for years (in fact you should not even know its there) and work extremely well in protecting the vehicle.

Regards Gavin
    Where do I get it from?

slabeye.

Hi please send me a mail and I will assist you

[email protected]

Regards Gavin
    2015 Discovery 4 30 SDV6 SE
    2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4
    Bush Lapa Baobab 2470
    Previous
    Metalian Off Road Trailer
    2010 Discovery 4 30 TDV6 SE
    Discovery 3 V6 S
    Discovery 2 TD5
    Defender 90 TDI
    Defender 110 V8 Hard Top
    Jurgens Xplorer

For the past 10 years I have wrapped all of my vehicles in VPS PP film. It's expensive...make no mistake.

Last year the Everest cost R24K...but that is for a full body wrap....full bonnet etc.

Worth every penny in my book....reason why....

....I reversed my bakkie into the garage late one night...well under the weather....and managed to scrape the left front fender...just above the wheel arch. Took it back to the fellows that wrapped it. PP film was removed in less then 5 minutes...no damage to the paint work.....replacing the new film took 10 minutes and then I left. Cost - R1000
    Now if that was without the PPF.....
    2019 VW Amarok Extreme V6 (QTec Tuned - 240KW / 700NM)
    2020 Ford Everest Limited 2.0 Bi-Turbo (SWAMBO)