Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Gps sales

Default Re: Gps sales

Ian
    Where do you think that phones still lag behind dedicated GPS's, in the software or the hardware?

The GPS apps that I use keeps me updated about the accuracy of my location as it uses less or more satelites. I could not find any difference between the ability of the phone and a Garmin gps to get satellite readings or their ability to accurately give my location. 4 years ago, yes, now I dont see any difference.

Processor and memory in phones seem to be ahead of GPS's ?

I can move tracks recorded on Gps to phone and visa versa with no problem.

The software gets improved continuously, maybe the apps have caught up?

Quote Originally Posted by Scheepers85 View Post
    It will know your position becaus it is a fully functional GPS. The GPS reciever is independent from the cellular reciever, and works just like a Garmin or TomTom or other dedicated GPS would
    Never knew that..........thanks!!!
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Ian
    Where do you think that phones still lag behind dedicated GPS's, in the software or the hardware?

The GPS apps that I use keeps me updated about the accuracy of my location as it uses less or more satelites. I could not find any difference between the ability of the phone and a Garmin gps to get satellite readings or their ability to accurately give my location. 4 years ago, yes, now I dont see any difference.

Processor and memory in phones seem to be ahead of GPS's ?

I can move tracks recorded on Gps to phone and visa versa with no problem.

The software gets improved continuously, maybe the apps have caught up?
    Jors, I don't think smart phones necessarily lag behind GPS in software or hardware. Hardware-wise, they are light years ahead, as you mention. They have other benefits as well. For example, when they are in reception areas, they make use of assisted GPS which results in them getting their actual fix a heck of a lot faster than a traditional GPS. As I've also said, I still use my smart phone as backup. Software wise, I've also got no issues moving tracks between GPS and phone, plotting routes between GPS and phone and similar. In short, the phone does everything my GPS does.

But, there are several trade-offs made on the phone in order for it to work reasonably effectively as a GPS and I prefer navigating via my GPS. In a nutshell, I'd mention them as follows:

1: Battery life. My GPS will last for a trip of several days before I need to change the batteries. Without charging, my phone would be flat in a very short while. This is what annoys me about the next point...
    2: Heat. When navigating and charging, my phone has frequently overheated. This could be hardware (doubtful - refer comment at the end), but I'm not fond of this. Also, for it to be of any use whilst driving, I normally have it in my lap at this point. The heat is uncomfortable...
    3: Reliability in areas with no reception. Despite having had offline maps, on the occasion when I really needed my phone to be able to navigate, it was totally confused. As such, I've got no massive trust for it.
    4: That multifunction thing. Since my phone s my phone, and my camera, and my text message platform and my web browser and pretty much everything, I find it annoying having to find my navigation app between all the other apps every time a call comes in, or similar.

Don't get me wrong, my phone is fantastic for navigating for short distances in towns and cities or when I'm looking for an actual street address. But it is not the primary navigation device I take with when I head off into the great unknown yonder. It goes, but it is for backup.

A note regarding the overheating issue: This has not happened with a single phone. It has happened with every Samsung Galaxy I have owned. It has also happened with a Windows Phone I had (a loan phone following my standard phone being stolen and whilst waiting for my new phone). I don't use iPhones, so I cannot comment. I'd also prefer that this not become another iPhone vs Android debate.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

4. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Bex

Sorry - stupid question I guess......but what you guys say is that a cellphone will still act as a GPS even in "Flight Mode"??

We were in Lesotho this weekend, for example, with Mobile Data off, Flight Mode on.

?

Thanks
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Sorry - stupid question I guess......but what you guys say is that a cellphone will still act as a GPS even in "Flight Mode"??

We were in Lesotho this weekend, for example, with Mobile Data off, Flight Mode on.

?

Thanks
    Flightmode will kill the GPS as well.

But turning off mobile data, the GPS will still function.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Jors, I don't think smart phones necessarily lag behind GPS in software or hardware. Hardware-wise, they are light years ahead, as you mention. They have other benefits as well. For example, when they are in reception areas, they make use of assisted GPS which results in them getting their actual fix a heck of a lot faster than a traditional GPS. As I've also said, I still use my smart phone as backup. Software wise, I've also got no issues moving tracks between GPS and phone, plotting routes between GPS and phone and similar. In short, the phone does everything my GPS does.

But, there are several trade-offs made on the phone in order for it to work reasonably effectively as a GPS and I prefer navigating via my GPS. In a nutshell, I'd mention them as follows:

1: Battery life. My GPS will last for a trip of several days before I need to change the batteries. Without charging, my phone would be flat in a very short while. This is what annoys me about the next point...
    2: Heat. When navigating and charging, my phone has frequently overheated. This could be hardware (doubtful - refer comment at the end), but I'm not fond of this. Also, for it to be of any use whilst driving, I normally have it in my lap at this point. The heat is uncomfortable...
    3: Reliability in areas with no reception. Despite having had offline maps, on the occasion when I really needed my phone to be able to navigate, it was totally confused. As such, I've got no massive trust for it.
    4: That multifunction thing. Since my phone s my phone, and my camera, and my text message platform and my web browser and pretty much everything, I find it annoying having to find my navigation app between all the other apps every time a call comes in, or similar.

Don't get me wrong, my phone is fantastic for navigating for short distances in towns and cities or when I'm looking for an actual street address. But it is not the primary navigation device I take with when I head off into the great unknown yonder. It goes, but it is for backup.

A note regarding the overheating issue: This has not happened with a single phone. It has happened with every Samsung Galaxy I have owned. It has also happened with a Windows Phone I had (a loan phone following my standard phone being stolen and whilst waiting for my new phone). I don't use iPhones, so I cannot comment. I'd also prefer that this not become another iPhone vs Android debate.
    Your points make sense, I have experienced a number of the same, but varied situations mitigate some and I found work around's for most of the others.

1. I get that, I used my phone for navigation on a 6 day rowing trip where there was no signal, so I set the phone to only allow camera and navigation to run, my A30 battery lasted the 6 days of the trip, i did not even use the powerbank that i took along. The Backcountry app only use gps funtion when you tell it to , so it does not hog bat life like the google apps do.

2. I get the heat only when using google type apps, then it usually sits in my air vent holder so it keeps cool. The backcountry app I use causes less heating, even when actively tracking it stays cool.

3. Reliability in areas without reception depends on the app I use, I have had issues with Ways and Maps but not with Backcountry in the past 4 years. It did have some issues in the first couple of years.

4. I get that a bit sometimes, but when connected to car Bluetooth that app keeps running and if i have to dial the navigation app changes to a small window while I access other apps for dailing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post

It depends on the app, if the app can work while only receiving it works even in flight mode. I have not used it like that before , so I quickly tested it now before replying.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    Your points make sense, I have experienced a number of the same, but varied situations mitigate some and I found work around's for most of the others.

1. I get that, I used my phone for navigation on a 6 day rowing trip where there was no signal, so I set the phone to only allow camera and navigation to run, my A30 battery lasted the 6 days of the trip, i did not even use the powerbank that i took along. The Backcountry app only use gps funtion when you tell it to , so it does not hog bat life like the google apps do.

2. I get the heat only when using google type apps, then it usually sits in my air vent holder so it keeps cool. The backcountry app I use causes less heating, even when actively tracking it stays cool.

3. Reliability in areas without reception depends on the app I use, I have had issues with Ways and Maps but not with Backcountry in the past 4 years. It did have some issues in the first couple of years.

4. I get that a bit sometimes, but when connected to car Bluetooth that app keeps running and if i have to dial the navigation app changes to a small window while I access other apps for dailing.
    I've not tried Backcountry. I'll check it out. Thanks.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post

Just to add two points:
    1) Your phone will chew through juice if it canít connect to the network. I assume the searching for signal uses more power than maintaining a signal. And itís continuously looking. When Iím in India I have to switch off the cell network. I just use the factory and hotel wifi.
    2) The latest iOS pops a little window up for phone calls. I can answer the call, choose speaker/Bluetooth and continue use the app I was using while talking on the phone. Android will surely/may already have as be something similar. Theyíre continuously copying one another.

But yes a gps battery will far outlast a phone, particularly if you keep the screen on. Iíve never needed to keep my phone off juice as long as Bex, but he got it to work.

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post

My Asus phone in flight mode still give me a GPS reading. So I don't agree that flight mode kills the GPS as well.

But this is where my comment about operating systems come in. No one is really sure what Android is doing with the GPS chip when providing the location to apps. Remember that when you create an app which requires location, it must request this from the OS and not directly from the GPS chip. This is where I trust the dedicated GPS device more than a phone or tablet.
    Johann Groenewald
    Tracks4Africa

www.tracks4africa.co.za
    For friendly support staff, call +27 (0)21 880 8660

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Groenie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Groenie View Post
    Jors, you are welcome to send these to me directly to ensure that it is removed. But as Mike pointed out, if someone is still using an old map version then these corrections will not reach them. johann at tracks4africa dot co dot za

But there are plenty of different maps around and I have had more than a few occasions where I had to show a land owner that our maps are not the culprit. And then you get the guy who will drive where he pleases and when caught, will blame the GPS. Hell, my partner Wouter, has blamed 'this bloody T4A' on a few occasions when caught on his bike in a forest reserve around George area. As my first boss used to say to me: Bull$#% baffles brains.
    Johan
    Thanks, Ill take you up on that.
    I would like to discuss the problem of how a track like this that is off limits gets added to the maps without the landowners knowledge and then it remains on users GPS's.
    The section that I circled in yellow is the current problem.
    Name:  Screenshot 2021-06-15 161627.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  84.9 KB

This is a persistent problem for us at the moment with lots of tourists entering into areas on the farm that T4A has already removed from the map, for instance the old river camp that is show as a campsite, T4A removed it on our request, we have no entry signs up, but people camp there and use the fact that it is shown on T4A as their excuse. We have had fires in the plantation because of camp fires so we do not allow camping there.

This is part of the reason why we are considering having the farm excluded from the Namaqua route entirely , is there a way to get updates like that through to existing GPS's?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4