Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Buying new batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Life View Post
    basically yes, as well as the alarm system/beams, electric fence, cameras, small led floodlight or two( probably 20 - 40 watts total)
    Correct me if I'm wrong but some of these devices have their own batteries..
    It's way more efficient to run these with their own batteries (or bigger ones) than to power them from an inverter.

basically yes, as well as the alarm system/beams, electric fence, cameras, small led floodlight or two( probably 20 - 40 watts total).

i will have a better idea once i have measured with the kill a watt on some of the devices.

you don't mention how long you run off the one battery or what your draw is over the time period. did you calculate it or do you wait until the inverter shuts off each time?
    The alarm system and beams should have their own little 12v battery, usually like a 7amp? My elec fence has it's own 12v, and so does the alarm. They are designed that way to keep the alarm on even through power cuts.

I don't know what the total draw is, however as mentioned, I once forgot to plug the charger back in after moving some stuff.

My tv, wifi, soundbar, 2 lights, spare plug upstairs with bottle warmer, and neglected to mention I have 2 led spots outside (20w and 5w) ran for close to 24 hours before the inverter alarm went at 11.5v

I never wait for the inverter alarm as my charger is always on and has enough capacity to recharge the agm in between loadshedding schedules.

I really think for your needs 4 x 100ah will be overkill.

Fluffy once said that it is important to make sure you have the correct charger to recharge in adequate time. So yes you can have 4 batteries, but if you suck them dry during loadshedding, will your charger have enough time to charge them back up, say within 3 to 6 hours if we have a stage 4 shedding.

Hence i bought a 200ah agm, so my requirements wont suck it dry, and the victron will top it up in no time.

For my requirements, a 105ah lead acid would have been working the charger overtime in a stage 4 scenario. I hope my rambling makes sense.
    Last edited by Morne - Skip; 2021/06/15 at 09:13 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    It's way more efficient to run these with their own batteries (or bigger ones) than to power them from an inverter.
    Hi Richard

My dad bought a new 24V inverter (he used to run a 12V system) but they have more frequent power cuts where he stays and I donated my batts so now I am in the market for new batteries.

I thought it would be simpler to have bigger batteries that would assist the backup batteries of those other smaller devices not to be drained too much. So one central system upgrade with spare capacity since I have to buy new batteries... Compared to upgrading the other smaller systems batteries that are still working as well.

Could the losses be that significant though? I'm not sure as i haven't tried to compare the costs of doing it separately as it just seems like a lot of extra effort or maybe I'm just lazy

*and i already have a critical circuit split out from my main db and the these devices are powered from the inverter in any case during loadshedding.
    Last edited by Life; 2021/06/19 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    The alarm system and beams should have their own little 12v battery, usually like a 7amp? My elec fence has it's own 12v, and so does the alarm. They are designed that way to keep the alarm on even through power cuts.

I really think for your needs 4 x 100ah will be overkill.

Fluffy once said that it is important to make sure you have the correct charger to recharge in adequate time. So yes you can have 4 batteries, but if you suck them dry during loadshedding, will your charger have enough time to charge them back up, say within 3 to 6 hours if we have a stage 4 shedding.

Hence i bought a 200ah agm, so my requirements wont suck it dry, and the victron will top it up in no time.

For my requirements, a 105ah lead acid would have been working the charger overtime in a stage 4 scenario. I hope my rambling makes sense.
    Thanks Morne

Yes you are making sense and I appreciate the input. Sometimes it is good to just have a sounding board to bounce these ideas off before jumping in and doing what one thinks is The Answer as there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum.

I got my Victron 24V, 16A charger yesterday so I think it should do just fine on the batteries. Power cuts have been few and far between where I live as I have managed to fully recharge my previous batteries every time with the NL 5Amp charger in between.

Now with the 24V charger it will just eliminate the hazard of connecting something the wrong way when going from 12v to 24v for the inverter. The Victron charger also reduces the float charge on the batteries when they have not been used in a few days... a week I think so this should keep the lead acids happy and increase their lifespan I think. With the bigger bank it would also be more of a safety factor as I see it is only true deep cycles (whatever that means) that can be deeply discharged (i read expensive) so most likely it would be more of a high cycle battery since I don't want a battery that struggles to charge up again for use next time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Life For This Useful Post:

For my requirements, a 105ah lead acid would have been working the charger overtime in a stage 4 scenario. .
    If the Victron can top up the 200Ah between LS events why would it not be able to charge the 100Ah in the same time?

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    If the Victron can top up the 200Ah between LS events why would it not be able to charge the 100Ah in the same time?
    I know it sounds off, as the draw remains the same, but I did a test with a 105, and it's almost as if the agm handles the load better.

After a session of loadshedding the victron just has to top up the agm before it returns to float, but with the 105 it was on bulk charge longer. Just my own experience.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    Hi Richard

Which of the smaller UPS brands would you recommend ? The power supply of my camera system does not have a backup battery so thinking of adding a ups which would also prolong the life of the hard drive I believe. Its an 8 camera system.

The energizer for the electric fence has a backup battery option as well although none installed currently so I could then also add slightly larger one than the recommended 7Ah.

This would really simplify things.

I know it sounds off, as the draw remains the same, but I did a test with a 105, and it's almost as if the agm handles the load better.

After a session of loadshedding the victron just has to top up the agm before it returns to float, but with the 105 it was on bulk charge longer. Just my own experience.
    Thanks for the info. So with both being lead acid the 100Ah was not a AGM? If so then its purely because the AGM does charge faster even if 2 times the capacity. I missed that point.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Thanks for the info. So with both being lead acid the 100Ah was not a AGM? If so then its purely because the AGM does charge faster even if 2 times the capacity. I missed that point.
    Oh okay, so agm charges faster? Yes the 105 was lead acid

Oh okay, so agm charges faster? Yes the 105 was lead acid
    The clever people say due to lower resistance up to about 4 times faster. I have not tested the same size to compare.
    I know BMW use AGM in their bikes for this reason.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2021/06/22 at 07:36 PM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Hi Richard

Which of the smaller UPS brands would you recommend ? The power supply of my camera system does not have a backup battery so thinking of adding a ups which would also prolong the life of the hard drive I believe. Its an 8 camera system.

The energizer for the electric fence has a backup battery option as well although none installed currently so I could then also add slightly larger one than the recommended 7Ah.

This would really simplify things.
    I'm not too clued up on inverters. Avoid the cheap ones running on a single 7Ah battery!
    My point about devices that have batteries (or are powered with a power adapter) is that they are DC devices.
    And it's a lot more efficient to power these devices with a battery during power outages than to power them from an inverter

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Mackay For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2