Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Katerikar View Post
    Never suffered any other mechanical issues since I bought this car except engine related failures (4 serious mechanical failures: 3 of them were fuel injectors failures. 1 of the failures was a coolant leak, which led to engine overheating). I have never had any other mechanical failure besides those 4. And curiously, all the 4 engine mechanical failures happened on my way back to Joburg, from Limpopo). The first engine replacement occurred in July 2018, mileage was 175 000km. The second engine replacement (the new engine) has come at approximately 70/80 000 km since July 2018. The current odometer reading is 255000 (because they don't reset the odometer reading when they replace the engine with a new one)
    It really could be bad diesel. But it could also be a bad injector or piston due to Ford's quality control.

Your warranty has long gone, no need to stay married to a dealership. Why not take the quote to an independent mechanic and find out how much it will cost there? They might even be able to fix it by rebuilding the motor instead of replacing the unit.

I won't drive a Ranger that isn't under warranty, whereas my Isuzu and Yotas go far more than 300k km. Our Kia and Hyundai trucks go more than 200k km, but they're bodies are usually vrot by 300k km

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PhlippieV For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

Sorry for your problem , we can all have our say but it is you who have to unfortunately foot the bill .
    If dirty diesel was a problem at a certain pump site then surely more vehicle makes would be affected .
    I would ask the dealer this question " If a new engine is fitted and I drive away R130 000 poorer how long will it be before that engine also gives trouble ? "
    Are you prepared to pay R 130 000 on a product when the dealer is not walking the mile with you ?
    Yes when we talk to a mechanic who works at a Ford dealership we sooner or later get onto this 3.2 diesel subject , if I was in the market for a bakkie I would not buy one of these . Has Ford done enough for its customers , unfortunately not , surely your dealer should not want to loose a loyal customer ?
    Maths take over , fix it and then sell it or sell as it is , the former should be the way to go .

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rayll For This Useful Post:

The interesting thing about the modern diesel engines is that the ECU relies on information from sensors all over the engine. If you have a faulty sensor it could lead to catastrophic failure as I experienced.

I have a 2011 Land Rover Defender with a 2.4 TDCi (FORD) engine and 250 000km on the clock. The engine ran well, didn't use any oil or smoke under load. Heading towards Upington on a hot day I melted number 1 piston. NO performance chip, just the standard ECU.
    Everyone told me that it was a faulty injector. I had them all tested and they were all delivering the same fuel volume an not dripping.
    Long story short, I replaced the engine with a new one from JLR and put in new injectors just to be sure. I had also found that my AIRCON was working intermittently.
    It was traced to a faulty air mass meter that a previous owner had tampered with. It would occasionally give a default temperature reading of -40 degrees celcius to the ECU.
    This error, when the ambient is +38 degrees celcius is a difference of 78 degrees. Travelling at 120 kph the ECU thinks that its getting cold dense air at a high volume and adds too much fuel. RESULT: melted piston!

Quote Originally Posted by PhlippieV View Post
    My 2.2 ranger needed an engine replacement at 26k km. Got it back last week. Piston cracked due to bad injector, injectors also replaced. This is my third Ranger. Also my last.
    Bought new? Or secondhand?
    What caused the injector to have issues?

You owned 3 Rangers, and only the 3rd one gives you such an impression that you don't like Ford?
    Every brand has their problem vehicles.

I drive a 2015 2.2 Ford Ranger T6, bought brandnew. Still going strong. No problems whatsoever. Only had the battery replaced in the 4th year.
    That was it. And I ain't gonna dish Ford.

Hi Guys, here's my 2cents. After a engine replacement on my 2013 3.2 BT 50 at Aurinia Ford in Silverton, this is
    what I learned from a Indy that is mates with a Ford Tech:

The 3.2 originally was used and designed by VOLVO as a petrol engine. Yes, PETROL!. Ford bought the design/patent
    rights/whatever from Volvo. They converted it to diesel. On the 3.2 (and 2.2), the turbo is situated RIGHT NEXT to the
    engine block. Turbo spools up, get nice and HOT, and heat is transferred to the metal engine block. Where the head gasket,
    injectors and pistons is located (obviously). So more heat from the turbo heat-sinks to the engine. A nice recipe for a *^&%^
    DISASTER. Now you get injectors, Turbo's, pistons and gaskets failing from all the heat cycles.

Apparently, some of the first batch of 3.2 Fords did not even made the 15 - 30km trip from the factory to the showroom before
    something major broke.

This came from a Ford tech. Take it or leave it.

Default Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by GroenHoender View Post
    Bought new? Or secondhand?
    What caused the injector to have issues?

You owned 3 Rangers, and only the 3rd one gives you such an impression that you don't like Ford?
    Every brand has their problem vehicles.

I drive a 2015 2.2 Ford Ranger T6, bought brandnew. Still going strong. No problems whatsoever. Only had the battery replaced in the 4th year.
    That was it. And I ain't gonna dish Ford.
    There are many Rangers that haven't had issues. My dad is in his 2nd Ranger, worry free.
    Die Ford ry BAIE lekker. But it hasn't been hassle free. Ranger 1 had an oil pump and turbo replaced. Ranger 2 had a common rail replaced. Twice. The above didn't leave me stranded by the side of the road. Ranger 3 did.
    Ranger 3 was brand new. standard. Dealer didn't say what caused the injector to fail, I should ask him when I go back again. Thanks.

Up until recently I've only had excellent service from my local.
    But that went out the window with the engine failure. A work bakkie without support is a liability when it breaks.

I'm hoping that the Isuzu bakkies will have Trailer Sway Control in their mid tier options by the time that I divorce Ranger 3. Otherwise I'll have to buy a 2.4hilux. TSC is non negotiable.

I do 45k a year, most of that with heavy trailers. My bakkies work hard, and next time I'll trade some comfort for reliability.
    Last edited by PhlippieV; 2021/06/15 at 03:18 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PhlippieV For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by oupaxander View Post
    All of this borders on pure speculation. Get an expert to investigate the engine, components, and all other ancillary parts to determine the cause(s) of the engine failure(s). Then (and only then) will you be able to say what the cause is and whether Ford’s engines can validly be opined to be this or that.

While you are (understandably) frustrated, to blame a new engine for an issue / cause that the relevant mechanic possibly failed to diagnose and address, is unfortunate.
    Fair point, I agree entirely with what you're saying and I've done exactly that. Two weeks ago I hired an AA approved mechanic to conduct a thorough examination/inspection of the vehicle while it's parked at the dealership. The dealership has been helpful to give him space to inspect the vehicle over there. He is about to complete the work and im looking forward to his report hopefully soon. I am extremely frustrated. Suffering a catastrophic engine breakdown twice in less than 3 years is crazy.
    Last edited by Katerikar; 2021/06/19 at 07:26 AM.

My 2.2 ranger needed an engine replacement at 26k km. Got it back last week. Piston cracked due to bad injector, injectors also replaced. This is my third Ranger. Also my last.

Putting some kms on it and it will go back on Saturday for its 30k service and to sort out all the new installation niggles. Already had to go back for an oil leak that needed sorting.

The bakkie was at my local dealership (Somerset West) for a month. A faulty product is one thing, but bad support is another. Ford is dead to me.

My truck fleet is going all Isuzu, my bakkie will also when the current bakkie gets replaced. Hopefully I can service it at where my trucks go. Boland Isuzu Paarl. They are amazing.

I'm developing a similar attitude broer! if it's not bad product, then it's bad support systems/after-sales service, or worse - all of the above!

The witness mentality is strong in this thread.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan ‘n man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daar’s nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

It really could be bad diesel. But it could also be a bad injector or piston due to Ford's quality control.

Your warranty has long gone, no need to stay married to a dealership. Why not take the quote to an independent mechanic and find out how much it will cost there? They might even be able to fix it by rebuilding the motor instead of replacing the unit.

I won't drive a Ranger that isn't under warranty, whereas my Isuzu and Yotas go far more than 300k km. Our Kia and Hyundai trucks go more than 200k km, but they're bodies are usually vrot by 300k km
    I'd appreciate any referrals to an good independent Ford Mechanic/Workshop in Joburg, please. Anytime. So guys, anyone of you in here, if you want to refer me to a good, reliable/trusted Independent Ford Mechanic (I live in northern Joburg) id appreciate the help (very urgent!)

The above didn't leave me stranded by the side of the road. Ranger 3 did.
    Ranger 3 was brand new. standard. Dealer didn't say what caused the injector to fail, I should ask him when I go back again.
    Isn't it curious that the dealership always doesn't tell you why the injectors failed? My Ranger left me stranded on the side of the road on 4 different occasions, all of them after long inter-provincial trips. Three of those failures were caused by fuel injector failures, and the dealership always tells you that the fuel injectors failed (without giving a clear/understandable explanation as to why this component failed the way it did). They are always very keen to give you an expensive written quotation of the repair work needed, and the quotation always leaves the customer's head spinning and eyes popping with shock.
    Last edited by Katerikar; 2021/06/19 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    We will need more detail on obtaining information
    PM me your registration number
    Hi, did you get the PM by the way?, sent same day.

Hi, did you get the PM by the way?, sent same day.
    Yes
    They are refusing to give me any information.. I'm trying something else

2021 FJ Cruiser

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Shut, Willem, the word is shut the f up..
    I quite liked the “Shat”, as a matter of interest, my Ford engine also went, after reading all the issues everyone was having, I didn’t bother to fix it as the bill was to high, I didn’t find anyone slating the Triton engines, so I bought a Triton

Wonder what engine gearbox setup will be used on the new Amarok when it comes out, now that Fords building it ?

Quote Originally Posted by Revs! View Post
    I quite liked the “Shat”, as a matter of interest, my Ford engine also went, after reading all the issues everyone was having, I didn’t bother to fix it as the bill was to high, I didn’t find anyone slating the Triton engines, so I bought a Triton
    Diesel? How long ago and how's it doing?

Can anybody (including Ford Motor Company SA) tell me why my Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCI XLT Double Cab (Manual, 2013 model) needs a second engine replacement in less than 3 years? Why does this vehicle keep suffering repeated component failures which led to two catastrophic engine failures in less than 3 years, leaving me with huge engine replacement costs?

Some of you on this forum might recall that in June/July 2018 I posted a series of threads on this forum, telling you how my Ford Ranger suffered a component failure and let to an engine breakdown in June 2018. The car was subsequently fitted with a brand new engine in July 2018.

Soon after the new engine was installed, the car suffered fuel injector failures on two occasions (one in 2019, one in early 2020). Now there has been another (a third) fuel injector failure last weekend, and this time around, apparently the fuel injector failure led to the vehicle being over-fueled, which has then damaged the new engine that was installed in July 2018 (less than 3 years ago). So, apparently I need another new engine replacement (again!!).

The recent incident happened when I was driving back from Rustenburg last weekend (Friday evening, between 19h00 and 20h00), and as I approached Lanseria Airport (North of Randburg), the vehicle developed an loud knocking sound from the engine. At some stage I stopped the vehicle, opened the bonnet while the vehicle was in idle mode, to see if there was anything out of place in the engine bay area. I didnt see or hear anything. Also, there were no warning lights or signs on the dashboard. No white or dark smoke coming out of the engine area or the exhaust pipe at the back.

So I continued driving and the loud knocking sound reappeared as the vehicle was driving, but withing 3 to 5 kilometres of driving, there was one last loud knocking sound from the engine and the vehicle cut off, and i parked it on the side of the road. I called a tow truck and had the vehicle towed to the Ford Dealership in Constantia Kloof, Johannesburg. Four days later, I received a call from the dealership to tell me that the engine was damaged, and that I need a new engine - the second engine replacement in less than 3 years. I thought this was a joke, but it's not!

This vehicle has a complete and up-to-date service history; it has not been misused or abused; it is used 90% of the time around Johannesburg to commute to work and back home (12 km to and from my office). Once or twice a month, i drive to Limpopo or North West to visit, that's it. So
    the idea of my Ford Ranger 3.2 TDCI having to undergo two new engine replacements in less than 3 years sounds like a cruel joke!!!!

Ironically, I still love the Ford Ranger Series!

Guys, latest developments in my story: A independent auto mechanic conducted a thorough examination/inspection of the vehicle and the report has an interesting twist to it: Basically, when the first engine replacement was carried out in 2018, poor workmanship in the installation of the fuel injectors was what caused them to malfunction. The report says the injectors were rattling loose for a long time and that was because during installation, the mechsnics at the dealership failed to tighten them. So this was an accident waiting to happen (poor quality work). The first engine failure in 2018 was also poor quality �� service by a Ford Dealership where the vehicle was serviced just before the failure: They failed to notice a faulty component during routine/scheduled service and maintenance work, and later the component subsequently malfunctioned during a long distance trip, leading to engine overheating and damaged ( i had to get a nes engine installed in 2018. Now, less than 3 years later, I will possibly be installing another new engine shortly).

Cheers guys!
    Last edited by Katerikar; 2021/07/07 at 08:26 AM.

Guys, latest developments in my story: A independent auto mechanic conducted a thorough examination/inspection of the vehicle and the report has an interesting twist to it: Basically, when the first engine replacement was carried out in 2018, poor workmanship in the installation of the fuel injectors was what caused them to malfunction. The report says the injectors were rattling loose for a long time and that was because during installation, the mechsnics at the dealership failed to tighten them. So this was an accident waiting to happen (poor quality work). The first engine failure in 2018 was also poor quality �� service by a Ford Dealership where the vehicle was serviced just before the failure: They failed to notice a faulty component during routine/scheduled service and maintenance work, and later the component subsequently malfunctioned during a long distance trip, leading to engine overheating and damaged ( i had to get a nes engine installed in 2018. Now, less than 3 years later, I will possibly be installing another new engine shortly).

Cheers guys!
    What is Ford doing about it?
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

Ford SA won't do anything. If poor workmanship was the cause it is between the dealer and customer. Civil case maybe? Good luck proving poor workmanship in court.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast