Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Exide 105aH

Default Exide 105aH

Is this exide deep cycle battery any good?
    all I can get where I am

Default Re: Exide 105aH

Need to buy in the next hour.
    any comments on the battery please

How long is the warranty and what do they cover?

Price?
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post
    Is this exide deep cycle battery any good?
    all I can get where I am
    Where are you?
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Default Re: Exide 105aH I am in Bela Bela and the price is R2293 with a 2 year waranty.

Need to buy in the next hour.
    any comments on the battery please

Better than Willard and Sabbat
    Johan Kriel

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post:

Do not have experience with the deep cycle battery itself but Exide is known to me since childhood and according to the price it is not to expensive and since you are in Bela Bela go for it.

2016 Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4 Dc
    2021 Bushlapa Kewer 2480

An old name that garners respect.

They are made by First National Battery.

Why Deep Cycle - can you charge it properly and easily. If OK to this, go for it, cant see you being sorry or doing much better with anything else in a similar class and price range.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2021/06/07 at 01:34 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Using it with a mecer inverter for wifi and laptop during load shedding. Therefore it needs to be deep cycle.
    but I dont know if exide makes a good deep cycle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    An old name that garners respect.

They are made by First National Battery.

Why Deep Cycle - can you charge it properly and easily. If OK to this, go for it, cant see you being sorry or doing much better with anything else in a similar class and price range.

Using it with a mecer inverter for wifi and laptop during load shedding. Therefore it needs to be deep cycle.
    but I dont know if exide makes a good deep cycle?
    The Exide and Raylite from Battery Centre is the same SMF100/101 made by FNB. It is also sold by Ellies. It can be deep cycled with out damage a number of times but not everyday. For normal use stay below 50% DOD.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2021/06/07 at 03:15 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Bought one from Battery Centre December. After 1st camp, I noticed the Victron usage over night was not that much, but battery voltage did not look lekker. Contacted the number on the battery to find out what voltage level is 50%. 12.2 was the advice, but 12.1 under load. So I tested it and got about +-21AH out of it. Well, Batery Centre said there is something wrong with my setup, so he gave me another, with advice that I will/should get full load @50% as provided. Did not hook it up at all. Straight home, on the charge a bit more, and then tested it. 27AH, of the expected 52 at 12.1V cutoff. Load at 2.5amps. Well, I got refunded. Any battery I would buy these days, I would like to test it. In comparison, I bought a second hand 240AH with my trailer. Was a year old. Same test resulted in 94AH of 120 @50%. That is almost 80% capacity at 50% or 12.1v under load.

I know if you don't have to tools to check it, it might be tricksy, but if you can, check your battery(ies) you buy. I would.

Cz.

EDIT:

If you already bought it, test it. If it is way off, take it back, else, keep it.
    Last edited by CeeZee; 2021/06/09 at 08:50 PM.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CeeZee For This Useful Post:

Holy cow.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Quote Originally Posted by CeeZee View Post
    Bought one from Battery Centre December. After 1st camp, I noticed the Victron usage over night was not that much, but battery voltage did not look lekker. Contacted the number on the battery to find out what voltage level is 50%. 12.2 was the advice, but 12.1 under load. So I tested it and got about +-21AH out of it. Well, Batery Centre said there is something wrong with my setup, so he gave me another, with advice that I will/should get full load @50% as provided. Did not hook it up at all. Straight home, on the charge a bit more, and then tested it. 27AH, of the expected 52 at 12.1V cutoff. Load at 2.5amps. Well, I got refunded. Any battery I would buy these days, I would like to test it. In comparison, I bought a second hand 240AH with my trailer. Was a year old. Same test resulted in 94AH of 120 @50%. That is almost 80% capacity at 50% or 12.1v under load.

I know if you don't have to tools to check it, it might be tricksy, but if you can, check your battery(ies) you buy. I would.

Cz.

EDIT:

If you already bought it, test it. If it is way off, take it back, else, keep it.
    Wow theres not maybe something wrong with the test apparatus or you are really bad luck with batteries.
    2017 Hilux 2.4 SRX D/C 4x4 2012 Cross Polo [mamma s'n]

http://travel.webshots.com/album/558867451ncpSPZ

I'm running the same Exide now for 5 years for loadshedding on a Mecer 1200VA 720W 12V Inverter for my TV, Explora router and a light and it never let me down ..some times up to 3 hours easy.I must add that for the first 3 years loadshedding was only a handfull of times in the area I stay.
    Last edited by Lofty; 2021/06/10 at 06:36 AM.
    2017 Hilux 2.4 SRX D/C 4x4 2012 Cross Polo [mamma s'n]

http://travel.webshots.com/album/558867451ncpSPZ

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lofty For This Useful Post:

Well, I think all off the above could be correct. Bad luck with batteries, faulty test apparatus, other "apparatus" faulty, et al.

Could have been a bad batch, sitting too long, faulty meter. Well, all I can say the chap at BC and the supplier where help full over the phone. I never received a phone call back from BC. Any how. I cross checked my meter, and with old battery as per description, and if memory serves correct, with amp meter, and still use it on LiFePo4 cells to test them, etc. Calibrated? Nope, not by a long shot. But, the shot above is quite long.

BTW, if the manufacturer reads this, and want to see some images and discussion I still have left on my phone, I'll be more than help full. This is not brand busting. They can PM me. Always good to do some quality insurance in the field, if I where in this kind of business. That's why I phoned them first to get 1st hand voltage cut-off points, after all. And, maybe I can learn a lot from this as well. Who knows?

Previous deep cycle lasted 6 years. (Note: I never tested the capacity! Don't think there was much left to test, to be honest.)

If it works, it works! Happy camping. Batteries can run dry, but hout, vleis en eis? Eikonna!

Cz

EDIT:
    Sorry, have to edit. May take on products is this day and age, Chinese or local, is not if it will fail, but when. Over the last 6 months, I dealt with 3 suppliers related to this forum, which their products/services failed. 2 of them, which one is above, stands by their product and or refunds you, or leaves you in a better place. Companies like that, you can recommend. Those that tell you to FO? Well....
    Last edited by CeeZee; 2021/06/10 at 04:56 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to CeeZee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CeeZee View Post

How do you test the capacity of your batteries?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    How do you test the capacity of your batteries?
    He uses the wrong voltage to make the wrong conclusion using an uncalibrated meter and the wrong method.

Did you see my holy cow comment just above.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    He uses the wrong voltage to make the wrong conclusion using an uncalibrated meter and the wrong method.

Did you see my holy cow comment just above.
    I am not so sure that the uncalibrated meter would read 1 value on a battery and a different value on another.
    This test can easily be done on the suspect battery and a benchmark unit.
    I had a similar experience years ago buying 2 x 7Ah batteries from the same place on the same day. Both charged the same. Same load test and 1 gave a capacity close to spec and the other less than 50%.
    I took it back within 7days and the major seller of inverters, panels etc refused to even do any test and I had to foot the bill. Not good enough from a customer service point of view.
    Also tested with uncalibrated Fluke multimeter know to be accurate. It was compared to a Fluke 45 dual display.

Question Re: Exide 105aH

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    I am not so sure that the uncalibrated meter would read 1 value on a battery and a different value on another.
    This test can easily be done on the suspect battery and a benchmark unit.
    I had a similar experience years ago buying 2 x 7Ah batteries from the same place on the same day. Both charged the same. Same load test and 1 gave a capacity close to spec and the other less than 50%.
    I took it back within 7days and the major seller of inverters, panels etc refused to even do any test and I had to foot the bill. Not good enough from a customer service point of view.
    Also tested with uncalibrated Fluke multimeter know to be accurate. It was compared to a Fluke 45 dual display.
    He is making a decision on a battery state where 0.1V error is a life or death situation.

There is a huge difference between a 7AH SLA from China produced by the millions, made in probably a 1000 factories of unknown origin, supplied by a dubious supply chain,

AND

Two large expensive batteries from a single source premium Brand name exhibiting the same almost impossible fault.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast