Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Gps sales

Default Gps sales

There used to be a member selling gps's is he still around
    Bought my nuvi500 from him many moons ago. But it is getting to small and need something bigger.

Landrover Puma 110, OME - sold
    Imagine Trailvan
    Disco1 V8 - sold
    Disco 4 V8 HSE -passed away 6/7/21

Default Re: Gps sales

Speak to Luke Strugnell on the forum.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Thnx. What is his forum name pls
    Quote Originally Posted by Family_Dog View Post
    Speak to Luke Strugnell on the forum.

-F_D

Landrover Puma 110, OME - sold
    Imagine Trailvan
    Disco1 V8 - sold
    Disco 4 V8 HSE -passed away 6/7/21

His forum name is "lukestrugnell" - just click on the link I posted above, it will take you to his profile.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

I must ask.... in 2021, other than for hardcore military or paramilitary, completely off grid operations, who on earth still buys a gps? Especially something along the lines of a Nuvi?

there are smartphones and tablets that fill this role now, with Alan unbelievable amount of data available basically free through the OSM (open street map) program.

For field works, where battery life becomes an issue I can still see the value of a handheld gps, but as a ďsatnavĒ you have probably got everything you need already.

Look at apps like maps.me that are 100% free and allow you to download the OSM data sets for 100% offline operation.

People that want a GPS buy a GPS. People that want a phone buy a phone. Simple ne.

They are not the same thing.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    People that want a GPS buy a GPS. People that want a phone buy a phone. Simple ne.

They are not the same thing.

ya well no fine. I am happy with Apple car play and maps.me for offline use. There is simply not a more detialed map set out there than the OSM crowdsourced data.

For off road/off grid work yes, I agree something like a etrex or gpsMap60/70 etc canít be replaced by a smartphone. But I fail to see what a value a Nuvi or the like provides over and above a smartphone with the appropriate paid or free apps.

I use a GPS (Garmin Drive) still, especially with tracks4africa, many offroad tracks not on Google.

Also if my phone died or something, I still have the GPS. Only use it when on holiday, but I find it very useful to have.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walnut For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scheepers85 View Post
    ya well no fine. I am happy with Apple car play and maps.me for offline use. There is simply not a more detialed map set out there than the OSM crowdsourced data.

For off road/off grid work yes, I agree something like a etrex or gpsMap60/70 etc canít be replaced by a smartphone. But I fail to see what a value a Nuvi or the like provides over and above a smartphone with the appropriate paid or free apps.
    I use both. There are some simple things the various apps donít do elegantly, or even at all.

And routing is a major one, plus decent logs and waypoints, and real-time updates of all sorts of things.

Strangely, I donít see why this is so. No reason somebody couldnít just copy a decent GPS's MMI.

Right now I am typing on my iPad which has a heap of Nav Apps on it. Come to think of it, my Garmin can't do that.

Kinda like two way radio's. I would rather have separate VHF and UHF radios than a single VHF/UHF combo.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Possibly it exists, but I have not seen a smartphone with a proper GPS user interface.

Even though GPSs are all touchscreen and menu driven, it still has an analog feel to it.

It took a very long time for the aviation industry to accept the concept of a "glass " flight deck. And then the instrumentation is still a digital image of a dial.

I think the GPS gives you a much more "seat-of-the-pants feel. And even though this is subjective, if it makes you feel more comfortable or confident, that is what you should use.

I mean, how more analog can you go than a compass rose?
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I use both. There are some simple things the various apps donít do elegantly, or even at all.

And routing is a major one, plus decent logs and waypoints, and real-time updates of all sorts of things.

Strangely, I donít see why this is so. No reason somebody couldnít just copy a decent GPS's MMI.

Right now I am typing on my iPad which has a heap of Nav Apps on it. Come to think of it, my Garmin can't do that.

Kinda like two way radio's. I would rather have separate VHF and UHF radios than a single VHF/UHF combo.
    have you tried maps.me? I find the routing excellent, and if you remember to download the maps for the regions you need before hand, it works perfectly offline too. Granted it isnít the best at track logs etc, but you can run a seperate app in background for that.

I guess it is different strokes for different folks. Iím not a fan of extra devices. I enjoy the fact Jp that I can manage my music, navigation, communication etc all from one device, amd the track logs etc sync to the cloud as soon as I get back within comms range, to be accessed at home on my computer etc if needed.

I do normally have a compas, paper map and my old etrex in the cubby hole just in case...

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    I use a GPS (Garmin Drive) still, especially with tracks4africa, many offroad tracks not on Google.

Also if my phone died or something, I still have the GPS. Only use it when on holiday, but I find it very useful to have.
    I can pretty much assure you there won’t be a single track on tracks for Africa that is not also available on the OSM map sets you can download for free on your choice of apps for your smartphone or tablet.

T4A is a partner to the OSM initiative.

oh yes, one last comment on this, it is also possible to download the OSM maps to your pc and then use them in base amp for route planning, and install on your Garmin GPS, as you would with the T4A maps too.
    Last edited by Scheepers85; 2021/06/09 at 10:54 PM.

In the long grass, 300km from the nearest gsm tower.
    Proper GPS' gets you back to your home.

In civilisation your phone can do it.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Spliffcat For This Useful Post:

I have both but rely far more on the GPS.
    The latter combines nicely with the PC for route planning
    and itís far easier than using a mobile phone. And I have a neat track record of where
    we have travelled.

Gravel routes in T4A are more extensively covered than Google and overall one feels far more confident using the GPS.
    Letís not forget old fashioned paper maps which provide the big picture. They are still most useful in this digital age!

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

I'm using OsmAnd offline maps on my phone. The Open Street Maps are always up to date. I often use it for a quick reference in town. It is even on the Android Stereo Unit in the Rav4. Main reason for OsmAnd (above Maps.me) is that I was able to import my BaseCamp waypoints. Easy to do route planning on BaseCamp and then email the gpx/xml file to the Android Unit. Driving the Rav4 it is the only navigation we use.

But....
    I still prefer my Garmin above the phone. Nothing beats the Garmin up in the windscreen mount in the hot sun on a long drive.

Last edited by KobusDJ; 2021/06/10 at 06:46 AM.
    Kobus

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

I can pretty much assure you there won’t be a single track on tracks for Africa that is not also available on the OSM map sets you can download for free on your choice of apps for your smartphone or tablet.

T4A is a partner to the OSM initiative.

oh yes, one last comment on this, it is also possible to download the OSM maps to your pc and then use them in base amp for route planning, and install on your Garmin GPS, as you would with the T4A maps too.
    T4A doesn't just give you maps, it has waypoints and notes in certain roads. For example if a road requires a permit or where a good stop is. Also tells you conditions etc. With basecamp I set my routes before hand, upload them to the Garmin and then can select them. Great when planning complected routes.

T4A also have a android app, but I don't like it. I also don't like all my eggs in one basket, my Garmin can happily sit in dash while my phone plays Spotify. Also means that while driving I don't have to keep looking down to switch between things. Each device has its purpose.

You can get android TPMS also, but again I prefer a seperate device for this.

Name:  20210609_145932.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  282.2 KB
    Last edited by Walnut; 2021/06/10 at 07:13 AM.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Walnut For This Useful Post:

In the middle of the Indian Ocean a GPS for me.
    Phone only gets turned on in port.

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    T4A doesn't just give you maps, it has waypoints and notes in certain roads. For example if a road requires a permit or where a good stop is. Also tells you conditions etc. With basecamp I set my routes before hand, upload them to the Garmin and then can select them. Great when planning complected routes.

T4A also have a android app, but I don't like it. I also don't like all my eggs in one basket, my Garmin can happily sit in dash while my phone plays Spotify. Also means that while driving I don't have to keep looking down to switch between things. Each device has its purpose.

You can get android TPMS also, but again I prefer a seperate device for this.

Name:  20210609_145932.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  282.2 KB
    As I said, each to their own, but I again need to re-iterate, OSM (Open Street Maps) data sets has all the waypoints and info you will find on tracks for Africa, and in many cases even more so.

You can also use OSM on your Garmin, which is what I have on my Garmin, that is in the cubby hole as a back up, but hardly ever used anymore.

The OSM initiative works on the same principle as Tracks4Africa, where the most recent and accurate geospatial data is crowdsourced by the community, but it is far more detailed than T4A in built up areas, and often has more up to date info in rural areas than your current version of T4A may have.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to KobusDJ For This Useful Post:

I will come a time when the GPS as we know it might become irrelevant.
    The smart phone industry is taking over this technology in a big way.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

30. The Following User Says Thank You to OFFROAD ADDICT For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast