Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Default Re: Double Cabs - How Capable is Capable??

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Topic Header should actually read..........HOW CAPABLE DOES YOUR DREAM 4X4 D/CAB NEED TO BE??

Sorry Guys - current Header may be misleading. Mods if you can maybe help??

Anyway - If I could choose any shiny new DC 4X4 Today??

My Current needs/use:

1) Long distance driving, 80/90% tar, rest gravel, 4x4 High needed maybe 5-10%, Low Range basically never (I have an old Patrol for that).
    2) LR thus not needed
    3) Needs to tow a boat/caravan and launch, etc etc
    4) I love a manual, but Auto may also work I guess

My Wish List:

In Auto............Amarok V6 - that's the only one I'd consider for MY use.

Manual.............Hilux 2,8. Ticks all my boxes, and I'm a Toy fan, and those 2,8's are VERY nice vehicles.

My Choice, for MY use....?? Rok V6. That auto box is oh SO nice, and the Rok V6 would fit my needs 100%. I'd rather get used to that Auto to enjoy the whole Package than stick to manual but not have a V6 TDi with space/presence/capable enough for my 4x4 needs
    'n Goedgestelde plasing van die "draad" mooi opgesom en uitgespel
    Piet the Camper
    Bl 24

Topic Header should actually read..........HOW CAPABLE DOES YOUR DREAM 4X4 D/CAB NEED TO BE??

Sorry Guys - current Header may be misleading. Mods if you can maybe help??

Anyway - If I could choose any shiny new DC 4X4 Today??

My Current needs/use:

1) Long distance driving, 80/90% tar, rest gravel, 4x4 High needed maybe 5-10%, Low Range basically never (I have an old Patrol for that).
    2) LR thus not needed
    3) Needs to tow a boat/caravan and launch, etc etc
    4) I love a manual, but Auto may also work I guess

My Wish List:

In Auto............Amarok V6 - that's the only one I'd consider for MY use.

Manual.............Hilux 2,8. Ticks all my boxes, and I'm a Toy fan, and those 2,8's are VERY nice vehicles.

My Choice, for MY use....?? Rok V6. That auto box is oh SO nice, and the Rok V6 would fit my needs 100%. I'd rather get used to that Auto to enjoy the whole Package than stick to manual but not have a V6 TDi with space/presence/capable enough for my 4x4 needs
    In this case any of the current 4x4's will work. It will boil down to what looks nice and what drives nice....... IN YOUR OPINION!

For me, I need low range and at least a rear difflock. I like both destinations and trails.
    Live life to the fullest....no matter what!

Quote Originally Posted by cainslie View Post
    The Hilux that I already have.
    This is a tough one.

I migrated from a very capable D4 XS lifted to an Iron man moded hilux. chipped the works.

My first off road was the Bitterpan road in Kgalighadi. I had driven that trach with both vehicles.
    First impression was that the hilux was streets ahead of the D4. I first put it down to the extra suspension travel that the Hilux had with a fully moded suspension. The D4 only had Oldman Enu springs fitted to give 50mm extra lift. No upper wishbone change so downward travel would be limited.

Then I thought maybe I should compare both as standard off the floor vehicles. How would they compare?

I think the XS had a disadvantage in that it was a bit low as standard. Standard Hilux Don't know.

Conclusion. I think any renown suspension mod would give a vehicle an advantage over a standard model.

So I have been around the circle and got no where. I often debate this with my mates and there are so many variables we have to stop because the Swambos are getting hungry. Suspension, tyre pressures, and the big one....the spanner behind the wheel.

I have seen Rangies labouring in the sand in Richters, while the locals pass it in a 1972 Hilux with biscuit tyres.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

Condor stem wat jy se maar dan se ek ook dit hang baie af van die drywer ook want nie elke drywer bestuur die selfde nie.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Condor View Post
    Just maybe we should arrange a 'Doublecab Shootout"!

1 vehicle per brand. Stock Standard!

16 Spookspruit obstacles.

Spectators are the judges...

They will all do what you want to do.
    Pick the one you like! And you turn around and look back at when you walk away

Quote Originally Posted by The Condor View Post
    Just maybe we should arrange a 'Doublecab Shootout"!

1 vehicle per brand. Stock Standard!

16 Spookspruit obstacles.

Spectators are the judges...
    Jaaaaaa.........ek voorspel almal gaan BAAAIE na aan mekaar wees in 4x4 offroad stuff......ek sou my geld hier wed op dalk die Triton, Raptor, dalk selfs Hilux. Dink so.

Vinnige nice gravel?? Ek sou se die Rok.

Sand, ook seker die Rok??

KWAAI rock crawling?? Ek sou se Raptor of Triton......??

I think all the double cabs are so equal in spec and capability, that the driver will determine the "winner".

It you have a shoot-out, invite your own "Stig" to be the test driver.
    If he is available, I would suggest Sakkie (even though he is no active on the forum any more).
    Give him 30mins with each vehicle, to get to know it, and then let him do a trail and score the vehicle.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

For my needs I think the Rok v6 is perfect, I just love the look of the raptor.

My use
    Road 80%
    Gravel - Offroad 20%

For the odd city trips the Auto will be perfect.

The Raptor is very comfortable, the auto box is also very smooth - just underpowered otherwise this would be my first choice.

Strangely the first v6 Amarok had 150kw and 500nm. The raptor has 157kw and 500nm so on paper these two should be very similar.
    It looks like the Amaroks power delivery is so much better with similar power or the tires on the Raptor really hold it back.

Ek het n ou 4x4 dc, hy is diesel, hy is manual, hy ry hard en ry bitter stadig...en tog is daar nie iets waarvoor ek hom sal of kan veruil nie....(elektroniese goeters en en en)
    So sonder om te hijack....

Ek ry 14km werk toe en terug 5dae n week...so wanneer ek n grondpad kan ry, ry ek vir hom....so teerpad/grondpad verhouding = 40/60%
    HR en LR...hang af wat die grondpad inhou...het LR al baie nodig gehad...so dit is n moet. Soos @Morne se "It's hard to look past the super select gearbox" maar nie n moet vir my.

Clearance...as mens nie rock crawling doen nie...why worry? Dit gaan tog oor waar die wiele geplaas word? En DL maak op vir die "lost clearance en wheel travel"
    Ek hou van M/T en sal by dit hou wanneer dit kom by my ou 4x4 dc...vir die nuwe 4x4 dc sal dit ou tamaties wees...net omdat die beheer so great is met LR...ek het n ranger dc 4x4 A/T gery per geleentheid en moet se...dis nice.

Ook omdat die nuwe soft 4x4's met al hierdie maintenance en service en roadside assistance goeters kom is nog n rede hoekom ek vir die intelligent A/T opsie sal gaan.
    My skoonpa het verlede week die nuwe X rider gekoop met n intelligent ou tamatie ratkas...dis nice. So julle kry die punt.
    Enige soft 4x4 sal voldoen aan jag, kamp, mall crawl wanneer mamma dorp toe gaan, sunday drives op teerpad of grondpad, boot sleep, karavaan sleep en nou en dan 4x4 ry.
    En daarom kies ek enige een...almal is nice.

Sodra die "off the floor specs" nie meer geld nie, wel kom ek se...dis nou n ander blik met wurms daai.
    • 1960's Series 2A 88" Land-Rover powered by Isuzu C201 (ThermoKing generator motor) (Camping, Fishing, Hunting, Towing, Boat launching, Rubbish tipper, Over landing, 4x4 tracks, 4x4 obstacles, Recovery vehicle, Sunday drives and Daily drive)
    • Want to need list: Snorkel, New suspension, 35's, Custom Canvas interior, Winch, Recovery kit, Dual Battery system, Solar panel and brakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Leon Venter View Post
    Condor stem wat jy se maar dan se ek ook dit hang baie af van die drywer ook want nie elke drywer bestuur die selfde nie.
    4ePajero beat me to it
    Last edited by Estee; 2021/06/11 at 10:05 AM.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Jaaaaaa.........ek voorspel almal gaan BAAAIE na aan mekaar wees in 4x4 offroad stuff......ek sou my geld hier wed op dalk die Triton, Raptor, dalk selfs Hilux. Dink so.

Vinnige nice gravel?? Ek sou se die Rok.

Sand, ook seker die Rok??

KWAAI rock crawling?? Ek sou se Raptor of Triton......??
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxy4jBnKMX4

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...oad+comparison
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Soos ek dit verstaan kan die Amarok meeste van die obstacles en goed doen wat enige ander D/c kan doen.
    Die probleem kom egter in as jy stadig teen n bergpas of iets moet op ry vir n lang tyd dan overheat die ratkas omdat hy nie die laer ratios het nie. So die travel en clearences ens is nie noodwendig n probleem nie.
    Selfde met boot launch ens mens het daai laer ratverhoudings nodig.
    I recently did the Ben10 Eco Challenge with Mountain Passes of South Africa in my Amarok. It went where all the others went without low range and with 19inch wheels. Used off-road mode up and down extremely long mountain passes offroad. Sometime 3 or 4 hours per mountain pass. I had now issues.

On the last day when we did Bastervoetpad there was a gentleman that opted to not take his LR Disco 4 and bummed a lift in a Prado. There were Cruisers, Prado's, Hiluxes, Rangers and me with my Amarok.

BTW - it was the first tour MPSA had done without a puncture or mechanical fault with any of the vehicles.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 4Motion Auto

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    Soos ek dit verstaan kan die Amarok meeste van die obstacles en goed doen wat enige ander D/c kan doen.
    Die probleem kom egter in as jy stadig teen n bergpas of iets moet op ry vir n lang tyd dan overheat die ratkas omdat hy nie die laer ratios het nie. So die travel en clearences ens is nie noodwendig n probleem nie.
    Selfde met boot launch ens mens het daai laer ratverhoudings nodig.
    lock hom in 1ste met off road select en jy klim ure lank stadig uit waar jy wil wees, ook maar weer n hoor se oor ratkas wat overheat, ek al op my 4de amarok en nog nooit n issue gehad, ek selfs sleep bush lapa in dik sand in rivier beddings hier in nam of op strand, weereens maar leer die bakkie ken. maar ja amarok nie die beste maar hy hoef nie terug te staan ek kom nog elke keer uit waar die sogenaamde harde luxse en cuisers ry, praat nou nie van grade 5 obsticals. Ek het al klein tafelberg gery en die bobbejaan roete daar en die wat die plek ken weet daai is n erg klip roete en plekke moet jy trappe klim en dit is die ergste wat ek anyway sal ry met enige kar en hy het geslaag so vir daai 1 keer n jaar gebruik vir dit en res grondpad en sleep en sand / duine ry is ek happy met my V6

2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hein100 For This Useful Post:

Strangely no-one mentioned the Navara... Hope the new one puts confidence back in the brand. The Pro 4X does look good.

My choice is one that dont have all the gimmicks that interferes with the brakes, but must have diff locks.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/06/11 at 10:25 AM.
    Johan Kriel

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Low range, diff lock and clearance for me. They don't need power, those old 4x4s were slow but went anywhere.
    Last edited by Walnut; 2021/06/11 at 10:45 AM.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walnut For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by renier_c View Post
    They will all do what you want to do.
    Pick the one you like! And you turn around and look back at when you walk away
    100%

I would be happy to own almost any of them, I'm just happier to own a Hilux because I catch myself looking at it every now and then, saying "jussie, that's a nice looking car"

The old Triton looked horrible, the new one looks nice, particularly with a custom canopy. Dmax is a legend. Not a massive Nav fan.

The Amarok, well, I'd rather poo in my hands and clap.
    That's nothing against the owners though, it's just how it makes me feel.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~125000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 25000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

100%

I would be happy to own almost any of them, I'm just happier to own a Hilux because I catch myself looking at it every now and then, saying "jussie, that's a nice looking car"

The old Triton looked horrible, the new one looks nice, particularly with a custom canopy. Dmax is a legend. Not a massive Nav fan.

The Amarok, well, I'd rather poo in my hands and clap.
    That's nothing against the owners though, it's just how it makes me feel.
    I think the new Isuzu is epic, love them, especially the Arctic Edition

Name:  images (11).jpeg
Views: 317
Size:  83.5 KB

I don't like anything with low profiles. Yes maybe they can do trails, but I think it's lucky if you consistently ride rough tracks with low profiles. It's like that one friends who's grandad smoked and lived till 100, there is always 1.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Walnut For This Useful Post:

FWM

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    I think the new Isuzu is epic, love them
    Me too. I just got burned with a '97 280DT D/C many years ago and need to pluck up courage to try the brand again.

I absolutely loved that car, but it cost me a fortune. Entirely my fault, I did almost zero maintenance and didn't treat it well. I've grown up since then.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~125000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 25000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

Me too. I just got burned with a '97 280DT D/C many years ago and need to pluck up courage to try the brand again.

I absolutely loved that car, but it cost me a fortune. Entirely my fault, I did almost zero maintenance and didn't treat it well. I've grown up since then.
    Huh?

You burned a DT280, it did not burn you!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast