Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gps sales

Default Re: Gps sales

Quote Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
    I will come a time when the GPS as we know it might become irrelevant.
    The smart phone industry is taking over this technology in a big way.
    I can't see that happening - many debates on this. Sure, the GPS market size is losing out to smart phones, but there will always be a place for a dedicated GPSr on the dash, especially when in the bush.

I use my smart phone for navigation as well when visiting another city in a hired car. But it's not ideal when taking calls, looking up other stuff etc while navigating - there it is nice to have a dedicated unit where the map does not disappear when the phone rings. Plus the GPSr is much more robust on the hot dash than the smart phone.

Similarly, the smart phone will never replace a laptop, even though you can do most of the stuff on the phone.
    Mike Lauterbach

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

I downloaded the OSM And app. After trying to load home address and find another address for half an hour, I deleted the app.
    For around town on a quick trip I'll use my phone with Google maps. Anywhere else I'll only rely on my GPS. I've got first hand experience where a trip around the Western Cape and Lesotho driving mountain passes became a navigation problem. The trip had been planned on "Wayze" using a cell phone. On day 2 it was found that there was no cell coverage for at least 80% of the route. We then reverted to my GPS and M4A without problems for the rest of the trip. My GPS backup is good old fashioned paper map's and a Sylva compas.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scheepers85 View Post
    ya well no fine. I am happy with Apple car play and maps.me for offline use. There is simply not a more detialed map set out there than the OSM crowdsourced data.

For off road/off grid work yes, I agree something like a etrex or gpsMap60/70 etc can’t be replaced by a smartphone. But I fail to see what a value a Nuvi or the like provides over and above a smartphone with the appropriate paid or free apps.
    Please show me how you will find Bakkranse and Tierhoek and I wil go for your set-up.
    Barnie Hickman
    Jeep XJ 95 "Witblitz" Jeep XJ 99 "Goldi" Swambo's

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BarnieH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BarnieH View Post
    Please show me how you will find Bakkranse and Tierhoek and I wil go for your set-up.
    guessing you are referring to Bakkranse and Tierhoek Camps in the Richtersveld.....

screenshots atttached. With turn by turn routing from port nolloth, or wherever else you may need it from, for free.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	93E57B20-AA4D-41A3-BA6B-0D0D26194A1F.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	618206   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FE421E99-9B6D-468D-9FC4-6690A78EBB80.png 
Views:	46 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	618207   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	518A42E9-B5CF-4DF4-9F10-678DEF2A40DD.png 
Views:	42 
Size:	271.2 KB 
ID:	618208  

Agree, around town and home I use Google maps, of if offline I use Here.

When on holiday or on trips I just prefer a seperate GPS. Backup is a map book, and for Namibia I have the T4A paper map, which has great points of interest etc.

But everyone has what suits them.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

I must ask.... in 2021, other than for hardcore military or paramilitary, completely off grid operations, who on earth still buys a gps? Especially something along the lines of a Nuvi?

there are smartphones and tablets that fill this role now, with Alan unbelievable amount of data available basically free through the OSM (open street map) program.

For field works, where battery life becomes an issue I can still see the value of a handheld gps, but as a “satnav” you have probably got everything you need already.

Look at apps like maps.me that are 100% free and allow you to download the OSM data sets for 100% offline operation.
    I dont like having all my support on 1 piece of tech - if it fails wrong place wrong time things can go south quickly.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raider4x4 For This Useful Post:

Good old paper maps.

never to be dismissed.......theres just something about having a lekker drink, a smoke, and just staring at those......
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

I must ask.... in 2021, other than for hardcore military or paramilitary, completely off grid operations, who on earth still buys a gps? Especially something along the lines of a Nuvi?

there are smartphones and tablets that fill this role now, with Alan unbelievable amount of data available basically free through the OSM (open street map) program.

For field works, where battery life becomes an issue I can still see the value of a handheld gps, but as a “satnav” you have probably got everything you need already.

Look at apps like maps.me that are 100% free and allow you to download the OSM data sets for 100% offline operation.

Not THAT debate, again .............!

I dunno. I just like gadgets.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dph For This Useful Post:

guessing you are referring to Bakkranse and Tierhoek Camps in the Richtersveld.....

screenshots atttached. With turn by turn routing from port nolloth, or wherever else you may need it from, for free.....

This all looks good, but, for instance, if you come from Port Nolloth towards Bakkranse and are in the vicinity
    of the Holgat river twists and turns, how will your device show your position on the map without
    external positioning signal, or am I missing something here?
    Barnie Hickman

Not sure what you are referring to here, but a phone has a GPS "unit" built into it. It connects to satellites like a regular standalone GPS.
    I think what Scheepers is saying is, there is no need for a dedicated GPS when you have a phone/tablet with the correct apps on.

BUT, some prefer a standalone GPS for their own reasons.

My dad still uses a Garmin when travelling. He does not want to move over and just use Google maps. And I'm not going to try and convince him. If it works for him, it makes his journey better.
    Last edited by IcePick88; 2021/06/11 at 09:08 AM.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

This all looks good, but, for instance, if you come from Port Nolloth towards Bakkranse and are in the vicinity
    of the Holgat river twists and turns, how will your device show your position on the map without
    I think you are missing something.
    There are apps that do not need any mobile signal, they work exactly as a GPS would work with pre downloaded maps and satellite positioning only.

I use Backcountry navigator, when i go overseas i plan my trip on google maps and google earth for when i am going off road, then I download those areas on Backcountry in both roadmaps and satellite image , and I then turn my mobile signal and data off and use it just as a GPS.

19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Answered.
    Last edited by Steady; 2021/06/11 at 09:14 AM.
    An unconscious competent making his way through life.

I think there is a place for both.

Came across Swambo's old GPS in the cupboard a little while ago. Also thought to myself that the GPS has become obsolete.

But, with loadshedding stuffing up our networks (I'm on Vodacom and am struggling in Pretoria to have decent single from time to time).

Getting from point A to B on tar road? GPS absolutely not needed. Between Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze you are spoiled for choice.
    Rooies, Red, Redman (Pieter)

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    I think there is a place for both.

Came across Swambo's old GPS in the cupboard a little while ago. Also thought to myself that the GPS has become obsolete.

But, with loadshedding stuffing up our networks (I'm on Vodacom and am struggling in Pretoria to have decent single from time to time).

Getting from point A to B on tar road? GPS absolutely not needed. Between Apple Maps, Google Maps and Waze you are spoiled for choice.
    most of the proper Navigation apps allow for you to store offline maps, so will work even when signal is a problem.... but obviously live traffic updates etc still need signal.

Even google maps lets you choose areas and download fully detialed map tiles for offline use in these areas.

It will know your position becaus it is a fully functional GPS. The GPS reciever is independent from the cellular reciever, and works just like a Garmin or TomTom or other dedicated GPS would

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Scheepers85 For This Useful Post:

most of the proper Navigation apps allow for you to store offline maps, so will work even when signal is a problem.... but obviously live traffic updates etc still need signal.

Even google maps lets you choose areas and download fully detialed map tiles for offline use in these areas.
    Offline is completely useless for traffic, which is one of the main reasons to have these apps
    Rooies, Red, Redman (Pieter)

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

Even google maps lets you choose areas and download fully detailed map tiles for offline use in these areas.
    I had an issue with downloaded Google Maps just the other day. If you just view all the detail and streets are there, but as soon as you navigate, all the detail including streets, disappear. The navigation still works perfectly but it is just a blank screen with arrows and voice and times/distances. Any ideas? Google could not help.

The other offline map I use on the phone is Sygic (spelling?), but I lost trust in it when it could not navigate me to Glynnwood Hospital in Benoni, and was clueless around Polokwane with the new highway layout there. Otherwise it work fine

If it wasn't for my dashcam I would still have my old trusty old Garmin on my window. It is too cluttered with a dashcam and GPS. The phone fits nicely in my instrument cluster.
    Wimpie Nel
    Discovery 5

Don't half-ass two things, whole-ass one thing - Ron Swanson

Technology has moved on , i looke into buying a GPS for my river trips and could find nothing that could give my what I get from the app.

Rowing downriver on the orange between Veloorsdrif and Vioolsdrif we have tried GPS's , but nothing works as good as Backcountry navigator with Sat images downloaded. The river is a labyrinth and it changes over the years, so even though i haev done it 30 plus times I always plan it out and plan alternative routes for if some have closed in with reeds or trees.
    Map in Google Earth
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2021-06-11 092004.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	356.2 KB 
ID:	618248

Then I import the route into the app and record my actual route while we go down.
    The app does not constantly use battery power like maps and google does, you tell it when you want it to use the GPS unit so I have been able to go 5 days with a single charge with my Samsung A31 set to only use the app and the camera.

Same map on the app.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2021-06-11 at 09.23.01.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	101.1 KB 
ID:	618250

The app can import, convert and export files in the format KMZ, KML and GPX So on return from a trip ill export the route i tracked back to Google earth on my computer and adjust the trail accordingly.

If i started out with a GPS I might have continued to use it as other do, and for maritime and aviation they will remain, but the development of the apps are going to replace GPS's for casual use like this in the end.

For trafic navigation I use maps, just easier and you get traffic updates , so different apps for different applications.
    Last edited by Bex; 2021/06/11 at 09:39 AM.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Thanks guys.
    I am convinced about the new stuff now.

Very impressed with Sheepers's mapping. Which program was that?

Will try and download that to the laptop for cross referencing.

That said, I will stay with my phone as a phone, GPS as a mapping device and Chinese go-pro as a video camera.

I am allowed to plead pensioner resistance to paradigm shifts.
    Barnie Hickman

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast