Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Katerikar View Post
    Also don't understand how the makers of this engine could continue to just live with the fact that customers are losing this engines at such a high frequency rate? This must surely be a clear and bad comment on the company's engineering competency!
    Maybe they need someone to give them a call, sounds like the sort of advice they badly need!
    Agreed! life is too short!!! Spending R130,000 on a new T6 Ford Ranger 3.2TDIC engine every 2 years and six months is just plain crazy. My car is 8 years old this year, and if I go ahead with the engine replacement, it will be a 3rd engine in 8 years. ...This is insane stupid!!!
    In what way? How old is yours, and how many engine replacements have you had so far?

I would love to hear the other side of this story...

Could you provide us with the name of the places that replaced your engines?
    Maybe some contact numbers of the people who inspected and evaluated the damage?
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2021/06/11 at 06:26 AM.

2021 FJ Cruiser

Default Re: Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

Katerikar, what year and model is your Ford??

New engine is R 130000, did I read correctly??

edit - sorry, got it just now in OP.

Sooooo.........you gonna replace the engine again....??
    Last edited by Petri Oosthuizen; 2021/06/11 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jouko View Post
    Worth to read this study:
    I have just read this report, very useful/eye opening but I still have a few questions: why dont we see more engine failures from a variety of other makes of vehicles if the dirty diesel is the culprit that inevitably leads to engine failures? My wife drives a BMW 120d, it's 9 years old. My Ford Ranger T6 is 8 years old. I fill both vehicles at Sasol petrol Stations only, using Sasol diesel 10 ppm only, which is supposedly cleaner. My wife's BMW has never suffered a single engine failure! I'm about to get the 3rd Ford Ranger T6 engine in 8 years. What gives
    Last edited by Katerikar; 2021/06/11 at 06:32 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Katerikar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post

Maybe some contact numbers of the people who inspected and evaluated the damage?
    I have just read this report, very useful/eye opening but I still gave a few questions: why dont we see more engine failures from a variety of other makes of vehicles? my wife drives a BMW 120d, it's 9 years old. My Ford Ranger T6 is 8 years old. I fill both vehicles at Sasol petrol Stations, using Sasol diesel 10 ppm, which is supposedly cleaner. My wife's BMW has never suffered a single engine failure! I'm about to get the 3rd Ford Ranger T6 engine in 8 years. What gives
    Come, let us get feedback from the guys
    Give us some info

2021 FJ Cruiser

Kat......whats your current mileage?

Have you only had engine issues, or gearbox as well??

Not playing Devils Advocate here, just curious.

Strongs with your decisions going forward here man.........a R 130 000 bill is a bitter pill to swallow

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post

Action Ford Constantia kloof, Johannesburg (that's my regular service agents) . My car is there right now. When the car underwent engine change in 2018, one of the mechanics said they carry out these engine replacements all the time ( I hated hearing that, having bought the car already at that point, but at least I appreciated the fact that he was honest with me)
    Last edited by Katerikar; 2021/06/11 at 06:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Katerikar, what year and model is your Ford??

Sooooo.........you gonna replace the engine again....??
    Either that, or buy Toyota Hilux D4D.

Action Ford Constantia kloof, Johannesburg (that's my regular service agents) . My car is there right now. When the car underwent engine change in 2018, one of the mechanics said they carry out these engine replacements all the time ( I hated hearing that, having bought the car already at that point, but at least I appreciated the fact that he was honest with me)
    We will need more detail on obtaining information
    PM me your registration number

2021 FJ Cruiser

Either that, or buy Toyota Hilux D4D.
    When faith is lost its is the worst. Ask yourself if you have enough faith in the product to take you to some isolated destination. Then the choice is simple.

Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zapiture For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Kat......whats your current mileage?

Have you only had engine issues, or gearbox as well??

Not playing Devils Advocate here, just curious.

Strongs with your decisions going forward here man.........a R 130 000 bill is a bitter pill to swallow
    Never suffered any other mechanical issues since I bought this car except engine related failures (4 serious mechanical failures: 3 of them were fuel injectors failures. 1 of the failures was a coolant leak, which led to engine overheating). I have never had any other mechanical failure besides those 4. And curiously, all the 4 engine mechanical failures happened on my way back to Joburg, from Limpopo). The first engine replacement occurred in July 2018, mileage was 175 000km. The second engine replacement (the new engine) has come at approximately 70/80 000 km since July 2018. The current odometer reading is 255000 (because they don't reset the odometer reading when they replace the engine with a new one)
    Last edited by Katerikar; 2021/06/11 at 07:16 AM.

another a friend off mine story....

But a friend of mine also lost his second 3.2 engine, it`s been parked in a garage for almost 2 years now as he cant sell it due to still owning money on it and a Ranger without a running engine doesnt fetch much, and he cant afford to have it fixed again.
    Last edited by Tiaan Pot; 2021/06/11 at 07:38 AM.

Never suffered any other mechanical issues since I bought this car except engine related failures (4 serious mechanical failures: 3 of them were fuel injectors failures. 1 of the failures was a coolant leak, which led to engine overheating). I have never had any other mechanical failure besides those 4. And curiously, all the 4 engine mechanical failures happened on my way back to Joburg, from Limpopo). The first engine replacement occurred in July 2018, mileage was 175 000km. The second engine replacement (the new engine) has come at approximately 70/80 000 km since July 2018. The current odometer reading is 255000 (because they don't reset the odometer reading when they replace the engine with a new one)
    Thanks - was just curious.

Bad spot you are in man.........255000km, so there may be some other components also on their way out, andyou have that mountain of money to spend on the engine now
    Stuff like the gearbox/tranny/cooling/ etc etc.......Id just make 200% sure all those stuff are still OK before splashing on a new motor (again).

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bergh View Post
    My father in law is on his 3rd 3.2 Engine 2016 model 150 000, brother in law on his 2nd 2.2 Engine 2017 model 84 000 and my neighbor had his 2nd engine installed 3.2 2016 model 96 000 he now went over to VW. I normally don't give any credence to rumors or stories not directly from the owners but this is first hand knowledge. Replaced my 3rd 3.2 Ranger within 2000 km due to oil pick up resonance and oil use, Ford Montana just said despite the recall they do not advise their technicians open the engine up for the recall as they do not have the confidence in their own ability. Multiple other failures on the family in laws' own and staff vehicles i.e. transfer case, air con, leaf springs, transmission ect. There must be some inherent design flaw maybe not in the block itself but some support system i.e. cooling, injectors ect. and the retooling of the factory or recalls would just be more expensive than replacing the engines. I spoke to the CEO of Ford SA last week during a visit at my home, the Ford Wildtrak 2.0 biturbo 4x4 costs around R320 000 to manufacture before delivery to the dealerships.

That's quite plausibleName:  2021-06-11 07_38_36-Window.png
Views: 358
Size:  6.4 KB
    Last edited by franshorn; 2021/06/11 at 07:39 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to franshorn For This Useful Post:

Got a guy that gave me his no yesterday. He says they have a complete 3.2 engine, not running, because they planted a Lexus.

Might be worth buying something like this and a stranded one and get it going again.

Just a question.
    Are there any of these engines that have died, that was fitted with a proper filter like UDF?
    Any of these that have died after the cat was removed?
    Any of these that have died after the EGR was blanked off?
    Any of these that have died, after a chip or a remap?
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by Henris View Post
    I think I must buy one of these problematic Fords and give it my my "upgrades". Then I will put the Uniglide brand all over it. See if it still breaks down.
    I would drive it before I brand it...
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    I would drive it before I brand it...

I will firstly do all I think is necessary. Then drive it like I stole it for at least a month. Then brand it.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

No engine replacements luckily but when it was replaced the repairs needed on it was more than the car was worth. Needed injectors, complete steering assembly, front calipers and clutch.

I must be lucky but I have never owned a vehicle that left me stranded next to the road. I'm no brand slut and have owned Mazda, Mercedes, VW, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, Suzuki and Mitsubishi.
    In what way? How old is yours, and how many engine replacements have you had so far?
    Last edited by Tom13; 2021/06/14 at 12:14 PM.
    Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 D-ID GLX LWB

All of this borders on pure speculation. Get an expert to investigate the engine, components, and all other ancillary parts to determine the cause(s) of the engine failure(s). Then (and only then) will you be able to say what the cause is and whether Ford’s engines can validly be opined to be this or that.

While you are (understandably) frustrated, to blame a new engine for an issue / cause that the relevant mechanic possibly failed to diagnose and address, is unfortunate.

2003 Ranger 2.5 XLT 4x4. Purchased new. 416000 km. Replaced shocks, tyres, brakes, propshaft computer box. Never broke down. Boost set at 0.9 bar. Nice vehicle. Very basic and hard ride. Scared of new LCVs

Default Second Engine Replacement Required for Ford Ranger less than 3 years?

My 2.2 ranger needed an engine replacement at 26k km. Got it back last week. Piston cracked due to bad injector, injectors also replaced. This is my third Ranger. Also my last.

Putting some kms on it and it will go back on Saturday for its 30k service and to sort out all the new installation niggles. Already had to go back for an oil leak that needed sorting.

The bakkie was at my local dealership (Somerset West) for a month. A faulty product is one thing, but bad support is another. Ford is dead to me.

My truck fleet is going all Isuzu, my bakkie will also when the current bakkie gets replaced. Hopefully I can service it at where my trucks go. Boland Isuzu Paarl. They are amazing.
    Last edited by PhlippieV; 2021/06/14 at 11:20 AM.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PhlippieV For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast