Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Double Cabs - How Capable is Capable??

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    This Thread refers - actually my For Sale Thread, but it turned into an interesting discussion on an Amarok V6's capability vs other makes.

This is not about the Rok or the Ranger........I'm talking ALL makes here, in DC 4X4 configuration ONLY. Its also not a Thread about which is best.

Its about the term "offroad capability".

What would YOU say defines a capable DC 4x4?? 4x4 Capabilities ONLY......not resale value, or service levels etc etc......ONLY what you perceive as a capable DC 4X4 , and why??

If you are buying a new DC, and your ONLY consideration is this........what would "attract" you most??

Lets talk current Models only, off the floor specs only....................AND, to keep things interesting, lets exclude the 79 Cruiser - its a SFA, and has twin lockers. I classify that as a "hard" 4x4 DC, so we'll talk about the "softer" offerings with IFS and all those nice bells and whistles

So...to sum up......: HOW CAPABLE DOES YOUR DREAM 4X4 D/CAB NEED TO BE??

?

Uncle Petri for what you want to do I will not look further than a V6 Amarok.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

I agree, I would not use the Amarok for a farm workhorse, but for everything else it is great.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    I agree, I would not use the Amarok for a farm workhorse, but for everything else it is great.
    My Amarok is my farm workhorse, the second one. First was a two litre and now a V6. Maybe I am more cautious than most but have never destroyed a bakkie doing farm work in the last 40 years. The only one that did give bodywork trouble was a Hi-Lux around 1995 model. would not choose to move away from Amarok - mine has definitely proved itself to be extremely weel built and tough. As to 4x4 capabilities works well for me - I farm on extremely steep wetslopes. The only criticism I have is the ABS and this goes for all modern bakkies. Even with the offroad activated coming down a slippery slope with a ravine on the one side is terrifying, Use my SJ in that type of weather.Havent had wet roads to try the new Jimny on. I suspect it will still be better than te bakkies as it is much lighter and will have less momentum pushing it into a slide. You hit the brake or use HDC and the vehicle speeds up.(This is in my experience true with all ABS I have tried) The ABS will NOT let it slide till it gets a bit of grip. As to the OPs original post - the Amarok is more capable than most would believe (and most of those who doubt its capabilities have not ever driven one) and I would anyday rather take it on a road or track needing 4x4 than the farm HiLux SRX we have here as well. But that is my opinion borne from my experiences over the years. BTW I have not in 7 years got stuck in a place I could not reverse out of.
    2021 Suzuki Jimny GLX AT (Kinetic Yellow)
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    2014 Amarok 4Motion Auto (Sold)
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    2019 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 Tekna CVT
    1985 Suzuki SJ413
    Fiat 500 1400MTA (Tweety)

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dez For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dez View Post
    My Amarok is my farm workhorse, the second one. First was a two litre and now a V6. Maybe I am more cautious than most but have never destroyed a bakkie doing farm work in the last 40 years. The only one that did give bodywork trouble was a Hi-Lux around 1995 model. would not choose to move away from Amarok - mine has definitely proved itself to be extremely weel built and tough. As to 4x4 capabilities works well for me - I farm on extremely steep wetslopes. The only criticism I have is the ABS and this goes for all modern bakkies. Even with the offroad activated coming down a slippery slope with a ravine on the one side is terrifying, Use my SJ in that type of weather.Havent had wet roads to try the new Jimny on. I suspect it will still be better than te bakkies as it is much lighter and will have less momentum pushing it into a slide. You hit the brake or use HDC and the vehicle speeds up.(This is in my experience true with all ABS I have tried) The ABS will NOT let it slide till it gets a bit of grip. As to the OPs original post - the Amarok is more capable than most would believe (and most of those who doubt its capabilities have not ever driven one) and I would anyday rather take it on a road or track needing 4x4 than the farm HiLux SRX we have here as well. But that is my opinion borne from my experiences over the years. BTW I have not in 7 years got stuck in a place I could not reverse out of.
    Dez I think it is all about the area you farm in. New generation pickups does not survive in Haakbos and Driedoring infested areas.
    Farmer friend of mine in the Kalahari went from Cruisers to Single Cab Amaroks and then back to Cruisers. But this is not what this thread is about.
    I have said it in the past. If I need to buy a DC today it will be the v6 Amarok. Unfortunately with the kids grownup and out the house a DC does not have a purpose for me anymore.

Think the V6 Amarok will be the perfect vehicle for Petri. He does lots of long distance driving in many cases towing a car trailer.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Dez I think it is all about the area you farm in. New generation pickups does not survive in Haakbos and Driedoring infested areas.
    Farmer friend of mine in the Kalahari went from Cruisers to Single Cab Amaroks and then back to Cruisers. But this is not what this thread is about.
    I have said it in the past. If I need to buy a DC today it will be the v6 Amarok. Unfortunately with the kids grownup and out the house a DC does not have a purpose for me anymore.

Think the V6 Amarok will be the perfect vehicle for Petri. He does lots of long distance driving in many cases towing a car trailer.
    Christo nee, solank my linkerbeen nog kan clutch trap niks anders as 'n V6/V8 Cruiser DC nie......AS ek hom nodig het.

As ek MOET Auto ry - seker maar die Rok.

Maar nie DC nodig op die stadium nie.......ry met platkar my lang draaie en die ou Patrol die res.

All 4x4 DC’s are capable bakkies but subject to the following:

1. Know your vehicle’s off road assist utilities.
    2. Know your vehicle’s designed capabilities.
    3. Know your “do not go there”.
    4. Driver (biggest influence) 4x4 skills.
    2019 Wildtrak 4x4 Bi-Turbo - Current
    2019 Ford Figo Trend Auto - SWAMBO's platkar
    2017 Everest 2.2 XLT - Sold
    2016 Ranger 3.2 Manual - Sold

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Predator For This Useful Post:

I'd still LOVE to really see how capable each DC 4X4 is, say in the following departments (and all stock standard, and all driven by the same person, say with a 500 kg load at the back and 4 persons inside the cab, meaning ALL factors being equal.......I also think ALL should be fitted with exactly the same tyres):

1) Towing, say, a 1500 kg caravan/camper on a specific route.........but a silly test, all will do it in the same manner I guess.....and no drag races or high speed tests, thats sommer net silly.

2) Going up a rocky incline

3) Going through a muddy section

4) Sand driving

.............which one will run out of breath first, and which one will go furthest??

and then

6) Fuel consumption with all the above "tests" done.

I'd still LOVE to really see how capable each DC 4X4 is, say in the following departments (and all stock standard, and all driven by the same person, say with a 500 kg load at the back and 4 persons inside the cab, meaning ALL factors being equal.......I also think ALL should be fitted with exactly the same tyres):

1) Towing, say, a 1500 kg caravan/camper on a specific route.........but a silly test, all will do it in the same manner I guess.....and no drag races or high speed tests, thats sommer net silly.

2) Going up a rocky incline

3) Going through a muddy section

4) Sand driving

.............which one will run out of breath first, and which one will go furthest??

and then

6) Fuel consumption with all the above "tests" done.
    1) Amarok
    2) I think they all do pretty well and it depends more on the operator
    3) Everything stuggles in mud, even tractors and buldozers
    4) the Amarok, they dont call it king of the dunes for nothing, but dont get bogged with the Auto.
    5) ?
    6) I dont know about fuel consumption, it tend to depend more on the weight of the right foot than on other things.

Predator als wat jy hier gese het is 100% reg
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    All 4x4 DC’s are capable bakkies but subject to the following:

1.Know your vehicle’s off road assist utilities.
    2.Know your vehicle’s designed capabilities.
    3.Know your “do not go there”.
    4.Driver (biggest influence) 4x4 skills.

I think all DC are equal with small differences. Tech moves fast and they become more and more sophisticated. Nevertheless I will stick to the LC V6. I is a lot more robust and most probably the last 4x4 I will ever own.
    2002 Discovery td5

1) Amarok
    4) the Amarok, they dont call it king of the dunes for nothing, but dont get bogged with the Auto.
    5) ?
    6) I dont know about fuel consumption, it tend to depend more on the weight of the right foot than on other things.
    I really won't call an Amarok V6 king of the dunes. Pushed hard in technical Dune driving the auto box overheating problem rob them from that title. Whoopa 2017 sorted that. Both Derick and Ryno could not do Langduin without cooking their auto boxes. But in the short Dune climbs Derick with 35 inch tyres did not do that bad. Derick came third in the dune competition but a FJ and 4.5EFI 100 Series run circles around them

Same with rock crawling the lack of low range make you to use more momentum than a low range equiped 4x4m.
    Last edited by grips; 2021/06/18 at 06:44 AM.

Petri overall the 2.8 Gd6 Hilux with its rear locker and electronic front E-lock have set a high standard in Dune driving and rock crawling
    Last edited by grips; 2021/06/18 at 06:00 PM.

Ek was al saam met Amarok,s in die woestyn en hulle was beslus nie king,s gewees in die woestyn nie.
    1) Amarok
    5) ?

Christo stem wat jy se ek dit in die woestyn gesien die 2.8 Gd6 doen baie goed daar en moet by se die drywer ken van duine ry.
    Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Petril overall the 2.8 Gd6 Hilux with its rear locker and electronic front E-lock have set a high standard in Dune driving and rock crawling

AND, to keep things interesting, lets exclude the 79 Cruiser - its a SFA, and has twin lockers. I classify that as a "hard" 4x4 DC,

?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nambro View Post
    I will stick to the LC V6. I is a lot more robust and most probably the last 4x4 I will ever own.
    Shakes head sadly!
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

[QUOTE=Francois Theron;4663563]Shakes head sadly![/QUOTE

Ja Nee Swaer

Kom ons gooi sommer 'n DC Iveco ook innie mix vir good measure
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2021/06/18 at 07:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Venter View Post
    Ek was al saam met Amarok,s in die woestyn en hulle was beslus nie king,s gewees in die woestyn nie.
    Ek praat van die V6 Amarok, nie die 2.0L

Ek praat van die V6 Amarok, nie die 2.0L
    Maybe they all were V6s with 20" wheels or something silly behind the steering wheel?
    Last edited by HugoNotte; 2021/06/18 at 08:47 AM.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

[QUOTE=Petri Oosthuizen;4663567]
    Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Shakes head sadly![/QUOTE

Ja Nee Swaer

Kom ons gooi sommer 'n DC Iveco ook innie mix vir good measure
    Perhaps a Unimog for good measure? Since a few guys don't appreciate comments
    2002 Discovery td5

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast