Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hilux missing all the good stuff?

My colleague has been working hard and I decided to reward him with a new vehicle. He has a newish ranger but it is 2wd and so I told him to look at a 4x4. I saw a very good deal on a <1000km hilux and told him to have a look.
    He did some research and discovered that they are selling all the new hiluxes minus a whole bunch of electronic features due to the global chip shortage. Funny thing is they are not telling the customers about it.
    He then asked the sales guy about it, and he confirmed that yes, a whole bunch of features are missing, but they are being told not to mention it to anyone.

This sounds particularly disingenuous form Toyota. Not sure if this is official policy, or just in Midrand area, but not a great look. We always try to equip our customers with knowledge insofar as we are aware and then let them make decisions.

Default Re: Hilux missing all the good stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    My colleague has been working hard and I decided to reward him with a new vehicle. He has a newish ranger but it is 2wd and so I told him to look at a 4x4. I saw a very good deal on a <1000km hilux and told him to have a look.
    He did some research and discovered that they are selling all the new hiluxes minus a whole bunch of electronic features due to the global chip shortage. Funny thing is they are not telling the customers about it.
    He then asked the sales guy about it, and he confirmed that yes, a whole bunch of features are missing, but they are being told not to mention it to anyone.

This sounds particularly disingenuous form Toyota. Not sure if this is official policy, or just in Midrand area, but not a great look. We always try to equip our customers with knowledge insofar as we are aware and then let them make decisions.
    What features are missing?
    Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

Honestly sounds like a BS story to me. It is not so simple to just take out features.

But I may be wrong!
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

I've got a 2.4 SRX Hilux and willingly bought it without features (That's what we Toyota sheep do)

That being said, I don't think this is true. The micro processor shortage is a huge concern and we've lost close to 20% of our production for the year due to it. I would rather think that the shortage will influence the lead-times and stock availability rather than the spec level (my opinion though)
    Pieter le Roux

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Redman For This Useful Post:

If ever, I decide to buy a colleague a new car, she better be smoking hot and easy
    That Mighty Amarok
    ---------------------------------------
    Swart Tires wat ek self gekoop het
    Pull over wat my ouma gebrei het
    Vensters waar deur ek kan sien
    Engine voor
    Exhaust agter

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Snyks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    What features are missing?
    Apparently the camera based lane assist, and camera based adaptive cruise control and hilll decent control are all deleted.

If you look at their website you will find models with a "21" code added.

These are the de-specced models, the pricing reflects this as well

2021 FJ Cruiser

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

The top spec new hilux is sold with out features like
    - radar cruise control
    - emergency braking/crash avoidance

and a few others I cannot remember.

This is true and as a result of the chip shortage.

Toyota SA cannot get the parts in so they resolved to assemble these units without the "tech package".

At the start there was 2 different model variants an it was advertised as such. With and without the tech package

The easiest ways to spot the difference is by looking at the front badge of the top spec bakkies. The tech package has a radar mounted behind the badge and the badge is therefore smooth and looks like epoxied in (like the new prado). The later revised models have the normal looking toyota badge.

As I understand the waiting list is exceptionally long for the tech package as the chip shortage has not been resolved yet.

This is only true for the Legend 4x4 models (including the RS) with regard to the radar cruise control, auto emergency braking and lane-keeping assist (i.e everything that relies on the radar and front camera to operate). On the Toyota website, these "De-specked" models have a "21" behind their name and the "normal spec" is still available to order (although there is a massive waiting list).

All the other models are unaffected.

Cannot comment on the salespersons' instruction not to mention it though.

"Normal" spec Hiluxes (with all the fancy stuff) go for a lot of money on the second hand market now!
    Last edited by StevieLegend45; 2021/06/08 at 08:48 AM.
    2021 Toyota Hilux 2.8 Legend 4x4 AT
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT (SOLD)

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StevieLegend45 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Redman View Post
    I've got a 2.4 SRX Hilux and willingly bought it without features (That's what we Toyota sheep do)

That being said, I don't think this is true. The micro processor shortage is a huge concern and we've lost close to 20% of our production for the year due to it. I would rather think that the shortage will influence the lead-times and stock availability rather than the spec level (my opinion though)
    I beg to differ. I have a German Friend that is about as high up the food chain in BMW SA as you can get, and he said that the options list is getting shorter and shorter due to the silicone shortage.

This shortage is real and catastrophic. So the plants have the option to stop, or work around the chip shortages. My colleague that is working in Michigan has at least three plants that he is meant to call upon standing due to chip shortages.

As for integration, the integration team can take features out just as easily as add them, as they have the source code to make the changes.

I don't really object to the change. Just the stealthy and underhand way it is introduced.

The missing features part is true. I was looking at the Hilux a few weeks ago and the salesman told me about this. It is the radar cruise control, lane keep assist etc. on the 2.8 models. It is because of the chip shortage.
    He said they expect these features to start filtering back into the spec by the end of the year, but no guarantees obviously.

He told me without me asking him about is.
    Ford Ranger XLT Double Cab 4x4
    Auto Union 1000 (DKW)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRocket View Post
    The missing features part is true. I was looking at the Hilux a few weeks ago and the salesman told me about this. It is the radar cruise control, lane keep assist etc. on the 2.8 models. It is because of the chip shortage.
    He said they expect these features to start filtering back into the spec by the end of the year, but no guarantees obviously.

He told me without me asking him about is.
    Just done a specs compare on their website and it still shows all that stuff being present.

Just done a specs compare on their website and it still shows all that stuff being present.
    Probably a site glitch, but the price is lower, so the spec will be lower

2021 FJ Cruiser

See attached Name:  Screenshot 2021-06-08 090340.png
Views: 1482
Size:  121.3 KB
    2021 Toyota Hilux 2.8 Legend 4x4 AT
    2017 Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 MT (SOLD)

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StevieLegend45 For This Useful Post:

All true regarding the "despecced" Hilux. I've been on a waiting list for a full spec for over 5 months now.

There is no such suggestion from Toyota SA to not tell customers about the "despec"of the Legend bakkie!
    As a matter of fact Salesmen are encouraged to tell possible customers about it . If a customer is looking for the fully specced model it will take very long to supply. We sold a few despecced bakkies here and all customers are aware of it. And the fact that it is cheaper than the fully specced one should tell already that Toyota is not hiding anything , (cannot say that about that salesman though).
    Jörg Reddig

1995 Discovery V8 ( Thor intake system , controlled by Spitronics Mercury 2)
    Land Rover 3.9 V8 " Defender 90 " Under Construction
    2021 Hilux Legend D/CAB ( Company Vehicle)

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JWR For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the correction, I was wrong on the down speccing of vehicles

One way to get around the shortage, embrace it. Quite clever.
    Pieter le Roux

I missed the days when people bought bakkies for their working abilities and the driver was responsible for keeping the bakkie in it's lane or not driving into a wall.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

083 399 2046

27. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Uys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    I missed the days when people bought bakkies for their working abilities and the driver was responsible for keeping the bakkie in it's lane or not driving into a wall.
    I have a vehicle fitted with lane assist from the factory. Tried it once for fun and have it permanently switched off. Very irritating! Same with hill descend control; I cannot see a practical application.

Radar cruise control is very nice though.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

So I guess somewhere someone is going to make money upspeccing the downspecced Hiluxes at some point in the future with the missing items?

* If you read this and do this, I want a cut
    Last edited by WernerDL; 2021/06/08 at 11:45 AM.
    2018 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 4X4
    2016 Mazda CX-3 2.0 Dynamic Auto - Sold
    2012 VW Tiguan 2.0TDi Bluemotion - Sold
    2009 Ford Fiesta 1.6 Titanium 3 door - Sold

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast