Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Running a 3-phase machine on 220 via a VFD

Looking at buying a milling machine, but all the good ones seem to have 3-phase motors.

Can ynybody tell me whether it is possible, what is necessary and roughly how much it would cost?

Motor power on the one I am currently looking at is 1.5 HP.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Default Re: Running a 3-phase machine on 220 via a VFD

About R2.5k. The balance of you electronics may not like the output from the vfd, unless you lock it at 50Hz.

The other option is to convert 1 phase to 3phase using a 3 phase motor and capacitor.
    Last edited by faniedup; 2021/06/08 at 07:13 PM.

Bought mine many years ago from Neels vd Berg below.

Very happy with the price, operation and telephonic advice to get it operational.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20210608-191642_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	617967
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:

Cant be done - only way is proper 3-phase power supply.

-------------------------------------

eer BTW - Do you have a link to the milling machine.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Best way is with a 220V Single Phase to 380V 3-Phase VFD - VSD.

My favourite brand is LG. Used many on motion platforms.

I will find you a price and post.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Mine is from Brazil, I think.

This model can analyze the motor properties and optimize the controller for best torque at any speed.

It was packaged in a rose enclosure with a transparent lid so the frequency could be read but keep the shavings out. Had to cut a hole for the mode switch, though.

Name:	20210608_200834.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	265.4 KB 
ID:	617971

The frequency control is remote, integrated with the on/off and directional control switch, with an adjustment range of 25 to 75 Hz. Apologies, only saw now how dirty it was .

Name:	20210608_202643.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	326.1 KB 
ID:	617974

Since conversion, I have not needed to change gear sets or belts on the lathe again. But then, I only work with plastics and Al.

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

Thank you gentlemen

Keith, sorry, the machine has not been advertised yet. If I decide not to take it, I will send you details.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2021/06/09 at 05:43 AM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Does this sound too good to be true
    https://www.wish.com/product/5f3f8d5..._BwE&share=web

Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    Bought mine many years ago from Neels vd Berg below...
    Thanks for this link.

Looks like a good starting point for my long outstanding belt grinder project.
    Kobus

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    Thanks for this link.

Looks like a good starting point for my long outstanding belt grinder project.
    Looks like a scam. Way to cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by plunger View Post
    https://cfptechnologies.co.za/

Prices looks about average to me.
    Kobus

No it is not.

Neels operates from his house - you can physically go there and look/collect.

His cars don't fit into his garage anymore as it is filled with a collection of immaculately restored lathes and even an NC mill. He uses it.

When I was there last, he had just acquired an Emco 10 lathe - he already had 2 other models, but this one had powered crossfeed, if I recall correctly.

He has demo setups in his garage which shows how the devices work. Also, if you are not electrically handy, he makes plug-and-play control units as well.

I bought my first set of very cheap milling cutters from him. He told me up front they are not the best, being only HSS, but for the price he finds them acceptable. I'm still using some of them.

He also sells well-priced DROs.

Disclaimer: He is not related to me/I don't have shares in his business/he does not pay me for advertizing but he could provide exactly the correct solutions for me each time.

Unless he has gone rogue, since......

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JJJ For This Useful Post:

Does this sound too good to be true
    https://www.wish.com/product/5f3f8d5..._BwE&share=web
    Yes, it can be done, but be VERY careful when buying a VFD. You get many variations of them, so make sure you get the correct one.

The one in the link above is an XSY-AT1, 220V single phase in and 220V 3-phase out. If you are running a 380V motor, you need a 220V single phase in and 380V 3-phase out. (XSY-AT4) Do not even consider going the capacitor route. An absolute waste of time and money.

This is the one I currently have on my milling machine:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000899823865.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.81 48356.2.3f363aa7jABrvn

The front panel can be removed from the unit and mounted separately elsewhere.
    Last edited by ghouwens; 2021/06/09 at 01:34 PM.
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

Would it not be cheaper to just change the motor ?
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

No it is not.

His cars don't fit into his garage anymore as it is filled with a collection of immaculately restored lathes and even an NC mill. He uses it.

When I was there last, he had just acquired an Emco 10 lathe - he already had 2 other models, but this one had powered crossfeed, if I recall correctly.

He has demo setups in his garage which shows how the devices work. Also, if you are not electrically handy, he makes plug-and-play control units as well.

I bought my first set of very cheap milling cutters from him. He told me up front they are not the best, being only HSS, but for the price he finds them acceptable. I'm still using some of them.

Disclaimer: He is not related to me/I don't have shares in his business/he does not pay me for advertizing but he could provide exactly the correct solutions for me each time.

Plunger was referring to the link to the VFD on wish.com, not to Neels!
    Guy B. Vergoes Houwens
    2014 LC76 4.5 V8

uumm 220V three phase is 380V three phase.

The difference is in the Star and Delta wiring.

Nice choice of inverter BTW.

In the pic below all motor wirings are in fact 230V. Its the same motor just connected differently.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2021/06/09 at 01:40 PM.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

No it is not.

You have misunderstood me. Wish has an inverter for R790 .00.Sounds too cheap.By the way his lathe is an emco super ll. Far superior to any emco vp 10 which has powered crossfeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    uumm 220V three phase is 380V three phase.

The difference is in the Star and Delta wiring.

Nice choice of inverter BTW.

In the pic below all motor wirings are in fact 230V. Its the same motor just connected differently.
    Please explain to me Fluffy how this works. Yes Im an electrically challanged plumber. Mosty little motors under 2,2kw can be changed from star to delta. But their name plate actually states that it 3 ph 240v . Ive tried running some 3 phase motors 380v motors through a vfd like my bandsaw motor and no problem. It does not have the ability to be changed from star to delta.
    But some growl and grunt but it is possible they are damaged as they are second hand. I always thought you should aim to use a power source close to what is recommended. I see they do a 220v in 380v out but thought this was done through trickery by doubling up on the power somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by 12richardk View Post
    Would it not be cheaper to just change the motor ?
    An lo-and-behold, you will find your single phase induction motor has a starting capacitor anyway and is rather unsuited to a milling machine with variable speed control. Ever noticed all those different diameter pulleys in a drill press.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Quote Originally Posted by ghouwens View Post
    Yes, it can be done, but be VERY careful when buying a VFD. You get many variations of them, so make sure you get the correct one.

The one in the link above is an XSY-AT1, 220V single phase in and 220V 3-phase out. If you are running a 380V motor, you need a 220V single phase in and 380V 3-phase out. (XSY-AT4) Do not even consider going the capacitor route. An absolute waste of time and money.

This is the one I currently have on my milling machine:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000899823865.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_groupList.81 48356.2.3f363aa7jABrvn

The front panel can be removed from the unit and mounted separately elsewhere.
    The capacitor way is called static phase converter from what I remember . The capacitor is causing a phase shift and the motor is only running on one winding. But some motors are big enough not to make much difference. I also thought they run rough and hot but get the job done.
    Now a rotary phase converter is a different kettle of fish. It can produce a very acceptable relatively clean 3 phase power. But it aint going to give you 380 v . So you still need to find a 3 phase motor that can be changed from star to delta unless you run through a transformer. The beauty of a rotary phase converter is that you buy one motor and can run your entire workshop. The more motors attached to it the cleaner the power.I have three vfds in my shop . Itg would be great just to have one unit that does all.
    Disclaimer. Take what I say with a pinch of salt. I cant overstate how electrically challenged I am .

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast