Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Petrol-driven or Solar/Battery-driven generator

With loadshedding becoming a regular occurence and me working from home, I am looking at a not-too-expensive solution to minimize my downtime affecting work. Although we do have an office (with diesel generators) in a complex, the majority of us prefer to remote-work from home due the convenience involved (no travel as well as mimimum contact with others with risk of Covid-19). Even if Covid passes, majority of us will still have the option to remain/work from home.

I have been looking at this:

Solar UPS:
    https://www.takealot.com/invest-sola...v/PLID70587770

Petrol generator:
    https://www.takealot.com/ryobi-gener...a/PLID34187775

Nothing fancy, just a power source needed to keep stove, fridge, TV, fibre router and 2x laptops, each with 2 extended screens ongoing for about 2-4 hours.

I do understand that one needs to find out the wattage used for the above equipment but I just need to find out the advantages and disadvantages of both the solar UPS and petrol geni.

As I see:
    solar UPS: dependant on battery life cycle, gel battery replacements
    petrol geni: fuel refill, noise and smoke polution

Any other opinions?

Default Re: Petrol-driven or Solar/Battery-driven generator

Quote Originally Posted by GroenHoender View Post
    ... just a power source needed to keep stove, fridge, ...
    Anything that heats or cools should be lowest priority during load shedding. If you want to cook, invest in gas. Fridge can remain off for 2 hours.

Also, in my opinion a modified sine wave inverter is a no-no for anything with an electric motor, e.g fridge. The motor does not run smoothly.
    Louis Farrell

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LouisF For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LouisF View Post
    If you want to cook, invest in gas. Fridge can remain off for 2 hours.

Cannot/won't replace stove due to being a rental house.
    Can make a plan with camping gas stove but at the moment it is not the priority issue.

The priority is to get power to be able to continue working, with fibre internet, at all hours.

One thing to consider with Electric is the frequency of power failures, Stage 2 could have 2 failures in a charging/non charging cycle. If there is stage 3 or 4, there might be insufficient time to fully charge between failures.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson

Total 4x4 Novice with no experience whats-so-ever

''Nothing makes the Earth seem so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes''. H.D. Thoreau.

Hummer H3 V8

W.A.P Objectivist

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

I had a look at the options and ended up buying a honda eu22i about 2 years ago, at 2KVA its enough to power all the house lights (LED), 2 TV's and several PC's/laptops - I havent tried the fridges but suspect it may even run that. Reason I went for a smaller unit was lower running cost, lower noise and ability to carry it around if needed. My genny runs inside the garage with the windows opened and you cannot hear it inside the house. I bought the honda because I've struggled with Ryobi gensets that stood for a while before and wanted something I know will fire up without hassles. The little honda fires up on the second yank of the chain every time (well every time except when the fuel tank was empty and it took me 5mins of yanking before I checked the fuel level!)

Anyway, point is you may not need such a big generator if you dont try to run the entire house
    Anton Muller
    Nothing screams "Bad workmanship" like wrinkles in the duct tape
    2012 Q7 4.2 TDI
    Birkin SR20VET race car

I have this one:
    https://www.geewiz.co.za/long-run-up...kit-1440w.html

Ive had it for just over 3 years now and still going strong. It cant run anything with a motor though, so no fridge or fans etc.

Id rather buy this one than that takealot one I must say.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I have this one:
    https://www.geewiz.co.za/long-run-up...kit-1440w.html

Ive had it for just over 3 years now and still going strong. It cant run anything with a motor though, so no fridge or fans etc.

Id rather buy this one than that takealot one I must say.
    Price on the Takealot one is crazy for a 12V single battery unit.
    ZS6VL

First thing is the power outputs from the items you looking at are very different.
    The inverter is only 1600w and the generator is 5500w.
    I use the mecer simulated sine wave inverter amd no issues with the fridge freezer, my father in law has a new fridge and also has no issues with the mecer running his.
    The thing with these small inverter that is simulated sine wave is it cannot run a 40 inch or larger TV or smart TV.
    Depending on where you are, there are many pure sine wave options out there that will do lots of what you want, of you run your stove or geyser on an inverter the batteries will go flat very quickly. A 5000 watt inverter with 105ah batteries goes flat with running geyser in about 1 hour to 1,5 hours.
    If you do your lights and computers and fibre then the mecer is super easy and can find much cheaper ones than what you looked at there with larger batteries also. You then don't have to worry about load shedding or anything especially if they run through the inverter at all times as then it changes over amd don't even notice the change, but a generator you will go off and then until you start the generator and plug in everything goes off and needs to reboot etc.

Current: Pajero 3500 V6 24v LWB M/T Gen 2.5
    Previous: Pajero 3.2 Did LWB A/T
    Previous: Colt 2.8tdi D/C 4x4 Extreme

One Heart: Land Rover Defender Puma 110, 2 x TD5 110
    http://oneheartint.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by allandell View Post
    I use the mecer simulated sine wave inverter amd no issues with the fridge freezer, my father in law has a new fridge and also has no issues with the mecer running his. The thing with these small inverter that is simulated sine wave is it cannot run a 40 inch or larger TV or smart TV.
    Depending on where you are, there are many pure sine wave options out there that will do lots of what you want, of you run your stove or geyser on an inverter the batteries will go flat very quickly. A 5000 watt inverter with 105ah batteries goes flat with running geyser in about 1 hour to 1,5 hours.
    I really do not recommend running motor-driven appliances from modified sinewave inverters, really bad for fridge compressors. Fridges and freezers do not need backup power for most load shedding scenarios, as already mentioned.

Geysers and other appliances with large heating elements should NOT be run from battery power.

For TVs etc. it is the power rating of the inverter that is important. LCD TVs are really not power hungry at all.

If the intended use is backup for PCs and routers etc, then an inverter setup is fine. No noise, no fumes.
    ZS6VL

Quote Originally Posted by An3s View Post
    I really do not recommend running motor-driven appliances from modified sinewave inverters, really bad for fridge compressors. Fridges and freezers do not need backup power for most load shedding scenarios, as already mentioned.

Geysers and other appliances with large heating elements should NOT be run from battery power.

For TVs etc. it is the power rating of the inverter that is important. LCD TVs are really not power hungry at all.

If the intended use is backup for PCs and routers etc, then an inverter setup is fine. No noise, no fumes.
    Yes, the mecer is not modified sinewave. It is simulated which is different to modified. (Well at least from everything I have managed to read up). But I am happy to learn so will look it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by allandell View Post
    Yes, the mecer is not modified sinewave. It is simulated which is different to modified. (Well at least from everything I have managed to read up). But I am happy to learn so will look it up again.

AFAIK simulated/modified is the same thing. The small Mecer inverters 12V/24V in the 720W and 1440W versions (often sold with batteries and trolleys) are both modified sinewave output. The larger units branded Mecer or Axpert (Voltronic) are mostly pure sinewave.
    ZS6VL

14. The Following User Says Thank You to An3s For This Useful Post:

Price on the Takealot one is crazy for a 12V single battery unit.
    Actually is 24V, so I assume 2 batteries
    Louis Farrell

AFAIK simulated/modified is the same thing. The small Mecer inverters 12V/24V in the 720W and 1440W versions (often sold with batteries and trolleys) are both modified sinewave output. The larger units branded Mecer or Axpert (Voltronic) are mostly pure sinewave.
    Ok, well anyway, I been using it like this for the last 2 and half years and no issues yet fortunately. I am hoping to upgrade to a 5000 watt inverter but when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisF View Post
    Actually is 24V, so I assume 2 batteries
    Yes, is 2 batteries but in that link they only 80ah batteries. Very expensive package that.

I bought one of these about 3 years ago from Takealot.

1000W Pure Sine Wave with solar controller.

Still going strong .

Mainly use it for TV, TV BOX , son's gaming PC and lights.

http://www.smartpowersystems.co.za/
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Metalian Maxi

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 4x4 wannabie For This Useful Post:

I see OP refers to09 being in a rental house and working from home.
    His main concern seems to be internet connectivity be it fiber or WiFi and PC, laptop, mobile, TV, whatever connection and operation during load shedding episodes.
    I totally agree with comments above re: electric stove, fridges not being on the alt. power system for load shed periods.
    Given the above, he needs to look at some kind of a portable system even if it will actually be used in situ most if not all of the time.
    He is surely not going to install a fixed system on the rental property, which would then become a fixture and most likely in terms of his lease agreement would become property of the landlord when he moves.
    So one of the important items which may normally be fixed but now would need to be portable is the solar panel. (I am excluding the generator option due to noise, fumes, and cost of fuel).
    It may be interesting to consider some of the points raised in this video from U Tube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP8KO1gWOjk

If you wish, ignore the "prepping" comments, although may also be worth noting these days ...
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2021/06/14 at 12:58 PM.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    I see OP refers to09 being in a rental house and working from home.
    His main concern seems to be internet connectivity be it fiber or WiFi and PC, laptop, mobile, TV, whatever connection and operation during load shedding episodes.

He is surely not going to install a fixed system on the rental property, which would then become a fixture and most likely in terms of his lease agreement would become property of the landlord when he moves.
    Absolutely correct, sir.

First priority is to get a power source that allows me to continue working, which is very important for me and my international employee, as we want to have minimal downtime. Many of my colleagues are in the same situation but most of them have their own houses, so they bought solar or build-in generator or some sort solution.

In my case, I do not own the house, so I am obviously looking at alternative options.

Given the above, he needs to look at some kind of a portable system even if it will actually be used in situ most if not all of the time.

So one of the important items which may normally be fixed but now would need to be portable is the solar panel. (I am excluding the generator option due to noise, fumes, and cost of fuel).

It may be interesting to consider some of the points raised in this video from U Tube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP8KO1gWOjk
    Once again, correct: decided to forget about the petrol/diesel-driven generator.

Currently looking at various inverter/sinewave units such as these SmartPower, Ellies, GeeWiz as shared by others in this thread. Definitely considering getting solar accessories for these inverter/sinewave units as my house face north with a constant, clear, sunny view (even in winter) which would be perfect for solar recharging.

Just still needing to make a decision regarding these units as they come in many various capacity such as 1200W or 1440W and pure sinewave.
    Unfortunately, many of these units are either out of stock or are delayed.

Stuff like this:
    Pure sinewave (the SPS-1000)

As a last resort:
    Modified sinewave:
    https://www.ellies.co.za/product/144...ified-sinewave

https://www.geewiz.co.za/long-run-up...200_250_cycles

All I need to power is 2x laptops (each with an extended 24" LCD monitor), fibre router, a wireless printer (95% off of the time), 55" Smart TV + Playstation 4. There are also various mobile devices that connects via wifi to the fibre but they have their own power banks. Can live with the rest of the house (fridge. stove, etc) offline as I have do have solutions for these.

If loadshedding goes up to stage 4 (with shorter intervals), I want peace of mind that these units can recharge quickly for the next loadshedding.

Any advices?

Quote Originally Posted by GroenHoender View Post
    Absolutely correct, sir.

First priority is to get a power source that allows me to continue working, which is very important for me and my international employee, as we want to have minimal downtime. Many of my colleagues are in the same situation but most of them have their own houses, so they bought solar or build-in generator or some sort solution.

In my case, I do not own the house, so I am obviously looking at alternative options.

Once again, correct: decided to forget about the petrol/diesel-driven generator.

Currently looking at various inverter/sinewave units such as these SmartPower, Ellies, GeeWiz as shared by others in this thread. Definitely considering getting solar accessories for these inverter/sinewave units as my house face north with a constant, clear, sunny view (even in winter) which would be perfect for solar recharging.

Just still needing to make a decision regarding these units as they come in many various capacity such as 1200W or 1440W and pure sinewave.
    Unfortunately, many of these units are either out of stock or are delayed.

Stuff like this:
    Pure sinewave (the SPS-1000)

As a last resort:
    Modified sinewave:
    https://www.ellies.co.za/product/144...ified-sinewave

https://www.geewiz.co.za/long-run-up...200_250_cycles

All I need to power is 2x laptops (each with an extended 24" LCD monitor), fibre router, a wireless printer (95% off of the time), 55" Smart TV + Playstation 4. There are also various mobile devices that connects via wifi to the fibre but they have their own power banks. Can live with the rest of the house (fridge. stove, etc) offline as I have do have solutions for these.

If loadshedding goes up to stage 4 (with shorter intervals), I want peace of mind that these units can recharge quickly for the next loadshedding.

Any advices?
    U can also talk to the owner of the property to make a deal on the solar system to use the rental amount as payment for the system. If u move it stay on the property

I was advised NOT to use my printer while running on inverter power since it draws a large ?) amount of power.
    Given all your electronics I guess that pure sine wave will be recommended by most.
    Plenty of threads on the forum about this and batteries etc.
    As said above, maybe come to some sharing arrangement with the landlord, just remember that ownership is his once it is regarded as a fixture.
    Bit of an awkward one I would say. (Space for batteries, solar panels overnight?)

I have three sets of tenants on my own property and have looked into setting up a system to cover the basic needs for computer & screens. TV, etc.(Non-fridge, non-geyser, non-electric stove, kettle, toasters, etc.)
    My conclusion was that the costs were too high and not all three tenants (or potential future tenants) would require or agree to terms relating to the setup.
    So I provide for my own needs on the property only.
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2021/06/15 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Landlord perspective
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much beter than answering the telephone.
    [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]ISUZU KB 280 DT LE
    Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT.
    Platkar = Chevy Spark 1.2

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

I was advised NOT to use my printer while running on inverter power since it draws a large ?) amount of power
    I never use the printer, it is only there for my wife. It's 95% off, most of the time, until my wife remote works from home (when one of her colleagues have Covid) which is just about 1 or 2 times every 3 months.

Given all your electronics I guess that pure sine wave will be recommended by most.
    Plenty of threads on the forum about this and batteries etc.
    I am focusing on products with pure sinewave - just struggling to find one in stock, with adequate power to give me at least 4 to 8 hours.
    Majority of products only last 2-2.5 hours.

As said above, maybe come to some sharing arrangement with the landlord, just remember that ownership is his once it is regarded as a fixture.
    The agreement was that I can use/add anything that I want, as long as it is not a permanent fixure of the house.
    Only item that I have added was aircons for 2 rooms which he agreed with (it can be removed but if he chose to keep these, he will reimburse me an amount agreed upon for these).

The rest, like fibre, power, etc I will take with me if I move. So, I am only gathering for my own needs.
    Last edited by GroenHoender; 2021/06/15 at 11:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast