Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Exide 105aH

Default Re: Exide 105aH

Thanks for pointing it out Fluffy.
    I just saw 21Ah for DOD of 50%.
    Very bad to use value around 12V as indicator. I recently had 2 great 2nd hand starting batteries which were looking fantastic up to 12V. Then suddenly once at 11.8V under low load of 5A both just collapsed to 10.5V

I have to add that I have tested quite a few new SMF100 from Battery Centre and always got at least 45Ah to get to 12V.
    One was an odd one out with a dead cell within 2 days and it was exchanged without questions asked.

I always wonder why we still call these batteries "12 Volt" batteries?

Naming it 12 volt create so much problems.

Maybe we should request the battery factories to put on the label "13.5 Volt battery" or even "14 volt battery"

At least then it will make more sense that it is at 50% of its capacity when it reaches 12.2 Volt.

Or the label should read "12 Volt battery (when completely flat)"

Most of the guys on the forums know by now that 12 Volt is already in the range that you damage your battery but the other 95% of people think that flat is at about 11.5 Volt or when the light goes out which in many LED terms means 9 volt.
    1999 Hilux Raider 4x4, 3.4 V6, 'n groene met swart tyres
    80 Series Cruiser 4.5 Petrol
    2011 Touareg 4.2 V8 Diesel.
    Series IIA Landy being Rebuilt (for the past 4 years)
    1963 Willys Traveller

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pietpetoors For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    He is making a decision on a battery state where 0.1V error is a life or death situation.

There is a huge difference between a 7AH SLA from China produced by the millions, made in probably a 1000 factories of unknown origin, supplied by a dubious supply chain,

AND

Two large expensive batteries from a single source premium Brand name exhibiting the same almost impossible fault.

Willard gives a 25 months guarantee at the same price.

My VARTA battery in my Mercedes Sprinter Avalon is 12 years old .........why ........made in Germany and not in Soshanguwe or elsewhere...
    2006 Fortuner D-4D 4x4
    2008 MercedesBenz 315cdi Avalon Motorhome
    2005 Bush Baby boswa
    Mobile call sign : ZS6CV

Quote Originally Posted by pietpetoors View Post
    I always wonder why we still call these batteries "12 Volt" batteries?

Naming it 12 volt create so much problems.

Maybe we should request the battery factories to put on the label "13.5 Volt battery" or even "14 volt battery"

At least then it will make more sense that it is at 50% of its capacity when it reaches 12.2 Volt.

Or the label should read "12 Volt battery (when completely flat)"

Most of the guys on the forums know by now that 12 Volt is already in the range that you damage your battery but the other 95% of people think that flat is at about 11.5 Volt or when the light goes out which in many LED terms means 9 volt.
    I had a chat with a big battery shop with country wide branches. According to the manager as long as a battery shows 12V it is in good nick. I disagreed and he then said that is what they were told during training.

He is making a decision on a battery state where 0.1V error is a life or death situation.
    Where is this life and death situation you talk about? 12.1V to 12V? 12.2 to 12.3V?

Two large expensive batteries from a single source premium Brand name exhibiting the same almost impossible fault.
    Lets play with this a bit. Production runs and machinery produces products in batches. Batches exhibit the same fault, as introduce by parameters set in the production line.
    In the VW forum, there is a recall for spare wheel cables breaking, a certain batch, affecting only certain VIN numbers. Premium brand, single source, same POSSIBLE fault.
    Our company produces high end electronics, only for export market, with high end electronics. We had batches returned with faulty radios from high end 1st world suppliers. Premium brands, single source, same POSSIBLE fault.
    Now lets presume for a moment you are correct, and that FNB did not invest in the 4th industrial revolution, nor the 3rd, but assembles their batteries by hand in a 3rd world country, hence batch processing faults can not occur. Now, I leave you with the conundrum below:

I have to add that I have tested quite a few new SMF100 from Battery Centre and always got at least 45Ah to get to 12V.
    One was an odd one out with a dead cell within 2 days and it was exchanged without questions asked.
    So, you telling me your high end product from SA had between 2 users testing it, 2 failures to reach capacity, some had to be over discharged to 12V to get less than 90% capacity, and one had a full failure? If you had between 2 users, this feedback from any China product, I would have liked to hear you puke all over the place.

Most lithium's we use locally, comes from China, and the rest of the east. None produced locally, as far as I'm aware. You don't by any change use lithiums, do you?

I've tested it with a ICharger X6. Bought it specifically for testing capacity on larger cells. The price is the same as your 'high end battery'. My 11th charger, excluding MPPT's et al. I've tested almost, if not more than 10 000 cells the last 2-3 years. Now, pay attention! This entitles me to the following, the same as any other member on this forum, or any other citizen of SA: To get what I pay for. If I bought a 102AH battery, I don't want a 75AH or 80AH battery. I would have bought a lighter one, cheaper one, if I wanted one.

Even with a 10% fault tolerance, or even a 10% of total battery capacity, I'm not even close to specs, as been told 1st hand by manufacturer over the phone.

Regarding FNB, if I where in the market for a deep cycle, I would buy their batteries any time, provided the sales man can show me how he get's 51ah out of it @ 12.1 volts under load, as per spec.

More people should test their batteries they buy, especially if you have a Victron MPPT with output port. Set a cutoff voltage as per manufacturer spec, discharge with your fridge, without having solar connected, and see what what hours you get. If it is a piece of ####, take it back. If it does the job, go camping.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeZee View Post
    Where is this life and death situation you talk about? 12.1V to 12V? 12.2 to 12.3V?

Lets play with this a bit. Production runs and machinery produces products in batches. Batches exhibit the same fault, as introduce by parameters set in the production line.
    In the VW forum, there is a recall for spare wheel cables breaking, a certain batch, affecting only certain VIN numbers. Premium brand, single source, same POSSIBLE fault.
    Our company produces high end electronics, only for export market, with high end electronics. We had batches returned with faulty radios from high end 1st world suppliers. Premium brands, single source, same POSSIBLE fault.
    Now lets presume for a moment you are correct, and that FNB did not invest in the 4th industrial revolution, nor the 3rd, but assembles their batteries by hand in a 3rd world country, hence batch processing faults can not occur. Now, I leave you with the conundrum below:

So, you telling me your high end product from SA had between 2 users testing it, 2 failures to reach capacity, some had to be over discharged to 12V to get less than 90% capacity, and one had a full failure? If you had between 2 users, this feedback from any China product, I would have liked to hear you puke all over the place.

Most lithium's we use locally, comes from China, and the rest of the east. None produced locally, as far as I'm aware. You don't by any change use lithiums, do you?

I've tested it with a ICharger X6. Bought it specifically for testing capacity on larger cells. The price is the same as your 'high end battery'. My 11th charger, excluding MPPT's et al. I've tested almost, if not more than 10 000 cells the last 2-3 years. Now, pay attention! This entitles me to the following, the same as any other member on this forum, or any other citizen of SA: To get what I pay for. If I bought a 102AH battery, I don't want a 75AH or 80AH battery. I would have bought a lighter one, cheaper one, if I wanted one.

Even with a 10% fault tolerance, or even a 10% of total battery capacity, I'm not even close to specs, as been told 1st hand by manufacturer over the phone.

Regarding FNB, if I where in the market for a deep cycle, I would buy their batteries any time, provided the sales man can show me how he get's 51ah out of it @ 12.1 volts under load, as per spec.

More people should test their batteries they buy, especially if you have a Victron MPPT with output port. Set a cutoff voltage as per manufacturer spec, discharge with your fridge, without having solar connected, and see what what hours you get. If it is a piece of ####, take it back. If it does the job, go camping.
    Before you get all high and mighty and full of it, maybe sit back for ten seconds and think about the test you are doing and why it doesnít give you the 50% discharge point.

If you donít want to do that, and are prepared to perhaps learn something, then just say so, and I will explain.

Here is a clue. The spec does NOT say you will get 51AH at 12.1V
    Cheers

ZS5KAD - PROFFESIONAL DUMBASS
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Here is a clue. The spec does NOT say you will get 51AH at 12.1V
    The manufacturer told me in person over the phone.

Please quantify you other statements?

Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

I am completely confused. How was the battery tested? There are industry standards for testing the capacity of a battery of cells, how did this test conform to those industry standards? If you admit to not using calibrated equipment then none of the results are empirical anyway.

For what it's worth, no two batteries are the same. I tested thousands of cells in batteries for industrial applications using calibrated load banks, recording voltages on calibrated volt meters and SG's using calibrated hydrometers. The only figures we were interested in was final voltage at the end of the test or the time at which the battery failed. All tests were performed for 100% discharge over a set time at a set discharge current. You will be amazed how some cells will just sit at 1.98V on load for hour upon hour before dropping.

A 50% test means nothing as it tells you nothing. A battery with 80% of capacity left will happily supply a load to 50% of its rated capacity.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Mahindra S6 Pik Up S/C 4x4
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

OK, now here is the thing. Battery voltage is the most inaccurate and and unreliable method of determining battery capacity.

So bad in fact that Victron charge thousands of Rands for their capacity monitor, and even then, it needs to learn your battery and you have to setup your battery specs via the menu. Even then, battery capacity is not accurate and the system needs to be reset and start from the beginning every so often.

---------------------------------------------------------

Lets look at your 12.2V and 12.1V proposed tests.

Firstly 12.2V no load. Probably about the most reliable. But, you need the battery to stand and recover for 2 hours after removing the load. Even then, it is still a very rough guide at best.

Now your 12.1V load test. At what battery temperature, and at what load current. Without accurate figures the test is meaningless. There is no standard for this and every battery will be different. It cant be predicted before hand, it can only be characterized by proper scientifically controlled testing.

And here is where the meters life or death comes in. A meter error of +- 0,1 Volt will give results so different that somebody (dare I say as you have) will declare a good battery dead, erroneously.

--------------------------------------------------------

So how does one test a batteries capacity. Well I will tell you what you cant do, and that is test for 50% capacity and extrapolate from that what the 100% capacity is.

Why - simply because it is nigh on impossible to determine where 50% is, without doing a 100% test.

--------------------------------------------------------

So how do we do this manually. Well, if we want reasonably accurate figures we - attach a know load - discharge the battery taking current and voltage readings regularly. We carry on doing so until the battery collapses, falls of the cliff. (charge the battery immediately to prevent damage.)

Put the values in a spreadsheet and calculate capacity.

Now for interest sake.

- Look at your spreadsheet and see where the 50% capacity point is. THAT is the 50% Capacity and Voltage at that Current and Temperature of your battery with that Voltmeter. Nobody else's battery or Voltmeter, not even an identical battery from the same batch. (Note this is 50% of the batteries actual capacity, not 50% of it's rated capacity)

- Alternatively determine from the spreadsheet at what voltage is the battery at 50% of the rated capacity - this is the only way to determine at what voltage 50% capacity is for your battery. Once again at that current and that temperature using that Voltmeter.

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS "it should be 12.1V" without a whole bunch of carveouts.

Now lets go back to your first post on this issue. How did you not smell a rat from your testing.

Battery (1) 21AH - Battery (2) 27AH

You may find this enlightening.

https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...attery-testing

Not so enlightening is your unsavory, playing the man, dig at me " I would have liked to hear you puke all over the place." in your post which is so incoherent and meaningless that I can only assume you where pi$$ed at the time.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

13. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

I am getting sick and tired of you constantly harassing me with your little snide quips. I stay away from your posts and leave you be.

It is getting so that I no longer post because this not a nice place to be.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

A lot of acid being spilled....

As for me I take heed what Fluffy says, always

Once you are used to some of his thought provoking comments his posts are actually very educational.
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2021/06/15 at 11:32 AM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 126 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted >60 000 km
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 125 000 km

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Yeah using volts and SOC in the same sentence ... (facepalm)

Using a BMV, accurately set for ones particular battery, is as close as most of us will get, methinks. Doing that manual test every month ... no.
    Even more complicated when the batteries are cycled daily, to get an accurate SOC. There a BMV hits a sweet spot.

Because a battery ages, the values will also change, so yea, BMV must be adjusted for that AND as the values get out of sync, especially when cycled daily.

Just like in 4x4 terms. If you drive your 4x4 hard daily, you should service it more often.

So I'm 100% ok with that, syncing a BMV, and it is damn easy to do too, and it does ensure a longer battery life, by FAR better than nothing AND it does not strain the battery to near destruction, by discharging it 100% to calculate a SOC. Forget about getting a close as damn SOC on a daily basis.

My vote is for a BMV every time.

Let me share my latest fiasco ...
    16 x lithium cells with a BMS that has a shunt, so SOC is more accurate ... yes?

For MONTHS BMV SOC = BMS SOC as close as damn. Charging and discharging out a wee bit, as the volts climb/drop, per cell. Low and high SOC's are "in line".

Then one day, after a week of Cpt weather, family visiting i.e. huge loads, BMV says like 45% SOC, the BMS says 99% SOC.
    WTF!

Turns out one cell has an issue, i.e. shoots up/drops MUCH faster than the other 15 cells = SOC in sy moer in.

The 16 cells, or 4 or 8, 15 or 18, MUST be in near perfect sync for a BMS to be accurate on SOC.
    And if you cannot see the individual cells ... good luck. Been there done that.

If I did not have that BMV, I would NEVER have picked it up this fast ... would have happily "thought" all was fine, eventually one day noticing my runtimes at night have substantially reduced.

Does one need a BMV on a lithium bank ... no. I'm just glad I did have one lying around.

A SmartShunt costs wot maybe +-R2350, less than one deep cycle battery, comes with a 5 year warranty and no moving parts ... no-brainer in my mind.
    Last edited by the_terrible_triplett; 2021/06/15 at 12:41 PM.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

What is a BMV?

Quote Originally Posted by Makaira View Post
    What is a BMV?
    Its just the product name of the Victron BMS.
    Cheers

3 Land Rover V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

G-Day Gentlemen,

@Dungbeetle, you are correct. Acid being spilled, and learn. Thanks!
    @TTT, you are correct, SOC based on Voltage = @#$.
    @TTT, you are still correct, maintaining SOC, bigger than previous.
    I agree with TTT quite vehemently.

@Fluffy, thanks for your post on determining SOC, and Capacity. You are correct in how to determining SOC and Charge.
    @Fluffy, your link about testing... thumbs up! As noted, I've in previous post's allow quite some adjustment from negative, for all my test cases.

Now please try not to read this as a bodily-flued-distribution contest. (I do acknowledge acid being spilled)

Some back ground on SOC/Capacity and why I agree with all TTT and Flufy said, and more. I ran a nice 1000AH wall. But, I do not ran any SOC on it. Zero, doddle. I had a huge start of estimate capacity, give or take 1000ah. Today, this figure is totally invalid, as described in depth, unless I do a full discharge test, which I refuse to do. So, I ran my wall on a safety cut off voltage for Li-ION for long life, plus as lower top level. I only monitor amps used/available to cutoff voltage. (Give or take shunt, float, etc consideration). This is NOT SOC, nor CAPACITY of my bank. It give me only available total power, till cutoff voltage, based on previous days figures. Accurate? No. Close, yes. Each day less? Yes. At no point do I use voltage, to make any remaining calculation, other than cut-off.

Now, at no point did I try to obtain a total capacity number on the SLA. At no point did I try to from voltage extrapolation, made any such conclusions, or attempted to. Neither did I try to determine SOC on battery voltage. Why? Well, for all the reason explained by Fluffy and TTT.

What was, and still remains, is available power available till cut-off has been reached. This was my discussion with manufacturer.
    My very fist concern, is low voltage cutoff on SLA. It is, without mentioning detail, detrimental to life of SLA. Most of us agree on a ball-park figure.
    My second question is, how much amps is available till I reach that thresh hold from fully charged? Not SOC, nor Capacity.

Now, since I vehemently agree with all of you on SOC and Capacity, now gets to Fluffy's statement on how to determine this available capacty till cutoff.

<strong>"Firstly 12.2V no load. Probably about the most reliable." (mmmhhh. Yes, but don't forget the cold beer test.)

Since I have no interest in total capacity, nor SOC. I agree with your statement 100%. Somehow, the manufacturer agree with you as well, on this number. I had 2 SLA's. one old one new.
    NOTE on cell 2: ( double capacity, tests 2 days, full weekend, extrapolated back to one day for comparison.)

Crude Test #1 (Yes, needs some calibration)
    * Power requirements: 1 day fridge on camp, need warm beer. Est: 600wh. (Give or take 50ah - don't confuse with SOC %, please!)
    * Subjects 2 SLA's. Old and new.
    * Cutoff voltage. X
    Cell 1 - the voltage was so low, I would not have been able to reach close to 24hrs. Smaller fridge. No lights at night. Issue detected.
    Cell 2 - Old cell, flying colors. Larger Fridge, pulls lights

Bench Test #2 (Yes, needs some calibration. Much more accurate than above. )
    Cell 1 - Failed
    Cell 2 - Passed.

So, with all available tools and observations, based on your 12.2(1)V test, (give or take all small variables, to either positive or negative deviation) my finding remains that the new SLA, could not meet the mark, as observed from the field, to the bench. My beer remained warm, in fridge A, cold in fridge B. Bench test confirmed that.

Now, below is a spread sheet snippet, to demonstrate my understanding and application of your SOC, Capacity, and my safety cut off voltage. I also made clear that I would buy from FNB, BUT, I sill would like to see some basic test results.

Please, may I ask that the figures are treated for demonstration of SOC, capacity, and available ah, 12.1V as load cutoff, etc, as principle. The 50ah in example below, also just a figure for explanation.

With my statement, that I'm not so much (other than buying Ah by label) interested in capacity test or SOC. Presume, I knew nothing from the true capacity, nor SOC in the sheet. The green SLAs, are the ones I would buy, or happy to recommend buying.

C: although a total capacity of 90AH, less total capacity, would at 12.(1)V provide me with a possible 50ah. In other words, its a cell with less than ideal capacity, but with bulk of far power above threshold.
    D: A underperforming cell, with bulk at cutoff, might not provide desired solution to keep my beer cold for a day.
    E: Well, bulk of capacity is lower, thus, no.
    K: Well, even if the bulk is low, I might have attained the desired capacity at cut off voltage.

Now, if the capacity is not reachable at cutoff voltage, I'm not willing to at any percentage point, go dig deeper for it on a new SLA, under warranty, expecting a nice long life. Anybody can recommend so, or hammer your battery as you please.

Thanks for all contributions. I'll take on my cheek what belongs there.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Guys,
    I originally started this thread. My question was: Is the Exide 105aH battery a deep cycle battery? I was in Warmbaths waiting to buy it.
    I never really got a Yes or No answer, but WOW, did I open a hornets nest!
    I finished up not buying a battery and used my old 90aH tractor battery and a cheapy Midas charger for my Mecer 1200 inverter and all has been working perfectly with the last 4 x 2 hr power outages.
    Thanks for all the input.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to RonS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I originally started this thread. My question was: Is the Exide 105aH battery a deep cycle battery? I was in Warmbaths waiting to buy it.
    I finished up not buying a battery and used my old 90aH tractor battery and a cheapy Midas charger for my Mecer 1200 inverter and all has been working perfectly with the last 4 x 2 hr power outages.
    Quite wonderful how far old batteries can take you

I have a bank of six of various Ah size 'old' car batteries driving LED's in my 'camp tent' setup on a 85W panel.(all in parallel)

One of those has been there for five years.

Robert van den Berg...(fully vaccinated with two Pfizer jabs)

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty' (jabbed with 50ppm)
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully' (jabbed with 50ppm)

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by RonS View Post
    Hi Guys,
    Perhaps reading post #11 would shed some light on your question. Also read the notes on the picture from the manufacturer. I am sure it is clear it may be cycled to a DOD of 80% but not many times.
    It has a high CCA like a starting battery and deep cycle properties.

Sorry I took 3 hours to try to answer the question.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2021/06/16 at 06:33 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Correction: I did not need to use my cheapy Midas charger as the Mercer has a built in charger.
    But TV, Wifi working fine during load shedding.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast