Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Snomaster vs Engel vs NL

Hello everyone. I need some advice on which fridge/freezer to buy, preferably from someone who has experience with all 3.
    The options are an Engel 40l (used), or Snomaster 40l, or NL Trailboss 50l. The Engel will obviously be top of everyones list but the downside is that it is used and thus the warranty is no longer valid. (For such a reputable company, they are unable to find the warranty status using the serial number, but that is a different discussion)
    Also because it is used, price is not a factor because it costs the same as the other 2 new.
    So my question is, does the so called legendary reliability outweigh the potential of a breakdown. I would not like to be that 1 in a million statistic. Or should I play it safe and go for one of the other 2 which are new and come with lengthy warranties.
    All input will be appreciated.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Free2 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Snomaster vs Engel vs NL

Quote Originally Posted by Free2 View Post
    Hello everyone. I need some advice on which fridge/freezer to buy, preferably from someone who has experience with all 3.
    The options are an Engel 40l (used), or Snomaster 40l, or NL Trailboss 50l. The Engel will obviously be top of everyones list but the downside is that it is used and thus the warranty is no longer valid. (For such a reputable company, they are unable to find the warranty status using the serial number, but that is a different discussion)
    Also because it is used, price is not a factor because it costs the same as the other 2 new.
    So my question is, does the so called legendary reliability outweigh the potential of a breakdown. I would not like to be that 1 in a million statistic. Or should I play it safe and go for one of the other 2 which are new and come with lengthy warranties.
    i have a 40l engel which is in the back of my bakkie (with canopy) and its working hard, (heat dust and its not even strapped down) and not a days problem, i also have a NL although a 90L which is in the bush lapa and is now 2 years old and i just replaced the fan with its last service. we going in July to khaudum so will se how it works. other than that no issues with both. cant comment on snowmaster.

2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hein100 For This Useful Post:

A tough decision, I am sure more people will come along with their inputs shortly. It is the exact same decision we had to make almost three years back. Just we were looking in the 60l range.

For me it is like trying to decide between a used Porsche Cayenne, a new BMW X5 and a Merc ML.

We (read SWAMBO) in the end wanted a new fridge, she wouldn't even let me cut the power cable to put a BH plug on, had to buy a new one. So that cut our choice to either a NL or Snomaster. In the end we bought a Snomaster 60l, waited for a special on Takealot, got a cover and remote with it. The Snomaster was bought on price as the special made it substantially cheaper than any other option. To date it has operated faultlessly in some extreme temperatures.

Not an easy decision, and I am sure I haven't been of much help but good luck .
    Mike

Out in the bush!

2012 Amarok BiTDi 4Motion
    1956 Series 1 (now in boxes, Covid delayed the rebuild)
    1999 Land Cruiser 105 EFI

6. The Following User Says Thank You to AfricainHD For This Useful Post:

I don't own any of above, but here is my input:

Roughly 6 years ago, purchased a 2nd hand fridge, since then it's cost me R5k in repairs (on 2 separate occasions) - Problem is, you don't know how it was looked after by the previous owner, there's no service record as with cars. If I take the purchase price back then, and the repairs, I could have bought a new one.

So, if you can afford a new fridge, rather buy new. You get warrantees, back up, spares etc. Not having owned a Snomaster or NL, you can't go wrong with either, from what i've read the back up, spares and service is great, with NL maybe a nose length ahead. NL would be my next purchase when my fridge lets go again. (hopefully not)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

I think between those 3 not much difference. All good reliable fridge/Freezers. I will go for new rather than second hand. I had a Engel for 15 years before the cooling unit decided it had enough, repair cost R5500. I decided to bought a new NL 52 as replacement for the Engel.
    Last edited by Francois111; 2021/06/08 at 10:31 AM.
    Francois

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois111 For This Useful Post:

Yup, it's like choosing between a blond, redhead and a brunette. All 3 does the job and very much about the one that tickles your fancy. This one has more curves here, that one has more there.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, might not be factually correct, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Some good advice I was given. First find out who repairs these fridges ie someone authorized by different brands to do their repairs.

Then phone up the person /s to find out which fridges they do the most repairs on and what those repairs are and costs.

You will then have your choice.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

14. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

I have had all three. All 3 does the job equally well and is in my view equally reliable. Had small issues with all of them but the Engel was the most difficult to get repaired. Seems like spares and service centers not as easily available as the other 2.

Currently I have 2 NL's and a Snomaster. My go to fridge is my 52L NL Weekender.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gjs For This Useful Post:

I had the 40l Engel and currently own a 60l and a 85l Snomaster.

The Snomasters is noticeably quieter than the Engel!

Also look at what you get with the deal? Snomaster includes the baskets, cover and the awesome remote monitor in the price.

Check/compare the insulation thickness of the fridges? Snomaster 60mm vs NL Trailboss 50l 42mm

As mentioned in other replies, I would stay away from a second hand Engel.

Last edited by DC Polokwane; 2021/06/08 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Had/have all of them. Many like the SM, me not. Engel become too expenses nowadays. So I stick to NL. Having 2 x 90l for some years now.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/06/08 at 12:58 PM.
    Johan Kriel

20. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Buy the one that fits in your available space. That is more important than you may think. eg, SM has low profile freezers.
    My take is that all 3 are very reliable, with supe backup bu bot SM and NL.
    If you cam wait, SM have HUGE spexials over Black Friday, but also often diring the year, if you can get to their showroom in Edenvale.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

The fully functional remote Snowmaster offers is the deal breaker for me, just love it.
    SJ 413 - "98 model coily, until son gets license
    Mitsubishi Triton DC 3.2 A/T 4X4
    2007 Hilux 2.5 D4D SOLD

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Johan Engelbrecht For This Useful Post:

If you have the time, here is a very comprehensive 7 part series testing 4 major brands of 40L fridges.

Engel
    Snomaster
    ARB
    Waeco

Unfortunately the NL is not included.

https://youtu.be/Go1sRObjh-s
    2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 3.0 D-4D Melville and Moon seat covers, Gobi-X rock-sliders, Maniac4x4 front bumper, Safari snorkel, Rhinocab canopy, 2" Tough Dog Suspension with 40mm Adjustable shocks, Maxxis AT811s, Gobi-X rear bumper.
    2005 WJ JEEP Grand Cherokee 2.7 CRD sold 2" Zone coil lift, Rancho 9000 shocks, 245/75/R16 Bighorn 764s, Rola cargo carrier, Escape Gear seat covers, Auto Technic "Bulli-Prop" DC propshaft, Maniac4x4 front bumper.
    BMW F30 320i M-Sport - daily drive

26. The Following User Says Thank You to wtrlan For This Useful Post:

40L will need less battery than 50L
    and it will take up less space
    and you still have more fridge in B-Lapa ...

... go New SnowMaster ...
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2021/06/09 at 06:25 AM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BushNomad For This Useful Post:

I have a 40 liter snow master for 5 years going still strong also have its own cover and also a new 60 liter snowmaster now issue with remote control the rest i cant give feedback

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Boslover For This Useful Post:

Considering the options given in the OP:

Snomaster
    Engel (Only because its used)
    NL

2014 Toyota Hilux DC 4x4 - Legend 45
    2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Mountain Edition (Sold...)
    Bloemfontein

Just to add to the above. You even get a Snowmaster "Extreme edition" which has 70mm insulation. I bought one. No problems and that remote is an absolute winner. Has built in tiny solar charger or by usb, torch, alarm, can read volts, temp and adjust up or down from tow vehicle. Water drain in bottom. Rubbers on basket to prevent chaffing. Special door spacers to allow vent while in storage, baskets, remote and cover all included in price. I like very much . Changed the 12V wire with Hella to BH type there and then.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Just to add to the above. You even get a Snowmaster "Extreme edition" which has 70mm insulation. I bought one. No problems and that remote is an absolute winner. Has built in tiny solar charger or by usb, torch, alarm, can read volts, temp and adjust up or down from tow vehicle. Water drain in bottom. Rubbers on basket to prevent chaffing. Special door spacers to allow vent while in storage, baskets, remote and cover all included in price. I like very much . Changed the 12V wire with Hella to BH type there and then.
    Size and cost pls
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

35. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter26 For This Useful Post:

I had a 40 lit Engel which gave me excellent service for around 12 years and then it started giving issues with not freezing...I gave it a proper cleaning by removing dust from the fan etc and it lasted another year after that and then just stopped working. Took it to a Guy in Lynwood which said the only option to repair is to do a danfoss compressor modification as the engel compressor couldn't be repaired. The price for this was not much less than buying a 40 lit snomaster unit at the time...I obviously opted for the snomaster unit which has been working faultlessly for the last couple of years. I also have a snomaster in my bushlapa which is going along just perfectly...Both of them operate 24/7..Hope this helps
    Last edited by Paul Botha; 2021/06/09 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Botha For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Size and cost pls
    I think Sneaky Pete is referring to the "Expedition" series by Snomaster?

https://snomaster.co.za/product-cate...utdoor-series/
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

39. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast