Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 239
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Randburg, Johannesburg
    Age
    54
    Posts
    204
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    I see your point. Did you have a look at used engines? Who is doing the installation? Please don't tell us it's the same dealership...
    Had too many people warning me against going for a used diesel engine, and going by my recent experience of broken Ford Ranger diesel engines, it wasn't very difficult to persuade me not to bother with a used engine. So it's a brand new engine straight from Ford (they are making money out of me, really.) and it will be fitted by another Ford dealership (the dealerships are making money out of me too), and it's a different dealership. The offending dealership did offer to fix the vehicle, actually I have an unsolicited written quotation from the Dealer Principal. As you can imagine, I didn't even bother to respond to the offer (too many bitter memories with this dealership - for all the recent mechanical breakdowns, the repair workmanship was provided by this dealership, and where did that take me . ..?)
    Last edited by Katerikar; 2021/07/22 at 08:15 AM.

  2. #182
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    371
    Thanked: 284

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I'd fix it with a second hand engine and flog it.
    Yeah my thinking exactly. But OP can't afford a better vehicle. He would have to spend money on the 2nd hand engine plus lose money on the trade in for another vehicle. ### position to be in

  3. #183
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    59
    Posts
    42,851
    Thanked: 20097

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    Yeah my thinking exactly. But OP can't afford a better vehicle. He would have to spend money on the 2nd hand engine plus lose money on the trade in for another vehicle. ### position to be in
    It's a 2013 model, the first failure was in 2018, surely this vehicle has been paid off?

    Even an old D4D Hilux or Isuzu would be a better bet...........
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Randburg, Johannesburg
    Age
    54
    Posts
    204
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    It's a 2013 model, the first failure was in 2018, surely this vehicle has been paid off?

    Even an old D4D Hilux or Isuzu would be a better bet...........
    It's paid up, but I'm still paying for my wife's BMW, possibly up until February next year, so can't afford to add and pay for two cars at the same time right now.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Katerikar For This Useful Post:


  6. #185
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    12
    Thanked: 14

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Owning a Ford and a BMW? You are a sucker for punishment hey?...

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to NickSmit For This Useful Post:


  8. #186
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Randburg, Johannesburg
    Age
    54
    Posts
    204
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by NickSmit View Post
    Owning a Ford and a BMW? You are a sucker for punishment hey?...
    Trust me, the BMW has behaved a lot better than the Ranger, it has been solid! and it's a diesel too. So if I had to choose between the two . . . .
    Last edited by Katerikar; 2021/07/23 at 10:08 PM.

  9. #187
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Randburg, Johannesburg
    Age
    54
    Posts
    204
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Something i learned recently .. . been speaking to a number of lawyers (4 lawyers to be exact) over the past few weeks about my problems, some interesting things I found out: the 4 of them said there are mounting cases of Ford vehicle owners with severe mechanical problems caused mainly by poor after-sales service at Ford Dealerships around the country. Also, that Ford Motor Company SA and its dealerships/franchises are increasingly taking a very hardline against customers experiencing problems with their Ford vehicles, and that many of these dealerships wont even cooperate with investigations by independent investigators.

    Thirdly, that the Motor Industry Ombudsman's Office is a waste of time because its investigators are more likely to issue judgements in favour of the dealerships, even where the evidence is overwhelmingly in favour of the consumers (apparently the reason is that the Office is funded by the industry - so clearly, not likely to bite the hand that feeds it). So they basically advised me against wasting my time with the MIO's Office (By the way, the guy who inspected my Ranger also said I shouldn't bother taking my case to the the MIO). Initially, I took my problem to the Ford Motor Company SA Customer Care Division in Pretoria, thinking that they would intervene, and the Customer Relations Officer assigned to handle my case appeared interested to find out if I would consider taking my case to the MIO. At first this didn't make sense to me, until i learned about the MIO's pattern of judgements.
    Im sure for many of you guys, all this is old news.
    Last edited by Katerikar; 2021/07/23 at 10:42 PM.

  10. #188
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    46
    Posts
    4,865
    Thanked: 1052

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Katerikar View Post
    Something i learned recently .. . been speaking to a number of lawyers (4 lawyers to be exact) over the past few weeks about my problems, some interesting things I found out: the 4 of them said there are mounting cases of Ford vehicle owners with severe mechanical problems caused mainly by poor after-sales service at Ford Dealerships around the country. Also, that Ford Motor Company SA and its dealerships/franchises are increasingly taking a very hardline against customers experiencing problems with their Ford vehicles, and that many of these dealerships wont even cooperate with investigations by independent investigators.

    Thirdly, that the Motor Industry Ombudsman's Office is a waste of time because its investigators are more likely to issue judgements in favour of the dealerships, even where the evidence is overwhelmingly in favour of the consumers (apparently the reason is that the Office is funded by the industry - so clearly, not likely to bite the hand that feeds it). So they basically advised me against wasting my time with the MIO's Office (By the way, the guy who inspected my Ranger also said I shouldn't bother taking my case to the the MIO). Initially, I took my problem to the Ford Motor Company SA Customer Care Division in Pretoria, thinking that they would intervene, and the Customer Relations Officer assigned to handle my case appeared interested to find out if I would consider taking my case to the MIO. At first this didn't make sense to me, until i learned about the MIO's pattern of judgements.
    Im sure for many of you guys, all this is old news.
    As opposed to other industry Ombudsman, it is currently (or was at least the last time I checked about 4 years ago) voluntary to subscribe to and subject your company to the Motor Industry Ombudsman's jurisdiction and authority - thus like an old dog with no teeth and no use pursuing this route.
    Nico Swart

    Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

    One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

  11. #189
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Ballito
    Posts
    642
    Thanked: 2944

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by NickSmit View Post
    Owning a Ford and a BMW? You are a sucker for punishment hey?...
    Really?

    Have owned 12 Beemers. Going to pull trigger on another sometime not too far into the future. Have not had a single failure on any of them. All driven with vigour. Would be good to know what experience you have had to make this remark. Apologies for OT.
    Jaco Nell

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:


  13. #190
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    58
    Posts
    134
    Thanked: 172

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    I had dealings with the motor industry ombudsman many moons ago. It related to the advertised ground clearance of the brand new Prado 120 series of 245mm. Actual with a driver and tank of fuel 190mm. He ruled against me. ( you sign over all your rights and are bound by his ruling)

    Of interest I recently purchased a FJ Cruiser and the Toyota dealership wanted me to sign an agreement whereby any disputes would be resolved via the MIO. I politely told them what they can do with the contract. The MIO is paid by the industry and is invited to all the launches and events ( skid pan, 4x4 events) he is completely captured by the industry.

  14. #191
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Henties
    Posts
    4,376
    Thanked: 2229

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Really?

    Have owned 12 Beemers. Going to pull trigger on another sometime not too far into the future. Have not had a single failure on any of them. All driven with vigour. Would be good to know what experience you have had to make this remark. Apologies for OT.
    Sounds like you change quite often. How would you know about their reliability? If you owned all 12 of them for an average of 5 years, you would be 78 by now, at least. My Alfa was good for 3 years...
    2007 Volvo S60
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser -sold-

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:


  16. #192
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Ballito
    Posts
    642
    Thanked: 2944

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Sounds like you change quite often. How would you know about their reliability? If you owned all 12 of them for an average of 5 years, you would be 78 by now, at least. My Alfa was good for 3 years...
    Lowest trade/sell on mileage across a couple was 98 000 km or in that region. Avoided having to extend motorplan - granted. Not that Motorplan ever had to pay for anything else than services / wear & tear items. Highest mileage when sold was a 528i at 329 000 kms. Have owned several at the same time - and since 1992. I did (and still do) a lot of mileage p.a. I would hazard average sell-on/trade mileage across all of them was about 140 - 150 000 kms. Hope this puts you at ease regarding my post (I have never owned ANY vehicle in my life for a stretch of 5 years. Some of the Beemers I regret not having put in storage though. My ongoing chopping & changing is a result of high annual kms, certain tax benefits but mostly good olde "gatjeuk". I am 52, I only look 78. Was the weekends that stuffed me up).

    *Edit. I desire an Alfa deeply. Never owned one. As Jeremy Clarkson said, Alfa ownership at some stage in life is minimum requirement to be regarded a petrolhead. I would certainly go and have a long hard look at the Guilia on my way to the BMW dealership.b
    Last edited by jaconell; 2021/07/25 at 11:40 AM.
    Jaco Nell

  17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jaconell For This Useful Post:


  18. #193
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    Now that is a brilliant solution - every Ford should have a Toyota engine in it.
    it's probably the only way to get a reliable Ford

  19. #194
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Randburg, Johannesburg
    Age
    54
    Posts
    204
    Thanked: 25

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Katerikar View Post
    Had too many people warning me against going for a used diesel engine, and going by my recent experience of broken Ford Ranger diesel engines, it wasn't very difficult to persuade me not to bother with a used engine. So it's a brand new engine straight from Ford (they are making money out of me, really.) and it will be fitted by another Ford dealership
    Guys, latest developments in my troubles to get my car fixed: Got a quotation from a different Ford Dealership as I said before, (around R78,000.00) to put a new 3.2 T6 engine, sounded like a great deal, so accepted and towed the vehicle over there, then 24hours later, the quotation was switched-up, to over R100,000.00 . . . classic bait and switch trick (all kinds of additional stuff - parts, bells/whistles & trinkets., - were added onto the original quotation), and trying to get some of that stuff off the quotation to bring the price back down was like playing a game of Russian roulette with my car, so got fed up and cancelled the deal.

    Just towed the vehicle to an independent workshop not far from me for engine rebuild/reconditioning (estimate: R70k). Fingers crossed, hopefully the last destination for my car. I've had it with these dealerships!

  20. #195
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    59
    Posts
    42,851
    Thanked: 20097

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Katerikar View Post
    Just towed the vehicle to an independent workshop not far from me for engine rebuild/reconditioning (estimate: R70k). Fingers crossed, hopefully the last destination for my car. I've had it with these dealerships!
    I doubt if many forumites trust any dealer. That's why most of us switch to an independent workshop as soon as the warranty and service plans expire.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  21. #196
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    371
    Thanked: 284

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I doubt if many forumites trust any dealer. That's why most of us switch to an independent workshop as soon as the warranty and service plans expire.
    The vehicle is cursed. Let it go. Sell the vehicle as it is and sell the engine separately. Take whatever you get out of it 1. Buy whatever bakkie you can get for the price and fix only major issues with it if any 2. Put the cash down on a new car loan and get yourself something newer. It's an 8 y/o car, you will have a new engine but more expenses will crop soon... Dust yourself off and get yourself something you can trust. Sorry you had to go through this - wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy

  22. #197
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    59
    Posts
    42,851
    Thanked: 20097

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Schambies View Post
    The vehicle is cursed. Let it go. Sell the vehicle as it is and sell the engine separately. Take whatever you get out of it 1. Buy whatever bakkie you can get for the price and fix only major issues with it if any 2. Put the cash down on a new car loan and get yourself something newer. It's an 8 y/o car, you will have a new engine but more expenses will crop soon... Dust yourself off and get yourself something you can trust. Sorry you had to go through this - wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy
    He can't or won't. He's in debt on a Beemer............and won't trade down at any cost. Already had that discussion.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  23. #198
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    69
    Posts
    5,002
    Thanked: 1226

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by jaconell View Post
    Really?

    Have owned 12 Beemers.
    Had one BMW, but must agree very nice car to drive. No failure but overall.... did not considered another one.

    Basically about only requirement I have is functionality, if a vehicle stays 3 days in the workshop for a service or to replace serviceable parts, I moved to next fabricate the next time. Very few makes I did not tried out.

    Had one Ford also.
    Last edited by JLK; 2021/07/29 at 12:09 PM.
    Johan Kriel

  24. #199
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Harties Boet
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,188
    Thanked: 2022

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    Quote Originally Posted by Katerikar View Post
    Just towed the vehicle to an independent workshop not far from me for engine rebuild/reconditioning (estimate: R70k). Fingers crossed, hopefully the last destination for my car. I've had it with these dealerships!
    Bloody hell, what a story!!
    So now, from the bold above, are you not going with a new motor anymore and fixing the old one?
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

  25. #200
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    34
    Posts
    18
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

    I joined recently to get information before buying my first bakkie, after reading this thread, the ranger has dropped down my list but not fallen off completely, since it's my first time hearing of such failures, the three people in my circle who own the T6 have nothing bad to say (all have the 2.2)

    My 2 cents on BMWs having owned two and been part of owners clubs.... German engines struggle to match the reliability of their Asian counterparts (in my humble opinion based on experience). BMW reliability is very engine specific, the diesel engines are tried and tested as are the older straight 6 petrol engines, the reliability problems came in with the newer low displacement high output petrol engines; very troublesome!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •