Default Everest 2.0 sit or biturbo?? Help needed

Hi guys,
    I hope you all are well, I have been a member here for a while but this is my first post as I am finally buying an SUV to get to the places my Jetta 6 can't take me.
    I would appreciate current owners of the Everest 2.0 SiT and Everest biturbo to
    1. Share thier experience regarding average fuel consumption (mix of urban and highway).
    2. Power to weight regarding unladden performance vs car packed for holiday with luggage and family.
    I have a choice of an Everest Sport which comes out only with the single turbo and an XLT biturbo.
    3. Another decision is whether to get 4x2 or 4x4. I don't plan to do any advanced 4x4ing, just need to go on dirt roads that a sedan can't go on. I also will be towing a small boat a few times a year. I love the look and interior upgrades that the Sport has over the XLT but will also consider the XLT if the difference in performance is huge between SiT and biturbo.
    I will be testing both soon to feel the difference myself but your experience and advice as current owners is most welcome.
    TIA
    Julian

Default Re: Everest 2.0 sit or biturbo?? Help needed

Quote Originally Posted by KingJulian View Post
    Hi guys,
    I hope you all are well, I have been a member here for a while but this is my first post as I am finally buying an SUV to get to the places my Jetta 6 can't take me.
    1. Share thier experience regarding average fuel consumption (mix of urban and highway).
    2. Power to weight regarding unladden performance vs car packed for holiday with luggage and family.
    I have a choice of an Everest Sport which comes out only with the single turbo and an XLT biturbo.
    3. Another decision is whether to get 4x2 or 4x4. I don't plan to do any advanced 4x4ing, just need to go on dirt roads that a sedan can't go on. I also will be towing a small boat a few times a year. I love the look and interior upgrades that the Sport has over the XLT but will also consider the XLT if the difference in performance is huge between SiT and biturbo.
    I will be testing both soon to feel the difference myself but your experience and advice as current owners is most welcome.
    TIA
    Julian
    Hi Julian,

I cannot comment on all of your questions but I can comment on the 4x4 question. I would opt for the 4x4 100% of the times. If you will be driving gravel you will want to engage 4x4. It increases stability and safety ten fold. There will be guys here saying that they have been driving on gravel without 4x4 their whole life, but I have done my fair share of gravel driving in both 2wd ad 4wd... Night and day. If you need to swerve for a cow or donkey the 4wd will pay for itself. It may even make the difference between life and death.

Let us know what you go for

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Schambies For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    Hi Julian,

I cannot comment on all of your questions but I can comment on the 4x4 question. I would opt for the 4x4 100% of the times. If you will be driving gravel you will want to engage 4x4. It increases stability and safety ten fold. There will be guys here saying that they have been driving on gravel without 4x4 their whole life, but I have done my fair share of gravel driving in both 2wd ad 4wd... Night and day. If you need to swerve for a cow or donkey the 4wd will pay for itself. It may even make the difference between life and death.

Let us know what you go for
    Thanks Schambies, I appreciate the info.

Agree with above. You may not want to go 4x4, but that is also because you can't. If you have the option of both I would go 4x4 every time. There is no comparison launching a boat with 2wd vs 4wd.

Just yesterday I was at PYC slip in DBN, and my boat is pretty heavy. The slipway was a bit iffy. Low first and release the clutch and no effort at all to just chug up the slipway. In 2wd I would have had to wheels-spin the nuts off it and possibly slide into the abyss or wear out my clutch.

Then when you are in a game park and there is an option road that is 4x4 only. You are stuck. Sani Pass, you are stuck. 4x4 just gives you so many more options that you wont have with a 2x4 and most NB, it lets you do rough roads slowly and in control with no vehicle damage, vs fast and furious as you don't have the low range option or the traction with 2wd.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Hi guys,
    TIA
    Julian
    SWAMBO has the Everest 2.0 SiT 4x4. We are happy with it. For our use, it is powerful enough towing a small trailer.

Given the choice between the biturbo 4x2 or SiT 4x4, I would choose the 4x4 every time. I find the 4x4 more useful than the extra power. We do not do anything hardcore with the Everest but we do use the 4x4 a lot and would of got stuck without it. Of course if budget is not a limit then get the top of range biturbo with 4x4.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TonyJimny For This Useful Post:

2.0 SiT vs. 2.0 BiT (vs. 3.2) (4x4community.co.za)

Always helps to look for information already available.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

10. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Hi Guys,
    Just an update from my last post. After requesting test drive on the Ford Sa website and confirming today with my nearest dealership. We were not able to test drive the Everest today...apparently the Limited on the showroom floor was sold and the Sport was delivered on Thursday. Took SWAMBO with to experience the Everest and "seal the deal" to move from sedan to SUV. The salesmans lack of knowledge on the Sport and lack of interest to sell a vehicle didn't help my cause. Will continue my search.
    PS. Does anyone know what active noise cancelation on the XLT and Limited is?

It works the same way as noise cancelling headphones.

Microphones pick up noise in the cabin and then use the radio system to cancel the noise with opposing frequencies.
    Hi Guys,
    Just an update from my last post. After requesting test drive on the Ford Sa website and confirming today with my nearest dealership. We were not able to test drive the Everest today...apparently the Limited on the showroom floor was sold and the Sport was delivered on Thursday. Took SWAMBO with to experience the Everest and "seal the deal" to move from sedan to SUV. The salesmans lack of knowledge on the Sport and lack of interest to sell a vehicle didn't help my cause. Will continue my search.
    PS. Does anyone know what active noise cancelation on the XLT and Limited is?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    It works the same way as noise cancelling headphones.

Microphones pick up noise in the cabin and then use the radio system to cancel the noise with opposing frequencies.
    Hi guys
    My previous vehicle was a 2.2L Dbl cab and my currently drive is the wonderful Bi-turbo Wildtrak. The Wildtrak is also fitted with these noise cancelling microphones(NCM) but I fail to hear what difference these NCM make as the noise inside the 2.2L and the Wildtrak is the same. I queried this with the salesman and he said it is only cancelling noises that makes you tired. I am going for a second opinion to one of the bigger dealerships in town as soon as I get home again.
    N3il J
    2019 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 2L BiT (Bruin Beer)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to N3il J For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by N3il J View Post
    Hi guys
    My previous vehicle was a 2.2L Dbl cab and my currently drive is the wonderful Bi-turbo Wildtrak. The Wildtrak is also fitted with these noise cancelling microphones(NCM) but I fail to hear what difference these NCM make as the noise inside the 2.2L and the Wildtrak is the same. I queried this with the salesman and he said it is only cancelling noises that makes you tired. I am going for a second opinion to one of the bigger dealerships in town as soon as I get home again.
    Does Ford use the Bose system? In any case, the technology would be similar. From https://www.caradvice.com.au/897714/...ctually-works/

“Bose noise-cancelling headphones cancel a wide band of sound frequencies in the small, controlled environment inside each ear cup [whereas] Bose EHC targets a narrow band of low-frequency engine noise throughout the much larger space of a vehicle cabin,” the Bose spokesperson explained.
    “The specific targeted frequencies are identified by car makers to achieve their desired sound characteristics. Bose engineers then customise the solution for the unique acoustics of each vehicle.”
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:

Just an update, taking delivery of the 2.0 sit sport 4x4 tomorrow. Can't wait, feel like a kid on Christmas eve....

19. The Following User Says Thank You to KingJulian For This Useful Post:

Just an update, taking delivery of the 2.0 sit sport 4x4 tomorrow. Can't wait, feel like a kid on Christmas eve....
    Happy safe kilometers in your new ride.
    Last edited by N3il J; 2021/07/05 at 04:41 AM.
    N3il J
    2019 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 2L BiT (Bruin Beer)

21. The Following User Says Thank You to N3il J For This Useful Post:

I saw a sport on the road yesterday, have to say it looks awesome, congrats
    Ranger Wildtrak
    Ex Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamtheman For This Useful Post:

SWAMBO has an Everest Limited Bi-Turbo. Awesome vehicle. As an every day car, it is pretty easy going. If you want a squirt and go, it definitely isn't for you....and I'm speaking generally.
    Average fuel consumption is 10kl/100km on average. Highway we normally get in the high 8's to mid 9's (I drive on cruise-control set to 120km/hr).
    Suspension is amazing....way better than my Amarok Extreme V6. Amarok has the power....Everest everything else.
    I have a 6 year old who is rather tall....and she fits perfectly in her car seat sat behind mine....with space to spare.

Word of caution...check your spare wheel. Our Everest has 20'' rims....I'm running Cooper LTZ 275/55/20 which works great btw....but the spare wheel is a 17". I made a massive fuss and the dealership gave me a 20'' rim....and yes the 20'' rim with that size tyre fits perfectly in the normal space provided for the spare.

On long trips this vehicle is superb. I will admit at 120km/hr, when wanting to overtake power is found to be wanting, but you soon learn to drive within yourself...I have had too. If we need to "fly" for whatever reason, we usually then take the Amarok....but enjoy your vehicle mate....absolutely fantastic choice.
    2021 VW Touareg Executive (190KW)
    2020 Ford Everest Limited 2.0 Bi-Turbo (SWAMBO)

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Casper... For This Useful Post:

Picked up my new baby this afternoon.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to KingJulian For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Casper... View Post
    SWAMBO has an Everest Limited Bi-Turbo. Awesome vehicle. As an every day car, it is pretty easy going. If you want a squirt and go, it definitely isn't for you....and I'm speaking generally.
    Average fuel consumption is 10kl/100km on average. Highway we normally get in the high 8's to mid 9's (I drive on cruise-control set to 120km/hr).
    Suspension is amazing....way better than my Amarok Extreme V6. Amarok has the power....Everest everything else.
    I have a 6 year old who is rather tall....and she fits perfectly in her car seat sat behind mine....with space to spare.

Word of caution...check your spare wheel. Our Everest has 20'' rims....I'm running Cooper LTZ 275/55/20 which works great btw....but the spare wheel is a 17". I made a massive fuss and the dealership gave me a 20'' rim....and yes the 20'' rim with that size tyre fits perfectly in the normal space provided for the spare.

On long trips this vehicle is superb. I will admit at 120km/hr, when wanting to overtake power is found to be wanting, but you soon learn to drive within yourself...I have had too. If we need to "fly" for whatever reason, we usually then take the Amarok....but enjoy your vehicle mate....absolutely fantastic choice.
    Hi Casper, thanks for the reply and the info.
    I Checked today and I have the 20 inch spare tire which has the same mag as what is on the car. Did you swap out the tires at the dealership? BTW this is my first Ford. Been a VW owner for the past 20 years and thought the Amarok would be my next vehicle. An SUV is better suited to our lifestyle than a bakkie and thus the choice to go with the Everest.
    Last edited by KingJulian; 2021/07/01 at 03:29 PM.