Thread: Outlander

Default Outlander

Having decided to go to a 1 car family [only two of us now] I want to trade in the Ranger and swambo`s Honda for something in between. I like the look and capabilities of the Outlander but find no mention of this model. Can anyone give me an insight to its performance and glitches if any.
    2007 Ranger Limited 4x4 + extra`s
    Rani`s 2015 Honda HRV
    " So many trails, so little time "

Default Re: Outlander

Which year model you looking at getting..i owned a 2017 so can offer some advise

I have the 1st gen Outlander 2.4 GLS AWD which I bought last year with 90K on the clock . It is a solidly built car and the build quality is very good with simple dash lay out. Likes : huge packing space when both seats folded down , you can put on a roof rack on the rails and it doesn`t damage the bodywork , 2 sunroofs , original Becker radio is good quality , plenty power , Dislikes , seats are a bit hard ( sorted with sheepskin covers) engine a bit noisy in the upper rev range when overtaking , spares are usually agent only ( exept usual oils and filters ) . The fuel consumption in town anything from 7 to 8 km/l and open road 9Km/l

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Rodrigues For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Which year model you looking at getting..i owned a 2017 so can offer some advise
    Thanks, looking for a 2020 model or there abouts
    2007 Ranger Limited 4x4 + extra`s
    Rani`s 2015 Honda HRV
    " So many trails, so little time "

The 2020 might be the new look one which only does not have the rockford sound system but has a few nicer finishes inside compared to mine
    The CVT is really not bad at all,even in town its very effortless.
    On the open road the car has enough power to pass etc and even when I drove through EC mountain passes at 130 on cruise control the car never lost power and kept speed easily..Engine noise not been an issue on the newer ones.
    The seats and seating is really comfy
    Packing space is very decent and if you only 2 people and fold second row flat its huge
    Fuel consumption is what is expeced of a NA petrol...In town you can get 10 if you drive light footed..My wife got 7.9-8.9km/l
    on open road you easily get 10-11km/l
    Its a great car for gravel roads but it does lack ground clearance if you going to do a bit more rough stuff.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

We love our Outlander. Ground clearance is crap if you want to do rough terrain, but that's about the only issue we have had. Excellent in soft sand, floats over the top. Traction on gravel in 4WD is excellent, diff lock gets through messy stuff with ease.
    The only minor glitch we have had in several years of owning ours (2012 model) is that the electric seat slider on the driver's side packed up, expensive fix at over R2,000 to replace. Otherwise no issues. Friends have one that is now on 400,000km and not a single major issue, and they do a lot of long distance, heavily loaded family trips.
    We easily fit all our gear in for extended camping trips, boot space with the rear seats folded flat is massive. Big plus on the older models is that it has a tailgate and there are no jump seats in the boot area, so bigger packing space and with the tailgate down, easy access for heavy stuff, and the tailgate doubles as a picnic table and seat for changing in and out of wetsuits etc.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2021/06/10 at 11:14 AM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post: