Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: EGT Gauge

Default EGT Gauge

I while back i was looking for a EGT gauges, not madman etc, something that was 52mm round for a pod.

I installed the Autogauge EVO EGT, and have been very happy with it. Quality is good, brightness control and its either Blue, Red, or both (day night). At R1600 it wasn't the cheapest but also not the most expensive, i had some red dragon thing in before that stopped working and was really annoying, iff it couldn't read the EGT below 200 (when at idle) it would just flash at you, very distracting.

https://www.autostyle.co.za/product/...gt-gauge-52mm/

2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walnut For This Useful Post:

Default Re: EGT Gauge

Image below:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Walnut; 2021/06/09 at 03:18 PM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Walnut For This Useful Post:

I'm happy to see you installed it in a similar vehicle to mine. I really didn't want to fit a 52mm gauge and to get a smaller one, is difficult. I might now give it a go. Did you get the pod mounts (or whatever its called) also at Autostyle? Personally I don't like your gauge format that much. I might try another brand.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

Pod mounts are also from Autostyle. They come in double or single pillar mounts.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Walnut For This Useful Post:

One thing to mention, I didn't install the probe in the manifold. It's straight after the turbo in downpipe. I had a larger downpipe fitted and it was easier to put it there, just adjust the figure in your head if doing the same.

I wasn't keen to drill into cast iron, or put a metal probe in the path of the turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    One thing to mention, I didn't install the probe in the manifold. It's straight after the turbo in downpipe. I had a larger downpipe fitted and it was easier to put it there, just adjust the figure in your head if doing the same.

I wasn't keen to drill into cast iron, or put a metal probe in the path of the turbo.
    Keep in mind that post-turbo temps are approx 200C lower than manifold temps.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    Keep in mind that post-turbo temps are approx 200C lower than manifold temps.
    +1

I installed a Madman in my Ranger and removed it when I sold it. I don't have a proper place for the Madman, therefore I didn't install it yet. Its very easy to drill the manifold. Its about the same as mildsteel.

Planning to get EGT but fitting into manifold is problematic. Not keen on removing manifold.
    Sleeping on it still.
    Robert van den Berg

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Planning to get EGT but fitting into manifold is problematic. Not keen on removing manifold.
    Sleeping on it still.
    stuff something on the back if the exhaust to create some back pressure and drill with the engine running. This can either save you time or cost you money

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    Sleeping on it still.
    Why problematic?
    You drill the hole with the engine cold about halfway. Then start the vehicle and drill through. No bits/shavings will enter as the exhaust gas will push it out. Switch it off when you're through to cool down. Put grease (to hold the shavings) on tap and tap the thread. But theres no time for playing since the manifold will heat up soon. I did two on WLT engines without any issues.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Spiceman View Post
    Then start the vehicle and drill through. No bits/shavings will enter as the exhaust gas will push it out.
    Won't the shavings end up in the turbo? Or is the exhaust pressure enough to push them ALL up through your drilled hole?

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~125000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 25000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post:

I used a nice strong vacuume cleaner and while drilling sucked the shavings, then when tapped the thread put grease on the tap this collects nearly all the shavings
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cainslie View Post
    Won't the shavings end up in the turbo? Or is the exhaust pressure enough to push them ALL up through your drilled hole?
    Everything gets pushed out by the exhaust gases.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

I have drilled mine pre turbo twice in place with the engine running. The first one stripped after a few years and got lose on me. Then melted the probe into a blob that would not come back out through the hole. So welded it up with new hole slightly further toward the turbo.
    As 4E said, post turbo drops temp easily between 100 to 200deg. Set your alarm for around 150deg lower than normal.
    Mine is set for 650 pre turbo, and I don't care if I have a train up my crack on the road, if the alarm goes off, I lift my foot. But only see alarms with rubbish or low PPM diesel when the van struggles with performance.

Try keep the thermo couple in an accessible place, I have had to replace mine a few times. These things just don't last. Last one was a Autostyle unit that lasted just over a year with hardly 10K km done. It started giving me stupid readings a few weeks back on a trip to Cape Town. Went to 900deg on a downhill running against compression. Spent the rest of the day in alarm state. So I had to disable it.
    Last edited by bfreesani; 2021/06/10 at 08:25 AM.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

25. The Following User Says Thank You to bfreesani For This Useful Post:

Hi guys,

Don't want to start a new thread. Though I'd ask here.

I would like to fit a EGT guage, but once it's in, what are the temps I need to look out for? Above what should be considered dangerous ect ect.
    Or is every vehicle's EGT temp range different?
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Hi guys,

I would like to fit a EGT guage, but once it's in, what are the temps I need to look out for? Above what should be considered dangerous ect ect.
    As bfreesani said, 650C pre-turbo to be safe.

450C post turbo.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

28. The Following User Says Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    Hi guys,

The Defender guys used to set their alarms to 720C when the probe is just before the turbo. I did the same on my Ranger. When I get my new EGT gauge, I will do the same.

EGT temps can run very quickly, and when you are at full boot on a hill with a trailer in tow, things get out of hand fast. I have had a case where the alarm goes off at 650, and just by the time I look down at the Madman, it's already at 750-800deg. If you think you can make the top of the hill quickly, you going to be melting pistons.
    Playing with my fuel screw, I have had it spike on pull-aways in a matter of seconds, and drop back down to 300. Alarm goes for 5 seconds, but when you go look at the log, it spiked at nearly 800. It's frightening.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

31. The Following User Says Thank You to bfreesani For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bfreesani View Post
    EGT temps can run very quickly, and when you are at full boot on a hill with a trailer in tow, things get out of hand fast. I have had a case where the alarm goes off at 650, and just by the time I look down at the Madman, it's already at 750-800deg. If you think you can make the top of the hill quickly, you going to be melting pistons.
    Playing with my fuel screw, I have had it spike on pull-aways in a matter of seconds, and drop back down to 300. Alarm goes for 5 seconds, but when you go look at the log, it spiked at nearly 800. It's frightening.
    I hear what you say. My experience with my 2,5WLT in the Ranger was that the enormous increase rate tapers down when it reached 700C. I never got to 800C. I take your advice to heart and will check when I install.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast