Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What Vehicle do I consider

So the disco 2 was written off and got paid out from insurance. I do have the money from the insurance, and some money coming in from a small inheritance as well.
    So the question what to buy or what do I even consider buying ?
    But before everyone jumps on the band wagon and all the Land Rover guys say Land Rover, Land Cruiser guys say Land Cruiser, Hilux guys say Hliux, Mazda, VW etc...
    Let me start with budget...
    I am looking at a budget of no more than R200K...maybe at a push, max R230K to purchase a vehicle.... I do have things like a roof rack, roof top tent, drawer system, fridge, dual battery systems etc...to be completely off grid for a few days, which I would just need to install in the new vehicle. So, I think I am pretty much sorted in that front.

So now the decision is vehicle choice....but let me explain something quick. I am sure everyone who gets into overloading has a dream trip of sort. My/our dream trip is to go to the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater. The ultimate photo I would like to "recreate" is attached. Obviously because of covid and everything, this trip is not the next trip on the list but it is the end goal, obviously with other trips into Southern Africa before hand... I will then move the goal post once completed.

So when it comes to vehicle choice, I have some ideas. Speaking to some Land Rover people I have heard that a TD5 is not the way to go if I want to go deep into Africa, but rather a TDi, as its easily repairable. The TD5 is fine for going into Southern Africa etc... but not deepest darkest Africa...(just what I've heard) If it is a Land Rover then I assume defender would be the only way to go.
    Next is Land Cruiser....but I have no idea as to which one to even look at..there are so many, from FJ (which FJ), Prado, 100 series,200 series and the list goes on on on on.... Land Cruiser models gets me terribly confused, but I do know that reliability is more likely going to be better than a Land Rover but that also depends on who and how the vehicle was previously looked after, as with any vehicle, I guess.
    Also possibly is Hilux...but don't know the extent of parts and ease of repair etc...

On a side note..... I would prefer a manual...the disco was an automatic which was great but the auto box is to unreliable...so manual I know is the way forward. Pun intended

So what vehicles are people using to go into deepest darkest Africa, and not just the flavour of the month ?

So, If I may please ask, that you to please consider my requirements and not just give advise on because it is what you drive, but to try to advice on what have seen, read and experienced out and about in Africa.

Name:  AAA9C516-25F9-45F1-AE69-1487C74C3463_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views: 896
Size:  69.6 KB

its a ....

2003 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 ES auto facelift - ​Written Off - sold to insurance
    Ham: ZS6GS
    ORRA: Z152

Default Re: What Vehicle do I consider

If you want to use the same roof rack you already have, it then means you are having to stay with a disco 2. I have not heard of roof racks swopping between vehicles.

Just a question? Why do you not mention the pajero at all? There are many of them in Africa (friends went to Congo and saw so many he came back and bought one for himself) but I am also going to be honest here and say I am biased to this brand not just cause of it being an underdog in SA but also cause of its heritage in 4x4 worlds and the reliability is amazing. For 200k you could get a decent gen 4 or a gen 3 with a few nice to have mods already done.

At 200k you will get a very well sorted defender 300tdi (which is my land rover choice) as you can get an older one and spend some money on it to get it perfect.
    Last edited by allandell; 2021/06/07 at 03:42 PM.

Current: Pajero 3500 V6 24v LWB M/T Gen 2.5
    Previous: Pajero 3.2 Did LWB A/T
    Previous: Colt 2.8tdi D/C 4x4 Extreme

One Heart: Land Rover Defender Puma 110, 2 x TD5 110
    http://oneheartint.weebly.com/

Sorry about your Disco but that is life
    I have never gone further that Zambia , but people that I know have only used Toyotas apparently spares etc are good
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by allandell View Post
    If you want to use the same roof rack you already have, it then means you are having to stay with a disco 2. I have not heard of roof racks swopping between vehicles.

Just a question? Why do you not mention the pajero at all? There are many of them in Africa (friends went to Congo and saw so many he came back and bought one for himself) but I am also going to be honest here and say I am biased to this brand not just cause of it being an underdog in SA but also cause of its heritage in 4x4 worlds and the reliability is amazing. For 200k you could get a decent gen 4 or a gen 3 with a few nice to have mods already done.

At 200k you will get a very well sorted defender 300tdi (which is my land rover choice) as you can get an older one and spend some money on it to get it perfect.
    Darn, you beat me to it!

*Hedgehog rolling his eyes*
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jens78 For This Useful Post:

Well good luck betting a decent defender for 200k their prices have gone mad
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

After having owned a 300tdi and Td5 Discoveries I would go for the Td5 everyday, if I cannot have a V8 petrol. My 300tdi did not make 200k km's before it popped an engine and the it popped some more as it seems there are not many people that know how to recon that engine. The 300 Tdi is a gem as long as it lives in a very narrow operating envelope, outside of that it dies quickly.

I have done that Serengeti trip, in a V8 Disco1.

Ok, read and reread your requirements.

Not having done that specific trip, but having owned a Disco 2 (v8) Pajero Gen 3 GLX and currently a Prado 120 v6 my personal recommendation would be a well looked after pajero gen3, if you can still get your hands on a GLX that would be my choice since it has less tupperware to worry about and really is a no frills, spacious, comfortable and reasonably economical vehicle.

In my (limited) African overlanding experience the majority of issues we've experienced and/or seen was due to poor maintenance, overloading and people just plainly doing stupid things. Having traveled through some really tough conditions with very old vehicles we've not once needed spare parts on the trips.

I've only had two vehicles leave me stranded next to the road (in sunny SA), that was my highly modified CJ jeep and no prizes for guessing, the disco 2.

Quick summary of my experience with the two vehicles I've owned that I would do this trip with. The Pajero and the Prado.

The Prado has the long range tank, feels a lot more solid (no rattles) and is possibly slightly better in tricky offroad situations.

The Pajero definitely has more packing space, feels more planted on the road and the engine/gearbox combo works really well .

Irrespective of which vehicle models you look at, I strongly suggest focusing on the service history and overall condition of the vehicle instead of the make/model.
    Always take the slow road.
    Gerrit Fourie

You don't want to go on a diet just to make your clothes fit.
    I would not limit myself to what vehicle would fit my equipment, rather try buy the best vehicle i can for the money and even if i have to sell or swap my gear out to suit the new vehicle.

Looking at your suggestions, let me rather tell you which vehicles NOT to look at:
    You mentioned Toyota FJ. If you are talking about the FJ Cruiser (there is only one model in SA), it would most probably be out of your price range AND it only got about 500 kg payload.
    Prado: for your budget you would probably be looking at a rather high mileage 120 V6.
    I don't think the D4D Prado is a great vehicle to take that far north.
    Instead of a Prado 120 you might want to consider the even older Prado 90 V6. You should be able to get one with reasonable mileage for a lot less than 200k. Rather spend that money on making it mechanically sound, e.g. replace lower control arms (the only real weak point on that vehicle) and swap all hoses around the engine, etc.

When I lived and worked in Tanzania, there were still a lot of Prado 90 on the road. A lot, lot more than Pajeros.
    About 80% of vehicles were Toyota of some form, Japanese imports, in Dar at least.
    When I was looking for a vehicle,I was advised against the Pajero, as it takes a lot longer to find spares and it's more difficult to find someone who is willing and able to work on one.
    Due to the overwhelming majority of Toyotas on the road, it's easy to find spares and a workshop.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

OK this is a very VERY interesting thread.

I'll give you my 5c worth.

I've owned a Defender 300tdi, a Pajero 3.5 v6, 2x Hilux D4d, Amarok BiTdi, and a TDV6 Land Rover 3. All lovely vehicles in their own right.

The 300Tdi is probably one of the most basic piece of machinery on the road today. Its reliable and spacious with oodles of modification options. long in the tooth but cheap to repair and maintain. The only problem is its LOUD, SLOW and CRUDE. When i took mine to Kgalalgadi - by the time i got to Upington i was buggered - total sensory overload for me. As much as l loved mine i cannot see myself back in one - i'm probably getting old...

Pajero Gen 3 are simply amazing IMHO. Auto box and engine combo is brilliant. Reliable as a crowbar, capable, comfortable, and still fairly modern. Would be high up on my list. Only problem is most have high miles.

Hilux D4D DC - comfortable enough, reliable enough, spacious enough, capable, economical enough, and and and. - This would be my #1 choice. At a push you can pic up a nice one for 200-230k if you look around. Mine has 330k on the odo and still feels great.

Hope this helps somwhat.

Current: AMAROK BITDI 4MOTION
    Ex: HILUX D4D 4x4 DC
    EX: Land Rover D3 TDV6 SE
    EX: Land Rover Defender 110 300 Tdi
    EX: Mitsubishi Pajero 4x4 LWB V6 Blister
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Baviaans, Richtersveld, Tankwa Karoo, Kgalagadi, Botswana, Addo, West Coast, Southern Namibia

I honestly cannot understand how Pajeros are always suggested.
    Their used prices (and mileage) is almost worse than a land cruiser.

Im sure they are very nice to drive, and reliable, but R200k and you get a car with 250 000kms on? No thanks
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post

Im sure they are very nice to drive, and reliable, but R200k and you get a car with 250 000kms on? No thanks
    Great suggestions
    Always take the slow road.
    Gerrit Fourie

......because they do 400k kms with a smile!

Bostoe

Also, cause not everyone wants Tupperware....

Current: Pajero 3500 V6 24v LWB M/T Gen 2.5
    Previous: Pajero 3.2 Did LWB A/T
    Previous: Colt 2.8tdi D/C 4x4 Extreme

One Heart: Land Rover Defender Puma 110, 2 x TD5 110
    http://oneheartint.weebly.com/

Buy this: https://www.webuycars.co.za/buy-a-car/EEB2E4339
    and use some spare money to take it to Arnold and do some preventative maintenance
    Triton 3.2 Auto 4x4
    Qashqai 2.0 2+

Y60 Patrol (4.2 litre petrol straight 6) would be my personal choice. There's a beauty for sale on WeBuyCars with 213k km for R139 000 ('96 model).
    1995 300tdi Defender 110 "Ouboet"
    2018 Renault Duster 1.5dci 4x4

19. The Following User Says Thank You to K Marshall For This Useful Post:

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...70910401717509

And a trailer.

Joking aside if you get get a well looked after Prado 120 V6 that would be my vote.
    Pieter Greyling
    Of all the paths you take in life make sure a few of them are dirt-John Muir
    ORRA: Z85

-Pajero SWB 3.8 V6
    -BMW F800GS

Since someone mentioned a V6 Prado

https://www.autotrader.co.za/car-for...do/vx/26019124
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    That is just crazy expensive for such a old model. Also why would you want a rollcage inside the vehicle? Unless it has been used hard offroad maybe. That will surely put many buyers off ..
    Can buy a 2006/7 model for the same amount of money and maybe even lower mileage and have the 5 speed auto which is a much better gearbox.
    Johan Marais

Toyota L/Cruiser Prado 4.0 VX AT 08

Quote Originally Posted by Gunston View Post
    So the disco 2 was written off and got paid out from insurance. I do have the money from the insurance, and some money coming in from a small inheritance as well.
    So the question what to buy or what do I even consider buying ?
    But before everyone jumps on the band wagon and all the Land Rover guys say Land Rover, Land Cruiser guys say Land Cruiser, Hilux guys say Hliux, Mazda, VW etc...
    Let me start with budget...
    I am looking at a budget of no more than R200K...maybe at a push, max R230K to purchase a vehicle.... I do have things like a roof rack, roof top tent, drawer system, fridge, dual battery systems etc...to be completely off grid for a few days, which I would just need to install in the new vehicle. So, I think I am pretty much sorted in that front.

So now the decision is vehicle choice....but let me explain something quick. I am sure everyone who gets into overloading has a dream trip of sort. My/our dream trip is to go to the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater. The ultimate photo I would like to "recreate" is attached. Obviously because of covid and everything, this trip is not the next trip on the list but it is the end goal, obviously with other trips into Southern Africa before hand... I will then move the goal post once completed.

So when it comes to vehicle choice, I have some ideas. Speaking to some Land Rover people I have heard that a TD5 is not the way to go if I want to go deep into Africa, but rather a TDi, as its easily repairable. The TD5 is fine for going into Southern Africa etc... but not deepest darkest Africa...(just what I've heard) If it is a Land Rover then I assume defender would be the only way to go.
    Next is Land Cruiser....but I have no idea as to which one to even look at..there are so many, from FJ (which FJ), Prado, 100 series,200 series and the list goes on on on on.... Land Cruiser models gets me terribly confused, but I do know that reliability is more likely going to be better than a Land Rover but that also depends on who and how the vehicle was previously looked after, as with any vehicle, I guess.
    Also possibly is Hilux...but don't know the extent of parts and ease of repair etc...

On a side note..... I would prefer a manual...the disco was an automatic which was great but the auto box is to unreliable...so manual I know is the way forward. Pun intended

So what vehicles are people using to go into deepest darkest Africa, and not just the flavour of the month ?

So, If I may please ask, that you to please consider my requirements and not just give advise on because it is what you drive, but to try to advice on what have seen, read and experienced out and about in Africa.

Name:  AAA9C516-25F9-45F1-AE69-1487C74C3463_4_5005_c.jpeg
Views: 896
Size:  69.6 KB
    Your budget determines the options. So, here goes.

1. Very top of the list, if you want a spare and repair assistance from any part of Africa will be Prado 90 series. The 3.0 diesel or 3.4 petrol.

2. If budget allows, the Prado 120 3.0/3.4 or cruiser 100. But they are not as widely supported as the 90 series.

3. The 2nd and 3rd gen Pajero are your last bet. But even then nothing beats the 90 for your "darkest" Africa, in your own words.
    Last edited by byaru1; 2021/06/08 at 06:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast