Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

Good to hear all seems fine. Is the oil level okay? It's probably a good idea to keep an eye on all the fluid levels for a while and at least get the diesel filter changed as a precaution.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa

We monitor oil level and change diesel filter once home.
    TNX all

It sounds like you topped up at the small stationIf you did fill up i think the symptoms would have got worse.
    It might be that you had some condensation buildup overnight in the tank and maybe with the fillup it mixed the water droplets in the tank with the diesel..It happens during these season changeovers..
    I can see the condensation in my manholes of my diesel product..
    We double check our tanks for water during winter and even dip the trucks apon arrival..

Yes we topped up 36 l to fill up to 90 l.

I would drain the tank and put new filter in.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Yep, I tend to agree.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Our Gen 4's don't have a DPF. They only have a CAT.
    Interesting I thought all diesels from 2009 had to have one? mine is a 2007/8 and it does not have one
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by 12richardk View Post
    Interesting I thought all diesels from 2009 had to have one? mine is a 2007/8 and it does not have one
    Not in South Africa. Some manufacturers fitted DPF's but most of the Jap spec vehicles don't fall into that category. In Aus they've had the DPF since around 2006 on most models.

DPF = located before the CAT. It filters diesel soot particles than are deemed harmful to our lungs (mostly carbon particles of 0.01-0.08 microns). So it physically traps particles > than the micron size of the filter. When it becomes restricted a burn off is initiated by the vehicles computer.

CAT = redox chemistry happens here. Toxic gases (stuff like CO & NOx) undergo oxidation within CAT and are converted to less harmful gasses. They need a temp of over 400 deg celcius to effectively trigger the reactions. These CAT's get blocked up by the aforementioned diesel soot particles that modern DPF's are filtering. That is why you need to hustle your diesel from time to time to keep it clean.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChasingSunsets For This Useful Post:

Exactly what I would do as well, even just a new filter may solve the problem at least temporarily. Once had similar symptoms on a 1996 2800 Pajero rental up in north Africa. Was amazed to find a new filter in an original box under dust on the shelves of a village garage!
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB

A good habit during winter times is to keep your diesel vehicle as full as possible overnight especially if you drove hard and leave it outside overnight..It lessens space in the tank for condensation to build up..It might only be a few millilitres but over three months of winter the droplets become more and much of it settles at the bottom of the tank..
    Then suddenly one day you drive it quite empty and fill up,picking up all the debris and water and suddenly you have issues..
    I had an exact case with an old LC..Guy filled up at some no name establishment a few times outside bloem.>Stops by me to fill up full tank cause he was empty and a few kms down the road filter is blocked..My fuel is crystal clear with no issues except him..

A good habit during winter times is to keep your diesel vehicle as full as possible overnight especially if you drove hard and leave it outside overnight..It lessens space in the tank for condensation to build up..It might only be a few millilitres but over three months of winter the droplets become more and much of it settles at the bottom of the tank..
    Then suddenly one day you drive it quite empty and fill up,picking up all the debris and water and suddenly you have issues..
    I had an exact case with an old LC..Guy filled up at some no name establishment a few times outside bloem.>Stops by me to fill up full tank cause he was empty and a few kms down the road filter is blocked..My fuel is crystal clear with no issues except him..
    Water settles at the bottom of the fuel tank and will be picked up first. Hopefully the filter catches it and the sensor illuminates the dash light.

I fear dodgy garages, especially early in the morning when everything has settled in their underground tanks and you get that first fill.

After we've been at Mitsubishi in PE we drove home with no further incidents. We then went to our workshop at home and had the Diesel filter renewed,
    read out the data again and filled an injector cleaner in that hubby had won some time ago from Liqui Moly.

Cost: R 0 at Mitsubishi PE (+ two coffees ) and R 1200 today.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:

Well done Mitsubishi PE!

Thanks for the feedback.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    After we've been at Mitsubishi in PE we drove home with no further incidents. We then went to our workshop at home and had the Diesel filter renewed,
    read out the data again and filled an injector cleaner in that hubby had won some time ago from Liqui Moly.

Cost: R 0 at Mitsubishi PE (+ two coffees ) and R 1200 today.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2