Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The VW Bus that never made it to market

Quote Originally Posted by Hooly View Post
    The technical specs for the Golf country that I could find are as follow.

Ground clearance 180mm 210 on some versions
    KW 73 there were only 50 Gti's made with 85kw
    Torque 143nm
    Acceleration 0-100km/h 12.3s
    I can't find any info on the 1st gear ratio.
    The Golf was FWD with the rear activated through a clutch on slip

Duster
    Ground clearance 210mm
    kw 80
    Torque 260nm
    1st gear ratio 4.45
    Acceleration 0-100km/h 12.5s
    The Duster is primarily FWD with the rear activated when slipping and there is a manual switchable lock between front and rear.

Like the Golf the 4x4 Duster has under body protection as standard.
    You are correct. The 120mm clearance more than the standard golf syncro had me fooled. I misread that the standard syncro had a clearance of 210mm. The lower gear ratio is fact however. Actually not only the first gear that was lower, the entire range from 1 to 5 was lower than the standard syncro.

Groetnis

Koos

Quote Originally Posted by Beurvoort View Post
    You are correct. The 120mm clearance more than the standard golf syncro had me fooled. I misread that the standard syncro had a clearance of 210mm. The lower gear ratio is fact however. Actually not only the first gear that was lower, the entire range from 1 to 5 was lower than the standard syncro.

Groetnis

Koos
    Do you have the ratio's for the Golf it would be interesting to compare? What I can tell you is that I was pretty impressed with my Dusty while I had it, and the low first gear worked pretty well in offroad scenario's, although not a replacement for real low range like I have on my Cherokee Trailhawk.

Groete
    Louis
    Louis Adendorff
    Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (Ironman suit)
    Everest 2.2 XLS (Swambo’s mommy taxi)

There were a bunch of Namibians also doing a lot of work on a 4x4 version in the late 70's. They imported some components from VW Germany. They had a prototype running in the Namib dunes. Do not know much more about it. It was definitely running before the Synchros came to South Africa.
    Last edited by Pieter de Waal; 2021/06/14 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieter de Waal View Post
    There were a bunch of Namibians also doing a lot of work on a 4x4 version in the late 70's. They imported some components from VW Germany. They had a prototype running in the Namib dunes. Do not know much more about it. It was definitely running before the Synchros came to South Africa.
    My understanding was that the Synchro was uniquely South African and totally developed locally (be that RSA or NAM). I have never seen a Synchro advertised in Europe. The same is true for the 2.5 and 2.6 Microbus these we South African variants developed for the towing fraternity as the 2.1 simply did no have enough poke. The 2.5 being the first as it was the standard 5 cylinder Audi engine and then the 2.6 was a torque improved version.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    My understanding was that the Synchro was uniquely South African and totally developed locally (be that RSA or NAM). I have never seen a Synchro advertised in Europe. The same is true for the 2.5 and 2.6 Microbus these we South African variants developed for the towing fraternity as the 2.1 simply did no have enough poke. The 2.5 being the first as it was the standard 5 cylinder Audi engine and then the 2.6 was a torque improved version.
    You must be joking! Syncros are running all over Europe and the US! It was developed by Steyr in Austria actually. The 2.3/5/6 5 cylinder variants were SA developed yes.

The Syncros running around in Swakopmund early on was built from original components before the Syncro was launched locally.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    You must be joking! Syncros are running all over Europe and the US! It was developed by Steyr in Austria actually. The 2.3/5/6 5 cylinder variants were SA developed yes.

The Syncros running around in Swakopmund early on was built from original components before the Syncro was launched locally.
    I stand corrected.

Die eerste “syncro” wat ek gesien het, was n 80’s oetinger vanaf duisland wat hier deur getoer het.

Wat was oetinger?
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post
    Die eerste “syncro” wat ek gesien het, was n 80’s oetinger vanaf duisland wat hier deur getoer het.

Wat was oetinger?
    Oetinger was basies `n maatskappy wat spesialiseer het om VW boxer enjins meer krag te laat lewer. As ek mooi onthou het hulle selfs op `n stadium a plat ses van drie liter gebou vir VW kombis, gebasseer op die 2.1 wasserboxer.

Groetnis

Koos

Quote Originally Posted by Beurvoort View Post
    Oetinger was basies `n maatskappy wat spesialiseer het om VW boxer enjins meer krag te laat lewer. As ek mooi onthou het hulle selfs op `n stadium a plat ses van drie liter gebou vir VW kombis, gebasseer op die 2.1 wasserboxer.GroetnisKoos
    Korrek. Die 3.2 wasserboxer was letterlik 2.1 plus 33.33 present. Jy kon pistons omruil tussen die 2. Daai ses was 'n ongelooflike enjin gewees.
    Die B staan vir Beneke

11. The Following User Says Thank You to EtienneB For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Reenen View Post

Wat was oetinger?
    Oettinger is the oldest VW tuner, they started off shortly after WW2 in Germany Tuning Beetle engines.
    http://www.superstreetonline.com/how...ect-car/19039/
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by EtienneB View Post
    Korrek. Die 3.2 wasserboxer was letterlik 2.1 plus 33.33 present. Jy kon pistons omruil tussen die 2. Daai ses was 'n ongelooflike enjin gewees.
    EK IS IDIOOT. 2.1 plus 50% nie 33.33 . . . Jammer!
    Die B staan vir Beneke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2