Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Double Cabs - How Capable is Capable??

Ai ai seuns, en wie se tôttie was toe die grootste?
    En as jy die dag groot word, dan vind jy uit tegniek is die antwoord

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Ai ai seuns, en wie se tôttie was toe die grootste?
    En as jy die dag groot word, dan vind jy uit tegniek is die antwoord
    Ja wat Johan.

My OP was spesifiek die vraag - how capable is capable.

Selfde bestuurder, selfde tyres, alles verder stock standard......watter nuwe DC 4X4 gaan beste sleep, die verste deur die sand/modder/klippe kom, en so aan en so meer.

Gaan nie oor MY een wat beter is, of die Buurman s'n wat ek hoor so goed gedoen het in die Sahara woestyn nie.

Anyway......thanks for all (valuable) Inputs in here.
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2021/06/18 at 03:54 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Die Nr 1 faktor bly altyd die m03r wat die stuurwiel vashou.

Maar vir my doeleindes sal n stock GD6 nie werk nie terwyl n stock NP300 wel nog werk. Die ouer hilux stock het nog gewerk. Dit gaan oor ground clearance.
    Die stock Ranger werk ook nog, maar dan vat ek eerder die NP300.

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Maybe they all were V6s with 20" wheels or something silly behind the steering wheel?
    For some reason I identify with this chirp!

Very heartening for me to see a fair number of positive comments for the Amarok (specifically the V6, for obvious reasons) on this thread.... I never bought mine as a hard-core 4x4 vehicle, more of a "capable, comfortable, all-round overlander", and so far it hasn't disappointed...
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    For some reason I identify with this chirp!

Very heartening for me to see a fair number of positive comments for the Amarok (specifically the V6, for obvious reasons) on this thread.... I never bought mine as a hard-core 4x4 vehicle, more of a "capable, comfortable, all-round overlander", and so far it hasn't disappointed...
    I had an Amarok myself, not the V6 though. Mine was at the opposite end of the scale, a 90 kw single cab. I still think it's a great vehicle.
    The V6 must be nice to drive and when I look at how seldom I have to use low range, I can imagine that the low 1st gear takes you quite far. Enjoy your Amarok and know that deep down I envy you and still miss mine a little bit.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

I just purchased a 3.2 Triton, the build quality, lack of Rust on older models, the Diff lock and the big 3,2 did it for me, although the resale value isn’t the best, it helped me with my purchase, while shopping around I came across many with over 300000km on, a few with 400000km and two with 500000 km on, that says a lot and convinced me I was on the right track, fuel consumption has turned out to be surprisingly good, I wouldn’t want to put a one million Rand Amarok through its paces in the baviaans, the first scratch would break my heart

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Revs! For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Revs! View Post
    I just purchased a 3.2 Triton, the build quality, lack of Rust on older models, the Diff lock and the big 3,2 did it for me, although the resale value isn’t the best, it helped me with my purchase, while shopping around I came across many with over 300000km on, a few with 400000km and two with 500000 km on, that says a lot and convinced me I was on the right track, fuel consumption has turned out to be surprisingly good, I wouldn’t want to put a one million Rand Amarok through its paces in the baviaans, the first scratch would break my heart
    As usual we wander off topic - jammer, Petri. Fortunately (due to a special deal from VW at the time) I "only" paid R726K for my Extreme, but those first scratches DO hurt. Ironically the first two were from me reversing into my face-brick carport (about R5K to fix). The next were at 3Provinves, and cost about R2K to buff out. The pain diminishes as the vehicle gains gets older and gains more "character". Mine is coming up for 3 years old and even the parking lot dings don't bother me as much any more.

But, to try and get back on track, in terms of "how capable is capable", I believe it depends entirely on what you want to do with the vehicle. The 'rok is by no means THE most capable 4x4 out there, but as a novice driver I've done some reasonably tough trails in mine (Petri was present at one of them), and been impressed by the vehicle's capability in my inexperienced hands.

I certainly agree with the popular sentiment that the driver is probably the single most important component of the system. Certainly my 'rok is capable "enough" for what I want to do with it.
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ama-newbie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ama-newbie View Post
    As usual we wander off topic - jammer, Petri. Fortunately (due to a special deal from VW at the time) I "only" paid R726K for my Extreme, but those first scratches DO hurt. Ironically the first two were from me reversing into my face-brick carport (about R5K to fix). The next were at 3Provinves, and cost about R2K to buff out. The pain diminishes as the vehicle gains gets older and gains more "character". Mine is coming up for 3 years old and even the parking lot dings don't bother me as much any more.

But, to try and get back on track, in terms of "how capable is capable", I believe it depends entirely on what you want to do with the vehicle. The 'rok is by no means THE most capable 4x4 out there, but as a novice driver I've done some reasonably tough trails in mine (Petri was present at one of them), and been impressed by the vehicle's capability in my inexperienced hands.

I certainly agree with the popular sentiment that the driver is probably the single most important component of the system. Certainly my 'rok is capable "enough" for what I want to do with it.
    Rob that Rok impressed us all that weekend - it did that was asked of it.

AND you must have had one of the most comfy drives up to 3P and back, if not THE comfiest. Also a huge huge positive, in my Books anyway.

I think a Rok is hard to beat on faster gravel travel, let alone tarmac.....had one on the farm (2,0 litre), and that thing drives as if on rails on sinkplaat curves - I know.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

I'm also in the position of looking at a new 4x4 DC. I have noticed that the Ford Ranger has a wading depth of 800mm and the Mitsubishi is 600mm. The other big brands don't have that information easily available on the websites.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew.W View Post
    I'm also in the position of looking at a new 4x4 DC. I have noticed that the Ford Ranger has a wading depth of 800mm and the Mitsubishi is 600mm. The other big brands don't have that information easily available on the websites.
    FWIW the Amarok is 500mm. Someone said it could probably handle more than that, but that VW was being "cautious". I don't know if that is B/S or not (the comment about VW)... I have seen comments about the alternator being mounted quite low in the 'rok, and that is one cause of the lower than usual wading depth.

But I think if you just Google "wading depth of XXXXX" you should get some hits, not necessarily from the manufacturers. There are plenty of comparative tests that mention these kinds of stats...
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.

Wading depth is a tricky thing

The Ford was 800mm, I doubt the new 20BiT could be the same, as they moved the air intake...
    The Triton also has a front air intake

It would suck that bow wave so hard, it would look like Moses was near....

2021 FJ Cruiser

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Bit of a late reply but FWIW, I bought a Fiat Fullback late last year and have never looked back. I've been out of the 4x4 scene for a few years having gone over to soft roaders but I knew I'd always be back in a "real" 4x4. For me, a "real" 4x4 needs to have low range and at least a rear diff lock, but after having had a 1976 FJ45 and a 1980's Patrol, if I was going to leave the soft roader, my DC must be at least as comfortable as my Subaru Forrester or Hyundai Tuscon were. The Fullback is that and more. I drive it daily to work and back and weekends the "bakkie" part often gets used with garden rubble or woodworking supplies. That's a another requirement for me - it must have a decent load box. The Fullback's gearbox is so very smooth and even though I never thought I'd drive an auto bakkie one day, it is impressing even me. I haven't taken it off-road yet but am not an over-lander and suspect it will do just fine on the occasional 3 or 4 out 5 rated off-road trial. If I happen to get back into mountain biking one day again, it will do nicely to get me to some of the events and locations for that, I'm sure.

PS - It also helps and is fair to mention that I bought it during a Fiat promotion and it was about R100k cheaper than anything else with comparable specs and performance.
    Last edited by NevilleP; 2021/06/21 at 12:38 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to NevilleP For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post

You just hang a large towel over the grill and it keeps the intake clear of any water.

Back on the topic: I find a DC way more practical for overlanding than a SUV (I have both).

In all my travels I've never been in a situation where I needed "the best" 4x4 bakkie. The worst conditions been going down van Zyl's pass with a standard Mazda 2.5 lwb. No damage, nothing. Maybe an after market suspension would be needed on current bakkies for the same situation. I have that on my current Isuzu, but could well do without that.

I only tow an Echo 4, I prefer to travel as light as possible, I prefer to avoid very deep water, I do not do 4x4 trails and I avoid serious klippe! The times I got stuck, was only my own fault.

At the end of the day it is a tool and you buy the one that suits your needs and why should my 4x4 be "the best".

Bostoe

21. The Following User Says Thank You to bostoe For This Useful Post:

I doubt that the Triton intake is a big problem. In South America they do a lot of crazy river crossings and the don't spend money on snorkels etc. If a Triton can do these type of crossings without a snorkel I reckon the design is pretty solid.

https://youtu.be/9gVVNdjib98

The Ford was 800mm, I doubt the new 20BiT could be the same, as they moved the air intake...

From Ford's website: 800mm Water Wading - on 4x2 Hi-Rider and 4x4 Ranger models. Achieved when maintaining a steady speed of 7 km/h.
    Francois

Let us hope they reviewed, and confirmed this after changing the intake design. Sometime these stats are carried over from previous model incarnations on some websites.

2021 FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by bostoe View Post
    You just hang a large towel over the grill and it keeps the intake clear of any water.

Back on the topic: I find a DC way more practical for overlanding than a SUV (I have both).

In all my travels I've never been in a situation where I needed "the best" 4x4 bakkie. The worst conditions been going down van Zyl's pass with a standard Mazda 2.5 lwb. No damage, nothing. Maybe an after market suspension would be needed on current bakkies for the same situation. I have that on my current Isuzu, but could well do without that.

I only tow an Echo 4, I prefer to travel as light as possible, I prefer to avoid very deep water, I do not do 4x4 trails and I avoid serious klippe! The times I got stuck, was only my own fault.

At the end of the day it is a tool and you buy the one that suits your needs and why should my 4x4 be "the best".

Bostoe
    Nice Post Sir......

Makes one think, Hey - do I really REALLY need that pukka 4x4 that CAN do that 3 Provinces Helshoogte, if chances are basically 100% that I'd never take it up Helshoogte - EVER??
    Rather then go for something FAR more easy/comfy to drive, 95% of the time?
    And chances are anyway also basically 100% that your "perceived" capable 4x4DC is gonna do exaccetly the same as your mate's perceived "less capable" one..?

I'm saying "perceived", because if (I'm just taking 3 random 4x4 DC's here).........if a Fiat Fullback and a Mazda and a Hilux 2,8 goes up the same trail, let's take the trail at 3P for example again - and they all make it through everything (which they will).......then, what exactly does "capable" REALLY matter??
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2021/06/21 at 01:26 PM.

Bostoe , baie goed gestel en ek self het ook suv,s gery en n DC is viir my ook beter.
    Quote Originally Posted by bostoe View Post

Bostoe

Die oor en weer vergelykings is goed. Ek is 4x Isuzu 4x4 DC later. Vorige 3 almal 150000km plus op verkoop. Nie een engin probleem nie. 2015 het wel n difflock sensor probleem gehad. Huidiglik ry ek die 2020 model. My tweede keuse sal die Triton of GD6 wees. Almal is egter capable.
    Isuzu KB300 DTEQ D/C 4x4
    Bushbaby offroad trailor

29. The Following User Says Thank You to GerhardtN For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast