Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa
    Posts
    2,961
    Thanked: 244

    Default Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    SOLVED ❤️
    Were in Addo this morning on an early game drive, when suddenly the Diesel engine sound louder and a few minutes later dark smokes coming out of the exhaust.
    It's a 2009 model, DID, service was done about 2000 km ago.
    It seems that a bit oil is missing.
    Should we rather search for a workshop in Kirkwood?

    We drove about 4-5 km to main Camp now and are a bit clueless...

    Update, driving back to accomodation in Nyathi now, no more smoke. Ignore it? What could be the reason?

    Thanks
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2021/06/07 at 12:30 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Johannesburg/Prague
    Age
    60
    Posts
    427
    Thanked: 120

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    Has it stopped now ? could be the DPF (diesel particle filter) doing a regeneration process which is normal

    If it has not stopped you can check the air filter perhaps its a bit blocked , if not then best to take to a garage as it could a lot of things related to diesel/air mixture
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,304
    Thanked: 722

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    How much oil seems to be missing?

    Blue or black smoke?

    Does your radiator water look normal? No bubbles while idling the engine?

    Did you maybe recently fill up somewhere dodgy?
    ....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,304
    Thanked: 722

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    If it is dark smoke I assume it is black. Then check air and maybe the diesel filter as mentioned above, for a start.
    ....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa
    Posts
    2,961
    Thanked: 244

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    Sorry for late reply, we've had no cellphone reception.
    It's blue smoke. We'll check for radiator water bubbles right now.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa
    Posts
    2,961
    Thanked: 244

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    If it is dark smoke I assume it is black. Then check air and maybe the diesel filter as mentioned above, for a start.
    We can't check it here, need to find a workshop. Just thinking if we should go to Kirkwood or Colchester...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    50
    Posts
    1,304
    Thanked: 722

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    Maybe Colchester? If you can't get help there you are not too far away from PE with a Mitsubishi dealership.
    ....

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa
    Posts
    2,961
    Thanked: 244

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    So it's blue smoke, no bubbles in radiator water, smoking occurs when accelerating, then nothing. Sound of the engine is louder than normal.
    We'll drive to Colchester now to find a workshop to check the diesel and the diesel filter.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:


  10. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,637
    Thanked: 1187

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    Contaminated fuel maybe..Could be water contamination.Check your filter for signs of water

  11. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Posts
    534
    Thanked: 335

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    Were in Addo this morning on an early game drive, when suddenly the Diesel engine sound louder and a few minutes later dark smokes coming out of the exhaust.
    It's a 2009 model, DID, service was done about 2000 km ago.
    It seems that a bit oil is missing.
    Should we rather search for a workshop in Kirkwood?

    We drove about 4-5 km to main Camp now and are a bit clueless...

    Update, driving back to accomodation in Nyathi now, no more smoke. Ignore it? What could be the reason?

    Thanks
    Hi, only saw your post this morning. If you need help in the PE area contact Bossie from Magic Auto 084 three-seven-seven 6671. He's looked after my Dad's gen 3 for many years. Speak to his son. They know their Mitsu's.

    Dark (Black?) smoke sounds like over fueling (bad AFR ratio) which could point to a few things. Maybe have them read the injectors and do a small quantity relearn. Change the filters (maybe bad diesel). Else have you ever replaced MAF, MAP or SCV and is it decatted? I'm guessing the Kilo's are getting high so maybe time to clean the intake manifold. Maybe some gunk worked loosed and out the exhaust. If the cat is still there then it may have gotten stuck there and burnt causing the smoke. Many possibilities.

    I find the oil level my Gen 4 is very sensitive to how the car is parked. I only check it when dead cold and on a level surface else it looks low. But maybe if its used some oil it would be good to check the turbo spindle for play (oily smoke tends to be more greyish and not dark).

    If you cant make it to PE I can ask friends in the Kirkwood/Addo area if there is a mech they recommend.
    Hope you come right.

  12. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Posts
    534
    Thanked: 335

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    So it's blue smoke, no bubbles in radiator water, smoking occurs when accelerating, then nothing. Sound of the engine is louder than normal.
    We'll drive to Colchester now to find a workshop to check the diesel and the diesel filter.
    Sound like the turbo. Check the oil. If the turbo seals blow it will eat the oil very quickly.

  13. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Posts
    534
    Thanked: 335

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by 12richardk View Post
    Has it stopped now ? could be the DPF (diesel particle filter) doing a regeneration process which is normal

    If it has not stopped you can check the air filter perhaps its a bit blocked , if not then best to take to a garage as it could a lot of things related to diesel/air mixture
    Our Gen 4's don't have a DPF. They only have a CAT.

  14. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa
    Posts
    2,961
    Thanked: 244

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    Our mechanic at home said it's either dirty diesel or the injectors.
    We slowly "cruise" towards PE, prepared to stop immediately if engine gets louder and call Outsurance.

    No workshop in Colchester according GM, we opted for the Mitsubishi dealership in PE.

    I'll keep you updated ��
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2021/06/07 at 10:25 AM.

  15. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    Stellenbosch
    Posts
    534
    Thanked: 335

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    Our mechanic at home said it's either dirty diesel (we filled up at Shell in Albertina) or the injectors.
    We slowly "cruise" towards PE, prepared to stop immediately if engine gets louder and call Outsurance.

    No workshop in Colchester according GM, we opted for the Mitsubishi dealership in PE.

    I'll keep you updated ��
    Albetinia is a long way for dirty diesel to only start causing an issue in Addo. But perhaps its just taken a while for the filter to clog. Keep a sample incase it is dirty diesel then contact the service station. Injectors will typically cause black smoke. That's overfueling. Grey/bluish smoke implies oil. You mention the oil looks low so its more likely there.

    Colchester is a no go for sure.

    Personally I'd rather try Bossie than the dealer there, I think you will have more luck.

    Will scan to see if you guys made it to PE.
    Last edited by ChasingSunsets; 2021/06/07 at 10:26 AM.

  16. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Friemersheim, Southern Cape
    Age
    59
    Posts
    4,834
    Thanked: 4836

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    Our mechanic at home said it's either dirty diesel or the injectors.
    We slowly "cruise" towards PE, prepared to stop immediately if engine gets louder and call Outsurance.

    No workshop in Colchester according GM, we opted for the Mitsubishi dealership in PE.

    I'll keep you updated ��
    .....
    Last edited by Prof; 2021/06/07 at 12:41 PM.
    Robert van den Berg

    '98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

    "What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

  17. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa
    Posts
    2,961
    Thanked: 244

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    Albetinia is a long way for dirty diesel to only start causing an issue in Addo. But perhaps its just taken a while for the filter to clog. Keep a sample incase it is dirty diesel then contact the service station. Injectors will typically cause black smoke. That's overfueling. Grey/bluish smoke implies oil. You mention the oil looks low so its more likely there.

    Colchester is a no go for sure.

    Personally I'd rather try Bossie than the dealer there, I think you will have more luck.

    Will scan to see if you guys made it to PE.
    I've rechecked slips and we remembered we filled up on a small filling station in Uitenhage. I also thought it can't be so far !!!.
    I only saw the post mentioning Bossier later, we are now on our way to Magic Auto.

    Brains are a bit slow after 6 phantastic and relaxing nights at Nyathi Highly recommended

    TNX we'll update later
    Last edited by Southerndreams; 2021/06/07 at 10:45 AM.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Southerndreams For This Useful Post:


  19. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa
    Posts
    2,961
    Thanked: 244

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    I fill up at Shell Albertinia many times a month and no issues to date
    It wasn't Shell Albertina, it was at a small filling station in Uitenhage. I've edited the post I don't want to harm them

  20. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa
    Posts
    2,961
    Thanked: 244

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    We had driven from Addo Main Camp to PE without any more smoke incident.
    Magic Auto couldn't assist us due to a family related cause.

    At Mitsubishi dealership we got lucky to slip in between, they read out injectors etc. and couldn't find anything wrong.
    99% the cause was dirty diesel from Uitenhage.

    The mechanic also explained, that if it would've been the injectors, the vehicle would've been going into limp mode.

    Thanks all that assisted ♥️

  21. #19
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    East London
    Age
    69
    Posts
    2,811
    Thanked: 4236

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    I am very reluctant to post this, but add 500ml 2-stroke oil to the tank.

    No, I am not inviting a discussion.

    Use it or lose it.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

    2006 VW Touareg V10 (Sold)
    2002 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d SWB

  22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:


  23. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Friemersheim, Southern Cape
    Age
    59
    Posts
    4,834
    Thanked: 4836

    Default Re: Pajero Diesel suddenly smoking

    Quote Originally Posted by Southerndreams View Post
    It wasn't Shell Albertina, it was at a small filling station in Uitenhage. I've edited the post I don't want to harm them
    Likewise
    Robert van den Berg

    '98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

    "What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •