Default Chevrolet Parts / Spares

Good Day Guys...
    I am considering purchasing a Chevrolet Captiva , either 2.4 Petrol OR 2.2 Diesel
    SWAMBO's dad owns one....the MK1 / 1st Generation 2.4 LT
    I've had the pleasure of driving the vehicle for a few days, and really like the experience...I also had an experience driving the newer model - 2014 even better experience
    Vehicle will be used for daily driving as well as Caravan towing.

I have a concern though...
    With GM that moved out of the country a few years back, they advised that they will still support SA with regards to parts / spares , etc
    I think that period is now getting closer to the end.
    Will there still be parts available for the next say....10 years?
    Albertonian

Default Re: Chevrolet Parts / Spares

Think it has also got to do with number of cars in the SA market.

Certainly for servicing, parts are getting easier and easier (I have a TB 2.8 diesel).

But where can be a bit unstuck is if you have a prang. I had a fender bender which needed rear bumper replaced. not a problem, but panelbeater is waiting an extra 2-3 weeks for a tierod that was bent. so more of an inconvenience - having said that, this happens on many other brands as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuweling View Post
    Good Day Guys...
    I am considering purchasing a Chevrolet Captiva , either 2.4 Petrol OR 2.2 Diesel
    SWAMBO's dad owns one....the MK1 / 1st Generation 2.4 LT
    I've had the pleasure of driving the vehicle for a few days, and really like the experience...I also had an experience driving the newer model - 2014 even better experience
    Vehicle will be used for daily driving as well as Caravan towing.

I have a concern though...
    With GM that moved out of the country a few years back, they advised that they will still support SA with regards to parts / spares , etc
    I think that period is now getting closer to the end.
    Will there still be parts available for the next say....10 years?
    I had a Captiva leave my shop yesterday and a Trailblazer a week before.

Both had front smashes and parts were not that big of a problem. We certainly have more issues with other brands a the moment.

That said, the 2.4 in the Captiva is painfully slow, I cannot imagine that it will be a good towing vehicle.
    Current: 2012 Volvo V40 D3 Elite Geartronic

SWAMBO: 2016 Volvo XC60 D4 Inscription Geartronic

I used to have the 2011 2.4LT and it was a super, quiet, comfy car and an awesome cruiser, but without a tow bar.... I would imagine the petrol would be a slow thirsty tow vehicle.
    I know the dealers say the rear shocks cost a small fortune, but ours was sold before the shocks went.
    Average fuel consumption for mixed driving was 12lt per 100km.

I am also considering purchasing a Chevrolet but a 2012, 2.8 automatic Trailblazer.

The question is: what parts will become a problem? And will it mean that the parts will become significantly more expensive? I guess the most important parts are:
    1. Turbo
    2. CVs
    3. Gear box
    4. Petrol and water pump
    5. Timing belt
    6. Diesel injectors
    7. Starter
    8. Radiator
    9. Etc

If you have a breakdown in say Colesberg (far from home), will I regret owning a Chevrolet?
    Or maybe I should ask, what kind of breakdown far from home will make me regret my decision to buy a Chev?
    Last edited by daniellouw; 2021/10/24 at 01:42 PM.

I was looking at a new newshape Fortuna 3/4 years back when a 2nd hand TB came up. Don't regret at all as so much more comfortable and better 3rd row seat.

Spares though and mechanics who work on the TB is the problem as far less sold. Someone pranged into the back of the TB and may have taken an extra 2 weeks for the parts but someone is bringing them in as there were plenty sold worldwide.

And consumables (filters etc) are available at Masterparts and probably others.

But no doubt will be less mechanics understanding the car if it breaks down (nb the engine is the same 2.9 diesel as Jeep) - personally I would only get the 2.9