Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Buying new batteries

Could some of the more experienced members regarding batteries and loadshedding solutions please give me some tips or advice on what I need to look for when buying new batteries? I am in the market for new batteries as I will be upgrading my current 2 x 100Ah batteries to either 2 x 200Ah or 4 x 100Ah batteries. purely a loadshedding solution and will not be cycled everyday. I am based in Rustenburg.

for example should one ask for a load test to be done on the battery/ies as proof of the condition ?

Any input will be appreciated. current setup below which has served me more than 3 years now.

Name:  Batts.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  839.7 KB
    Last edited by Life; 2021/06/10 at 08:46 AM. Reason: *pic included

Default Re: Buying new batteries

Just get Lithium batteries .......

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Life View Post
    Could some of the more experienced members regarding batteries and loadshedding solutions please give me some tips or advice on what I need to look for when buying new batteries? I am in the market for new batteries as I will be upgrading my current 2 x 100Ah batteries to either 2 x 200Ah or 4 x 100Ah batteries. purely a loadshedding solution and will not be cycled everyday. I am based in Rustenburg.

for example should one ask for a load test to be done on the battery/ies as proof of the condition ?

Any input will be appreciated.
    Not easy to get a seller to do such a load test. They say you have a warranty if there is a problem. I have found Battery Centre to readily change a battery that is not to spec.
    A load test at C/20 takes 20hours if done with a real load.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2021/06/10 at 08:43 AM.

*sorry for the Extra large pic. not sure how to make it smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post
    Just get Lithium batteries .......
    Thanks Tiaan,

At the moment it does not seem worth it to me for what my needs are as i will need at least 2 batteries. the 100Ah( 24V) setup has served me perfectly well these years I just want to add more capacity as I am giving these ones to my dad as he bought a new inverter recently.

from what i have learned on this forum so far lead acid seems to be what will suite my needs better as i do not cycle them daily, and apparently lithium batteries do not like stand idle fully charged for extended periods. i stand to be corrected though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Life For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Not easy to get a seller to do such a load test. They say you have a warranty if there is a problem. I have found Battery Centre to readily change a battery that is not to spec.
    A load test at C/20 takes 20hours if done with a real load.
    what i actually mean is the load test which companies like Bosch perform when you suspect your car battery is faulty. they have an electronic tester and it gives you a set of results on of which is the CCA reading which you can then compare to what is printed on the battery. this was just a suggestion though as it was from a personal experience..

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Life For This Useful Post:

1X 108 LiFePO4 battery will be a good solution such as BlueNova which can easily be drawn down to 20% capacity. There are many other benefits that are covered in other posts on this forum. There is also a post dealing with a current special going.

Quote Originally Posted by TRON View Post
    1X 108 LiFePO4 battery will be a good solution such as BlueNova which can easily be drawn down to 20% capacity. There are many other benefits that are covered in other posts on this forum. There is also a post dealing with a current special going.
    I believe these are 12V batteries and i have a 24V inverter.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Life For This Useful Post:

purely a loadshedding solution and will not be cycled everyday
    Optimistic much? I reckon if it is a loadshedding solution it will be cycle multiple times a day
    Triton 3.2 Auto 4x4
    Qashqai 2.0 2+

@Life, my 2 x 102Ah Royals just made 5 years. Therefore my loadshedding buster is dead for a year and a half. I will be in the position next week to replace the batteries. The 2 x 102Ah just made between 2,5 and three hours. Therefore I want a higher capacity. I got quotes last year and according to them, its cheaper to replace with 2 x 200Ah rather than 4 x 102Ah. I decided to rather go for deep cycles this time around with a 10 year life cycle. I compared the amount of cycles it can be cycled through as well. The 200Ah are a lot heavier (56kg) but I will manage that.
    I will get new quotes now to verify but I don't have more than R10 000 for batteries and a battery cabinet.
    Last edited by Spiceman; 2021/06/10 at 09:56 AM.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:

I see they say its only compatable with Kodak OG inverters.
    I have a pure sinewave 1200W Soho.

The battery specs looks very good.

Thanks Tiaan,

At the moment it does not seem worth it to me for what my needs are as i will need at least 2 batteries. the 100Ah( 24V) setup has served me perfectly well these years I just want to add more capacity as I am giving these ones to my dad as he bought a new inverter recently.

from what i have learned on this forum so far lead acid seems to be what will suite my needs better as i do not cycle them daily, and apparently lithium batteries do not like stand idle fully charged for extended periods. i stand to be corrected though.
    am I missing something? From the picture it looks like you are running a 12 volt system? Or do you wire them 12 volt for charging and then 24 volt when you connect to the inverter?

Quote Originally Posted by Die Uwe View Post
    Optimistic much? I reckon if it is a loadshedding solution it will be cycle multiple times a day
    Not true in Rustenburg Die Uwe, at least from my experience. we have had more water outages than power. i have not used my batteries in at least 2 months if not longer. the times i did have to use them was when the munic cut through some cables while digging to fix burst water pipes.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Life For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    @Life, my 2 x 102Ah Royals just made 5 years. Therefore my loadshedding buster is dead for a year and a half. I will be in the position next week to replace the batteries. The 2 x 102Ah just made between 2,5 and three hours. Therefore I want a higher capacity. I got quotes last year and according to them, its cheaper to replace with 2 x 200Ah rather than 4 x 102Ah. I decided to rather go for deep cycles this time around with a 10 year life cycle. I compared the amount of cycles it can be cycled through as well. The 200Ah are a lot heavier (56kg) but I will manage that.
    I will get new quotes now to verify but I don't have more than R10 000 for batteries and a battery cabinet.
    I bought a Kill-a-Watt meter to get an idea of the different consumption of my appliances which helped a lot. for example my tv has an economy or power saving setting- but it is not named as such. it is called night mode on the television. this changes the consumption from 180W to 100W which means i can almost run the tv for twice as long from a given power source for the same consumption. almost all of my lights are led's with the exception of a few cfl's still. my base load during ls is pretty low or i try to keep an eye on it as i have the kill-a-watt plugged into the cheap (pure sine) chinese inverter that i am using. my aim is always to keep the load at 1/4 or less of the rated 2 000W. a few loads have been added recently which i must still calculate such as security system etc., but this will be done soon as i have just had a changeover switch installed and split out a critical circuit to power during ls. this was done to simplify things so i don't accidentally run an airconditioner from the batteries.

please do share once you have a price on the 200Ah batteries. we have a Deltec distributor locally so i will try and get a price from them as well tomorrow.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Life For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scheepers85 View Post
    am I missing something? From the picture it looks like you are running a 12 volt system? Or do you wire them 12 volt for charging and then 24 volt when you connect to the inverter?
    Good eye for detail Scheepers85
    yes, correct i had the national luna 12V charger before i got my ls solution and decided to use what i have and not waste money on a 24V charger as it it is relatively simple to change the configuration to 12V and charge the batteries. i even showed my wife how to operate the system for when i was not around. then one day she made some sparks while changing from 12V to 24V and has been scared to do it since. I am now in the process of getting a 24V charger so it can be a plug and play solution and safer for everyone to use.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Life For This Useful Post:

Any input will be appreciated. current setup below which has served me more than 3 years now.

Name:  Batts.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  839.7 KB
    What do you intend running from the system?

If it's only a couple of lights and entertainment (tv, wifi, soundbar etc) - then purchasing 4 x 105 is overkill.

I have 1 x 200ah AGM, t runs the office (laptop, printer), front of house (tv, wifi, soundbar, 1 x light), emergency plug upstairs (which if need be runs a tv and 2 lights) - I once forgot to plug the charge in (victron blue smart 12/20) and it ran it all for close to 24 hours before my inverter told me we're now on 11.5 V

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

I bought a Kill-a-Watt meter to get an idea of the different consumption of my appliances which helped a lot. for example my tv has an economy or power saving setting- but it is not named as such. it is called night mode on the television. this changes the consumption from 180W to 100W which means i can almost run the tv for twice as long from a given power source for the same consumption. almost all of my lights are led's with the exception of a few cfl's still. my base load during ls is pretty low or i try to keep an eye on it as i have the kill-a-watt plugged into the cheap (pure sine) chinese inverter that i am using. my aim is always to keep the load at 1/4 or less of the rated 2 000W. a few loads have been added recently which i must still calculate such as security system etc., but this will be done soon as i have just had a changeover switch installed and split out a critical circuit to power during ls. this was done to simplify things so i don't accidentally run an airconditioner from the batteries.

please do share once you have a price on the 200Ah batteries. we have a Deltec distributor locally so i will try and get a price from them as well tomorrow.
    We went by PSS in the morning but its closed until 21 June 21 due to Covid.

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    What do you intend running from the system?

If it's only a couple of lights and entertainment (tv, wifi, soundbar etc) - then purchasing 4 x 105 is overkill.

I have 1 x 200ah AGM, t runs the office (laptop, printer), front of house (tv, wifi, soundbar, 1 x light), emergency plug upstairs (which if need be runs a tv and 2 lights) - I once forgot to plug the charge in (victron blue smart 12/20) and it ran it all for close to 24 hours before my inverter told me we're now on 11.5 V
    basically yes, as well as the alarm system/beams, electric fence, cameras, small led floodlight or two( probably 20 - 40 watts total).

i will have a better idea once i have measured with the kill a watt on some of the devices.

you don't mention how long you run off the one battery or what your draw is over the time period. did you calculate it or do you wait until the inverter shuts off each time?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast