Default Nissan dealers' outrageous service costs!!

So I ordered a service kit for my Pathfinder 2.5 which comes to R1040. For the same parts Nissan DTM Helderberg charged me about R2650 ex vat last year when they did a service.

For the oil, which is listed as G Energy 10w40, they charged me R851 ex vat. Takealot has 5 litres for R299 vat incl. I need 1.5 cans so it should come to R450 at retail prices, which is less than half of the dealer price.

The labour cost, which is literally removing and replacing these parts, was R2250 ex vat. If I do my own service, which will take me an hour or so, and my inspections, I'll SAVE ABOUT R5 000 over Nissan's final service charge of R6 714.29 last year.

How do they justify these insane markups?
    Last edited by El 4 Romeo; 2021/06/08 at 11:31 AM.

Default Re: Nissan dealers' outrageous service costs!!

Quote Originally Posted by El 4 Romeo View Post
    So I ordered a service kit for my Pathfinder 2.5 which comes to R1040. For the same parts Nissan DTM Helderberg charged me about R2650 ex vat last year when they did a service.

For the oil, which is listed as G Energy 10w40, they charged me R851 ex vat. Takealot has 5 litres for R299 vat incl. I need 1.5 cans so it should come to R450 at retail prices, which is less than half of the dealer price.

The labour cost, which is literally removing and replacing these parts, was R2250 ex vat.

I had to replace my discs and pads on my X-Trail long time ago. On 25000km they were warped. Nissan quoted me around 7k for new discs and pads.

Went to the Spares shop. Bought ATE discs and pads that came to R2100. Installed them myself.

Also recently asked for a price on the two gas struts for the rear glass on my Pathfinder. R3500. EACH!
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    I had to replace my discs and pads on my X-Trail long time ago. On 25000km they were warped. Nissan quoted me around 7k for new discs and pads.

Went to the Spares shop. Bought ATE discs and pads that came to R2100. Installed them myself.

Also recently asked for a price on the two gas struts for the rear glass on my Pathfinder. R3500. EACH!
    I can't believe the craziness. I was also quoted over R3000 per front disc recently. Gas struts you can pick up for super cheap at McNaughtans. You just need to give them a sample and the desired pressure.

I can't believe the craziness. I was also quoted over R3000 per front disc recently. Gas struts you can pick up for super cheap at McNaughtans. You just need to give them a sample and the desired pressure.
    Yup. Still need to visit my branch. Don't get the time.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

6. The Following User Says Thank You to IcePick88 For This Useful Post:

[QUOTE=El 4 Romeo;4656468]So I ordered a service kit for my Pathfinder 2.5 which comes to R1040. For the same parts Nissan DTM Helderberg charged me about R2650 ex vat last year when they did a service.

The labour cost, which is literally removing and replacing these parts, was R2250 ex vat. If I do my own service, which will take me an hour or so, and my inspections, I'll SAVE ABOUT R5 000 over Nissan's final service charge of R6 714.29 last year.

How do they justify these insane markups?[/QUOTE]

They have to pay there staff, meet obligatory business administration cost, pay rent, electricity, water, insurance, security and still make a profit.

cost of doing business in brick and mortar setting with staff has gone up a lot in the last couple of years-

Mr. Karol Joszkowski
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

probably why decided to sell the service kits. I love the idea of the service kit for that price. I now just need to find something to do with polin filters. They are stacking up.

not the only company. However some milk it others have decided where money is and where not.
    Mecer - as an example. I have an inverter that seems to have blown the main board. They say the board is cheap but deem it as to expensive to replace due to labour. Consumable item.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ing?highlight=

I was in the same boat as you.

I think its better to just DIY
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FWM For This Useful Post:

At 66 it is not so easy to service the car yourself but I am still doing it. Not only Nissan, VW and Toyota is also very expensive. Some parts I prefer original from Toyota but still thousands
    cheaper to do it yourself.

I hate the greasing of the propshafts and front steering links the most so I normally do it first then the rest of the service is a piece of cake. Gearbox and diff oils also a pain but only every
    50k km so I mentally prepare myself for it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to PierredW For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post
    At 66 it is not so easy to service the car yourself but I am still doing it. Not only Nissan, VW and Toyota is also very expensive. Some parts I prefer original from Toyota but still thousands
    cheaper to do it yourself.

I hate the greasing of the propshafts and front steering links the most so I normally do it first then the rest of the service is a piece of cake. Gearbox and diff oils also a pain but only every
    50k km so I mentally prepare myself for it.
    Nissan Service kits on the on the Spain spec, it is hard to beat the stealers price.
    Aftermarket
    Oil filter gud/wix/kolbern schmidt R800-850
    Polin filters Gud R360 for pair.

with these 2 your are already over dealer price. I IIRC the fuel filter is 30k interval item.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Dwayne P For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post

How do they justify these insane markups?[/QUOTE]

They have to pay there staff, meet obligatory business administration cost, pay rent, electricity, water, insurance, security and still make a profit.

cost of doing business in brick and mortar setting with staff has gone up a lot in the last couple of years-
    I'm not so sure that that justifies the markups. I'm paying the retail price for the parts, which I'm sure they get at a lower price. But even on the retail price that they charge, they charge an extra 200% if the mechanic just sees the parts. This is just robbery. They've already charged quite a bit for the service labour so that extra R2000 is literally the cost of the parts going from the counter to the mechanic.

There is no way someone can argue that they can charge you R2000 more for parts that cost you R1000 to begin with, just because the parts moved from the counter to the workshop. I'm sure if one did lifestyle audits of dealer principals, one would think differently of how much of this is related to overheads and staff costs.
    Last edited by El 4 Romeo; 2021/06/08 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ing?highlight=

I was in the same boat as you.

I think its better to just DIY
    Agreed. I've done my own vehicles now for the last 6 years, even the major services and repairs, because I don't trust dealerships. I actually spoke to a Mercedes workshop manager recently who told me how a mechanic had left for another company, and then they found parts that were paid for by customers that he hid under his work station. So they'd quote for big part replacement while it could be something small that actually fixed the problem.

I wanted to trust the dealer process but I really wasn't impressed the last time with how they left oil in very visible places in my engine bay.

If I keep the vehicle 5 more years, I'd save R25k in 2021 rands, 20 up and down trips to drop and collect the car, and the uncertainty of not knowing if clean oil was really put in. I'm willing to take the slight knock from the interrupted FSH by the dealer when it comes to sales time. I can use receipts and my phone camera to document oil drains, refills and filter replacements for the next owner.
    Last edited by El 4 Romeo; 2021/06/08 at 11:05 PM.

In a perfect world, where you trust them and they do what they say, and do it right, the dealer stamp carries a lot of weight.

But we are in the real world, where you cannot trust that they would do what they say and do it right, thus the dealer stamp for me carries no weight.

After my last encounter with Nissan, I started servicing my vehicle myself, literally the hardest thing for me to do is replace the aircon/cabin filter because of it's unconvertible position.

Do it yourself, keep the invoices, save your money.
    When the world ways on my shoulders....all I need is some time in the ocean with my octopus....everything shall pass...

I acknowledge that pit bulls and other large breed dogs can be dangerous.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dracos13 For This Useful Post: