Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Angry Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

Can anybody (including Ford Motor Company SA) tell me why my Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCI XLT Double Cab (Manual, 2013 model) needs a second engine replacement in less than 3 years? Why does this vehicle keep suffering repeated component failures which led to two catastrophic engine failures in less than 3 years, leaving me with huge engine replacement costs?

Some of you on this forum might recall that in June/July 2018 I posted a series of threads on this forum, telling you how my Ford Ranger suffered a component failure and let to an engine breakdown in June 2018. The car was subsequently fitted with a brand new engine in July 2018.

Soon after the new engine was installed, the car suffered fuel injector failures on two occasions (one in 2019, one in early 2020). Now there has been another (a third) fuel injector failure last weekend, and this time around, apparently the fuel injector failure led to the vehicle being over-fueled, which has then damaged the new engine that was installed in July 2018 (less than 3 years ago). So, apparently I need another new engine replacement (again!!).

The recent incident happened when I was driving back from Rustenburg last weekend (Friday evening, between 19h00 and 20h00), and as I approached Lanseria Airport (North of Randburg), the vehicle developed an loud knocking sound from the engine. At some stage I stopped the vehicle, opened the bonnet while the vehicle was in idle mode, to see if there was anything out of place in the engine bay area. I didnt see or hear anything. Also, there were no warning lights or signs on the dashboard. No white or dark smoke coming out of the engine area or the exhaust pipe at the back.

So I continued driving and the loud knocking sound reappeared as the vehicle was driving, but withing 3 to 5 kilometres of driving, there was one last loud knocking sound from the engine and the vehicle cut off, and i parked it on the side of the road. I called a tow truck and had the vehicle towed to the Ford Dealership in Constantia Kloof, Johannesburg. Four days later, I received a call from the dealership to tell me that the engine was damaged, and that I need a new engine - the second engine replacement in less than 3 years. I thought this was a joke, but it's not!

This vehicle has a complete and up-to-date service history; it has not been misused or abused; it is used 90% of the time around Johannesburg to commute to work and back home (12 km to and from my office). Once or twice a month, i drive to Limpopo or North West to visit, that's it. So
    the idea of my Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCI having to undergo two new engine replacements in less than 3 years sounds like a cruel joke!!!!

Ironically, I still love the Ford Ranger Series!
    Last edited by Katerikar; 2021/06/04 at 10:50 AM. Reason: for greater clarity

Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

Question.. Are the engine replacements brand new or patched repair jobs?
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

Sounds like they don't really know how to design an engine. It's much like landrovers that lost many, many engines, for the sake of a low water alarm. Even mk1 golfs had a low water sensor.

Most modern ECUs have a pretty good idea what is going on, and have pretty tight control of the injectors and have at least 1 knock sensor lurking around. To loose an engine in this day and age, is unforgivable and it just means that the OEM is cheaping out on some basic sensors that should be included and probably a few more lines of code that should have been written into the ECU.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenplumb For This Useful Post:

Not ever touching a Ford. Just too many cases these days.

FYI

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ement-imminent
    Nico Swart

Triton 2.5DiD D/C with SS
    ZS6NJS

One day, or Day One. You decide. Tomorrow is promised for no one!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Die SwartKat For This Useful Post:

Cheers
    Willem Greyling

"When the wise man points at the moon, the imbecile examines the finger" - Confucius

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MANDREAS For This Useful Post:

It sounds like they replaced the engine but used the old injectors? They fix the engine but left all the other problems untouched like water pipes, injectors, radiator etc, it is pointless they replace the engine but used old faulty parts from the previous engine.
    Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Out of interest - has your catalytic converter ever been checked? I have a suspicion that the injector failure on my Isuzu (2011) was caused by a badly clogged up cat.

I suspect that a lot of people don't consider this.

About a year ago I said that I believe the Ford Ranger engines just need some basic, streamlining.

A proper diesel filtration system. I prefer UDF My injectors are still very healthy after 400kkm. (Granted, I don't drive Ford)

Take out then EGR. Give that engine the clean air it deserves.

Take out all the back pressure. Make sure it can breathe freely.

But, this just me from the peanut gallery.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

That is why I did this......
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2012 FORD RANGER T6 4X4 - 4.3 LEXUS CONVERSION

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PietRangerbostrok For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PietRangerbostrok View Post
    That is why I did this......
    Now that is a brilliant solution - every Ford should have a Toyota engine in it.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

083 399 2046

16. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Uys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MANDREAS View Post
    Hei...eet jou eie popcorn!
    Robert van den Berg

'98 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    '02 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence."

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by WernerDV View Post
    Out of interest - has your catalytic converter ever been checked? I have a suspicion that the injector failure on my Isuzu (2011) was caused by a badly clogged up cat.

I suspect that a lot of people don't consider this.
    I am an ignoramus. How are the two linked?
    Johan Swanepoel

"Nkabe ke ngwana wa morago"

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie1960 View Post
    I am an ignoramus. How are the two linked?
    A clogged up cat causes raise in EGT.
    Willie Knoetze

2019 Nissan NP300 2.5tdi d/c 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by FWM View Post
    A clogged up cat causes raise in EGT.
    So the back pressure causes injector failure? I would have thought valve / camshaft / rings complications first.
    Johan Swanepoel

Quote Originally Posted by Swannie1960 View Post
    So the back pressure causes injector failure? I would have thought valve / camshaft / rings complications first.
    Don't know about back pressure. The higher combustion temps will. All 4 my seals were leaking.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to WernerDV For This Useful Post:

FWM

Quote Originally Posted by WernerDV View Post
    Don't know about back pressure. The higher combustion temps will. All 4 my seals were leaking.
    Thanks. Never thought of higher combustion temp.
    Johan Swanepoel

Really sorry to hear of your troubles!

I also have a 2013 3.2XLT 4X2 6-speed manual. Current Mileage 310620km. Original gearbox.
    Only issue was damaged water pipe frayed against battery earth cable. Lead to damaged head gasket.
    Only realised gasket was damaged after 2 trips Durban-Sasolburg and back and Durban-Kruger Park and back.
    SAC in Vanderbijlpark picked it up (mileage 191000km) when they upgraded turbo, intercooler, chip and exhaust.
    Retune done February 2021. Now pushing 190kW and 605Nm at the wheels.

In my opinion the toughest bakkie yet. Hauls heavy loads and a heavy trailer almost daily.
    Carry out oil and oil filter change every 7500km.

It is rather worrying yet again, I see threads like these - and a LOT of them engine failures on all sorts of other facebook groups, and ford forums.

Is Ford SA taking note? how can this be going on since ever the t6 started production?

Also I hear from a lot of workshops (since my ford is a whorshop frequent also) that they very often replace these 2.2 and 3.2 engines. I have been told (not sure if its true but what do I know about engines anyways) that the pistons are thin or the tops are thin to make the engines smoother and sound more modern and less vibrations, hence they easily gets a hole in it from even a slightly dripping injector.

At least my old 3.0 engine is still going perfect since the headgasket last year.

And my brother recently bought a 2.2 ranger workhorse low output - lets hope the low output doesnt suffer the same fate as the rest one day. (odo is already on 195K)
    Willem

Ford Ranger 3.0Tdci Super Cab 4x4
    (workshop whore)

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WAJ For This Useful Post:

I repeat.

I doubt there is any fault on either of those engines. I just think that they are so badly strangled, that any engine would respond in the same way.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henris For This Useful Post:

Also had a engine replacement on 160k km. 2012.

With the new engine, I would think the bakkie should at least drive much better, but I hear too many "sounds"
    Did a full exhaust, as the Cat were clogged, installed a upgraded (and much larger) intercooler. I think next will be a proper tune, at a place with a dyno, not just uploaded maps.

all in the name of saving the engine.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast