Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Amarok V6 Long trip review

Thanks some good info! OK then I'm happy with the handbrake placement I agree all that electrical stuff wil not work on a Bakkie

Quote Originally Posted by AfricaOffroad View Post
    Regarding the handbrake, the Amarok is purely mechanical whereas the push button system on a Touareg is very different. Uses servomechanisms which are significantly more expensive and complicated, requiring air gap set ups etc. Be thankful of the simpler system you have. Regards gearboxes the Amarok is a zf and is the same as the latest gen Touareg ( I think). Previous Touareg all ran the Aisin boxes.
    Admin removed

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    AFAIK my gen. 1 R5 Touareg already had a ZF? Great gearbox.
    Nope. Aisen.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Should probably delete that, but at least I've owned 2 landcruiser just it's also just my review an opinion
    Why? It is true. I've said it many times. My 105 is a terrible car - It rides hard, drinks fuel, turns like a ship and is just generally not nice. But when the corrugations become a meter deep, it comes into its own - which is the reason I bought it
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

So it works exactly when you want it to and that's why you bought it

Same with the Amarok it's not perfect but it's perfect for what I use it for
    Admin removed

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    AFAIK my gen. 1 R5 Touareg already had a ZF? Great gearbox.
    Only the latest Touareg has a ZF, all the previous versions had Aisin
    Current:

2019 Kombi Trendline 2.0TDI DSG 103kW
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Auto
    2016 Metalian Maxi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GeckoCampers For This Useful Post:

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that about the interior space! One day I got a bee in the bonnet of my Touareg that told me I should trade it in for an Amarok and so I did, I got the 'Extreme' which is basically a High-Line Plus with electric seats and a 'sports bar' and 20" rims. The rims have gone, I had to spend another 50 grand-odd for 16" rims and soon the sports bar will be history when my RSI SmartCap arrives in a couple of weeks. That's over and above the Seikel Desert Suspension and a few other costly extras that I already had fitted. My first long trip with my bakkie was 4,600km to Namibia from Cape Town in April. Namibia is pretty much gravel roads all the way but the ride was excellent. Didn't do any dune driving other than some soft sand going to Sossusvlei but I must say this machine handled everything beautifully.

Have to agree that the interior is the biggest let down. My Touareg - even with electric seats - had two little drawers under the seats that flipped open. Small, but big enough to fit my sunglasses or other things you'd want to hide where no-one knows where to look. That little flip-down "sunglass compartment" in the roof? I have to take my sunglasses out their case to fit them in.
    And be careful, that thing can kill you - it almost killed me! I stopped at a garage in Namibia and left it open while I went inside. As I was coming out the shop and walking back to the car a hectic sandstorm came out of nowhere. I sprinted to the car and literally dived into my seat and at the same time gouged my head open on the corner of the sunglass compartment that I had left open and hanging down. It was a bloodbath and it was scary and I was picturing scenes of me being rushed to hospital in the middle of nowhere. Luckily it wasn't too bad and healed after a few days. But you have all been warned, don't ever leave that thing open!

The 'handbrake storage console' is awful. You can fit quite a bit of stuff but whenever you want to get anything out you literally have to empty everything else out because it always somehow ends up at the bottom.

To be fair the Touareg has a similar sized middle storage console but it also has a convenient flip-open compartment in the dashboard above the Infotainment system. At least the Amarok's Infotainment system is newer and better than Toureg's which was awful - I mean, really awful, it doesn't even have a mute button!

**end of rant**
    Last edited by raocos; 2021/06/14 at 10:31 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to raocos For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by raocos View Post
    Glad I'm not the only one who thinks that about the interior space! One day I got a bee in the bonnet of my Touareg that told me I should trade it in for an Amarok and so I did, I got the 'Extreme' which is basically a High-Line Plus with electric seats and a 'sports bar' and 20" rims. The rims have gone, I had to spend another 50 grand-odd for 16" rims and soon the sports bar will be history when my RSI SmartCap arrives in a couple of weeks. That's over and above the Seikel Desert Suspension and a few other costly extras that I already had fitted. My first long trip with my bakkie was 4,600km to Namibia from Cape Town in April. Namibia is pretty much gravel roads all the way but the ride was excellent. Didn't do any dune driving other than some soft sand going to Sossusvlei but I must say this machine handled everything beautifully.

Have to agree that the interior is the biggest let down. My Touareg - even with electric seats - had two little drawers under the seats that flipped open. Small, but big enough to fit my sunglasses or other things you'd want to hide where no-one knows where to look. That little flip-down "sunglass compartment" in the roof? I have to take my sunglasses out their case to fit them in.
    And be careful, that thing can kill you - it almost killed me! I stopped at a garage in Namibia and left it open while I went inside. As I was coming out the shop and walking back to the car a hectic sandstorm came out of nowhere. I sprinted to the car and literally dived into my seat and at the same time gouged my head open on the corner of the sunglass compartment that I had left open and hanging down. It was a bloodbath and it was scary and I was picturing scenes of me being rushed to hospital in the middle of nowhere. Luckily it wasn't too bad and healed after a few days. But you have all been warned, don't ever leave that thing open!

The 'handbrake storage console' is awful. You can fit quite a bit of stuff but whenever you want to get anything out you literally have to empty everything else out because it always somehow ends up at the bottom.

To be fair the Touareg has a similar sized middle storage console but it also has a convenient flip-open compartment in the dashboard above the Infotainment system. At least the Amarok's Infotainment system is newer and better than Toureg's which was awful - I mean, really awful, it doesn't even have a mute button!

**end of rant**
    The highline has storage compartments under the seats. I guess you lose those with the heated seat functions of the plus and extreme.

So 16"s fit over the brakes ?
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion
    2011 VW Golf GTI DSG
    2007 VW Golf GTI
    2003 VW Citi Life

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ooba For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ooba View Post
    The highline has storage compartments under the seats. I guess you lose those with the heated seat functions of the plus and extreme.

So 16"s fit over the brakes ?

My highline plus also has compartments under the seats - must be the electric seats - I have heated as well
    2021 Suzuki Jimny GLX AT (Kinetic Yellow)
    2017 Amarok V6 HiLine+
    2014 Amarok 4Motion Auto (Sold)
    1983 Suzuki SJ410V
    2019 Nissan X-Trail 2.5 Tekna CVT
    1985 Suzuki SJ413
    Fiat 500 1400MTA (Tweety)

Problem is you can't really do anything about the center console I mean is it even possible to mode the handbrake forward and replace the centre console with a larger unit maybe something with a fridge or something like this?

https://the4x4store.co.za/products/v...ole-fridge-cf8
    Admin removed

The only option is to add storage under the front and rear seats i found a fridge that might be able to fit under the front seats
    Admin removed

Ai, is dit al waaroor julle kan moan?
    Wees dankbaar jy ry nie ń.......

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

Come on what would a Bakkie be without a few problems that you have to modify and customize to your liking 😁
    Admin removed

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Marco For This Useful Post:

I often read road tests of 4X4's (the March 2021 'shootout' between the Amarok, Ranger and Hilux is a case in point) and wonder whether the testers/authors have any experience owning or using a 4X4. A considerable amount of space in the write up is given to things like the sound system, the size of a screen, whether it has touchy things, manufacturer navigation systems (all junk off the tar), lane changing and I could go on and on. Brakes, towing, tyres, ground clearance, not so much. So when I read this post (respect though) I went to sit in my 76 Cruiser and fell in love with her all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by rob wilson View Post
    I often read road tests of 4X4's (the March 2021 'shootout' between the Amarok, Ranger and Hilux is a case in point) and wonder whether the testers/authors have any experience owning or using a 4X4. A considerable amount of space in the write up is given to things like the sound system, the size of a screen, whether it has touchy things, manufacturer navigation systems (all junk off the tar), lane changing and I could go on and on. Brakes, towing, tyres, ground clearance, not so much. So when I read this post (respect though) I went to sit in my 76 Cruiser and fell in love with her all over again.
    I kind of agree with you, however one very quickly gets used to some creature comforts. My first car that I bought with my own money was a Ser3S landy. The doors flapped in the breeze, it started mostly! It was about as analog as you could possibly get.

Then I bought a disco1 which did not cover me in water every time I drove through some, or it rained. I got used to that quite quickly.

The Disco 2 which followed had climate control. Not a biggie, but not having to fiddle around with the heat/cool setting also became something easy to get used to.

My amarok has cruise control. Again not really necessary, but quite nice on a long trip.

So I agree, none of these things are essential, but they do make for a more relaxed and comfortable driving experience. It can go overboard for sure, but the automakers are not supplying things that customers don't want to buy.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

All true, my daily drive is an 2020 BMW X5 then I also drive the wife's 2020 BMW 135i so I'm kinda spoilt with features. I drove the Amarok again today and man man that thing pulls! Living in Pretoria you are bound to stop at a robot with a hilux next to you and my day was today a nice white Hilux RS..... Left it in the dust no comparison in power you keep your coolerbox ill keep my 200kw on overboost!
    Admin removed

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Marco For This Useful Post:

Just 3 small upgrades needed

indelb-tb16am.jpg (12.5 KB)

VW-Universal.png (269.1 KB)

images.jpeg.jpg (13.9 KB)
    Anyone know where I could enquire about putting some more comfy electric seats into an Amarok? The only reason I am considering an Extreme over the Highline is for the more comfortable seats.

I bought the Hiline over the Extreme because I didn't want the 20 inch wheels and the Extreme lid but, yes I was unaware the seats differ maybe ask the sales guy can they fit the Extreme seat in the Hiline

I'm looking Audi Q7 or VW Touareg seats think you need to stick with same manufacturer part as the seats module plugs differs. Nothing that can't be changed but you want to cut as less cables as possible.

Then again when I saw how many cables they cut in the main harness to fit the 2 tracking units it doesn't make sense why vw wil cansel your warranty for fitting aftermarket seats and navigation systems
    Admin removed

I bought the Hiline over the Extreme because I didn't want the 20 inch wheels and the Extreme lid but, yes I was unaware the seats differ maybe ask the sales guy can they fit the Extreme seat in the Hiline

I'm looking Audi Q7 or VW Touareg seats think you need to stick with same manufacturer part as the seats module plugs differs. Nothing that can't be changed but you want to cut as less cables as possible.

Then again when I saw how many cables they cut in the main harness to fit the 2 tracking units it doesn't make sense why vw wil cansel your warranty for fitting aftermarket seats and navigation systems
    Thanks. I checked with VW and they say you can't fit the Extreme's seats to the Highline.

Can't or they won't?

I know manufacturers are hesitant to fit higher class vehicles parts to lower specked vehicles. I'm not even sure if vw will fit the 20 inch rims to the Hiline?
    Admin removed

Can't or they won't?

I know manufacturers are hesitant to fit higher class vehicles parts to lower specked vehicles. I'm not even sure if vw will fit the 20 inch rims to the Hiline?
    I have asked 2 dealers and they both responded with the same answer. I am also looking at Custom installs but not finding anyone yet who is capable/willinng

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2