Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Snomaster vs Engel vs NL

I dont believe you will go wrong with any of them performance wise but I have heard some negative comments regarding back up service from two of them.

I have not used a snow master but I do like the remote that comes with some of them but it just doesnt seem as well built as the others. I cant justify that comment.

Engel and national Luna will give you great service. I prefer the design of the NL fridges though.

I used and will continue to use only National Luna purely based on the amazing, friendly service I have experienced from them in the past. I currently have a 52ltr twin and a 90ltr twin. My 90 ltr is only a few months old but my 52ltr is probably close to 10 years old now and because i have looked after it with a cover from day one it is like brand new still. Very happy with both their performance and power consumption and have no plans to change them.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    I think Sneaky Pete is referring to the "Expedition" series by Snomaster?

https://snomaster.co.za/product-cate...utdoor-series/
    Aaah thanks, was thinking of the NL.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    I think Sneaky Pete is referring to the "Expedition" series by Snomaster?

https://snomaster.co.za/product-cate...utdoor-series/
    Ah yes pardon and thanks. Craig it was on one of those special offers from SM. An absolute bargain. If you wish I can try and get you one. You might have to wait a bit. I have a contact. Let me know what size etc.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Ah yes pardon and thanks. Craig it was on one of those special offers from SM. An absolute bargain. If you wish I can try and get you one. You might have to wait a bit. I have a contact. Let me know what size etc.
    Apologies if out of order, but can I take you up on that offer, even though it wasn't addressed to me?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Free2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Free2 View Post
    Apologies if out of order, but can I take you up on that offer, even though it wasn't addressed to me?
    Sure. Lets see what they put up on offer. I just hope for your sakes it is as good as was other years. I will drop you a pm and then we can chat on whatsap.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

I have both a NL and a Snomaster. Have had issues with both, NL after sales service was very good but Snowmaster was awesome. The SM is 6 years old and they replaced compressor and paid for courier costs from George, no cost. NL just stopped working, much newer than SM they replaced compressor but I had to pay R1000 for courier. Not complaining, both are great products but if I had to buy new now my vote would go to Snomaster.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Davian74 For This Useful Post:

Hello everyone. I need some advice on which fridge/freezer to buy, preferably from someone who has experience with all 3.
    The options are an Engel 40l (used), or Snomaster 40l, or NL Trailboss 50l. The Engel will obviously be top of everyones list but the downside is that it is used and thus the warranty is no longer valid. (For such a reputable company, they are unable to find the warranty status using the serial number, but that is a different discussion)
    Also because it is used, price is not a factor because it costs the same as the other 2 new.
    So my question is, does the so called legendary reliability outweigh the potential of a breakdown. I would not like to be that 1 in a million statistic. Or should I play it safe and go for one of the other 2 which are new and come with lengthy warranties.
    All input will be appreciated.
    Buy new, stuff does go wrong, a lot better to have it repaired uhder warranty than paying for it to be fixed. I dont believe you will go wrong with any of them performance wise , have all three my Engel ( very noisy) and waited a long time for repairs, have 2 x 90l NL - no problems with either in over 4 years, snomaster -- doesnt seem to be as well built, fussy with voltage,but like the remote- otherwise no problems either.

National Luna has great service- friends bought a 90l second hand and had a problem with the controller - it turned out to be a warranty problem and NL shipped a new controller at no charge withing 2 days .
    Performance and power consumption are similar, especially in 35+ deg temps.

Putta
    Landcruiser 105
    BL Miskruier B850

13. The Following User Says Thank You to putta For This Useful Post:

Doing a lot of research as to which to buy between NL and SM. Yes it's a "how long is a piece of string" scenario. Debates are 50/50 between the two. Many saying NL or SM going for X amount of years with no problems.

But many recent posts on different forums have thrown a spanner in the works wrt the newer NL vs SM. It seems that newer fridges seem to have higher failure rates. Can anyone shed some insight into this. I have been advice to look towards SM due to less failures.. Advice given via different repair companies ie seeing less newer SM vs NL arriving for faults...regardles of fault degree.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

As far as the portable fridges concerned I view SM and NL on par. But, where NL focusses on a niche market, SM has a very strong foundation in Industrial and Hospitality markets. That separates the SM for me as choice number 1
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 126 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted >60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 125 000 km

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

If you got the money:

Dometic CFX3

I have two fridges, an Engel 40 liter and one in my Landy. Work well, eat battery.

That's why I bought the Dometic for my sailing boat. Works as well on far less amp's

Long story short....

I can clearly see on my dual battery system that the NL uses less power than what my Snowmaster did...
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C 4X4 Auto Diesel

Lynx Bashplate
    DIY Drawer system
    DIY Drop Fridge Slide
    My ULTIMATE dual battery box

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SinWolf For This Useful Post:

Hello everyone. I need some advice on which fridge/freezer to buy, preferably from someone who has experience with all 3.
    The options are an Engel 40l (used), or Snomaster 40l, or NL Trailboss 50l. The Engel will obviously be top of everyones list but the downside is that it is used and thus the warranty is no longer valid. (For such a reputable company, they are unable to find the warranty status using the serial number, but that is a different discussion)
    Also because it is used, price is not a factor because it costs the same as the other 2 new.
    So my question is, does the so called legendary reliability outweigh the potential of a breakdown. I would not like to be that 1 in a million statistic. Or should I play it safe and go for one of the other 2 which are new and come with lengthy warranties.

I have experience with all 3 and have a Waeco 50l in the camp trailer too to comment on.

More than 20years ago I bought a second hand 40l Engel from Andrew St Pierre White, without handles and with a lot of stickers on it. I made replacement handles and bought a cover for it.

The 40l Engel was a bit small and we could only use it as a fridge or a freezer so we bought a double door Snowmaster, I think it was a 74l, the two compartments could run at different temps and it had a monitoring system that was a great nice to have.
    The Snowmaster was permanently in the back of our Land Cruiser in a loading system. It was just out of warrenty when the LED lights stoped working and not long after that both temp probes had to be replaced. The lids also formed ice around the rubber seals all the time, quite irritating and the cover zip broke on our test weekend. Needles to say that the Snowmaster went with the Land Cruiser when I sold it as I had NO trust in it.
    The Waeco also packed up once, just died on us but was fixed and is still going strong. I am not dependant on it as we replaced the Snowmaster with a Duel National Luna, I think 80l. The Luna has been camping a lot but was not on a tour yet, what I can say is that a friend of mines 4year old 50l Luna packed up and was quite expensive to fix, also took months to repair, so much that he had to buy another one to do a trip before his was fixed.

Back to the well used 40l Engel I bought many moons ago, it is doing duty in my dads camper van and never missed a beet. When I asked a good friend of mine who works on camping fridges to service it, he gave me the look and told me "you do not fiddle with something that is not broken"

In hind sight, I could have bought 2 x 40l Engel's instead of the big Luna, they are robust, no nonsense fridges and I have heard of very few people who ever had problems with theirs. I would buy a second hand Engel in a heartbeat.

Just my 2c with camping fridges.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonsai For This Useful Post:

The Engel fridges from decades ago are of very, very good quality and are hugely reliable.
    Several years ago Engel started sourcing it's compressors from a different manufacturer and since then the reliability has gone down.

Get an old, dented Engel fridge, not a newish one and you should be fine!
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

24. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    The Engel fridges from decades ago are of very, very good quality and are hugely reliable.
    Several years ago Engel started sourcing it's compressors from a different manufacturer and since then the reliability has gone down.

Get an old, dented Engel fridge, not a newish one and you should be fine!
    That's interesting. I always thought that there's only one company who manufactures those compressors i.e. Sawafuji.

I think it is hard as a private person, to give you here a good advice.

Each brand is working on their Models, will give them upgrades, will work on the reliablility of the product.

- So a fridge I did bought 5 years ago - may not be exact the same what you can buy today$
    - If here someone is mentioning "brand y did stop working after 2 years" - it can be one of a million.

A tour operator or someone who rent overlanding vehicles could help more. But those guys always will prefere the cheaper product.

Personally I would alway prefere Engels, because they are good, repairable and you can get maintenance if neccessary - in many countrys.

I did bought two of them at 2011, and after some trips and 110`000km they are still strong. But I never had something else - so I`m not qualifyied to answer....

trippin

27. The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4tripping For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4tripping View Post
    A tour operator or someone who rent overlanding vehicles could help more. But those guys always will prefere the cheaper product.
    They will tell you they use a fridge that they dont have to send a vehicle 1000km or what ever from base to exchange a non working fridge.
    Johan Kriel

29. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

We have had an engel fridge for as long as i can remember from our mozam trips when i was around 5 years old (im 22 now). The engel is still humming away, only thing we have had to change is a fuse. Highly recommend. i think we have one of the anniversary ones but either way, its like a japense vehicle it will never let you down

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thomas Corben For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bent ove View Post
    If you got the money:

Dometic CFX3

I have two fridges, an Engel 40 liter and one in my Landy. Work well, eat battery.

That's why I bought the Dometic for my sailing boat. Works as well on far less amp's
    I have the Engel 40L model MT45F-S and it is very light on power. Tests done in Australia shows it to be one of the most efficient fridges, even compared to newer models from some other brands.

Ran it from only my starter battery for a few years. Definitely a no nonsense tough reliable fridge.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2021/06/19 at 09:30 AM.
    Lourens Goosen

I don’t trust half these tests on YouTube for example. I know of a test done locally by one of the top off road YouTube guys who put frozen items in the bottom of the one fridge to make it appear better than the others. The winner was determined by how much free stuff they gave him and when they stopped suddenly he changed brands and didn’t return the free stuff, he sold it.

look at the stickers they have on their vehicles or the brands they continually rave about and just know those brands are giving away more than the others and therefore don’t trust a thing they say!
    Last edited by BruceT; 2021/06/19 at 12:36 PM.
    BruceT
    ZS6EBT

Defender 130 Puma

34. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BruceT For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast