Default Conqueror Comfort Questions and tips

Ive searched the threads and there is not much on this trailer which I am surprised by because of how well i think it is designed, and I have had a few to compare it to. So I thought lets start a thread where people can share their ideas and experiences good or bad.

I am in the process of purchasing an old Conqueror Comfort for those long stay trips, from Rudu at Outdoor Campers. Unbelievable service BTW, so support these guys. He is also a long ttime supporter of this forum. They also do a range of accessories and victron stuff for power management.

One thing I think is a bit archaic on th trailer is the power system, so i would be keen to upgrade that in the future but have no real plans yet as this trailer will more than likely be used mostly in places where there is 220v power available. (my 130 is kitted for the more overland type trips)

I also have some basic questions like, is it possible to fold up the L shaped awning with the tent or is it better to remove it? I see it is basically two pieces. can they be used indiviually?

Any other tips that you have?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by BruceT; 2021/06/10 at 09:11 AM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

rdp

Default Re: Conqueror Comfort Questions and tips

I bought one last year

Nice no nonsense, tough, comfortable trailer.
    Best bed in the business
    And it has a bar

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

haha i heard the bar is the deciding factor for lots of people.

Have you upgraded your mattress and did you get sheets etc from Conqueror or ?
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Has anyone had a cover made? (To cover the entire trailer when not in use and parked)

If yes please let me know where you had it made or ordered from.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

It's a fantastic product - we had ours for 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceT View Post
    One thing I think is a bit archaic on th trailer is the power system, so i would be keen to upgrade that in the future but have no real plans yet as this trailer will more than likely be used mostly in places where there is 220v power available
    Probably best to rip out the entire charging system and put in something more modern like Victron.

I also have some basic questions like, is it possible to fold up the L shaped awning with the tent or is it better to remove it? I see it is basically two pieces. can they be used indiviually?
    The L shape can easily be folded up together with the tent. I never did really work out why it was made up of two sections, but there is no value in using one or the other, they need to be used together. If it's a very old model with only 3 poles down the LHS of the L shape, you might want to add 2 additional poles in between. You also need to buy a small hand clamp from a hardware store to clamp on the end of the L shape velco above the fridge, otherwise it pulls away from the tent in moderate wind.

Romeo from https://www.alloutdoors.co.za/ do great quality covers.
    Last edited by AndrewC; 2021/06/10 at 03:29 PM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Gen4 LWB Exceed
    Afrispoor Cheetah

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AndrewC For This Useful Post:

haha i heard the bar is the deciding factor for lots of people.

Have you upgraded your mattress and did you get sheets etc from Conqueror or ?
    yes we got the thicker one and all our bedding was bought from them.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Thank you AndrewC.

Will be taking it to Mupungubwe in 2 weeks time so will play with it then. It is an old trailer, cant remember the year think its a 2011 but its had some upgrades from what I understand. Like a new gas stove IIRC.
    It also has the old big geyser in it so will look at changing that also to the modern more efficient ones.

Out of interest, where do you keep your spices? The cup holder and glass holder on the rear door seems like a bit of a waste to me. (but I need to play with it to see what fits. We dont really enjoy the plastic type camping cups)

Hoping to pick it up tomorrow. Then I can play the whole weekend.
    Last edited by BruceT; 2021/06/10 at 04:23 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

I also dont really understand the point of this clothing cupboard? I may put shelves in it. (sorry picture is a bit fuzzy)
    Last edited by BruceT; 2021/06/10 at 04:26 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

I also dont really understand the point of this clothing cupboard? I may put shelves in it. (sorry picture is a bit fuzzy)
    We do a lot of lengthy off road 4x4 camping so store all our linen and pillows in it. Keeps it dust free.

A great trailer with a bar and the kitchen is a winner.

Thinking of removing the gas geyser for more storage space. If needed we heat our water for showering on the fire.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Doc Holiday For This Useful Post:

Did Hedgehog mention it has a bar?
    Errol Cornelius

Citroen C5
    Touareg V8
    Audi A6 3.0 Avant

16. The Following User Says Thank You to zx14 For This Useful Post:

Haha I think he may have said something about a bar

thanks Doc. Thatís a great idea.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

Picked up the trailer today. First trip is in 3 weeks so need to get it ready.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2FD875C0-7A3C-4D1C-A3F2-AA477065CA47.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	618342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9184BA42-4CEF-4EE7-A4AE-F519DB7E3260.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	618343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B7DDE2B2-44B1-452B-BA13-C745E4ACEFFA.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	63.1 KB 
ID:	618344  
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Now that looks the biz!!!!! You are doing what I am dreaming off (less Land rover of course )
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

This past weekend I got to play with it a bit. Although it was clean, it is still an old trailer so I washed it inside and out again by using some PH balanced snow foam and conditioners . It was also polished, believe it or not. I did this because there were quite a few marks on the powder coating that I wanted to try and remove. many of which I managed to remove.

I also did things like fix lights that had unplugged themselves, mounted them in different positions, and generally went through everything. I also cleaned out the water tanks with Miltons and went through the wiring system. I also purchased a new jocky wheel and some other bits and pieces that needed replacing. Things like a camp cover for all the pegs and a hammer was also bought and the 90ltr NL fridge was also fitted.

(Can anyone tell me if there is meant to be a lock or something on the fridge slide as nothing seems to lock it in place.)

Tomorrow I will be playing some more and opening up the tent and checking it. My neighbours should be impressed . I may also clean it if it is needed but my biggest concern is how comfortable the bed is as it only has the standard mattress. To upgrade it at Conqueror it will cost R3300! Crazy if you ask me so I will look at other options if neccessary. Any suggestions?

I also found I have a L shaped awning and something labeled "fly sheet" whatever that is - unfortunately I didnt have time to open up the thing labelled fly sheet so dont know what it is. The fly sheet is too small to be the army type tent that goes over the entire tent. Anyone know what this is for?

On the list of things to do:
    - I will be replacing the geyser for a more modern smaller gas geyser
    - The entire electrical system will be redone with more modern items and I will more than likely add lithium batterys
    - I need to lengthen the trailer plug wiring by about 10cms as it is a little tight when plugged into the landy.
    - I have ordered 20 keyed alike pad locks from a company in CT called Saunderson Security CC
    - There are one or two panels that have been bent that I need to find out if replacements can be ordered from Conqueror.
    - I would like to fit a tap in the front somewhere for showering
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wash day.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	618768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wash day1.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	113.8 KB 
ID:	618769  
    Last edited by BruceT; 2021/06/15 at 09:40 AM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Has anyone had a cover made? (To cover the entire trailer when not in use and parked)

If yes please let me know where you had it made or ordered from.
    All outdoors, Centurion side.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Muggins For This Useful Post:

Thank you.

I actually found that I had one packed in the trailer. Was lucky to have the L shaped awning, walls and a cover
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

I leave my L-shape on the tent. I think by leaving it on, the velcro seems to hold better over time. As mentioned, use those hand clamps for the two corners, they do tent to come loose in wind. I also do that. I also have the 2011 model.

I added a Victron 15A charger and just switched off the current charger at the mains.

I also added a 40A NL dc-dc charger with solar input.

We just store our spices in the one drawer.

I added alko stabilizing legs at the back , will add some in the front also maybe.

I had a draft cover made for the inside of the tent, so I can leave the flap over the clothes drawer open while camping.

I also replaced the top tent cover with one that is 70mm higher, just to add the add-a-room, the L-shape, a small table, a small steppie and the ground sheets to the top as well.

My fridge drawer also has nothing keeping it in place. So setting up level is important, or it will keep on sliding out. I also replaced the slides with 180kg slides. The standard slides broke when sliding the fully loaded fridge out when standing on a decline in my driveway.

Enjoy the trailer.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Bassfisher For This Useful Post:

Thank you Bassfisher.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

we are back from our first trip with the trailer.

Overall I am very happy with it but the L shape awning is a PITA, hangs too low and will definitly be a problem in the rain. I ended up joining 3 poles together for the centre support in order to make it less of an irritation.

It tows very well and had no problems with it swaying with the tanks full, not full and empty.

Some mods I am planning:
    - Stabaliser legs on the rear, only because I dont trust the standard legs or the clamps/bolts that hold them in place
    - The wolf pack drawers will be replaced with a second drawer. The wolf packs are a silly irritating idea in my opinion.
    - Taps added to the front nose cone
    - The lighting is pathetic. Not sure if it is standard but to have the lights either on the roof or back wall of the trailer either blinds you or doesnt add any light where its needed. So I plan on adding LED's to the tent, under the bed base somehow and above the kitchen/fridge area.
    - I will be replacing the pump as the current one is so loud. Not sure if its a bad pump as it works fine, or posibly just an old design
    - I will be adding a better "power" system which will include lithium and MPPT regulators. havent desided if an inverter is needed yet

I already added a mattress topper to the bed. Very very comfortable - https://bedworld.co.za/product/cm-ki...opper-overlay/

I do have two thinner mattresses that came with the trailer that I am not using if anyone is interested in them. They are about 2cms thick and looks exactly like the standard mattress, just thinner.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma