Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Namibia Trip

Default Namibia Trip

I have just returned from a 3 week trip to Namibia, entering and exiting at Vioolsdrift, traveling up to Epupa Falls, up river to Kunene River Lodge, down through Owamboland, through Etosha, down the coast to Swakopmund, Sesriem, Luderitz, Ai-ais and home.

Happy to answer any questions while it’s still fresh in my mind?

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vnielsen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Namibia Trip

Did you bother to take any anti-malarials?

Thanks
    ---
    Dale
    WhatsApp: +64-21832765 (Currently in New Zealand)

2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara V6 2.7
    2006 Toyota Hilux DC V6 4.0
    2007 Nissan Pathfinder V6 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    Did you bother to take any anti-malarials?

Thanks
    Yes, we took Mozzietec tablets while up north. Temperatures were around 44-45 degs, so lots of mozzies

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vnielsen For This Useful Post:

Hi and thanks for the offer.
    Today my wife had a project postponed so we are planning a 3 week trip up to the koakaveld... pretty much the same route you have just completed.
    I am hoping to explore the river beds, possibly drive along the kunene and visit Etosha if possible to get a late booking.
    Hoping for late June departure.
    was the area busy and do you think July holidays... 9 to 26 July should be avoided.
    Any very special highlights. I did a similar trip about 30 years ago. Some things there will never change
    Tanna

Quote Originally Posted by Tannaman View Post
    Hi and thanks for the offer.
    Today my wife had a project postponed so we are planning a 3 week trip up to the koakaveld... pretty much the same route you have just completed.
    I am hoping to explore the river beds, possibly drive along the kunene and visit Etosha if possible to get a late booking.
    Hoping for late June departure.
    was the area busy and do you think July holidays... 9 to 26 July should be avoided.
    Any very special highlights. I did a similar trip about 30 years ago. Some things there will never change
    Tanna
    Hi Tannaman,

Tourism was very quiet and one could see the effects that C19 has had on the industry…..many places have just started re-opening, or are running on limited staff. They must have had some serious rains earlier this year….the Sesriem canyon and Sossusvlei still has water. The rivers that flow into the Kunene must have flowed strong because many of the river beds are still full of rocks and pebbles that have been washed down. The first river crossing from Kunene River lodge to Epupa has only large boulders left to cross. The sand all washed away.

Etosha facilities are at its worst! Even the Namutoni fort is closed to tourists. Showers are blocked, lights don’t work, but the animals were great!

Two highlights were the hot air balloon trip over sossusvlei. They have discounted the price for SADC citizens to half! The other highlight was the trip down to Bogensfel Archin the Sperregebied.

The gravel roads are still better than most tar roads in RSA. We passed many graders on our trip.

July school holidays are normally busy in Namibia, but i think the risk of C19 and the current economic climate will impact on numbers. Most of the people we saw and met were either retired or foreign youngsters in rental vehicles.

Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by vnielsen View Post

Happy to answer any questions while it’s still fresh in my mind?
    Question, did you take any pictures and if yes why have you not posted any?

Tannaman, I would not stress too much about bookings this year especially if camping. As mentioned tourism is at an all time low so you can basically travel at your leisure and keep an eye open for discounts.
    Walter aka "Meerkat"
    slightly modded 02' 105 series 1FZ-FE
    https://www.facebook.com/kepanamibia/

My heart beats to an African Bush drum...

Quote Originally Posted by AboutAfrica View Post
    Question, did you take any pictures and if yes why have you not posted any?

Tannaman, I would not stress too much about bookings this year especially if camping. As mentioned tourism is at an all time low so you can basically travel at your leisure and keep an eye open for discounts.
    Hehe, some pics are coming…..

Thanks a stack for the info.
    Id love to have some idea of your itinerary.
    if your typing is anything like mine and you don’t mind a phone chat, that mat be way easier. My number for what’s app is 0832990072 or please pm me your ph no if acceptable .
    tanna

Sounds like a great trip.

I have a few questions, what was the border times at vioolsdrift? And, did you buy a Namibia Sim? Is it worth buying one.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post

I have a few questions, what was the border times at vioolsdrift? And, did you buy a Namibia Sim? Is it worth buying one.
    Thx, vioolsdrift took about 30 mins to exit and just over an hour to return.The tests and waiting for the results took up most of the hour. No, we used WiFi to call or access mail or WhatsApp. Most places have wifi now, even at Epupa falls

Thanks for the offer of info. We plan to do a 3 week trip soon in 2 vehicles, but not camping.

Do you know of anywhere we could do some dune driving in one's own vehicle, but with a guide that takes you for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by shady View Post
    Thanks for the offer of info. We plan to do a 3 week trip soon in 2 vehicles, but not camping.

Do you know of anywhere we could do some dune driving in one's own vehicle, but with a guide that takes you for the day?
    Hi Shady

There are a few companies that offer this….if in luderitz, contact Coastway Tours or Red Dune Safaris if you are in Swakopmund. They can both assist. We did a day trip south into the sperregebied with coastway tours.

Hi Shady

There are a few companies that offer this….if in luderitz, contact Coastway Tours or Red Dune Safaris if you are in Swakopmund. They can both assist. We did a day trip south into the sperregebied with coastway tours.
    Great thank you. Was this in your own vehicle? I'm simply salivating at driving up a big sand dune and seeing how the vehicle performs.
    But I'd like to do it with a guide who knows where one can go and where it's safe to do so....

Great thanks.
    I need to go to Windhoek for a 3 day work trip mid to end July.
    So, may as well go to Etosha. Will take my Defender and either camp or chalets.
    Might only book when in Windhoek.

Do you think Etosha may be better in August with repairs done ?
    Never been to Etosha. I can plan July or August.
    Defender Kalahari
    Series 3 SWB
    Series 1 De Luxe Cab Pickup
    Series 1 Station Wagon 88''

Its absolutely worth it to buy a sim, costs N$7.50 I think. For the peace of mind of being able to make a call without it costing a fortune when needed is worth the N$7.50. Ok you have to load some airtime credit on to use it, but subscribe to AwehGig and you get 1Gig of data, 200 sms's and 100 minutes of talk time all valid for 1 week for N$39. When your week is up, then just load another AwehGig and away you go. 3 weeks connection to data and calls all for the measly price of N$125.00. Its a no brainer.

Roaming in Namibia is not cheap, a whole lot cheaper and less expensive when you buy an MTC sim. No RICAQ required, just load airtime and its active.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by imgreg View Post
    Great thanks.
    I need to go to Windhoek for a 3 day work trip mid to end July.
    So, may as well go to Etosha. Will take my Defender and either camp or chalets.
    Might only book when in Windhoek.

Do you think Etosha may be better in August with repairs done ?
    Never been to Etosha. I can plan July or August.
    To be honest, the over nighting facilities in Etosha are pretty run down and expensive. Best to stay outside the park, much better value for money.

July/August probably one of the best times to go as animals are dependent on the waterholes.
    Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Caracal For This Useful Post:

Great thank you. Was this in your own vehicle? I'm simply salivating at driving up a big sand dune and seeing how the vehicle performs.
    But I'd like to do it with a guide who knows where one can go and where it's safe to do so....
    Yep, own vehicle, own refreshments. The guide gives you a radio for comms.

Yep, own vehicle, own refreshments. The guide gives you a radio for comms.
    Great! Thanks for the info!

Shady, pop me a PM. And I await your call so we can have a beer when you are in Windhoek.
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Definitely worth buying a SIM.

Buy at the second fuel station in Noordoewer (the more northerly one, I think its Shell). Cheap, no RICA required. There is a machine there that issues vouchers. Get Aweh Gig for $40, that also includes quite a bit of WhatsApp data in addition. Valid for a week. I think the $20 option (ie not AwehGig) also includes some WhatsApp data.

We just came back from a month in Namibia, mostly in Kaokoland, and we were quite surprised how often you have a cell connection.

BTW, I couldn't get the SIM to register in my iPad, only my iPhone.
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 SE
    2007 Fortuner 3.0 D4D

24. The Following User Says Thank You to zoneout For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast