Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Namibia Trip

Default Re: Namibia Trip

We have a trip planned from 9/07/2021-26/07/2021 and only going up as far as Sossusvlei / Aranos area.

Are there any restrictions on foodstuffs we can bring in (meat/poultry etc?).

Thank you in advance

Quote Originally Posted by atplay View Post
    We have a trip planned from 9/07/2021-26/07/2021 and only going up as far as Sossusvlei / Aranos area.

Thank you in advance
    I found this:

Duty-exempt are items for personal use, 1 litre liquor, 2 litres of wine, 50ml perfume, 250ml Eau de Toilette, 400 cigarettes or 50 cigars, 250g tobacco, other new or used items to the value of N$ 2000. All things exceeding this limit including food, are subject to strict tariff regulations. This also applies to travellers from South Africa. Gifts up to a value of 200 N$ and all personal items are duty-free.
    For questions phone customs in Windhoek: Tel: 0612099111.

Taking meat across the border into Namibia. (Updated 2018)

The following rules apply to the importation of meat into Namibia:
    • 25kg per person older than 12 years and 3 per vehicle (mutton, goat and beef), are allowed for own consumption only and no permit is required.
    • If for commercial purposes and more than 25kg then import permit(s) are required and import levy is payable with Meat Board.
    • 10kg of biltong and processed meat (polonies).
    • Meat may be taken into the north above Grootfontein, but no meat may be taken out from there.
    • No pork and chicken may be imported for own use into Namibia
    Last edited by Walnut; 2021/06/20 at 12:57 PM.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

Default Namibia Trip

Quote Originally Posted by atplay View Post

Thank you in advance
    There was no restrictions (by officials) at the time we went in or out. There are guidelines on the internet about limitations on booze, cigarettes, quantities of meat, etc. Depending on your route to Sossusvlei, you may be able to buy most of your foods on the way up. Iím thinking about the Spars at Keetmanshoop and Mariental
    Last edited by vnielsen; 2021/06/20 at 12:59 PM.

Thank you all, much appreciated!

Guys, come over with as little fuel, meat, beer etc

We have the best beer, meat etc and our fuel is cheaper
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

We have been going to Namibia every year from SA, mostly over the December holidays, for as long as I can remember, always through the Vioolsdrift/Noordoever border.

This year we passed through on the 29 April 2021 and for the first time ever were shown to a new "Scan" section. Here they searched our vehicle and every other vehicle in front and behind us and then issued us with a temporary import permit for the vehicle for the duration of our stay.
    We were heading into to Damaraland and Koakoland, so I had a few extra vehicle spares, they asked for invoices and when I told them I don't have them, they wanted an estimate of the value of the new and used parts from me, so they could charge me import VAT. I assured them it was of little value and they let me through after searching the vehicle quite thoroughly.

When we returned to SA via Noordoever, we were again referred to the "Scan" office and I was asked for and had to hand in my temporary import permit and declare again.

So just be aware that there seems to be a renewed interest in and enthusiasm for searching holiday travelers for imports at the Namibia border. How long it will last is yet to be seen. Hopefully not long.
    Last edited by Searcher; 2021/06/20 at 09:02 PM.

Yes, you get the over eager border type. Once my toothpaste was squeezed out looking for diamonds

Just play cool and donít get angry.
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

We entered Namibia at Ariamsvlei on 25th March this year. No issue whatsoever and when we wanted to declare a recently bought Nikon camera, they said it isn't necessarily. It shows that you never can tell what will happen at a border post.
    We normally do what NYS suggested, go in light and stock-up in Namibia.

Quote Originally Posted by Searcher View Post
    We have been going to Namibia every year from SA, mostly over the December holidays, for as long as I can remember, always through the Vioolsdrift/Noordoever border.

This year we passed through on the 29 April 2021 and for the first time ever were shown to a new "Scan" section. Here they searched our vehicle and every other vehicle in front and behind us and then issued us with a temporary import permit for the vehicle for the duration of our stay.......
    We also had it (we passed through going north on 2 May, just after you), but they asked about....meat.

My standard answer to questions about "what is in there" is "personal effects". So after telling them there was no meat (there actually wasn't, we had heard about a ban due to foot and mouth in RSA), they were happy with the car details from the licence disk, ie VIN etc. And no search. Whew.

On the way out heading south (30 May), we didn't have to do a single thing other than stamp passports at immigration.....

My opinion: you can never know exactly whats going to happen at a border, even if you know it well.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

Thanks guys. Very helpful info.

We plan on not really taking anything up food wise, will stock up there. Will just take the usual coffee etc.

Just gonna buy some booze etc as it's a Sunday.

Looking forward to the trip, been wanting to go for ages now, our first stop is Klein Aus Vista for a couple of nights, then we go is Sossusvlei, then towards Seeheim. Apparently there is a beautiful Quiver Tree forest near Keetmanshoop that I would like to see.

Finally we spend a few more nights on the orange river.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

Thanks for sharing the information.

We plan to enter Namiabia on 12 Aug '21 and hope to see the best of your country. We camp in Etosha for six nights. Considering the comments on the park conditions is there anything we can do to improve our stay?

We will exit from Namibia in the North on 2 Sept '21.

Regards

Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by ernies View Post

We plan to enter Namiabia on 12 Aug '21 and hope to see the best of your country. We camp in Etosha for six nights. Considering the comments on the park conditions is there anything we can do to improve our stay?

Regards

Ernie
    Be self sufficient, they do have electrical points and water at the campsites, but do not plan to buy anything from the camp shops.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

Regards

Ernie
    Which camps in Etosha?

Thanks AboutAfrica, will keep that in mind.

Roelf: Okaukuejo, Halali and Namutoni, spending two nights in each camp.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ernies For This Useful Post:

I second that, been our Etosha routine for the past 20 years.

Thanks AboutAfrica, will keep that in mind.

We visited Etosha in April/May this year, for the 1st time in 30 years. We had a booking for Okaukuejo on our way back from the Caprivi. On advice from travelers we met at Caprivi we changed our booking to Namutoni. The camp itself is fairly run-down, but neat and very nice large shady sites. The Covid lockdown had taken its toll with the large outdoor bar area deserted and looks like it will never open again. The shop is small, but stocked with a reasonable variety of essential stuff, including beer. The pool was fine as well. Because Namutoni is so close to Tsumeb, there were quite a few day visitors out for a picnic. All that said, my wife is keen to return for a longer stay.
    We exited the park at Okaukuejo, which looks like a nice modern place catering for European tourists. We just eyed the campsite from a distance and it looked fine, but definitely with less shade.
    There are quite a few bad stories floating around about Etosha, but we didn't see that and we are keen to return for a longer stay.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210404_162254.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	624864Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210404_070321.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	624865
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2021/08/01 at 07:28 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RoelfleRoux For This Useful Post:

Agree with you Roefle, but do keep in mind that the shops there are currently a hit&miss scenario due to the whole covid story. They keep their orders to a minimum which is understandable, you could be lucky and catch the shop a day or two after deliveries were done or be unlucky and arrive 3 days later and shop is basically empty.

When we were there last staff were friendly, everything was clean and it was bliss basically being alone (not what I should be saying as we all depend on tourism).

Namutoni is nice yes as you say with the shade etc and also a nice waterhole, Halali's camp sites are close together and you need to search for shade, pool is nice but not the best waterhole. Am not a fan of the campsites at Okaukuejo, so usually prefer to book a self catering unit and their waterhole is a must.

My favorite though is definitely Olifantsrus, totally different experience to all the rest.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AboutAfrica For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3