Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Amarok V6 Long trip review

Hey Guy

So I've done my first long trip with my new Amarok V6 Hi line +- 400km on road and 200km gravel 10km bad rocky road

Just a short review

The good
    The bakkie has more than enough power the gearbox is great and changes quick
    It's really the best on road bakkie I've ever driven even with the heavy-duty suspension the ride is soft enough for a Bakkie.

Driving 120km on an gravel road is easily possible with the offroad mode. It just goes over anything.

Even when doing some rough rock climbing the Bakkie had no problems more than capable for my needs

Must have extras
    Seikel Dust Proof Kit
    Tailgate Shock

At this price I kinda think the tailgate shock should be standard

I have an RSI Canopy on and I had no dust at all inside which was great!

The bad
    At this price I think the Hi Line should come standard with electric seats.
    The radio is also getting old and outdated now and navigation isn't standard
    The V6 doesn't sound good at all! I'm sure VW could do some trickery to make it sound better

Interior biggest let down!
    I don't really understand who at VW thought the centre console is sufficient It is basically a storage console for the handbrake. Nevermind adding a cooler option in place of the console, Just impossible with the handbrake placement.

Cup holders, only 2 in front, again it seems like the whole centre console has been designed around the handbrake also no cooling option?

Why vw didn't carry over something simple like the pop out holders in front of the air vents from the entry level polo I don't understand?

So seeing that there is no centre console space you would expect an massive glove box? Wrong the glove box is tiny really can't fit much in.

My biggest problem is: The Amarok used the same gearbox as most SUV's Touareg, bmw Mercedes land-rover (under correction) but for some reason it seems in the Amarok the gearbox and handbrake takes up all the prime property that was supposed to be an function centre console not just and gear level and handbrake

So why did I then buy the Amarok in the first place? I wanted a powerful, comfortable Bakkie than can drive 90% on road and tow 3 tons without problems, the suspension, motor and gearbox is super!!! I just expected a bit for interior for the price

I'm sure allot of these interior comments can be said about allot of other bakkies if not all which just shows how overpriced bakkies has become

I just think it's time that manufacturers start giving us R1 million interiors in our R1 million bakkies!

Just my 2c
    Last edited by Marco; 2021/06/10 at 03:59 PM.
    Admin removed

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Marco For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Amarok V6 Long trip review

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hey Guy

So I've done my first long trip with my new Amarok V6 Hi line +- 400km on road and 200km gravel 10km bad rocky road

Just a short review

The good
    The bakkie has more than enough power the gearbox is great and changes quick
    It's really the best on road bakkie I've ever driven even with the heavy-duty suspension the ride is soft enough for a Bakkie.

Driving 120km on an gravel road is easily possible with the offroad mode. It just goes over anything.

Even when doing some rough rock climbing the Bakkie had no problems more than capable for my needs

Must have extras
    Seikel Dust Proof Kit
    Tailgate Shock

At this price I kinda think the tailgate shock should be standard

I have an RSI Canopy on and I had no dust at all inside which was great!

The bad
    At this price I think the Hi Line should come standard with electric seats.
    The radio is also getting old and outdated now and navigation isn't standard
    The V6 doesn't sound good at all! I'm sure VW could do some trickery to make it sound better

Interior biggest let down!
    I don't really understand who at VW thought the centre console is sufficient It is basically a storage console for the handbrake. Nevermind adding a cooler option in place of the console, Just impossible with the handbrake placement.

Cup holders, only 2 in front, again it seems like the whole centre console has been designed around the handbrake also no cooling option?

Why vw didn't carry over something simple like the pop out holders in front of the air vents from the entry level polo I don't understand?

So seeing that there is no centre console space you would expect an massive glove box? Wrong the glove box is tiny really can't fit much in.

My biggest problem is: The Amarok used the same gearbox as most SUV's Touareg, bmw Mercedes land-rover (under correction) but for some reason it seems in the Amarok the gearbox and handbrake takes up all the prime property that was supposed to be an function centre console not just and gear level and handbrake

So why did I then buy the Amarok in the first place? I wanted a powerful, comfortable Bakkie than can drive 90% on road and tow 3 tons without problems, the suspension, motor and gearbox is super!!! I just expected a bit for interior for the price

I'm sure allot of these interior comments can be said about allot of other bakkies if not all which just shows how overpriced bakkies has become

I just think it's time that manufacturers start giving us R1 million interiors in our R1 million bakkies!

Just my 2c
    THANK THE POPE YOU DID NOT LOOK AT A CRUIZER. Then you would be bleak about the interior.

Jokes aside. Hope it works for you in the long run, and the prices of all vehicles are crazy these days.
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok BiTDi 4Motion
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

I've had my 2015 2l for over 60000km and I agree with you on everything... (though I could use a bit more power)

Regarding the interior especially, VW have dropped the ball... the Polo and Golf are refreshed almost annually, yet the Amarok was updated once! And that was is 2017 (I think).

But then I think it comes down to budgets, mainly due to market size, and the Amarok market isn't huge.
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BobMabena For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BobMabena View Post
    I've had my 2015 2l for over 60000km and I agree with you on everything... (though I could use a bit more power)

Regarding the interior especially, VW have dropped the ball... the Polo and Golf are refreshed almost annually, yet the Amarok was updated once! And that was is 2017 (I think).

But then I think it comes down to budgets, mainly due to market size, and the Amarok market isn't huge.
    The Amarok sold quite well in the rest of the world, I think with annual sales in the region of 80 000 units per annum. What killed updates/upgrades in the Amarok was dieselgate. The financial fall out of dieselgate forced VW to change direction and sink huge cash resources into electrification projects, also resulted in the Amarok factory in Germany having to make space for electric vehicle manufacturing. Were it not for dieselgate, I am convinced we would have seen purebred Amaroks for quite a time to come. In stead we will see a rebadged Ford for the next couple of years, and after that probably an electric Amarok.

Groetnis

Koos

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Beurvoort For This Useful Post:

Believe it or not the Cruiser is the reason I bought a Amarok I've owned 6 Toyotas!! Let's not go there what a rip off!

The Hilux RS does have a better interior than the Amarok, but that motor and stupid gearbox is something you can't upgrade!

Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    THANK THE POPE YOU DID NOT LOOK AT A CRUIZER. Then you would be bleak about the interior.

Jokes aside. Hope it works for you in the long run, and the prices of all vehicles are crazy these days.
    Admin removed

I do understand but, with today's technology of chassis sharing and motor sharing I can't be that hard to share the dash and seats of say the Touareg or Q7 even the Q5 or tiguan to the Amarok

Quote Originally Posted by Beurvoort View Post
    The Amarok sold quite well in the rest of the world, I think with annual sales in the region of 80 000 units per annum. What killed updates/upgrades in the Amarok was dieselgate. The financial fall out of dieselgate forced VW to change direction and sink huge cash resources into electrification projects, also resulted in the Amarok factory in Germany having to make space for electric vehicle manufacturing. Were it not for dieselgate, I am convinced we would have seen purebred Amaroks for quite a time to come. In stead we will see a rebadged Ford for the next couple of years, and after that probably an electric Amarok.

Groetnis

Koos
    Admin removed

Sounds like buyers remorse to me
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion
    2011 VW Golf GTI DSG
    2007 VW Golf GTI
    2003 VW Citi Life

Quote Originally Posted by Ooba View Post
    Sounds like buyers remorse to me
    Nope that 200kw makes up for all the cup holders in the world 😁 it really is an monster offroad!
    Admin removed

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Marco For This Useful Post:

Just 3 small upgrades needed

indelb-tb16am.jpg (12.5 KB)

VW-Universal.png (269.1 KB)

images.jpeg.jpg (13.9 KB)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	indelb-tb16am.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	618178   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VW-Universal.png 
Views:	124 
Size:	269.1 KB 
ID:	618179   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	images.jpeg.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	618180  
    Admin removed

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Marco For This Useful Post:

Nope that 200kw makes up for all the cup holders in the world 😁 it really is an monster offroad!
    True.

The cup holders thing makes me laugh though. Drink out out a bottle and stick it in the bottle holders in the doors, each door has one. How many more cup holders do you want then the two in the center anyway? Those pop out jobbies in the Polo wouldn't last long offroad if you are bouncing around, 100% you will break then off.

There are two more cup holders in the back but I never sit there so not concerned.
    2011 VW Golf GTI DSG
    2007 VW Golf GTI
    2003 VW Citi Life

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ooba For This Useful Post:

Just 3 small upgrades needed

indelb-tb16am.jpg (12.5 KB)

VW-Universal.png (269.1 KB)

images.jpeg.jpg (13.9 KB)
    Agreed, the infotainment seems a little outdated/small screen compared to the new VAG stuff. Just remember this Amarok is at its end of life now. It had its face-lift in 2017, VW's only generally get one mid-life face-lift and that's it, they are not "refreshed annually" .

The new mixed breed Amarok/Ranger is due end of 2022, very keen to see what they come up with as it's all speculation at this stage.
    2011 VW Golf GTI DSG
    2007 VW Golf GTI
    2003 VW Citi Life

Yeah maybe I was a bit hars on the cup holders, a simple under seats fridge would sort all that out https://www.waveinn.com/nautical-fis...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Admin removed

Questions is will it come in a V6?

Quote Originally Posted by Ooba View Post
    Agreed, the infotainment seems a little outdated/small screen compared to the new VAG stuff. Just remember this Amarok is at its end of life now. It had its face-lift in 2017, VW's only generally get one mid-life face-lift and that's it, they are not "refreshed annually" .

The new mixed breed Amarok/Ranger is due end of 2022, very keen to see what they come up with as it's all speculation at this stage.
    Admin removed

I think the chances are pretty good since the Ranger will get a V6 diesel. There is also talk about an updated version of the current VW V6. VW had too much success with a V6 diesel to just let it go.

"CarAdvice understands there will be three diesel engines offered in Australia when the 2022 Ford Ranger arrives: the recently revised 2.0-litre single-turbo diesel four-cylinder paired to a six-speed auto (from the Transit), the 2.0-litre twin-turbo diesel four-cylinder matched to a 10-speed auto (currently available on XLT, Wildtrak and Raptor) and a 3.0-litre turbo diesel V6 (borrowed from the Ford F-150 in the US) for the next XLT, Wildtrak and Raptor."
    Questions is will it come in a V6?
    Last edited by Tom13; 2021/06/10 at 06:12 PM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

A Raptor with an V6 would make for quite a Bakkie! Probably the best or most expensive interior of all the bakkies. It was very Clos eon my list but unfortunately it's a showpony not a workhorse
    Admin removed

A Raptor with an V6 would make for quite a Bakkie! Probably the best or most expensive interior of all the bakkies. It was very Clos eon my list but unfortunately it's a showpony not a workhorse

This comment made me laugh . Getting back to the new Amaranger, sadly I think this will be an all Ford beast where I want it not to be a Ford, being engine and drivetrain. It is looking more and more like the VW involvement will be cosmetic only. So, enjoy your pure bred VW V6. It will be one of the last VW designed and built bakkies for some time to come.

Groetnis

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Beurvoort For This Useful Post:

Insulting Cruisers and Rangers within 16 posts.

The villagers will be along shortly.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan ‘n man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daar’s nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Regarding the handbrake, the Amarok is purely mechanical whereas the push button system on a Touareg is very different. Uses servomechanisms which are significantly more expensive and complicated, requiring air gap set ups etc. Be thankful of the simpler system you have. Regards gearboxes the Amarok is a zf and is the same as the latest gen Touareg ( I think). Previous Touareg all ran the Aisin boxes.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to AfricaOffroad For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by AfricaOffroad View Post
    ..... Previous Touareg all ran the Aisin boxes.
    AFAIK my gen. 1 R5 Touareg already had a ZF? Great gearbox.
    Tyrannosaurus R5 (sold, but still missing it) and a second hand British Tata and now a small German SUV with working indicators.

"I often wonder what it must be like to be so strong, infallible, articulate, self-content .... and wrong."
    - Pam Ayres

Should probably delete that, but at least I've owned 2 landcruiser just it's also just my review an opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    Insulting Cruisers and Rangers within 16 posts.

The villagers will be along shortly.
    Admin removed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast