Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 265/65R18 Offroad tyres

Hi Guys,

Battling my backside off finding decent 265/65R18 offroad tyres. Not a lot of variety in this size.

I am not a fan of BF Goodrich because I feel there are better tyres out there for what you are paying. I'm looking for a rugged all terrain or mud terrain with excellent puncture resistance and sidewall protection for overlanding.

Please can you guys give me some advice?
    Life's a garden, you just gotto dig it - Joe Dirt
    Sometimes you just gotto keep on keeping on - Joe Dirt
    Life's hard. Its even harder if you're stupid - John Wayne

2018 VW Amatrok BiTdi 4Motion

Default Re: 265/65R18 Offroad tyres

I have AT3 and quite happy after 45k km
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25

Quote Originally Posted by MudboY View Post
    Hi Guys,

Battling my backside off finding decent 265/65R18 offroad tyres. Not a lot of variety in this size.

I am not a fan of BF Goodrich because I feel there are better tyres out there for what you are paying. I'm looking for a rugged all terrain or mud terrain with excellent puncture resistance and sidewall protection for overlanding.

Please can you guys give me some advice?
    Offroad tyres for 18" rims ? Was this question rhetorical ?

On a serious note - it does not seem to be a popular size, but a quick Google shows BF Goodrish, Cooper, Grabbers, Hankooks, Maxxis, Yokohama, Pirellis etc.

Of those, I would go Coopers, Maxxis, BFG's in order of preference. Just my 2c...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Offroad tyres for 18" rims ? Was this question rhetorical ?

On a serious note - it does not seem to be a popular size, but a quick Google shows BF Goodrish, Cooper, Grabbers, Hankooks, Maxxis, Yokohama, Pirellis etc.

Of those, I would go Coopers, Maxxis, BFG's in order of preference. Just my 2c...
    Thanks for the reply Ian. I know 18's are not ideal for offroading but to fit 17's will cost me an arm and a leg and I cannot justify the even bigger expense at this time.

Thanks for the reply Ian. I know 18's are not ideal for offroading but to fit 17's will cost me an arm and a leg and I cannot justify the even bigger expense at this time.
    Apologies. That was just my strange sense of humour coming to the fore. I prefer smaller rims and bigger tyres...

I presume the tyres are for the vehicle in your signature ? If so, are there not other options in terms of profiles that one can use ? For example, I see the 285/60R18's seem to be a little more prevalent. And I imagine these would be pretty much the same rolling circumferences, albeit a little wider...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

I fitted the Pirelli AT Scorpions to my Fortuner, done 7000km so far which included a trip to Swartpan Campsite in the Kaa region of the Kgalagadi. Off road it performed more than adequate, on road it has exceptional grip in the wet with very little wind noise. The grip in the wet was what tipped the scale over the BF so I have to say I am very happy with the choice.

Check errols tyres
    Last edited by Ooba; 2021/06/07 at 04:05 PM.
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion
    2011 VW Golf GTI DSG
    2007 VW Golf GTI
    2003 VW Citi Life

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Apologies. That was just my strange sense of humour coming to the fore. I prefer smaller rims and bigger tyres...

I presume the tyres are for the vehicle in your signature ? If so, are there not other options in terms of profiles that one can use ? For example, I see the 285/60R18's seem to be a little more prevalent. And I imagine these would be pretty much the same rolling circumferences, albeit a little wider...
    Thanks Ian. I too prefer to have less rim and more tyre, espescially for offroading, but unfortunately my budget dictates at this point

I learnt a long time ago that going bigger in tyres can be quite detrimental to the way your vehicle behaves. When I went from 30' to 31' the difference was quite dramatic on the open road. It affects accelleration and decelleration quite a lot. With my Amarok being a 2.0, I don't want to bog it down with oversized tyres, hence I am opting to go larger in just 1 or 2 sizes bigger. Moving from a standard 255/60 to a 285/60 is quite a jump. Would look nice but not sure if it might rub also on the insides. My vehicle is still stock standard, no lift fitted.

Say this on Seikel's website. They recommend:

Suitable tyre dimensions for rim 7,5J x 18 H2
    • 265/65 R18 117 R\
    • But to find a decent offroad tyre in this size in our country is easier said than done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat View Post
    I fitted the Pirelli AT Scorpions to my Fortuner, done 7000km so far which included a trip to Swartpan Campsite in the Kaa region of the Kgalagadi. Off road it performed more than adequate, on road it has exceptional grip in the wet with very little wind noise. The grip in the wet was what tipped the scale over the BF so I have to say I am very happy with the choice.
    Thanks River Rat. I am very sure that there will not be a lot of tyres that can beat the Pirelli's in terms of performance, but I need a tyre with a stronger sidewall and puncture resistance. Too my knowledge, the Pirelli's only have a 2 ply sidewall if I am not mistaken. Also, I would prefer a more offroad orientated or more agressive tread pattern. All terrains are generally speaking not that good in the mud

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudboY For This Useful Post:

Thanks River Rat. I am very sure that there will not be a lot of tyres that can beat the Pirelli's in terms of performance, but I need a tyre with a stronger sidewall and puncture resistance. Too my knowledge, the Pirelli's only have a 2 ply sidewall if I am not mistaken. Also, I would prefer a more offroad orientated or more agressive tread pattern. All terrains are generally speaking not that good in the mud
    Got you, everything is a compromise in my case it was to match the following parameters

• 80% tar versus off road.
    • 90% of off road would be gravel road.
    • 60% of the non gravel off road would be sand the other 40% would be split between loose rock and mud.

So in the end the mud capability would represent less than 1% of my needs and being good in mud generally makes a poor performer on tar. But to be fair that's an overlander's calculation if you intend testing the 4x4 capability of your vehicle then the parameters are different. As for punctures I will say this that the recent trip to Kaa had us going off the beaten track on numerous occasions because of fallen trees and no road maintenance so if ever there was a heighten chance for punctures that would have been it and zero punctures was the outcome. Then again I did over 10 000kms off road in Mabua, Moz, Namaqua and Gonarezhou on Dunlop ATs without a puncture too so who knows perhaps it's got nothing to do with the tires.

Got you, everything is a compromise in my case it was to match the following parameters

• 80% tar versus off road.
    • 90% of off road would be gravel road.
    • 60% of the non gravel off road would be sand the other 40% would be split between loose rock and mud.

So in the end the mud capability would represent less than 1% of my needs and being good in mud generally makes a poor performer on tar. But to be fair that's an overlander's calculation if you intend testing the 4x4 capability of your vehicle then the parameters are different. As for punctures I will say this that the recent trip to Kaa had us going off the beaten track on numerous occasions because of fallen trees and no road maintenance so if ever there was a heighten chance for punctures that would have been it and zero punctures was the outcome. Then again I did over 10 000kms off road in Mabua, Moz, Namaqua and Gonarezhou on Dunlop ATs without a puncture too so who knows perhaps it's got nothing to do with the tires.
    I would tend to agree with this sentiment and I have found that AT or even my current HT serve me well. Muddies look cool, but I am realistic about my off-road ambitions and sand is the thing I am most likely to encounter these days.

One thing to look out for is the LT spec! This is the light truck (I think) and tends to have a heavier sidewall construction and heavier load rating (and price!)

I have no dog in this race, but I know that many swear by BFG for puncture resistance. Anecdotally there must be something to that, even if they are horrible in the wet?

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    I would tend to agree with this sentiment and I have found that AT or even my current HT serve me well. Muddies look cool, but I am realistic about my off-road ambitions and sand is the thing I am most likely to encounter these days.

One thing to look out for is the LT spec! This is the light truck (I think) and tends to have a heavier sidewall construction and heavier load rating (and price!)

I have no dog in this race, but I know that many swear by BFG for puncture resistance. Anecdotally there must be something to that, even if they are horrible in the wet?
    The latter actually doesn't surprise me, if you have a propensity in terms of where and how you drive to pick up punctures I can understand why the compromise sways in the favor of BFGs. Having said that it would be interesting to hear how many people are realistically assessing their needs as opposed to just buying BFGs because that's what everyone else swears by.

Ironically you just described the BFGs best points, and why it stands above the rest in that application.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

So that size and the required 3 ply side wall is going to limit you to Cooper's or BF's. Also you looking at R5k per tyre. I know you said you didn't want to change to 17 inch yet, but if you look at the cost of your current setup, it's not gonna be too far off to fit 17's . Will also be much cheaper going forward, you can even try sell current setup to offset costs.

Option 2: If you go to 265/60/18 then there are a lot more options available, including the DunlopAT3G tyre at around R3300 per tyre.

Check out Errors Tyres to see for yourself: https://www.errolstyres.co.za/tyres/...All+Terrain%29
    Last edited by Walnut; 2021/06/09 at 07:18 AM.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

The latter actually doesn't surprise me, if you have a propensity in terms of where and how you drive to pick up punctures I can understand why the compromise sways in the favor of BFGs. Having said that it would be interesting to hear how many people are realistically assessing their needs as opposed to just buying BFGs because that's what everyone else swears by.
    I had BF on the car, were great and no issues. Also have my Grabber X3 on now and they are also great no issues. Difference is like R1k per tyre, so I am sticking with Grabbers.

I would love to get the Wrangler muds next, what Shuano uses now on 4x4 24/7.

Thanks Ian. I too prefer to have less rim and more tyre, espescially for offroading, but unfortunately my budget dictates at this point

I learnt a long time ago that going bigger in tyres can be quite detrimental to the way your vehicle behaves. When I went from 30' to 31' the difference was quite dramatic on the open road. It affects accelleration and decelleration quite a lot. With my Amarok being a 2.0, I don't want to bog it down with oversized tyres, hence I am opting to go larger in just 1 or 2 sizes bigger. Moving from a standard 255/60 to a 285/60 is quite a jump. Would look nice but not sure if it might rub also on the insides. My vehicle is still stock standard, no lift fitted.

Say this on Seikel's website. They recommend:

Suitable tyre dimensions for rim 7,5J x 18 H2
    • 265/65 R18 117 R\
    • But to find a decent offroad tyre in this size in our country is easier said than done.
    According to this calculator you will actually be going from a 30' to a 31,6'
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by nicktuna; 2021/06/09 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nicktuna View Post
    That's why I would go to a 265/60/18. Smaller jump and a more common tyre size.

Keep in mind, that a rare tyre size is going to cause all sorts of problems if you need to buy one out of main centres. If you can't find them easily now, that's a sign to walk away.
    Last edited by Walnut; 2021/06/09 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nicktuna View Post
    Thats correct yes, the 255/60 just doesn't have enough tire for me. Its mostly just personal preferance but I will also be gaining almost 20mm in height which will also be nice. The additional height will also help a bit when having to deflate for offroad/sand use.

Quote Originally Posted by Walnut View Post
    That's why I would go to a 265/60/18. Smaller jump and a more common tyre size.

Keep in mind, that a rare tyre size is going to cause all sorts of problems if you need to buy one out of main centres. If you can't find them easily now, that's a sign to walk away.
    Very valid point Walnut. Thanks for the advice! Something to think about

Very valid point Walnut. Thanks for the advice! Something to think about
    Im.also looking at 265/65/18 currantly have 60 profile. At thie stage pirelli and nankang on my short list. Currantly have pirelli scorpions on.

2017 VW Amarok 3.0 TDi V6 4Motion D/Cab
    2020 VW T Cross Highline R Line
    2019 Bushlapa Miskruier 1616

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast