Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default HILUX GD6 AUTO searching for gear after driving over a speedbump

This is frustrating. When you near a speedbump you slow down and maybe touch the brake. You pass the bump and try to accelerate. Nothing happens untill the revs go over 2000
    This also happens going round a traffic circle. To an outsider it must sound like a clutch slipping on a manual gearbox.

Is there a way to circumvent this function.

HILUX DC 4x4 AUTO 2016. Since new.
    Hoe meer mense ek ontmoet hoe meer hou ek van die Kabeljoue in die Lagune

Default HILUX GD6 AUTO searching for gear after driving over a speedbump

Quote Originally Posted by Klaas Vakie View Post
    This is frustrating. When you near a speedbump you slow down and maybe touch the brake. You pass the bump and try to accelerate. Nothing happens untill the revs go over 2000
    This also happens going round a traffic circle. To an outsider it must sound like a clutch slipping on a manual gearbox.

Is there a way to circumvent this function.

HILUX DC 4x4 AUTO 2016. Since new.
    Toyota dealers have a remap for this problem. Let them do it next it goes for a service
    Last edited by RoddieJ; 2021/06/07 at 05:16 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RoddieJ For This Useful Post:

Default Re: HILUX GD6 AUTO searching for gear after driving over a speedbump

Gr8
    Thx
    Good news!

This is frustrating. When you near a speedbump you slow down and maybe touch the brake. You pass the bump and try to accelerate. Nothing happens until the revs go over 2000
    The newer ones still do it to a certain extent, trick is not to accelerate too much after the bump. Same with overtaking, if you put foot down it gear back too many gears, then the revs are too high and no torque and poor acceleration. But check if Toyota can improve it!
    Johan Kriel

Mine had the software 'update'. It did not make a huge difference but then mine never did it as severely as some people says theirs does.

I think it may have a bit to do with driving style. I found that if I decrease speed quite bit before the speed bump and then gently step on the accelerator to increase revs slightly before the front wheels reach the speedbump, the issue does not occur. Then I start to increase speed a bit just before the hind wheels are over the speed bump, no sudden acceleration after the speedbump.

The technique does not always work and some speedbumps are short and high which makes it tricky, but there is a certain amount of eliminating the issue with a small change in driving style. If a person is an aggressive driver, always wanting to go full speed, hurtling over speedbumps then that person will need to learn to live with what the vehicle does.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

I find that mine will drop to 1st gear if I slow down to <20kph using the brake. That's when it's sitting in 1st when you accelerate after the bump and you feel like you should be in 2nd.

If I coast over the bump, below 20kph, but without braking, there's no issue. If I do brake, but I stay above 20kph, there's no issue.

I love my bakkie, but good god, I hate that gearbox.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~135000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 35000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post:

Gr8
    Thx
    Good news!
    It does not make the problem go away, just a little more tolerable. Was not aware that it appeared on the 4.0l. On the 2.8l the problem is made worse by turbo lag and on the 2.4l the problem is barely there.

Would be interesting to know if anyone with a throttle controller has noticed a difference with regards to this

Quote Originally Posted by mplester View Post
    Would be interesting to know if anyone with a throttle controller has noticed a difference with regards to this
    Mark, I am told that the gearbox ratio's were developed for much slower Asian driving conditions. You still got contacts who can comment on this?

I installed a throttle controller on my d4d auto and it made a big difference. A lot more responsive.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Mark, I am told that the gearbox ratio's were developed for much slower Asian driving conditions. You still got contacts who can comment on this?
    They state that the ratios are not the reason, although change to these is more to get lower emissions. The software update was done to help it become more responsive at light throttle when at low speed. This is why I would be interested to know if a throttle controller would be beneficial. I know this works on the Jeep which also suffers from long throttle travel with little response over the 1st 20mm of this travel

The Isuzu MUX runs exactly the same Aisin gearbox as the Toyota. It suffers from the same malady as described by Toyota owners i.e. fondness of gearing down. Although I believe the software must be different because it is not as pronounced in the Isuzu (from what I gather here). The only way to overcome this is to tip it over to tiptronic. It becomes second nature after a while. A Throttle Response Controller (I have one installed) makes zero difference.
    Last edited by jaconell; 2021/06/09 at 08:42 AM.
    Jaco Nell

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    The Isuzu MUX runs exactly the same Aisin gearbox as the Toyota. It suffers from the same malady as described by Toyota owners i.e. fondness of gearing down. Although I believe the software must be different because it is not as pronounced in the Isuzu (from what I gather here). The only way to overcome this is to tip it over to tiptronic. It becomes second nature after a while. A Throttle Response Controller (I have one installed) makes zero difference.
    Thank you for the info

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    The newer ones still do it to a certain extent, trick is not to accelerate too much after the bump. Same with overtaking, if you put foot down it gear back too many gears, then the revs are too high and no torque and poor acceleration. But check if Toyota can improve it!
    Thx JLK
    I am not an aggressive driver, never was. My automatic must do its job without me having to think about it. But is seems to get worse. Maybe because I am getting irritated🤗.
    Going in for service 17 June. Will see and report.
    They call it a "TRANSMISSION ECU Update"
    Still do not have the term of this function. Anticcipated Gear Searching??

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Klaas Vakie For This Useful Post:

Thank you for the info
    Still do not understand the reason for developing such a system. Why fix something that is not broken.
    There was no function like that in all my previous sedan autos.
    🤔

Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Well I sold the Fortuner due to that silly gearbox. was even changing gears up and down all the time even on speed control on a level road.
    had it back numerous times to two dealerships, and NO change. Going down Magoebaskloof with trailer and the thing changes down to redline the engine in 2nd, I think?? Never had an idea which gear was selected.
    It has to do with the implementation.
    My new ride Touareg V6 tdi is also using an Asian box, and man is that thing sweet. If your not in a hurry, just put it in Donkey gear (D), and all is handled smoothly, only the revcounter and gear selector info tells you what is going on. Put it in Speed, (S) and things happen rapidly.
    Still cannot understand how people can live with that gearbox.
    The word Dzombo is derived from the Tsonga word Dzombolo meaning ‘to wait for something that is slow in coming.
    Named after one of the Magnificent Seven, sadly killed by a Poacher Oct 1995 @ 50 years old.
    Dzombo1 Ex Army LR TD upgraded to 200 Tdi
    Dzombo2 1997 Discovery 300Tdi man
    Dzombo3 2000 Jeep GC 3.0 Diesel a/t
    Dzombo4 2005 Hilux KZTE Legend 35
    Dzombo5 Toyota Fortuner GD-6 2.8 Auto 4x4.
    Platkar 2017 VW Touareg V6 Tdi.
    Camping in a Bokwa.

I am pretty certain it has got nothing to do with the gearbox but more the control/management system. Never Toyota's strong point. My Hilux does the same at speedbumps and I now try do adjust my driving style. With varying degrees of success!
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

My GD6 Fortuner does this as well - but as others have said, once over the bump, let the momentum take you a bit over the bump before accelerating. Seems to help for me anyway.
    What does annoy me though is when coasting down a hill, picking up speed, the gears downshift on their own, and revs stay high.. whyyyy.
    ./______________________\
    |___________(.)__________|
    {___---"\_FORTUNER_/"---___}
    |........................................|
    [_2.8 GD-6____________.4x4_]
    .\______________________/
    ..||||||______________||||||
    _|___|______________|___|__

What are these speed bump things you Capetonians talk of?
    "Never give up! Even Moses was a basket case."

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Steady For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LukeHawk View Post
    What does annoy me though is when coasting down a hill, picking up speed, the gears downshift on their own, and revs stay high.. whyyyy.
    Yeah, engine braking done wrong. Drives me nuts. 2 things:
    1. Only happens if you touch the brakes. If you're 100% against the engine and never touch the brakes, my Hilux doesn't do it.
    2. If you are in S mode (S6 generally) it won't do it. Only does it in D.

Still ###. I don't mind engine braking, but this box drops 1 gear too many.

ZS5CMA
    His: '17 Hilux GD-6 4x4 A/T ~135000km
    Hers: '19 Mitsu Eclipse Cross ~ 35000km
    Semi-retired: '12 Polo BlueMotion ~350000km
    Burned to a crisp: '05 WJ 2.7CRD
    https://www.instagram.com/fstopza/

27. The Following User Says Thank You to cainslie For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast