Default Rim repair, Maun?

I have a small crack in a Compromotive 18 alloy rim - which is causing an air leak. Would much appreciate any recommendations on who might be able to patch this up in Maun or surrounds? Thanks!!

Default Re: Rim repair, Maun?

Quote Originally Posted by heyyahhey View Post
    I have a small crack in a Compromotive 18 alloy rim - which is causing an air leak. Would much appreciate any recommendations on who might be able to patch this up in Maun or surrounds? Thanks!!
    I think you need a good quality Tig Welder. I am sure they would be able to gouge out the offending crack, drill the ends of it to stop is spreading and fill it with Aluminium filler rod.

Not sure if this would help

https://www.linkedin.com/in/emason-c...alSubdomain=bw

Hope you come right and enjoy the trip.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    I think you need a good quality Tig Welder. I am sure they would be able to gouge out the offending crack, drill the ends of it to stop is spreading and fill it with Aluminium filler rod.

Not sure if this would help

https://www.linkedin.com/in/emason-c...alSubdomain=bw

Hope you come right and enjoy the trip.
    Thanks man!! Its a spare so, fingers crossed

Try Alyboat (+267 686 02901) - ask them if the could get the correct electrodes.
    They are the guys doing the Aluminium boats widely used in the Delta.

They certainly have the expertise if only the correct electrodes can be sourced.
    Did my mag rim some time back.

They are on the outskirts of Maun on the road direction Francistown in the parallel road West to the main road.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Al...86!4d23.432766
    Last edited by Kalahari Safari; 2021/06/08 at 02:33 PM.
    Walter Rene Gygax
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call:​ WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kalahari Safari For This Useful Post:

Whatever you do, DO NOT WELD AN ALUMINIUM RIM!
    But what caused the crack and where is it on the rim? If it is only a spare, try seal it with some epoxy from the inside. But be super careful that the crack do not propagate when you actually use the wheel. Usually, a cracked alloy rim is only good for the scrapyard.
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    But what caused the crack and where is it on the rim? If it is only a spare, try seal it with some epoxy from the inside. But be super careful that the crack do not propagate when you actually use the wheel. Usually, a cracked alloy rim is only good for the scrapyard.
    Given that he^^^ has matric in mech eng and I am but a humble, yet semi enthusiastic home tig welder wanna be, I would defer to Mike on this one. Very sad as those compomotive rims are very nice beasts if I recall correctly.
    @mike what about all those mag wheel repair places? Are you saying we should run a mile from them?

You could fit a tube into the tyre and then get the rim fixed properly when you are back home.

Note that the valve pipe on normal car type tubes are mostly too short to protrude properly through the alloy rim hole. I got sorted on one of my trips by a tyre dealer who cut out the correct length valve from a larger tube (truck type?) and chemical vulcanised that onto the correct size tube. I was back on the road in a jiffy.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TRON For This Useful Post:

I once did an emergency repair with Pratley Steel.

Sold the vehicle 10 years later with the Pratley still holding on.

(Mine was a pit mark. Not a crack.)
    Kobus

Thanks for all the replies! I like the tube idea - Ill try to run with that. Crack is across the bead on the inside. They had been repaired before (bought them used) - with an epoxy based product but it cracked again.

Coming back to this - in case it helps anyone down the line:

I tried to get tubes fitted to solve this problem - two different tyre shops - would not work with the Compomotive rims.

Supa Quick in Maun knew a guy who has a shop just around the corner from them who is a TIG welder - working for the aluminium boat company there. He removed the epoxy repairs to both, and welded both. Installed one, left one as spare. The installed one worked great for the remainder of the 3 week trip. We were careful with it, but despite best efforts, smacked a few potholes and rocks - and no problem.

I still view it only as a temporary repair, and I will not count on them for future trips - but it was the only option I could work out short of coming back to SA or buying new D3 rims for some crazy price, none of which were in stock and would have had to ship from SA anyway. Tried every tyre/rim shop in town in terms of picking up an 18" rim. Someone thought there might be a place in Francistown that had some, but never got that confirmed.

So long story short - the guy did good work, and could be relied on in a pinch of someone has a similar problem.

Rim job in Maun. Now that makes for some interesting googling

Last edited by MANDREAS; 2021/07/02 at 10:04 AM.
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Rim job in Maun. Now that makes for some interesting googling

I did not try that! I suspect I would have gotten different results, and possibly with other deflating consequences.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to heyyahhey For This Useful Post:

Not sure why you say this. Its fairly common practice to repair/weld aluminium wheels. As long as its someone who is qualified and experienced, and has the right equipment.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by zoneout View Post
    Not sure why you say this. Its fairly common practice to repair/weld aluminium wheels. As long as its someone who is qualified and experienced, and has the right equipment.
    Standard ISO 14400 clearly indicates, that the repair welding of wheel drive should not be made, since this can introduce additional stresses in its critical regions. The organization EUWA (Association of European Wheel Manufactures) - the Association of European manufacturers of automobile wheels - strictly prohibits the repair of damaged rims and rims of automobile wheels using heating, welding or adding any additional material.
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

Or in Canada you may, as long as you have $2 million insurance and meet a whole host of other requirements.
    http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/loo94/loo94/5_97
    But will I have my alloy rims welded by a local shop in SA? No ways.
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

Standard ISO 14400 clearly indicates, that the repair welding of wheel drive should not be made, since this can introduce additional stresses in its critical regions. The organization EUWA (Association of European Wheel Manufactures) - the Association of European manufacturers of automobile wheels - strictly prohibits the repair of damaged rims and rims of automobile wheels using heating, welding or adding any additional material.
    OK, so thats all wheels, not just aluminium?

I wonder how the industry thats evolved around wheel repair gets around that? Seriously: just search repairing aluminium wheels, there are plenty out there doing it. I understand that it could be dangerous, but somehow although apparently prohibited, its happening.

I've had it done twice, and though I haven't had any problems, I realise that by no means is a guarantee that its OK.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Hopefully if that wheel fail you will make a single vehicle accident. Hopefully.
    Mike Nieuwoudt
    '89 LR 110 V8

In our case it was that or 30 hour round trip home in a Covid environment - tests, etc.

I don’t trust them - but as a repair, it worked. Most the entire trip we stayed under 60. Most days under 30. Plus we were with A Defender TDI so we never, ever, went more than 100

Would I go 140 kmh with them on the highway? No.

Rims are welded all the time though.
    Last edited by heyyahhey; 2021/07/03 at 02:03 PM.