Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What Vehicle do I consider

Find Tinus Lotz on Patrol4x4.co.za

He will find you your dream
    Don’t blame yourself over past mistakes. It’s like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 126 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted >60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 125 000 km

80 series 4.2 cruiser. Will go for long. Kilos will be higher. But they are bulletproof. Coming from me that drive a td5. I will just use my td5
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 2 td5.
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 v8i D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Instead of a Prado 120 you might want to consider the even older Prado 90 V6. You should be able to get one with reasonable mileage for a lot less than 200k. Rather spend that money on making it mechanically sound, e.g. replace lower control arms (the only real weak point on that vehicle) and swap all hoses around the engine, etc.

When I lived and worked in Tanzania, there were still a lot of Prado 90 on the road. A lot, lot more than Pajeros..
    Couldn't agree more. Get a decent mileage 90 series.
    Last edited by byaru1; 2021/06/08 at 06:51 PM.

I am not a experienced overlander and have little technical knowledge of any vehicle.
    The only experience I have is one trip from the Cape to Northen Ethiopia.

My opinion based on my limited experience is that the simpler the vehicle the better in Africa.

Older model Landrovers and Landcruisers in particular can be found in greater numbers than almost any other 4x4 , from what I observed.
    Therefore my logic dictates that spares and technical expertise for these vehicles should be more readily available.

Toyota seemed to be well represented, with major dealerships in all the larger cities.

My friend bought a Landcruiser in SA for our recovery mission of the Wrangler , for the reasons stated above.

He did another 3 tours up to Sudan , and then decided the Cruiser was overkill. He bought a regular Hilux d4d as his tool of choise for the job.
    Fuel consumption on the Hilux vs the Cruiser was probably the biggest motivation , along with ease of getting hold of spares and able mechanics to work on Toyota's above any other brand, in case of a breakdown whether minor or major.

Therefore I would recommend any Toyota of your liking before any other brand or any older Landy as a second choise.

This is just my opinion based on my once off Africa trip.

I do not own a Toyota , and am not emotional towards the brand. Just practical.

If you are looking at Defenders then try and find a Kalahari
    It has a Tdi 300 but not pre 1999. It is 2006 and 2007 Powerstoke engine.
    A little more refined than the older 300tdi the rest of the vehicle is TD5 But with no ECU and zero electronics.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Defender Kalahari
    Series 3 SWB
    Series 1 De Luxe Cab Pickup
    Series 1 Station Wagon 88''

Personally I would not spend money on a Prado 90. They are 20+ years old with mostly 300k or more on the clock. You will have to throw a lot of money at it to make it reliable and then you are still stuck with a 20 year old body.

A 120 yes that I will agree with, petrol not the diesel. A private sale 120 with the lowest kilometers possible. There's a 2008 with 240k km for R160k on Autotrader for example.

But for no more than 2 people I would rather get a DC or even cab and a half of some sort.
    Last edited by Tom13; 2021/06/08 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    Personally I would not spend money on a Prado 90. They are 20+ years old with mostly 300k or more on the clock. You will have to throw a lot of money at it to make it reliable and then you are still stuck with a 20 year old body.
    As you well know, it's really about the condition and handling, not so much the mileage. What if he can get a 300000km 90 in a better shape than a 200000km 120.? Secondly, his budget will do the talking. Will a low mileage 120 be below 200k? Thirdly, repairability anywhere on the continent. The 90 rules here.

A 120 yes that I will agree with, petrol not the diesel. A private sale 120 with the lowest kilometers possible. There's a 2008 with 240k km for R160k on Autotrader for example.
    I have no qualms with a petrol 120 especially the 3.4 if it fits within his budget.

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post

I have no qualms with a petrol 120 especially the 3.4 if it fits within his budget.
    120 has a 4.0 petrol or 3.0 diesel
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Gunston View Post
    S

On a side note..... I would prefer a manual...the disco was an automatic which was great but the auto box is to unreliable...so manual I know is the way forward. Pun intended

S
    So, If I may please ask, that you to please consider my requirements and not just give advise on because it is what you drive, but to try to advice on what have seen, read and experienced out and about in Africa.

Attachment 617769
    So here is my advice based on what I have seen on my travels, as you request.

There might well be a problem with LR's autoboxes, maybe they're not the toughest out there?

Jap autos on 20 plus yr old vehicles do not give problem. Often some owners never even change the ATF...some don't even know you can. So I wouldn't let that put me off auto.

The few landies I have seen on my travels were driven by very tough cookies who are more than comfortable with a spanner and are quite happy to do a few bits on the vehicle every other couple of days. If you are like that, then go for it.

However, if you don't like roadside repairs, and you like to get to your camp and your cold beer nice and early, it's the dreaded boring toyotas I am afraid.

If this was me, and I am not a Toyota fan boy, I would probably go for a Prado, Hilux or Fortuner. I think the D4D engine is fantastic. If I was going through Africa I would want Toyota.

After watching the latest 4wd 24/7 video about vehicles over weight, I would probably invest in a off road trailer. Help shift the weight off the car, putting less strain on suspension etc, and you can pack more into it easily.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

The OP was looking at certain vehicles so I didn't punt the Pajero in my previous post.

BUT now that only Toyotas are suggested for deep dark Africa I did a bit of online tyre kicking in Zimbabwe, Zambia, Malawi and Tanzania, where the OP will eventually end up on his dream tour. In all the countries mentioned there are loads of Mitsubishis and specifically Pajeros, for sale. I even saw a couple of the new shape Pajero Sports.

Surely all those Mitsubishis need to be serviced and repaired? Why would vehicles with no parts backup sell in such numbers?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Default What Vehicle do I consider

I have no experience in this topic, so mine is a question rather than a suggestion, but how would a Nissan np300 d/c 4x4 fare in dark Africa, if shopping below R200k it would probably have to be the 2.4 Petrol instead of a 2.5 Diesel, but from what I have heard they are slow not light on juice but super reliable? It can't possibly be slower or less comfortable than a 20 year old Defender?

Surely one with below R100k km and not being older than 5-6 years must be a better choice than a 20year old Toyota or Land Rover of sort with over 200k km on the clock?
    Last edited by Hooly; 2021/06/09 at 06:00 PM.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hooly For This Useful Post:

Default What Vehicle do I consider

2014 Nissan NP300 2.4i 4X4 Double Cab Bakkie
    https://www.cars.co.za/for-sale/used...nvale/7024070/

Something like this?
    Last edited by Hooly; 2021/06/09 at 06:46 PM.
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

As a side note to my previous post:

Mechanical spares availability is one factor, but also consider the following parts that could need replacement anywhere Africa.

Rim,s that fit your vehicle.
    Tyres that fit your rims.
    Windscreen or window replacement.
    Body panels.

You could be in any kind of accident anywhere in the world , you dont want to leave your vehicle behind anywhere in Africa. You want it fixed and be back on the road as soon as possible.

Just a few considerations off the top of my head. There are probably much more to consider.

All brands of vehicles can be found in Africa. Some stand on bricks for weeks waiting for spares and some are back on the road in a couple of days.

I love my Isuzu , and was very disappointed to see so few on the roads in the countries I visited.

It is what it is.

Toyota is the tool for Africa in my opinion.

I will spend my money on a Toyota Hilux 3lt D4D ,4x4. Put on a solid offroad bumper for those suicididal goats and deaf donkeys standing in the roads everywhere. Spend the money on strong 3ply tyres ( I personally like BF Goodrich). Have 2 spares. Upgraded suspension if you are carrying extra weight.

If you look around you could get a well kitted one that has never seen the dirt well within your budget.

Offroad trailers are a personal preference, I would prefer not to tow one through Africa. We generally pack more than we need. Consider the fact that motorcyclist have been doing Cape to Cairo ( sometimes with pasenger) and getting by with what they can carry on their bikes , that same biker will not know what to do with all the space a Suzuki Jimny has to offer. I dont see any reason why a family of up to 4 people can't get by with a double cab bakkie only.( highly subjective comment based on my style of camping , people have different needs and wants).

Researching and searching for a lifestyle vehicle is great fun. I trust that the OP will make the best choise for him and find a vehicle that will bring him years of joy and subscribe to all his needs.

Wishing you great adventures ahead!

Happy hunting.
    Last edited by Rudi Maritz; 2021/06/09 at 07:14 PM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rudi Maritz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    120 has a 4.0 petrol or 3.0 diesel
    Ah okay so the 120 was never sold with the 3.4 v6 in SA..? Many other markets they released it with a 2.7 and 3.4 petrol before introducing the 4.0

Correct and we also never had the 2.7.
    Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    Ah okay so the 120 was never sold with the 3.4 v6 in SA..? Many other markets they released it with a 2.7 and 3.4 petrol before introducing the 4.0

Cool Re: What Vehicle do I consider

When going into deepest/darkest Africa remember that the quality of fuel can vary tremendously. Some off the beaten track routes do not have petrol supplies i.e. south to and in north Luangwa.

Both Toyota’s and LR’s have good coverage everywhere. Saying that Toyota’s have greater coverage in the bigger cities is true but then the quality of the mech at the dealership is sometimes questionable. When in the “bush” then it is much the same. There are great indies found out there and they can assist with any of the brands.

I also know that if I got stuck help will be forthcoming.

PS I drive a TD5 and am proud to do so and I am fairly well travelled south of Kenya.

Telling people not to be biased is silly! But telling them to be truthful is fair. So whatever it is that you go for do it - Africa needs tourists and there is no better way (in my opinion) to do so than by the best 4x4xfar. TIC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2