Default 160L compressor for my vehicle

I am in the market to buy a compressor for my 4x4. I can not help noticing the similarities in design & specs of the following 3 compressor's;

https://www.outdoorwarehouse.co.za/p...60l-compressor

https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/...flating-tyres/

https://www.ironman4x4.co.za/product...-160l-min-12v/

The bolts, platform, vented handle et. looks identical.

Is it possible that they are all one generic compressor that is rebranded? As the price difference is;

MAC AFRIC 160 is R 1695.00 vs TRAILBOSS 160 is R 2299.00 vs IRONMAN AIR CHAMP 160 is R 3750.00

Any person with advice - it will be much appreciated!

Default Re: 160L compressor for my vehicle

Basically the same thing. Rebranded and painted differently.

I have a midas “brand” version. Motoquip I think. Bought it 7 years ago and still working great. Looks exactly the same.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Langsaam For This Useful Post:

I've got the Ardendoff one. The 3 are identical other than the color and price. Mine has worked flawlessly since 2017. I've ditched the horrible yellow spiral hose and added a 3m extension pipe from IndeFlate to complement the IndeFlate 2 wheel unit. With this setup I can inflate all the Disco and caravan tyres from one power point without moving the compressor.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Langsaam View Post
    Basically the same thing. Rebranded and painted differently.

I have a midas “brand” version. Motoquip I think. Bought it 7 years ago and still working great. Looks exactly the same.
    Also have the Midas brand, works great.
    2008 Ford Ranger 3.0 XLT 4x4

I have a T-Max.

FIL bought it for me in 2012 and still works today. It's the 72lpm.

I am however surprised at the prices of these things. I think he paid R700 in 2012. Today they are going for about 2K. The 160LPM is R3800!
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

Quote Originally Posted by IcePick88 View Post
    I have a T-Max.

FIL bought it for me in 2012 and still works today. It's the 72lpm.

I am however surprised at the prices of these things. I think he paid R700 in 2012. Today they are going for about 2K. The 160LPM is R3800!

I bought my 160lpm Midas brand (Motoquip) in 2012 for R750. It was on special marked down from I think R1200 or something.
    Prices have become crazy. Also on the variation between the different brands of the same thing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Langsaam For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    I've got the Ardendoff one. The 3 are identical other than the color and price. Mine has worked flawlessly since 2017. I've ditched the horrible yellow spiral hose and added a 3m extension pipe from IndeFlate to complement the IndeFlate 2 wheel unit. With this setup I can inflate all the Disco and caravan tyres from one power point without moving the compressor.
    ^^^ I did exactly what he did! Works great!
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    ^^^ I did exactly what he did! Works great!
    I did the same, but I made my own extension. One can buy the fittings and pipes at most decent hardware stores for next to nothing...
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

I do know that Outdoor Warehouse only provides a 6 month Warrantee. My 160l from them went belly up after 13 months. Bought a new 300l unit, 24 months later that is broken too.
    My thread on that:
    Trailboss 300l Compressor (4x4community.co.za)

As stated, these are very similar products. Check the Warrantee of each and take that into consideration when you do buy.
    2018 Triton 2.4 Di-D 4x4
    2010 Pajero Sport 3.2 Di-D (Sold LOVED it)
    2017 Jurgens XT140

Also looking to get the Ardendorf 160l one and couple that with a 2 wheel indeflate, so will be R3 380 all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Chino View Post
    Also looking to get the Ardendorf 160l one and couple that with a 2 wheel indeflate, so will be R3 380 all in.
    You won't be sorry.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

The adendorf one works perfect. I do see that it gets hot very quick. How does the othe 160 lpm perform?

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    I did the same, but I made my own extension. One can buy the fittings and pipes at most decent hardware stores for next to nothing...
    You will not make the main body of the Indeflate which matters, for next to nothing, unless you have a good decked out workshop. The beauty is not the pipes and fittings, but the central unit, to which the pipes and fittings attach for inflating and deflating. I also like making my own stuff, but am also of the opinion that money spent on the Indeflate is well spent and well worth it.

Those 160l/min compressors are also great value for money. Good design. Go for the cheapest deal - you spend a lot of money on brand name and colour, even though the design comes from the same drawing board. I keep mine as a backup to my ARB, which is in a different class, performance wise, and also price wise.
    Mike Lauterbach

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    You will not make the main body of the Indeflate which matters, for next to nothing, unless you have a good decked out workshop. The beauty is not the pipes and fittings, but the central unit, to which the pipes and fittings attach for inflating and deflating. I also like making my own stuff, but am also of the opinion that money spent on the Indeflate is well spent and well worth it.

Those 160l/min compressors are also great value for money. Good design. Go for the cheapest deal - you spend a lot of money on brand name and colour, even though the design comes from the same drawing board. I keep mine as a backup to my ARB, which is in a different class, performance wise, and also price wise.
    Mike, I did not mean to imply I made the indeflate. I made the 3 metre extension.
    Ian de Villiers
    Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

19. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Mike, I did not mean to imply I made the indeflate. I made the 3 metre extension.
    Sorry, I was not reading properly. I also made another extension for it.
    Mike Lauterbach

21. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Well I bought a semi decent one from front runner. It gave out on the first use. I think the problem was I was in Sodwana in December, so ambient was hot. I also did the boat trailer tyres first and they needed to be on 3.5Bar, so that gave it a heavy workout. By the time I was on the second car tyre it could not really get to much over 2 bar anymore.

They don't mention a duty cycle and I would assume that you need to give these things long rests between each tyre? I normally run my bakkie tyres around 1.8bar which would probably be fine with these cheapies, but when towing and heavily loaded, I run the rear tyres at 2.3-2.5 and the fronts at around 2.1-2.2, but I think it was the tailer tyres at 3.5 that killed it.

I am sure this is the difference between the many many $$$ of the ARB compressors vs the Chinese crappy ones that are sold in various guises.

Quote Originally Posted by stephenplumb View Post
    Well I bought a semi decent one from front runner. It gave out on the first use. I think the problem was I was in Sodwana in December, so ambient was hot. I also did the boat trailer tyres first and they needed to be on 3.5Bar, so that gave it a heavy workout. By the time I was on the second car tyre it could not really get to much over 2 bar anymore.

They don't mention a duty cycle and I would assume that you need to give these things long rests between each tyre? I normally run my bakkie tyres around 1.8bar which would probably be fine with these cheapies, but when towing and heavily loaded, I run the rear tyres at 2.3-2.5 and the fronts at around 2.1-2.2, but I think it was the tailer tyres at 3.5 that killed it.

I am sure this is the difference between the many many $$$ of the ARB compressors vs the Chinese crappy ones that are sold in various guises.
    You need to give it a rest yes. My T-Max does say so in the manual. But cannot recall the intervals and how long.

But, going on the dunes, my tires are down to 1.2-1.0 bar, and I pump all 4 back up to 2.2bar without letting the pump rest.
    I never pump more than those pressures and amount of tires.
    My ryding: 'n Ding met 4 rubber sirkels en n enjin wat nou en dan aangedryf word met al 4 sirkels

I have a 160l (I guess Chinese) in the car. Used it now for 10yrs. Still going strong.

When I pump tyres, it is 10 of them. And yes, on the last 2-3 tyres it will stop, due to the heat. But she still delivers well.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

I have used the Adendorff 160L for a few years now and I regularly inflate my six tyres from 1.2 - 1.4 back to 2.3 - 2.5 without the thermal cut off switch activating, even in very hot ambient temperatures. The compressor does get hot, as they all do.

https://www.adendorff.co.za/product/...flating-tyres/

As mentioned elsewhere, do yourself a favor and get the Indeflate and hose, ditch the yellow coiled hose and its connectors.

http://www.indeflate.co.za/products-...te-detail.html

http://www.indeflate.co.za/products-...se-detail.html

Be aware that these compressors can draw up top 45amps, so make sure your engine is running and if you plug it in somewhere else in the vehicle, make sure the fuse on that cable is rated for it.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8
    Conqueror Courage 2016

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

I normally monitor my compressor by touch. As soon as I cannot touch it, I let it cool off. So yes it does take a while but I have never lost a compressor. We normally plan it with a stop to eat etc.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post: